PDA

View Full Version : Names for a city with superheroes? [Phoenix]

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-22, 09:08 AM
As I have stated previously on this forum, I am going to be Gamemaster (Or "Puppetmaster" as I now tend to refer to myself :smalltongue:) of a Phoenix game within the next couple of months. However, I am stumped on a name for the city that the party reside in. What do you suggest?

Niro
2010-05-22, 09:14 AM
Awesometon?
Herowille?
New Metropolis?
New Gotham?
New New York?

can you maybe tell something about the place your city is locate? Like the country, resources etc. It may sound weird but it could be helpful :D

Scarey Nerd
2010-05-22, 09:16 AM
Can you maybe tell something about the place your city is locate? Like the country, resources etc. It may sound weird but it could be helpful :D

Fairly rich city in general, kind of like Metropolis, has a few bad neighbourhoods, approaching slum standards, in USA, around the East Coast, possibly near a large hill range.

Niro
2010-05-22, 09:29 AM
A hill you say...

Hill-ville, the city of tomorrow

AstralFire
2010-05-22, 09:32 AM
Montemille.

PersonMan
2010-05-22, 10:32 AM
One idea is to just take small town names or little-known city ones and use them. And if it doesn't fit with the rest of the region? Well, waaay back in year X, Y culture people came and founded this city, and it has remained for Z years as a testament to their influence in this region at X time!

Therefore:
Hanoi
Minsk
Tirana
Ostrava
I got these names from Hex Empire, which randomly throws real cities onto the map you play on.

Some of my own creation:
New Sanio
Derrickstown
Reriapolis

Although, just about all of my names sound strange and foreign, like:
Karios
Serrinef
Kulineros
Schief-Kriev

Starscream
2010-05-22, 10:34 AM
Premiumville. Because insurance companies will no doubt be the biggest industry. Superheroes cause a lot of collateral damage.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-22, 11:58 AM
Just use an actual city...

That way you can use Google Maps to get locations, local businesses, etc. :smallbiggrin:

TheThan
2010-05-22, 12:04 PM
There is always “The City”.

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-22, 01:08 PM
Just use an actual city...

That way you can use Google Maps to get locations, local businesses, etc. :smallbiggrin:

I would do this. But if you want a made-up east coast name, do something vaguely Algonquin-sounding if it's up around MA, maybe? "Huritt," "Ousamqua," "Tekakwita," etc. Cruise around Wikipedia for notable Mowhawk or Eastern Algonquian names if you want it in the Northeast.