PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 custom character sheet

Techsmart
2010-05-22, 05:23 PM
Hi guys, one of my first posts in this section, hoping to get lots of constructive criticism. I've loved playing DND with my friends, but one of the things that always annoyed me about playing was the character sheets seemed awfully inefficient on space. For spellcasters, the spell list was useless. The slots were too small to include spells, especially with multiple uses. It was also very blocky, and caused problems taking notes. After some time in my TCOM courses, I decided to make one for my own group. As of now, it is the most commonly used in my group, but I would like other people's opinion. Once I think I got it just right, I am going to make it into an interactive pdf, with an alternative page for spellcasters. I appreciate any and all positive criticism. Thank you.
NOTE: this is a low-resolution copy. If you would like a clearer version, please pm me. I made links to the url to conserve space.

http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/picpopper_2009/DNDDocuments/CharacterSheet_Page_1.jpg
http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/ss203/picpopper_2009/DNDDocuments/CharacterSheet_Page_2.jpg

Altair_the_Vexed
2010-05-23, 04:38 AM
You've only provided three weapon slots, and only one of those is ranged.
I've found that it's quite common - especially once you can afford extradimensional spaces, like Bags of Holding and Handy haversacks - for characters to carry more than three different weapons, to keep their options open.
Even at low level, you're quite likely to have a bow and a dagger - and the dagger can be thrown.

If you're going to have an alternative for spellcasters, then you could just drop the spell section of the non-caster sheet, to give more room - maybe for those extra weapons.

Nakun
2010-05-23, 12:43 PM
What I noticed was that the class and race ability sections were pretty small. I know that when I play a new class or race, or when I have a player new to the game I appreciate the extra space so I can put important notes in.

ninjaneer003
2010-05-23, 02:32 PM
One of the things that i like that our DM has done is make a character sheet with a whole page dedicated to Character RP info. He leaves about a half page for background, character personality description, a character portrait, and other character descriptions. I really like this cuz it helps me get into character by reading it and makes me really think and work on the character's details before we play.

DracoDei
2010-05-23, 05:17 PM
Some weapons get used a lot more than others for most characters though.

Silverscale
2010-05-23, 07:30 PM
One of the things my DM did to streamline the character sheet and our game was to combine some of the skills together like Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft got smooshed into Arcana; Slight of Hand and Move Silently became Stealth; etc

DracoDei
2010-05-23, 07:56 PM
One of the things my DM did to streamline the character sheet and our game was to combine some of the skills together like Knowledge Arcana and Spellcraft got smooshed into Arcana; Slight of Hand and Move Silently became Stealth; etc

Yeah, but that is an actual rules change, rather than a formatting issue.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-05-23, 09:06 PM
Leave a decent amount of space for extra stuff (just blank not lined) our entire campaign journal is just the amusing bits of the game that I drew to the side or on the back of my character sheet in oots style. (a barbarian going into rage to survive a fall in mid-air, a cleric with a nat 20 catching an alchemists fire and asking for another one, the paladins mount being turned into a giant bunny wabbit by a wand of wonder on steroids; it had about 400 different results I think). I think I already made a very similar post on the other character sheet thread.

DracoDei
2010-05-23, 09:17 PM
Leave a decent amount of space for extra stuff (just blank not lined) our entire campaign journal is just the amusing bits of the game that I drew to the side or on the back of my character sheet in oots style. (a barbarian going into rage to survive a fall in mid-air, a cleric with a nat 20 catching an alchemists fire and asking for another one, the paladins mount being turned into a giant bunny wabbit by a wand of wonder on steroids; it had about 400 different results I think). I think I already made a very similar post on the other character sheet thread.

Sounds like an argument to just have artistic members of the group staple a few blank pages onto their sheets. Although that does mean that you have to flip back and forth... which is an argument for not stapling each one on until it is filled up with doodles.

Basically: Not everyone can draw.

Techsmart
2010-05-24, 08:17 PM
I'd like to start by thanking you guys for the suggestions and I'm gonna take them all into consideration as much as possible.
To answer some questions first: This part I am showing so far is intended to be 2-pages exactly. However, the interactive pdf will be 3-4 pages. One page will be devoted to roleplay: personality, appearance, etc. One will be devoted just to spells/psionics. The exact details will be ironed out as I get those 2 pages finished. What should I include for the roleplay section? I know I'll include a spot for a picture. Then, I'll take some of the appearance attributes from the main page and move them here, like hair color, skin tone, and height.
Also, for when I make the spell list, how do you guys normally keep track of spells used?
Normally, I list the spell name, then a box for each time/day I can cast that spell (IE: Fireball [][][] is 3 uses of fireball), but if you guys do it differently, I'd love to hear your ideas.
I'll have a revised copy up soon...

Temotei
2010-05-24, 08:23 PM
Perhaps including an unarmed strike "weapon" box wouldn't be a bad idea. Generally, everyone has one.

Alternatively, name it "Unarmed/Natural Attack."

Or just make more weapon slots. I like having at least four, as I tend to have my characters carry around a main melee weapon, a main ranged weapon, and several backup weapons. Then I put in the stats for unarmed hits. That usually ends up being four to six slots.

Jack of Spades
2010-05-25, 08:13 AM
It seems to me that there is a large amount of negative space that could be put to better use (huge empty box for experience, large black space near spellcasting info, large box to record 8 languages known), but then again I'm a utilitarian with no eye for aesthetics :smallwink:. Also, it might throw people off to have more entries for ammunition than you do for actual ranged attacks.

BLiZme.2
2010-05-27, 02:48 AM
You should have a space for flat footed touch AC comes up more often than you’d think.
The huge black box around the spells known is unappealing visual a thin close white border and some unofficial note space would be better.
there should be room for 3 letter book abbreviations and 3 digit page numbers for every item feet spell weapon armor magic item race/ class ability and maybe other stuff I am forgetting, my custom sheet has this and it is a huge help when rules questions came up.
you should have a location for each of the 12 magic item slots I recommend the space be about twice to three items the height of a normal item box and they should be arranged in a 3 Across by 4 down box on the sheet
The background page should have a small space for items not carried.
If you intend to have a spell sheet then move ALL spell info there is a huge help.
Also if there is space leave room for miscellaneous wealth like jewelry a simple unlined box is best in my experience.
If it is ok with you I will see if I can post my sheet for reference.

ForzaFiori
2010-05-27, 07:07 AM
On your weapon slots, why specify ranged and melee? What if a character has daggers, which are both? or can throw a sword, or wants to hit someone with a crossbow? It might be better to just put "Weapon". I'm also gonna say that more slots would be useful.

BLiZme.2
2010-05-28, 12:06 AM
You specify so you have more space on non ranged weapons. Also so you don’t have slots that make no sense.
Also tradition