PDA

View Full Version : The Great Ocean

Volthawk
2010-05-22, 04:59 AM
The town of Morsbury is quite prosperous, as it sits in the place where most trade routes, by land and sea, cross. Ships come, crossing through the huge canal in the center, while land traders use the place to resupply and rest. The canal bridge is an interesting contraption, made by a top team of artificers, who somehow made the bridge able to split along the middle, and for each end to rise up.

Gauntlet

You are in a tavern, the White Flask, by the canal. It is mostly quiet in there, although a group of elves are starting to get a bit rowdy.

Gloom

You are standing on a beach, and looking around, you can see a pipe behind you, and some kind of settlement to the east.

Q'Darn

The ship you currently work on has stopped in the town to resupply, and you have been given some time off while everything is sorted out.

Sophia

You are in the ocean, and can see a strange man, all shadowy black, standing on the nearby beach.

Obrysii
2010-05-22, 06:48 AM
The water in this part of the world was so something - so full of life. Sophie appreciated this - her natural druidic nature made her love this. Her mind bubbled with possibilities - what effect to be used to draw this sensation to others? She didn't know.

Her eyes' gaze leaned forward - up, out of the water, past the vision she was designed for, a dark-viewed man. She began to surface, to peak her head out - her hair matching the color of beautiful water.

It was a dark man she'd never seen before; and though she felt she was well hidden, she made no attempt to actively conceal herself.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-22, 01:18 PM
Gauntlet leans against a wall in the back of the tavern, his arms crossed over his chest as a pair of smoky red eyes survey the room back and forth.

His body is jet-black and unreflective from head to toe, the only deviation from this is the pair of red eyes that are slowly scanning back and forth across the tavern's common room. It takes one or two looks to notice he's there at all, his body blends so well with the shadowy corner. His chest is broad and he's taller than most, but generally, he looks like any warforged, except for the jet-black coloration.

His eyes settle upon a band of elves as they begin to grow overly loud, emboldened by drink and each other.

Falconknight06
2010-05-23, 12:45 PM
Well, I guess it is time for me to go get a drink the large Orca-like man says to himself in his native tongue as he begins heading towards the nearest bar. He is dressed plainly in a pair of oilskin pants with a bandolier holding two spears strapped across his back. His belt hold four tightly folded nets on it. His eyes seem to be constantly scanning everything around him as he walks, almost as if he were expecting to be jumped at any moment.

Tacitus
2010-05-24, 03:02 PM
Shade

Though wire thin the dark man exudes an aura of power and vitality with the faintest hint of mystery. His eyes are slightly sunken and nearly pure black, however, the sclera of his eyes are a bright azure that glimmer with a light all their own. His hair has either all fallen out or been shaved away. Over a weave of metal links kept close to his chest he wears what might have once been a noble's outfit of some considerable standing. The sleeves are sliced to ribbons past the midpoint of the forearm and blood stains mar the creamy white undershirt to give it a pinkish hue. A small black dagger twirls between his fingertips as he inhales deeply, taking in the scent of the sea, really taking it in for the first time. The dagger moves faster than the eye can see, bouncing across his fingers and swirling about only to drop away from his hand and appear sliding along his forearm when he flicks is wrist to bring it back to his palm. Along each forearm down to his palms are a pair of black scars which show where once he was cut down the length of his arm and his flesh cauterized.

His gaze is unfocused, he cares little for what might be out to sea. For now it seems that this new settlement might at least hole some small measure of interest. Though, just how far was it? He couldn't really tell at the moment, he'd have to think about what sort of distance it could be. Libraries, perhaps, or a sage he could beat half to death in questioning. He spares a glance behind him to the pipe, contemplating just what it is. What sort of pipe would be sticking out a beach? A sewer pipe perhaps? He'd have to get closer, as at the moment it seemed rather indistinct with no true detail about it at all.

Obrysii
2010-05-24, 03:43 PM
There was something wrong here - she sensed a disturbance, something that shouldn't be. She coughed, and in coughing sunk into the ocean to hide - though she focused her mind on her little-used power: shifting of her form into a mobilized, specialized form. Below the surface, numerous changes would beholden her, but she didn't worry too much. It was shallow water.

Out onto land - moving with a swiftness unlike her native form would know, a medium-sized black cat, perhaps a panther or otherwise, darted outwards - stopping when within visual range of the black shadowy man, the source of her uneasiness.

But the form had a weakness - speech, spells; neither would work. And if she morphed back, she'd be out of sync with this nature.

Her curiosity may have bested her once again.

[Sophie uses Shapeshift to take on the Form of the Predator in order to gain a viable land speed - using it to take her closer to the Gloom.]

Volthawk
2010-05-25, 01:16 PM
Shade:
You notice a black big cat walking up behind you, having come out of the ocean. How and why, you do not know.

Gauntlet:
The elves get rowdier and rowdier, until one pulls out a dagger, followed by the others. There are four in the group. They all look pretty drunk, and none look particularly tough. The barkeep ducks under the bar, while everyone else just ignores them.

Tacitus
2010-05-25, 03:16 PM
Shade

"Not a seawolf, then. I am not up to snuff on my marine biology, but a great big cat doesn't seem the kind of thing to emerge from an ocean in these parts. I might have believed a dog."

Obrysii
2010-05-25, 04:20 PM
The thing approached - but made no sound. No sound save for a clumsy gate; it was clear the being was not accustomed to walking on the land.

The beach is so dirty - I much prefer the ocean, Sophie thought to herself.

Falconknight06
2010-05-26, 08:17 PM
volt, am I in the bar with gauntlet? I was heading to a bar for a drink

Volthawk
2010-05-27, 12:27 AM
Q'Darn

You walk into the bar to see a group of drunken elves, with daggers drawn, shouting at each other. The barkeeper is nowhere to be seen.

volt, am I in the bar with gauntlet? I was heading to a bar for a drink
You see, I was making you come in after it had all kicked off, and after Gauntlet had a reaction chance.

Tacitus
2010-05-27, 01:41 AM
Shade

With a smirk the dark man shakes his head and mumbles something quietly to himself before wandering off towards the settlement, away from the strange dark cat.

Obrysii
2010-05-27, 02:44 PM
The dark cat followed - always staying back, always looking about with a strange curiousity. For it, this was an entirely no experienced.

What's compelling me? Sophie asked herself as she drove on further, fighting back instincts that told her to turn around. This strange man - the village - it was all new to her. But it was something she had to do. Perhaps it was the call of destiny.

Perhaps she was simply acting her age and being too ambitious. The monks that raised her would never approve of this.

And maybe that's why she drove further onward.

Admiral Squish
2010-05-27, 03:01 PM
Gauntlet keeps a wary eye on the group of elves. As long as they're just fighting each other, he saw no reason to interfere. If they kill each other, the results would be the same if he swooped in and slew them all. Slightly less lethal, in fact, since he'd have to kill all of them, whereas at least one of them would come out on top if they fought one-another. Now, if they were to bring bystanders into the fray, he would have no choice put to start taking shots.

Falconknight06
2010-05-27, 10:37 PM
Uggh, I'll never understand these full time land dwellers, constantly fighting Q'darn says, making his way to the bar and takes a seat. Yo, barkeep, where are you at? I need a drink.

Volthawk
2010-05-28, 12:28 AM
Q'Darn
You hear the barkeep from under the bar. "Yeah, yeah. One sec. Trying to find something."

Admiral Squish
2010-05-30, 05:34 PM
Boss, there's really nothing to you know, respond to there. You gotta set us up so there's something to take action about.

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 05:45 PM
The group of elves start trying to slash each other, although only one manages to slash another, leaving a deep wound in the elf's guts. The rest of the bar finally goes silent, as they all turn around to watch.

Tacitus
2010-05-30, 05:49 PM
Shade

The dark man continues on towards the settlement at a leisurely pace, taking in the scenery while also keeping tabs on his new 'pet.'

Falconknight06
2010-05-30, 05:52 PM
By the Whale Mother Q'darnn will think to himself as he waits for the bartender to appear so he can get something to drink

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 05:55 PM
"Where is the bugger...ah, got it!"

The barman pops back up, with a metal stick in his hand.

"Hey, you lot! Chill out or get out, before I get my security on you!"

Falconknight06
2010-05-30, 05:57 PM
Would it be worth a drink if I helped you get them out of here if it comes to that? Q'darn will ask the bartender

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 06:09 PM
The barkeep whispers "No worries. Sheila will get them out fine if they don't cooperate."

The elves laugh. "Ha, what you going to do about it, baldie?"

The barkeep laughs "See, friend, I get to prove my point as well. Torkta soti fogah!"

Between the elves and the barkeep, a crocodile materialises. Although it seems a bit different than your usual crocodile. It seems meaner, more aggressive.

"So, you four gonna go now?"

".........run!"

The elves all run out, apart from the injured one, who slowly hobbles out, holding his gut.

Falconknight06
2010-05-30, 07:13 PM
Very impressive sir, very impressive, now, may I have a mug of your ale please Q'Darn will ask as he slides a gold piece to the bartender

Obrysii
2010-05-30, 07:18 PM
Sounds - this drew that cat's attention, and soon she drifted towards the bar - towards elves limping away. She frowned some - an odd sight from a cat - and wondered how best to enter, how best to do this. Her mermaid form was not exactly agile out of water ...

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 07:20 PM
"Ah yeah. Back to business."

He pulls a mug out from under the bar, and fills it up with ale.

"There you go."

As he passes it over, the door slams open. In the door frame is one of the local guardsmen.

"I'm here for two people. A Q'Darn and a Gauntlet. They here?"

Falconknight06
2010-05-30, 07:28 PM
In Darfellan Damn, I just got my drink Q'Darn says under his breath in his native tongue as he downs the drink in one gulp. He then stands up and turns to the guard saying I am Q'Darn, may I ask what this is about

Admiral Squish
2010-05-30, 07:41 PM
The black warforged shifts to his feet and walks over to the door, his heavy stone feet surprisingly silent on the wooden floor. "I am Gauntlet." He says, simply, remaining otherwise inactive.

Obrysii
2010-05-30, 08:44 PM
Resigning herself to simply listening outside, perhaps taking the form of a begger, Sophie would shift herself to her normal form, and attempt to cover her tail with any cloth she'd have available; probably something easily found nearby or with her nighttime wrappings, which were likely wet.

She leaned against the wall once suitably covered, and tried to listen in.

[If you need a Disguise check for her covering her tail, it is a 1d20+3=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2541771/) and a pretty bad failure. If it's a Hide check, 1d20+3=13 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2541772/). Finally, her Listen check to hear the conversation is a 1d20+7=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2541773/).]

Volthawk
2010-05-31, 02:53 PM
Gauntlet/Q'Darn

"Well, the Sheriff wants you. Don't know why. Come with me." the elven guard says, shifting from foot to foot nervously.

He walks out, clearly expecting you to follow.

Sophia

You see a guard walk out, after hearing him ask for a pair of people. As he walks out, he glances over, than a second later, glances over again.

"Er, miss? Begging round here is illegal, come with me."

Shade

As you walk towards the settlement, you see a mounted halfling, dressed in a guard uniform, heading towards you.

"Hey! You! Stop!"

Obrysii
2010-05-31, 03:17 PM
Sophie's tail twitched slightly - not enough to uncover itself. She was clad in decent, if aquatically-made, leather armor - and she was surprised any would consider her a begger.

Not to mention the expensive aquatic-built crossbow strapped to her back. She shifted, "Oh. I'm sorry - I'm not begging. I'm on a quest! You see, something's not right here, but I can't tell what it is yet."

Volthawk
2010-05-31, 03:19 PM
The guard chuckles "Heh, tell me something I don't know. If you're serious about wanting to help, come with me."

Admiral Squish
2010-05-31, 03:25 PM
Gauntlet walked silently along behind the guard, his face not betraying the curiosity that was bubbling in his mind. Why would the sheriff want him? Was he in trouble? Maybe this was a job, though. That would be a good start to looking for his brothers...

Falconknight06
2010-05-31, 07:59 PM
Q'Darn will follow the guard in silence, thinking to himself I wonder if one of my shipmates got himself in trouble? Well, actually, I'm pretty sure they'd ask the captain about that. Also, who the hell is this guy I'm with?

Obrysii
2010-06-01, 11:53 AM
"Don't, erm, be frightened by what I'm about to do. Us, well, nature-folks do weird things, eh?" she said - before quickly morphing to cat form and nodding to the guard.

Falconknight06
2010-06-01, 03:07 PM
A druid in the city, that seems rather odd Q'Darn thinks to himself as the woman transforms

Tacitus
2010-06-02, 09:10 PM
Shade

The dark man slows to a stop as he surveys the mounted halfling, "Can I help you, sir?" He thinks to himself, Mounted halfling, guard uniform. Unless he's fairly good on the mount I could probably silence him rather quickly and easily if his business with me is not merely a passing interest... but he did seem somewhat insistent.

Obrysii
2010-06-05, 08:51 AM
[...what does the guard respond with? Help me, DM, you're my only hope!

In other words, bump for great justice.]

Volthawk
2010-06-08, 12:14 PM
Shade

The halfling has a look of concern on his face.

"What are you doing out here! It's not safe, not with those freaking abominations around! Look, come with me. I'll take you to where you'll be safe."

Gauntlet/Q'Darn/Sophia

The guard seems to be unaffected by Sophia's shapechanging, although you do hear him mutter "Huh, a shapechanger.". He keeps on walking, before stopping a while later.

"Well, here we are. The Sheriff's office. Go in, she'll be expecting you."

The office is one of the higher-quality buildings here, made out of solid wood compared to the more tattered shacks that make up most the buildings on this street.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-08, 12:26 PM
Gauntlet looks the building over as the guard approaches it, his mind automatically sizing it up for infiltration. As they are ushered inside, gauntlet nods, silently, and strides inside.

Falconknight06
2010-06-08, 12:49 PM
Q'Darn turns to the one named Gauntlet so what do you think she wants from us?

Admiral Squish
2010-06-08, 04:49 PM
Gauntlet pauses, and turns to regard the other for a moment before opening his mouth. "Don't know. Hoping it's work. Wondering how she got our names."

Falconknight06
2010-06-08, 05:06 PM
Well, my captain may have given her my name, though I'm still not sure why she would want to talk to a simple shipwright like me Q'Darn will say as the three and the guard enter the police station

Obrysii
2010-06-09, 09:25 AM
Expecting me? the girl thought to herself; this she was unaccustomed to. Hardly anyone knew she even existed, much less her name or purpose. She stayed in her cat form as she sat down and looked around - with sharp eyes and a strong form, she felt secure.

She felt she could outrun anyone if she had to - if she wanted to. She partly wanted to try.

It was so different from her regular form.

Volthawk
2010-06-09, 11:45 AM
The office is larger than it appears from the outside, and seems to be full of organised chaos. Hanging off one wall, to your left, are many pieces of paper, and all along that side of the room are all kinds of books, reports and other miscellaneous documnets. At the back of the room, there are assorted weapons. Another area, to your right, are filled with cells. Not many people are in there, although you recognise one of the elves from earlier. In the center are a few desks and chairs. Sitting on one is a strange humanoid, who appears to be human, apart from reptilian spines running along her arms and legs. On her jacket, adapted with holes for the spines, there is the star that designates her as the sheriff.

"Well, here you all are. I am Charissa, and I am the sheriff of this town. I assume you are the people I sent for. Am I correct?"

"Well, probably. I mean, these guys are hardly commonplace, are they?"

You'd never noticed the creature, who had been hiding in the shadows near the entrance to the building. He looks quite similar to a gnome, although he also seems very reptilian, with pits instead of a nose and dark blue scales over his skin.

"Ah, yes. I forgot to introduce you. This is Threan, and he's our main stealth man. He was a whisper gnome, see, but then he got turned into an abomination."

"Yeah. Can't remember what happened. Do you guys know much about abominations?"

If you pass a DC 10 Knowledge (local)/Intelligence check, see here:

You have heard of Abominations before, they are often brought up in conversation. They are said to be combinations of different creatures.

If you pass a DC 15 Knowledge (arcana)/(nature), see here:

Abominations (often called hybrids) are fusions of two normal creatures that are just as often intelligent as they are rampaging beasts. No one knows how abominations come to be: perhaps the result of experimentation by a mad wizard or druid, a wish or miracle gone awry, or the wrath a deity. The end result that fuses two creatures together often destroys the mind of the hapless beings, forcing them into madness and evil. Druids almost universally view evil abominations as profane violations of nature that must be eliminated wherever they are found. The most well known examples of abominations are hippogriffs, griffons, gorilla-bears, and the terrible owlbear.

Mechanical:

Abominations are combinations of any two animals, vermin, or humanoids.
A hybrid of animals or vermin becomes a magical beast; a hybrid that includes a humanoid becomes a monstrous humanoid.
Unless both creatures have the same ability/natural attack, each ability/natural attack has a 50% chance of staying.
The creature's speed is averaged.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-09, 12:30 PM
Gauntlet nods, looking over the strange gnome by the door. "Strange things. Many ways to become one. None pleasant. Process rarely ends well." He said, then turned back to the sherrif. "Not here for pleasantries. Would like to get down to business."

Falconknight06
2010-06-09, 12:34 PM
I'm sorry miss, but I can't say that I do. My knowledge is more of the ship sailing variety Q'Darn will say, bowing to the captain

OOC: Q'Darn has no knowledges

Obrysii
2010-06-09, 12:39 PM
Sophie's knowledge of nature extended larger to the sea than to the air or earth - she had no idea what was going on with the gnomish girl.

[Total failure with a 1d20+8=9 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2554557/) Knowledge (Nature) result.]

Falconknight06
2010-06-09, 12:50 PM
Q'Darn suddenly says with a look of realization, Wait, aren't abominations odd combinations of different creatures? I've heard whispers of them at different ports

Volthawk
2010-06-09, 01:00 PM
"Yes, them. As for why you're here, well, you're being offered a job. But I'll let Threan take over about that."

"Thank you. Well, our boss, the mayor, wants to offer you a job, like Charissa said. He said it had to be you lot, so that's why we went looking for you. It's odd how he predicted you'd turn up, merfolk. Didn't even send for you. There should be a fourth person turning up, though. Strange how he hasn't. We'll wait a while for him, and if he doesn't turn up, I'll brief you without him."

Tacitus
2010-06-09, 10:33 PM
Sorry about the lack of reply, I've been fairly dead the last few days and haven't been able to do much more than stare at things without the energy to really reply.

Shade

The dark man quirks a brow at the halfling before gesturing onwards, "I was merely out for a walk. Lead me to safety, then, my brave savior."

Obrysii
2010-06-10, 09:05 AM
[Not to complain or anything, but I have a hard time keeping track of what color is who - so if you could just end (or start) each quote with "said XX" like in standard English, I'd be much appreciated.]

Her disguise no longer needed, the cat dispelled its form, becoming a youthful mermaid sitting on the floor, her tail folded back around her to try to keep her space minimized.

She was not dressed as a typical mermaid, with naught but a seashell bra on (though she had to admit that didn't look too bad); instead she was dressed in a tight, water-intended leather, which did little to conceal her form but did provide some protections against things. The leather had some wear-marks to suggest her locomotion whilst in this form: dragging herself uncomfortably forward. It was also explainable as to why she preferred the cat-like form whilst on land.

Her hair was somewhat short - down to her neck - and she had blue-gray hair and steel-gray eyes. She had slight fin-like protrusions from her ears, and overall definitely seemed a creature of the sea.

"I sensed something was not right - perhaps it was this abomination, though I do not see how that could be the case," she said, her voice pleasant to the ear - clearly empowered by a strong charisma, as fitted her species.

Volthawk
2010-06-10, 03:11 PM
Shade

"Heh. Funny guy. These things are serious threats, you know. Look, I an see one over there," the halfling says, pointing over in the distance. Where he is pointing, you can see a strange creature: it has a similar body to an elf, but has shaggy wolf hair over it's coat, and a large mouth with sharp teeth. It seems to just be standing on all fours, looking around. "We'll go around. I'm really not in the mood for an unnecessary battle." He turns right and starts to trot away inm that direction.

Tacitus
2010-06-15, 11:55 AM
Shade

The dark man follows along without another word.

Volthawk
2010-06-15, 12:21 PM
Shade

After making your way around the creature, you make your way to the settlement you saw earlier. Once you get there, the halfling gets off his mount, which is taken by another person, and takes you to a rather well-built building that says 'Sherrif' on it. He quickly goes in for a moment, saying "Well, I don't know how you guys worked it out, but he's here.". He then comes back out and says "Well, they want you in there. Dunno why."

Everyone else

You see a halfling guard quickly come in, saying "Well, I don't know how you guys worked it out, but he's here." He then leaves.

Obrysii
2010-06-16, 08:24 AM
Sophie pulled herself up onto a chair, her long and muscular tail kept below her - bending flexibly. "Who's here?" she asked - slightly absent-minded. It was not so much that she was a ditz, she just tended to think too much on grander, wider things; this was partly a symptom of her wisdom, and partly her upbringing.

Tacitus
2010-06-18, 12:51 PM
Shade

The dark man says nothing for a few long moments as he contemplates putting a dagger in the halfling's throat and the throat of anyone else within sight. He was wanted inside a Sheriff's office. He was being asked to willingly walk inside an establishment of the law. So he did the only thing that was truly logical in this situation, he wandered right on in with a smile.

Volthawk
2010-06-19, 10:09 AM
A strange humanoid figure walks in the room, with sunken, black eyes; ripped, bloodstained clothes and no hair. He is smiling when he enters.

Threan speaks up. "Well, as our final person is here, I'll begin."

"Well, recently we've come under more and more attacks. Abominations, mostly, but also other things, some of which we still haven't fully figured out what they are. For example, some seem human, but with elements of other creatures in them. We've been working to find out where they come from and why they attack, and we've found a lead. Two, in fact. We need you to investigate one of them. You up for it?"

Obrysii
2010-06-19, 11:28 AM
"That's the guy that led me here!" the young mermaid said, perhaps a bit loudly. She blushed slightly at her outburst and quieted. "There's no idea as to the source of the abominations?" she asked.

Tacitus
2010-06-19, 07:43 PM
Shade

The dark man's smile tweaks itself into a bit of a smirk, "I told you a dog would have fooled me easier, girlie." After the minor information dump and request from the mutated little gnome (who is no doubt a tricksy gnome) Shade's smile fades, "So you probably want us to go somewhere dangerous and do something stupid, I gather? Hell, I'm down for that."

Obrysii
2010-06-20, 08:07 AM
The girl's face hardened - her eyes raising in sharpness which suggested a strong sense of self - a strong charisma that seemed outside her otherwise young and energetic persona. Her voice was solid, lacking the childishness of her former self - "If I did not want to be spotted by you, I wouldn't've been."

After that, her voice and demeanor returned to her youthful one. "I'll make sure to prepare heal spells."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-20, 08:37 AM
Gauntlet stays mostly silent and impassive for the preceedings finally, with everyone finished, he speaks. "Interested, but curious about compensation. Don't work for free. Wondering how you heard of us. Wondering how you knew where to find us. Can't investigate yourselves?"

Falconknight06
2010-06-21, 11:24 PM
I'm not sure my captain would be willing to grant me the length of leave required for such a task Q'Darn will say.

Volthawk
2010-06-23, 09:28 AM
"Oh, I think that'll be no problem, if boss-man is correct. Which he has been until now. Scarily accurate." Threan shudders.

Obrysii
2010-06-23, 12:01 PM
"I will need about a day to prepare my healing spells," Sophie said, "But I can do that on the way to wherever we're going."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-23, 12:42 PM
Gauntlet looks unimpressed. "Didn't answer the questions. Don't like that."

Volthawk
2010-06-23, 12:49 PM
Threan chuckles, and you can hear a definite hiss in it. "Sure thing metal man. We can't investigate ourselves since we're investigating the other one. As for payment, well, boss-man gave me these."

He pulls out several small boxes, and hands one to each of you, checking on it each time.

The boxes seem to be made out of a strange, greenish, rock. Engraved in each is the name of the person who Threan gave it to.

Obrysii
2010-06-23, 01:08 PM
"Ooh, a box!" she said, taking it - examining it. It was beautiful, and she wanted to keep it simply for its construction. "Can I open it?"

Volthawk
2010-06-23, 01:09 PM
"Yeah. You can." Threan looks thoughtful. "Unless there's some other reason he asked me to give you them."

Admiral Squish
2010-06-23, 09:45 PM
Gauntlet examines the box for a moment, curiously. "Becoming curious who 'boss' is." He said as he opened the box cautiously.

Tacitus
2010-06-24, 08:24 PM
Shade

The dark man chuckles as he examines the box, though h waits to open it until he can determine any immediate side effects produced by the others opening their boxes.

Obrysii
2010-06-25, 06:41 AM
Ah, innocent natures - they tended to attract the worst problems. Sophie opened the box, being unjaded with treachery - another fault of growing up isolated from reality.

Volthawk
2010-06-27, 10:47 AM
Strangely enough, in that box is another, smaller box.

Admiral Squish
2010-06-27, 03:46 PM
Gauntlet removes the smaller box, examining it for a moment. "'Boss' seems strange." He muttered, before opening that box as well.

Obrysii
2010-06-28, 07:27 AM
She had no compulsion against opening it, and so it was opened without a slight worry.

Falconknight06
2010-06-30, 09:16 PM
Confusion on his face, Q'Darn begins to open as many boxes as he must until he reaches something that is not a box

Tacitus
2010-06-30, 11:17 PM
Intrigue on his face, Shade simply watches until a potentially infinite number of boxes are opened.

Volthawk
2010-07-01, 09:07 AM
No matter how many you open, there always seems to be another box there.

Threan looks slightly concerned. "What's up? Isn't there anything there?"

Obrysii
2010-07-01, 10:54 AM
"This is neat! I'd take just the box if it kept doing this ... though how they made it is weird," Sophie said - showing more the voice of a smaller child than what she was. She was naive, though, so perhaps that brought to it part of the entirety of it.

Tacitus
2010-07-01, 11:45 AM
"Heh, well isn't that special. I suppose ya'll like jerking people around in these parts. An enchantment to ensure job completion, I assume? Can't crack open the box, not really, until we crack the case?"

Admiral Squish
2010-07-01, 11:49 AM
Gauntlet sets the box down on the counter and starts opening each box and removing it's contents, then opening that in turn. He even tries closing and re-opening some of the bigger boxes.

Volthawk
2010-07-03, 08:42 AM
Even when you take a box out the box it was in, it still makes another box. However, each box only seems to make one other box.

Obrysii
2010-07-03, 08:46 AM
Despite surpassing wisdom, there was only so much focus a young being had. After numerous box-openings, Sophie stopped and looked up. "Alright, I'm done. I'll take the box - I'm sure we can get a bit for its curiosity. When do we leave?"

Volthawk
2010-07-07, 08:48 AM
Threan still looks a bit confused.

"Oh, right. You're set to leave tomorrow. I'll go see the boss. Maybe he'll tell me what the hell's up with those boxes."

Obrysii
2010-07-07, 10:30 AM
When the group would set to their rooms, Sophie would make a note of this location, morph back to her traveling form - and head into the water. She found she did not much like how her tail dried while out of water, and would need to make a note to pack a damp blanket or otherwise prepare a spell to keep water on them.

She had just the spell, and she'd make sure to have it at the ready.

Falconknight06
2010-07-08, 06:37 PM
A good nights sleep sounds good Q'Darn will say as he is told where they will be sleeping for the night and heads off towards the inn

Volthawk
2010-07-18, 04:33 PM
The next day comes, and Threan goes around to all the rooms, calling you outside.

Obrysii
2010-07-18, 04:57 PM
Sophie prepared mostly healing spells, knowing she could always substitute them for a summoning spell. Taking on her predator form, she would meet them at the meet site, looking around with an anxious eye.

Volthawk
2010-07-22, 05:42 PM
While people are waking up or getting ready to go, you hear screams, coming from the west of where you are.

Obrysii
2010-07-26, 06:56 AM
Head twisting - the girl in predator form darted off, whiching to seek out the cause of the shriek.

Volthawk
2010-08-01, 03:15 PM
After a short bit of running, Sophie finds the source of the screaming. Hunched over the dead body of a woman, is an abomination, which has a similar body to an elf, but has shaggy wolf hair over it's coat, and a large mouth with sharp teeth. It currently seems to be eating the corpse, and has not noticed Sophie. Sophie is around 50ft from the creature, in her wolf form.

Obrysii
2010-08-02, 10:52 AM
Sophie stops - seeing the wolf-haired elf, and knowing it to be some aberration as it took the woman's life, the mermaid shifted back to her humanoid form, quickly manifesting an energy barrier around herself.

[Sophie swift-actions into mermaid form, manifests Force Screen.]

Volthawk
2010-08-11, 09:35 AM
The creature continues to feed on the corpse, before stopping, and looking behind it, with the human's intestines still in it's jaws, it spots you, and turns around to face you.

Roll initiative.

Falconknight06
2010-08-11, 03:40 PM
Hearing the scream, Q'Darn pulls on his pants, grabs a net and jumps out the window with a tumbling landing and running off towards the scream

Tumble
[roll0]

Obrysii
2010-08-13, 08:29 AM
Sophie was protected by a barrier of psionic energy - and ready to do combat with the monster. She was, however, largely immobile.

[Initiative: 1d20+3=11 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2648879/)]

Volthawk
2010-08-15, 06:42 AM
Q'Darn lands without injury, and runs towards the battle. However, he hasn't got there yet.

The creature charges at Sophie, its momentum allowing it to momentarily overpower her barrier, biting her with great force.

-Q'Darn will be at the battle beginning of round 2.

- Sophie takes 8 damage.

-Initiative so far:
Monster (16)
Sophie (11)

Obrysii
2010-08-15, 07:22 AM
[Since you aren't showing attack rolls for monsters, I just want you aware that Sophie currently has AC 20.]

The attack was brutal - far moreso than she had expected; she felt a good bit of her life-force fading, and she coughed; there was little she could do with it in melee range . . .

She morphed into her predator form, hoping its enhanced strength and natural armor could protect her.

She growled and bit at the monster.

[1d20+3=23 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2650793/), rolling to confirm: 1d20+3=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2650794/); damage: 2d6+6=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2650795/) (if confirmed) or 1d6+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2650797/) (not confirmed).]

Falconknight06
2010-08-16, 06:57 PM
Q'Darn's Initiative for Round 2
[roll0]

Volthawk
2010-08-17, 03:31 PM
Sophie's bit rips through the creature's neck, leaving it inches from death, unconscious and bleeding on the cobblestones. Its blood starts to mingle with the woman's, and this is the scene Q'Darn rushes into.

Falconknight06
2010-08-18, 03:21 PM
Seeing that the mermaid seems to have the creature on the ropes, Q'Darn rushes to check on the woman who had been attacked

Heal check
1d20+3

Can he help her?

Rolls that don't matter because I misread the previous post
Attack
[roll0] (+5 if I don't count as charging)

Damage
[roll1]

Falconknight06
2010-08-18, 03:23 PM
Heal Check roll
[roll0]

Volthawk
2010-08-18, 03:25 PM
The woman is long dead, her intestines strewn around her shredded body.

Obrysii
2010-08-18, 03:26 PM
Sophia shifted back to her merfolk form, wincing in pain - blood rolling from the wound. "Ah ... ah," she said, and cast a healing spell upon herself.

[Cure Minor Wounds for 1d8+2=4 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2655050/).]