PDA

View Full Version : Nana-San-Ichi (Naruto D20 IC)

Paragon Badger
2010-05-21, 11:57 PM
Team Makoto's C rank mission: The secret expedition!

Some villagers mining in the western mountains claim to have come upon the expired barrier seal of an ancient shinobi stronghold from back in the days of the clans. The Kawa Daimyo and his counselers have deemed this a perfect opportunity to study the ruins and gleam from it whatever information they can. Considering how most of the clan fortresses and tombs throughout this land have already been plundered, the elders predict a treasure-trove of lost jutsus and advanced techniques to come of this expedition. As a result, the jounin Makoto, with his advanced knowledge of ninja lore and almost encyclopedic knowledge of lost and forbidden jutsus, has been dispatched with his genin to the location. After his team secures the site of all its' immediate treasures and finds that the danger is minimal, an official excavation team will go in.

However, the exact location of the fortress is unknown to us, and the area's proximity to Sunagakure is a concern. For this, we have hired a local wandering-nin to act as a guide through the area. She knows the area well, and will be able to lead Team Makoto through a path that the Suna Nin don't know about. This kunoichi will be found waiting for the team in the village of six falls.

This mission is top secret, but it remains foremost an expeditionary effort, and little danger is expected. If however, any trouble arises... try and contain the situation until help can arrive. Kyoukokugakure must be the first ones to get to this fortress!

Makoto and his genin walked along the path in the middle of the forest with his hands upon the straps of his backpack, smiling cheerfully as they went. He wore small glasses, had crazy and dishevled brown hair that hung loosely down the back of his neck, and the pockets and flaps of his ninja vest were always opened and unkempt in one way or another. But, as almost every ninja did, he wore the ninja forehead protector of his village, Kyoukokugakure's image depicting a 'V'-like ravine split in two by what was to resemble a river.

"Ho ho!" He said, turning back to his genin and smiling as he closed his eyes, "This looks like the village where we're supposed to find this wandering-nin. I believe the contract says we're to meet her in a local tavern."

"Saito. Elzren, Yamagi..." Makoto began to say, his voice turning deadly serious and his eyes narrowing to emphasis the point, "We don't really know who this kunoichi is, what her motivations are, or what she's capable of..."

"...So be polite!" He added, smiling again, "But we can't reveal all the details of our mission to this kunoichi, so I'll explain everything now."

"The villagers who found these ruins live in the land of rivers, and they aren't too keen on giving away all their crops to the starved desert-nins across the mountains, so it would be fairly safe to assume that we're the only ones aware of the situation." Makoto said, "But be on your guard. The borders between nations are hazy, and the Suna Nin could be operating in the area by coincidence."

"They've long been looking for an excuse to invade the land of rivers, and I wouldn't be so quick to give them one." He said with a smile as he closed his eyes.

"But..." He added, pushing his glasses up his nose, "No matter what, they must not find the tomb. Suna's military is powerful, and were it not for our defenses, they would have invaded long ago. The artifacts and lost records in this place could tip the balance for either side. Our efforts today could decide Kyoukokugakure's future, no... the world's!"

"...Any questions?"

Turalisj
2010-05-22, 12:26 AM
Yamagi stepped forward, If needed, are we to eliminate this missing nin? She spoke with her cheery, almost creepy grin. And, will there be any suna-nin expected?

Yamagi was dressed in her usual mission atire; dark green-grey camoflague shirt and pants, with a kunai holster at one side. She had a pair of fingerless gloves on, with each finger having a metal ring on it. Over this, she wore a travelling cloak. Nothing realy stood out about her, except maybe her unnaturaly pale skin.

senrath
2010-05-22, 12:30 AM
"None that I can think of right now." Elzren said as he adjusted his traveling cloak and mentally took stock of his surroundings. He was wondering why such an important find only had a single team dispatched to investigate it, but he figured that there was a reason and it wasn't that important that he find out why.

When Yagami spoke he rolled his eyes and suppressed a shudder. There was something about the girl that rubbed him the wrong way. He'd be glad of the day that they went their separate ways, and he no longer had to put up with her.

horngeek
2010-05-22, 12:36 AM
Natsumi, meanwhile, was sipping tea in the local tavern, keeping half an eye on the door, half an eye watching for anyone who might attack her- a force of habit- and listening to the music, as well. If they want to get there before nightfall, they'd better get here soon... and just to be sure, I'll tell them straight up I'm not in anyone's Bingo Books. I have no wish to repeat that experience a couple of months ago.

Her dark blue hair blended with her black travelling cloak and dark green ninja outfit, and she had her belt pouch and kunai holster at oppisite sides. Her backpack was on the floor next to her, and she kept an eye on it.

Paragon Badger
2010-05-22, 01:56 AM
"If it becomes neccesary." Makoto replied with a solemn nod, "Then yes. The secrets we discover in these ruins must be kept secrets, and we don't know who we can trust. I know it's a tough situation that the Kawa Daimyo has forced on you rookies, but every other team is out on mission and we were the only ones available."

"But maybe that was for the best." He added with a smile, turning around and walking backwards to speak to his trainees, "Better they send some bookish nerd like me than a muscle-headed dimwit who'll go around wrecking the place."

Makoto laughed to himself, but soon stumbled about and nearly fell when he walked backwards and placed his foot on a wobbly rock at a funny angle.

His eyes widened, he looked thoroughly embarressed as he tried to laugh it off.

"Weeeelllll... I don't expect there to be any other ninja this far inside the land of rivers, but that might change as we approach the target. The whole reason we've hired this unaffiliated kunoichi is because she knows some of the back roads and paths that neither we nor the Suna are aware of."

Meanwhile, in the village of six falls. Natsumi's time spent in the tavern was about as exciting as her paranoia would warrant. For the most part, the people of this town saw ninja come and go, even village-less ones, and paid them no mind with the exception of a little wary respect or fear.

The motonomy was broken, suddenly, when a crow fluttered through the entrance to the tavern, sending a few of the women in a fright and the owner became irate, grabbing a broom as he hobbled over to where the bird perched atop the coat-stand. It kawwed loudly, "Ba-Ka!" as it eluded his furious bristle-swipes.

"We'll cut her loose when we get to the target." Makoto said, "And then I'll send a message to signal the ecavation team, with directions to the location. After we do a quick sweep of the place, we'll call it a day and sit back until they get there."

horngeek
2010-05-22, 02:03 AM
Natsumi sighs at the noise, and starts to walk over. "Do you want some help with that?"

Paragon Badger
2010-05-22, 02:32 AM
The barkeep sighed, gritting his teeth as he regarded Natsumi. "Lousy thing." He muttered, letting the broom fall to the floor as he relaxed his 'battlestance.'

The crow fluttered away, kawwing again as it triumphantly stood atop the owner's stool.

"Baka!" It taunted again.

The owner began to angrily pursue his tormentor when suddenly, from the window flew a hawk aimed straight at the crow. They narrowly avoided one another, and danced throughout the room in spirals and circles until they both seperated and flew away through different exits, each as fast as they had arrived.

horngeek
2010-05-22, 02:34 AM
Natsumi raises an eyebrow. "How often does that sort of thing happen, anyway?"

Turalisj
2010-05-22, 10:18 PM
Where is sato-kun? Yamagi said, tilting her head. She was playing with a kunai now, balancing it on one finger and flipping it in the air.

Paragon Badger
2010-05-23, 10:04 PM
Makoto turned back, arching an eyebrow as Saito was far behind the group, captivated by a roadside flower.

The village of six falls was quiet and serene, and the group of shinobi entering it just after Natsumi caused a little bit of concern around the populace. Still, considering that they took the effort to warn the Ravine of their find (no doubt with a little monetary gratitude), things could have been worse.

They soon found the tavern, and with Makoto in front of his team, he began looking around the room as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. Eying Natsumi, he smiled and strode up to her.

"You must be our guide! Pleased to meet you." He said with a smile after he gave her a quick bow.

"I am the Jounin Makoto, and these are my genin; Saito, Ezlren, and Yamagi." The ninja said, pushing up his glasses, "I trust you haven't been waiting long?"

Just trying to keep things moving, if Nathaniel or anyone else has any more plot questions, PM me or post in the OOC thread and it'll be assumed to have been discussed off-camera, so to speak.

horngeek
2010-05-23, 10:11 PM
"Not too long, but we need to get moving. The path we're taking will take the rest of the day.

My name's Natsumi."

Turalisj
2010-05-24, 08:16 AM
Yamaga tilted her head at Namtsumi, giving a wide toothy grin. Greetings Natsumi-san. My name is Yamagi. Makoto-kun said we could kill you if you got too nosy. She gave a little laugh, as if what she said was a joke.

senrath
2010-05-24, 12:02 PM
Suppressing another shudder at Yamaga's casual statement, Elzren smiled at Natsumi. "I'm Elzren. Pleased to meet you."

horngeek
2010-05-24, 02:48 PM
"If we're going to be working together, don't joke about that again or the deal's off."

Natsumi scowls.

Paragon Badger
2010-05-25, 02:01 AM
Makoto's eyes widened, and his glasses fell down to the bridge.

"Uhm... There, there. That's no way to treat our guest." He mumbled, offering his hands up in apology.

He sighed as he pushed his glasses up the bridge of his nose. So far, the genin's experiences with their jounin instructor have been... less than stellar. He was clumsy, forgetful, and all too often helpless in such situations as these. Wherever his talents may lay, he was keeping them close to his chest.

"I apologize." He said, putting his hand ontop of Yamagi's head, "You understand the way of shinobi. This mission is sensitive, and it would be our duty, however regretful it might be, to preserve its' secrecy at all costs."

"So please." He continued, closing his eyes and smiling, "Don't take it personally, Natsumi-kun."

"Alright then. We should get moving if we hope to get there before nightfall." He said as he pushed Yamagi and all his other genin out of the tavern by gently herding them with his outstretched palms.

When he had sufficiently eluded scrutiny, the jounin's bloodvessel poked out of his temple and he grit his teeth. 'I said to be polite...' He thought, but in the end, admonishment would likely be the extent of his punishment, and Makoto lamented his own inability to control his team...

horngeek
2010-05-25, 02:16 AM
Natsumi scowls. Scowls, but nods. "I didn't really want to know anyway. Just so you don't get any ideas about 'overreacting', killing me wouldn't get you a single bloodline, or ryo for that matter- I'm not in any Bingo Books. And I don't have any techs your village doesn't already have. We clear? Then let's get moving, unless you want to be travelling through the night."

Turalisj
2010-05-26, 03:25 PM
Yamagi stopped smiling for a second, then ran up and wrapped her arms around Natsumi. Yamagi like Natsumi-kun. Natsumi-kun has a good taste in humor.

senrath
2010-05-26, 03:33 PM
"Elzren thinks that Yamagi is a psycho." Elzren muttered under his breath as he walked along. He wanted to get this over and done with, so he could get away from the seemingly psychotic teammate of his.

horngeek
2010-05-26, 03:39 PM
Natsumi blinks. "Um... that's... nice... could you please get off me?"

Paragon Badger
2010-05-26, 10:25 PM
"See?" Makoto uncomfortably laughed, "Everything's splendid, eh?"

"Don't worry, Natsumi-Kun." The bookish jounin added, "It is also our mission to protect you, our guide, should anything go wrong. We rely upon your experience in the wilds to complete our task."

He forced another laugh, pushing up his glasses...

As they left the town, Makoto gradually abandoned his lead infront of the formation and allowed Natsumi to assume her role.

"From the previous intelligence that we've gathered, there is an obvious route to the location near one of the mountain passes leading into the Land of Wind..." He said, putting his hands in his pockets as he walked, "But just about everyone uses this path, and the odds of encountering or being surveilled by the Suna are much greater."

"So, Natsumi-kun. I have to ask..." He started, "If you've travelled this land enough to be familiar with all the little goat trails and paths that nobody else knows about... Then do you know why they call this place 'The Hollow Mountains?'"

Obviously it may literally mean that the mountains are filled with caves, but if anyone wants to make a Knowledge (Ninja Lore) or (History) check to see if they know the 'textbook answer.' Go for it.

horngeek
2010-05-26, 10:50 PM
Hmmm...

[roll0] Ninja Lore
[roll1] History

Paragon Badger
2010-05-27, 01:46 AM
"Mm?" Makoto hummed, "No one?"

"Well... I suppose it's natural. You're all very young, anyways. Still... History is important. If nobody learns from the past, then we're doomed to repeat the same old cycles of war and peace, each new iteration bringing only pain."

He sighed as they continued along the path, it getting rockier and rockier as they departed from the normal road.

"Well... back in old times, before the villages were created, there had been a clan called the Tenyobansen, who had been scattered all throughout the region from the Land of Rivers to the very borders of the Land of Lightning."

"The Tenyobansen had been a prolific clan, and there is a myth that their leader was an immortal shinobi who could not die." He continued, "The Tenyobansen were creditted for creating modern day medical ninjutsu, and they attracted countless followers for their miracles. They grew powerful."

"However... They were always embroiled in a three-way conflict with the Uchiha and the Senju. Shortly before the truce that founded Konoha, they found themselves engaged in two fronts, fighting Harashima Senju and Madara Uchiha for control of the Land of Fire."

"The details are infuriatingly absent. No one knows what became of their immortal clan leader, but the clan itself had found itself finally outmatched. The Senju and Uchiha clans won control of the Land of Fire, if not by destroying Tenyobansen... then at least in forcing them into exile. Upon founding Konoha, Harashima Senju decreed that any paper containing the information regarding the Tenyobansen was to be burned immediatly. Those who fought the Tenyobansen were sworn to secrecy, and there are some rumors of Tōka Senju casting a genjutsu upon everyone who ever met a Tenyobansen face-to-face."

"While the myth of the Tenyobansen's leader being immortal may be a slight exageration... there seems to be an inkling in truth to it, for Konoha had very explicitly sought to remove the Tenyobansen both physically and spiritually."

"In other words, they did not want anyone continuing Tenyobansen's legacy... 'But Sensei!' you must be wondering, 'That doesn't explain anything about these mountains!'"

He smiled, closing his eyes confidently, "It is said that while in exile, the Tenyobansen constructed elaborate underground fortresses. And the hollow mountains are rumored to be just that."

"Unfortunately, Konoha Ninjas have always been vehemently searching our lands for these ruins, as part of the open borders and mutual defense agreement. Combine that with the tomb raiders and dungeon delvers and see what has become of Tenyobansen's legacy, bits and pieces of valuable knowledge and treasure scattered to the four corners of the world by greed and fear."

He sighed, "It belongs in a museum."

"Ho." He softly exclaimed, looking up at the steep and narrow trail winding up ahead as he planted his sandal on a rock that extended up to his knees, "That looks tough."

"I don't suppose we've ever gone over the tree-climbing exercise before, eh?" He said with a smile, closing his eyes. "Just in case you happen to slip and fall off the trail, to tumble down the cliff..."

horngeek
2010-05-27, 01:49 AM
Natsumi looks at him. "Yeah, I'd advise we have some back-up method. Use rope to tether ourselves together."

Turalisj
2010-05-27, 10:41 PM
Yamagi tilted her head. Tree climbing?

senrath
2010-05-27, 11:03 PM
"Yeah. The Kinobori technique. It allows you to walk on nearly any solid surface, even straight up trees." Elzren said, in response to Yagami's question.

Paragon Badger
2010-05-28, 01:05 AM
"With the technique, chakra is focused into the feet and used to stick onto almost any surface, although the technique can be used with one's hands and anything else in contact with the wall or ceiling." The jounin explained, smiling as he pushed his glasses up.

He planted his foot on the side of the steep cliff face and started to walk up it, suspended in air as if gravity was pulling him towards the mountain instead of down.

Makoto put his hand in one of his unkempt vest pockets, just narrowly stopping a small bottle from slipping out and falling to the ground. "Okay, this'll be a rough climb, guys."

He produced a handful of pills and offered them to his team (and Natsumi) in his closed fist so gravity wouldn't steal them, "Soldier pills. If anyone gets tired or needs a little extra energy, just take one."

"And if anyone falls." He said with a smile as he closed his eyes. "Don't worry. I'll catch you."

Everyone can begin learning Shuugyou: Kinobori no Waza (Training: Act of Tree Climbing) with a +5 tutor bonus w/ Makoto's Technical Knowledge. Training in this fashion will allow you to use the Kinobori technique (even if you don't have it) for the duration of the trip...

But because each individual rock wall won't be addressed on-camera, assume that you've used Kinobori 4 times, costing you 4 chakra in addition to each hour that you've spent training, which reduces your chakra pool by 10% ...so it's your call whether you want to partake in it or not.

If you choose not to train or expend your chakra and make normal climb checks, make 4 rolls to surpass a DC of 15. It's a DC 10 with rope. No climbing gear neccesary.

Basically, the timeskip will probably occur before you have the chance to spend 8 days training... BUT, for the time being, you'll have a lesser version of kinobori to climb the mountain and when the prologue ends, I'll allow everyone to learn Kinobori no Waza for free. For Elzren and Natsumi, who already know Kinobori... there's still the +1 to chakra control checks from Shuugyou. :smallwink: Otherwise you can conserve your chakra and just show off.

So...technically, you don't have to make any rolls at all for learn checks if you'll just learn the technique when they grow up... BUT if you want to familiarize yourself with the (somewhat convoluted) learn system, go for it.

Was that WAY too much text? Please let me know if I didn't make any sense. :smallbiggrin:

Everyone using Kinobori will make it up the mountain in 4 hours. Anyone climbing manually will make it up in 4 hours unless they fail a check, which increases the time by 30 minutes. If you fail by 5 or more, add an hour to the time.

horngeek
2010-05-28, 01:09 AM
Natsumi shrugs, and takes one of the pills, slipping it into her pocket, before starting to climb up in the same way as the Jounin. "That works, too."

Training! +1 Chakra Control is always nice.

Turalisj
2010-05-28, 08:34 AM
Yamagi smiled and started walking up the side of the mountain, humming to herself along the way.

taking a 10 on the learn DC

senrath
2010-05-28, 03:04 PM
Nodding, Elzren takes one of the proffered pills, and began to follow Makoto up the mountain.

Training, as Elzren is not one to show off. Also taking 10.

Paragon Badger
2010-05-28, 10:26 PM
"Haaaa." Makoto sighed when they reached one of the higher parts of the mountain, a few hours later. "Good job, guys. I'm so very proud of you!"

The jounin closed his eyes and smiled.

Elsewhere, in an adobe sand hut, an adolsecent girl sat atop a bed kicking her dangling feet back and forth impatiently. The girl was blonde, wearing an oversized scarf that went down to her waist over her robes, with large boots. Her eyes were framed in black.

A woman, sitting at her desk and squinting through one eye at a vial of liquid before her, sighed. 'Ignoring the problem isn't going to get rid of her, I see...' The woman thought. The woman was dressed in an entirely black jumpsuit, featureless and not exactly the most flattering choice, considering her modest bodyshape. Her head was covered in a bunraku cap forehead protector with Sunagakure's symbol upon it.

The girl vented her boredom by idly playing with the ninja vest splayed out on the bed and then, a short while later, trying to put it on, the thing clearly too large for her as only the top of her head poked out from the collar.

The woman sighed. "Aimi. What are you doing?" She asked, her gaze still not departing from the vial in her fingers.

"Seeenseeeiii" The girl whined, "You promised you'd teach me something special this afternoon! I want to learn everything I can, so I can grow up to become Sunagakure's youngest kunoichi jounin!"

"Ha." The woman replied, "You have until your sixteenth birthday if you want to beat me."

"Senseeii!"

'What a bother.' The woman thought, 'Why did the Kazekage assign the village's top jounin to waste her valuable time to teach this little brat?'

'Oh. Right.' She reminded herself with a sour smile, 'That's why.'

"Senseeeeeiiii! Stop trying to impress that old geezer and teach me!" Aimi said, still struggling in the vest.

'I have too much to worry about right now than to indulge a girl in her fantasies.' She thought, 'I may never get another chance to compare my poisons to the honored recipes of the feudal era...'

"Oh-kay!" Makoto said with a smile, "Natsumi-kun... You mentioned that we could get there before nightfall... so we should be about halfway there, eh? Let's take a break, guys!"

He sat down cross-legged and put his backpack on his lap, burrowing through it. "You know... just taking the obvious path in clear view probably would have only taken us about a half-hour."

Everyone spends 4 chakra and an additional 40% of their max chakra pool training. It's aproximately 4 o'clock.

Turalisj
2010-05-28, 11:58 PM
Yamagi was panting by the time they reached the top of the trail, the use of chakra obviously having a toll on the young kunoichi. She found a nice tree, then promptly fell asleep.

horngeek
2010-05-30, 08:45 PM
Natsumi, on the other hand, sat down on the ground. "Short rest... we can't afford much more than that."

senrath
2010-05-31, 06:56 PM
Elzren remained standing, hiding his tiredness well. Looking around, he stretched and spoke. "How much of a risk would it have been, though, to go up the obvious path?"

Paragon Badger
2010-05-31, 08:26 PM
"I can't say for sure." The jounin replied, pulling out a few packs of instant noodles from his backpack, along with a small cauldron.

"The droughts in recent years have hit the Land of Winds hard. Suna is just looking for any excuse to wage war upon the Land of Rivers, so as to be able to justify it to the other shinobi nations and avert retalliation." He explained, "No doubt they have a greater number of shinobi posted along observation points in the borders than normal."

Holding the small cauldron in the palm of his hand, Makoto puffed his cheeks up and poured a decent pint or two of water into the container. His hand grew red hot, and the water started to boil.

"Who wants Raaaamen?" He said with a smile as he closed his eyes.

"Oh-kay." He said at last, when they had all finished their quick rest. He looked over to Yamagi, and then hopped over to stand on a branch of the tree overlooking her.

He held the half-emptied cauldron on a long stick, dangling it over her head perilously (seemingly unaware of what sort of disaster could result if he slipped up and spilled the hot water on his genin)

"Heeeeyy. Yamagi-kun! Your meal's gonna get cold if you don't wake up soon." He said, hunching over her.

Makoto smiled again, standing up straight and pushing up his glasses.

"Hm?"

He looked over his shoulder, his attention caught by the view beyond.

From where they had camped, one needed only climb up that tree or a few more rocks and they would be able to see the vast expanses of the lifeless brown desert to the west, in the Land of Wind. Itself a stark contrast to the verdant river-laden lands that the team had called home. One needed only turn their head to compare the two radically distinct worlds.

The envy that Suna had for Kyoukoku must have been immense, and it seemed that all the villagers' fears of invasion were true; and that a war with the greater nation was inevitable. It was just a powderkeg that needed a spark.

"Natsumi-kun." he said, hopping down to the ground, "Please tell me that there won't be any more climbing? ...If I recall, there are a few caves and gorges that we'll have to cross before we circle back around to the objective."

"Speaking of which... The tomb was been apparantly sealed by a powerful jutsu many many years ago. We've mapped out this area once before, when Kyoukoku was founded, but it might have been protected by a genjutsu that prevented anyone from noticing. Seeing as how a common villager stumbled upon the ruins just recently, it's safe to say that this seal, along with most of the others in the area, has worn off."

"Still, there may still be mechanical traps or some other defense mechanisms in there that we'll have to worry about. Make sure you're all prepared."

Turalisj
2010-06-01, 08:27 AM
Yamagi woke up, stretching. As she stretched, razor thin wires from her glove lashed out towards the branch that Makoto was sitting on. She looked at him with a bored look on her eyes and whispered quietly. I would rather you not be so foolish in waking ourselves up. It is a wonder the valley-nin exist at all.

Her expression suddenly changed, and her usual creepy smile came over her face. Makoto-sensei?

Paragon Badger
2010-06-05, 03:39 AM
Makoto didn't notice Yamagi's reaction at all. He was too focused on the view from up above, but clearly perception was not this jounin's strongpoint. Nor was diplomacy, hand-eye coordination (without the assistance of a little chakra at least), and most of his peers at the academy would note that he was always picked last when they divided up teams to play ninja.

He looked down, though, to hear his student' groggy murmuring.

"Ah, nothing." He said, dropping down and patting Yamagi on the head.

They continued on the path that Natsumi set before them, instead of climbing and jumping from atop perilous cliffs, they twisted and turned around some narrow goat-trails that led them through a few ravines and caves.

As they travelled through one particular cave, something dripped from the ceiling, plopping casually on the ground floor. Makoto held an improvised torch; a mere stick, doised with oil he created from his body, and a flame on its' tip.

He looked up, and the flame intensified with his concentration, illuminating the whole area.

"Interesting..." He said as the entire cave wall... begun to writhe.

Suddenly, the writhing mass of forms had begun to consolidate upon a quadripedal creature in the darkness of the cave, and it was revealed to have been covered in a mass of thick black threads. "This... is unusual."

Makoto put his fingers to his chin, thinking to himself about this anomaly. The mass of writhing threads had at last formed one continous shape; that of a many-legged black ball of tentacles, with two abcesses indicating that it had eyes somewhere deep beneath the mass of worm-like creatures. Eyes that were staring straight at the team.

"I don't sense a genjutsu... or even any techniques nearby." Makoto said, "No... this is an animal, and its' chakra feels like one but... warped somehow."

Initiative checks!

Do you want a map or no? Basically, you are 15 to 30 ft. away from 'it.', depending on your location. Natsumi and Makoto are probably in front.

senrath
2010-06-05, 04:01 AM
"Well, whatever it is, it's in the way. And I don't like the way it's looking at us." Elzren said, as he assumed a defensive posture. He wasn't sure what the thing in front of them was, or if it could even be fought, but he knew that they couldn't give up without trying.

[roll0]
A map would be nice, but not required. And Elzren would likely be in the middle of the group.

Turalisj
2010-06-05, 10:58 AM
[roll0] Initiative Roll
Entering Kousen Kyu for 2 Chakra
How long was Yamagi able to rest/regain chakra for?

Yamagi yawned and stood up. There was a barely perceptable change in her posture, and thin wires snaked themselves out of her gloves.

Paragon Badger
2010-06-05, 10:16 PM
Likely none at all. Still, a soldier pill grants 2d4+1 temporary chakra and an immunity to fatigue from having half or 1/4th of your maximum chakra pool.

Makoto Initiative: [roll0]
Monster Initiative: [roll1]

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c287/Innocentemo/cave1.jpg

Obstacles require 10 ft. of movement to cross instead of 5, and count as 1/4th cover. A DC 15 tumble check can negate this.

Edit: What do you guys think of a homebrew rule that'll say that any character who succedes a reflex save will fly in a random direction (rolled by a d8, ignoring any result that would send them off a cliff or something) to the edge of the ability's damage range.

It could be used to seperate groups, both the PCs and the enemies that'll outnumber you.. and generally keep combat somewhat random and interesting as the terrain changes. I plan on utilizing alot of weird terrain in battles.

Turalisj
2010-06-06, 01:14 AM
Attacking with battlewire on blobbeast
[roll0]
[roll1]

Yamagi moved her fingers slightly as gouges appeared in the ground, headed towards the creature. I'll make mr.monster look nice.

Paragon Badger
2010-06-18, 02:01 AM
Yamagi's wires slice into the mass of flesh, and strands of the black thread fell down to the floor as segments of it were cut and diced.

The beast recoiled, sending all of its' limbs inward, revolting from the pain. It surged and warped, preparing for an attack.

"Be careful, guys... I've never seen anything quite like this before. We can't afford to underestimate this... thing. I would prefer we keep it alive so we can study it... but if worse comes to worse..."

Makoto formed some handseals. With them completed, he pulled out a sealing scroll from one of his pockets and clasped it in his hands. As he let go, the seal expanded and enveloped the monster.

It groaned in protest, trembling as it shrugged off the effects, immediatly after it broke free from the technique, a torrent of threads flew out and lashed at Makoto's arms, apparantly as he expected. They latched onto him, cutting into his flesh as his arms became wrapped in the creature's tentacles.

He gritted his teeth, but grappled with the beast and broke free, tearing off a few strands of black thread as he called out, "Now! Attack it all at once while it's distracted!"

Makoto uses Soukubaku Fuuin. DC: 20
Monsters' Fortitude Save: [roll0]
Creature makes a full round action to attack Makoto.
Attack 1: 11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2568216/)
Attack 2: [roll1]
Attack 3: [roll2]
Attack 4: [roll3]
Damage 1: [roll4]
Damage 2: [roll5]
Damage 3: [roll6]
Damage 4: [roll7]
Makoto's Grapple Check: [roll8]
Monster's Grapple Check: 16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2568215/)

That's what I get for staying up to post. Choppy syntax. x_x Rolled on Invisible Castle.

horngeek
2010-06-18, 03:20 AM
Natsumi quickly makes several handsigns. "Mizudan no Jutsu!"

She spurts out a stream of water at the beast.

Half damage on reflex of... apparently, DC 25.

[roll0]

senrath
2010-06-18, 08:42 PM
Lunging forwards, Elzren channeled some of his chakra into the palm of his hand and lashed out at the beast. His intent was not to injure, but to distract, and weaken, making it easier for his allies to deal with the strange creature.

Using Rendan Kidouki. If I hit the target's Touch AC (probably the same as it's normal AC, unless it has natural armor), it loses its Dex bonus to armor until it is next attacked. It also loses its next turn.

[roll0]

Turalisj
2010-06-19, 11:57 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]

Yamagi licked her lips, tugging her hands back as more gouges scoured the land.

Paragon Badger
2010-06-20, 12:45 AM
Yamagi's wires ripped and tore at the threads more and more, and the creature groaned in annoyance as more and more of its' tentacles fell to the floor, inert once they were seperated from the main host.

Natsumi's water blast rushes towards the creature, and it seems to weave and duck around as if it wasn't sure exactly was coming towards it. It's all for naught, however, as the slow and cumbersome tangle of black threads begins to push away from the blast, revealing a.... boar underneath?

It was only an instant when the waterblast pushed away the myriad of threads covering it, but it was long enough for everyone to get a glimpse of a boar's head, covered in stitches. Its skin was splitting open at a few of the stitches, letting the mass of tangly threads loose from its' body.

They all swarmed back over seconds later, however, obscuring the creature's true form.

Then came Elzren, and as his fist came flying through the air, the tentacles writhed out of the way, and he nearly missed the creature entirely... except that the boar couldn't move out of the way like the threads could. He struck it square on the nose, and it groaned in protest. The threads came back down, almost enveloping Elzren's arm in them before he could clear himself from harm.

"Crap!" Makoto exclaimed, "This animal must be some kind of shinobi experiment... If this thing is what I think it is... then it could take out of these genin in one attack!"

'We're too close. If it decides to attack one of the genin, they might get caught up in it...' He thought, 'I can't afford to go easy on it...'

"Doton: Touriki!!!"

The jounin slammed his hand into the floor beneath them, and a giant pillar of earth started to rise right under the mass of writhing tentacles' body. It seemed to look down, for a moment, then it was suddenly crushed into the ceiling of the cave wall by the giant slab of rock beneath it.

"Huh." Makoto said as they were all enveloped in a shroud of dust from the jutsu, "Think I overdid it?"

When the dust settled, there was a wall infront of the team... and some writhing threads wriggling from a crack at the top of the newly created wall.

"Man! It's still alive?" Makoto groaned as he massaged the back of his neck, "...But at least it's completely immobilized now."

"The first lesson about being a shinobi... don't ever go easy on your opponent." He said with a bit of a chuckle as the creature spasmed in protest. "A mission might require you to kill your opponent... It's easy when you're up against something like this, or an enemy shinobi."

"...But don't forget that most genin graduate their academies before they even hit their thirteenth birthday. They're just like you guys, but on the other side of the fence... If war comes to these lands, Sunagakure will send all of its' shinobi after us... Treat a genin the same way you would treat the jounin who killed your squadmate, or you could only end up dead yourself."

There was a long, cold, silence... and then Makoto laughed uneasily. "Or something like that!" He added, "Say... what are we gonna do about that thing, huh?"

He looked up at the still-living beast pinned up against the ceiling from his jutsu. "It'll stay up there for... Well, I'd say about three hours."

Tired of using the forum's die roller.. I mess up on it too much. :P Also tired of using a map.

Also tired of this fight, as it serves no real importance to the story other than foreshadowing 731's purpose. :smalltongue: I forgot that half-way through and when I made the map, and I didn't make an easy avenue of escape for the monster like I had planned earlier.

It was supposed to take a few potshots at the team and then get frightened off, and then return later on when they were in a more... precarious position.

Although Makoto can always dismiss the jutsu and you can try and hack away at its' remaining hp... which is still... alot.

While it has no ninjutsu techniques and doesn't know how to utilize its' energy spit, the boar's strongest form of attack is the tentacle rake swarm... but it has such high hp that it can simply outlast most attackers who rely upon chakra. Even Makoto spent nearly a quarter of his chakra on it to kill one heart, and it has fast healing to boot.

In short; a very boring encounter.

Turalisj
2010-07-02, 03:37 AM
Yamagi tilted her head."Why not send big black thing to wind land?"