PDA

View Full Version : Template Help(3.5)

PersonMan
2010-05-22, 01:01 PM
I need some help with making a template. At this point, I need both a blank template and some help on how to assign CR/LA modifiers.

Thanks for the help.

Lateral
2010-05-22, 01:05 PM
Well, first off, what kind of template do you plan on making?

@V: Sweet. Umm... if it's acquired, are you planning on making it controllable like vampirism, or less controllable, like wereanimalism?

PersonMan
2010-05-22, 01:11 PM
Well, first off, what kind of template do you plan on making?

Acquired. It's an ink/paper based thing that gives some natural armor and assorted abilities, as well as allowing one to turn into an "ink elemental".

@^Wow, didn't notice that edit until now. Well, it's uncontrollable, activated when you reach a really low number of hit points.

Tibbaerrohwen
2010-05-22, 01:51 PM
That's a good starting point. It's hard to assign a LA/CR until one knows exactly what is involved in the creature. However, you can choose what level of LA/CR you want and build the strength of the charatcer around that.
I like the concept so far.
Are you looking to make it like a construct or a disease? I know it's aquired, which makes me think disease, but I wanted to be sure.

PersonMan
2010-05-22, 01:55 PM
It's acquired via ritual, costing a couple thousand GPs and some scrolls.

Here's what it does:
+2 Natural Armor
-2 Charisma, +4 Dexterity
10% chance to take 1/2 damage when struck by a piercing weapon
Transform into an Ink Elemental when at [HD] hit points

Lateral
2010-05-22, 01:59 PM
Hmm... With only that, I'm thinking +1 la or +2 la. Dunno about CR, though. We'll need stats on ink elemental to know for sure. That might be a boon at earlier levels, but does the ink elemental get more power as you level?

@V: Ah. Well, you might want to work on the template. Really, right now it's a little... blah. Thematically, it works well, but I'm not seeing the real mechanical value. Maybe give it some kinda DR/slashing?

PersonMan
2010-05-22, 02:02 PM
Hmm... With only that, I'm thinking +1 la or +2 la. Dunno about CR, though. We'll need stats on ink elemental to know for sure. That might be a boon at earlier levels, but does the ink elemental get more power as you level?

I have some rough stats on the elemental, but I'm going to have to refine them a lot before they're finished. And they're on my other computer, which means I can't even post them yet. :smallannoyed:

Thomar_of_Uointer
2010-05-22, 03:18 PM
Since you asked for tips on CR and LA, I'll present the tools I use.

For CR, compare the monster's stats to similar monsters. You might want to take an existing monster and modify its stats to create your monster. Playtesting will help too.

For LA, use the acid test. Make a monster character with 1 class level (or a level 1 human with the template.) Then compare the monster to a human of the same class, and categorize all of their differences as strengths and weaknesses. If it looks like the monster is stronger, add another class level to the human and compare them again. You might want to playtest them fighting with each other a few times. Keep giving the human levels until it looks like the human is equal with the monster. The difference between their levels is the LA (or ECL adjustment, since Hit Dice count as class levels too. Remember, Effective Character Level = LA + HD + class levels.)