PDA

View Full Version : (D&D 3.5) Warshaper morphs.

Dragero
2010-05-22, 11:07 AM
I'm about to begin a game where I'm playing as a changling warshaper (Warshaper level 2)

My current build is:

Ranger6//Rogue4//Warshaper2

I'm planning to TWF with my shaped weapons.

One problem:

I don't know any good weapons!

Does anybody have any good suggestions for Weapon morphs? Preferably with the book and Damage listed. Also, are there any ranged natural weapons?

Edit: Also, Wolf or Camel for my animal companion? Leaning towards Camel for it's comedic value.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-22, 11:33 AM
The problem with doing Changeling Warshaper without Monk Unarmed Swordsage is that you have to turn into a Humanoid that has natural weapons... and there aren't a lot of those that have really decent natural weapons.

If you're playing a Gestalt character, then I'm assuming you went Ranger6//Rogue4/Warshaper2

Switching this to Ranger6//Rogue2/Unarmed Swordsage2/Warshaper2 will cost you a die of backstab damage... but you will qualify for a level 2 stance for your second stance and can pick up Assassin's Stance, which gives 2d6 backstab damage. You can also get Burning Brand for your 2nd level Maneuver, which will give you an extra 5ft of reach (but turn all your damage into fire damage).

The other good thing about this option is... Wis-to-AC. The downside is, RAI indicates that the Unarmed Swordsage Variant Wis-to-AC is only while unarmored.

Dragero
2010-05-22, 06:31 PM
Hmmm ok.

Anymore suggestions? Good things to morph onto me.....and maybe any ranged things somehow?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-22, 07:04 PM
"All of the following are class features of the warshaper prestige class. The class features function only when the warshaper is in a form other than her own."
Be sure your DM agrees that your Minor Change Shape ability (which functions like Disguise Self) is enough to make your warshaper class features active. You wouldn't want to play a few sessions only for him to make your character stop working because he thinks you tried to pull a fast one.

Morphic Weapons allows you to grow natural weapons you didn't already have, not dependent on creature type. In their example, an Ettin grows horns to deliver a gore attack, but there aren't any giants which get a gore as a natural weapon. You will probably have two arms, so you'd be limited to two claws, and you'd have one head, so one bite and one gore attack (Troll, Rhinoceos). You also have two feet, which could likely make two Stamp (Elephant) or two Hoof (Horse) attacks. It specifically says you can grow horns on a creature which doesn't already have them to make a gore attack, so this could be expanded to other natural weapons. Dragons get a tail slap which adds one and a half times their strength bonus to damage, so you could probably grow a tail to deliver that. Dragons also get wing attacks if they're at least medium size, so you could grow a set of wings to deliver two wing attacks though they wouldn't grant flight or any other benefit beyond attacking. A Darktentacles in MM2 has twelve slam attacks, delivered via tentacles, so you could grow twelve tentacles to make twelve slams. A giant squid gets ten tentacle attacks (different natural weapon type from a slam (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons)), so you could add ten tentacle attacks to your existing slam attack tentacles, or just grow ten new ones. Finally, you could grow a stinger to deliver a sting attack (giant bee) in addition to all of those, though it would not deliver any poison so I doubt it would even be worth adding.

Furthermore, Morphic Weapons can cause an existing natural weapon to deal damage as though it were one size larger. Once you've sprouted all of those claws and teeth and horns and wings and tentacles and tail, you can activate the ability again to grow each one of those to the next larger size.

Edit: You do not need TWF to use two claw attacks (Troll, Monstrous Scorpion, Annis Hag, every other monster in the game with a 2 claws attack routine), so counting yourself as using TWF will only add unnecessary penalties to your attack rolls. A set of primary natural weapons adds your full strength bonus to damage, so make that your highest number of attacks such as the twelve slams. Secondary natural attacks add only half your strength bonus to damage, though there are some exceptions such as a dragon's tail slap. Secondary natural attacks take a -5 to hit, but you can get Multiattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#multiattack) to reduce that to a -2. You should consider taking Improved Multiattack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#improvedMultiattack) to completely negate the attack penalty to your secondary natural weapons, since there will be so many of them. There are alternate Ranger combat styles (http://crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Classes-Base.pdf) (page 100) which would be better suited to this character, I'd probably take Strong-Arm or maybe Bear-Wrestling. You should also consider using the Mystic Ranger variant, on page 91 of that same document, and also get Sword of the Arcane Order (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Sword_of_the_Arcane_Order) to prepare Wizard spells in your Ranger spell slots.