PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Fun

The Rabbler
2010-05-22, 06:36 PM
I'm about to start a gestalt campaign and I was hoping for some advice on a character idea I had. I want something that'll be both powerful and tricky. I want a build that can adapt to any situation. I want something that can hold his/her own or get out at any time.

I was thinking about using ToB and going for a bunch of 9s and then factotum/something else to keep myself impossible to touch. I'd probably dip factotum, so I need some advice on what else to use to make myself nice and adaptable.

Stats etc.
ability scores:
15, 16, 16, 17, 16, 18 (they don't call them heroic stats for nothing :smallbiggrin:)

probably human, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

starting at level 1

all books allowed (except BoVD and BoED) along with most dragon magazines. but no 3rd party. no exceptions.

and if possible, I'd like to avoid psionics. I've been using psionics too much lately and my group is starting to get suspicious.
[/stats]

so, any ideas on what else to add and how to accomplish this?

Greenish
2010-05-22, 06:39 PM
How about the good ol' factotum//warblade? It's not exactly a novel build, but it has just about as many tricks as you want to give it.

Yorrin
2010-05-22, 06:45 PM
When I think tricky and versatile my mind immediately jumps to Warlock. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I've had good results with them in gestalt. You're no full caster, and your combat prowess is limited to eldrich blast spamming (until you get Chilling Tentacles, of course) but it's a ton of fun.

Greenish
2010-05-22, 06:50 PM
…your combat prowess is limited to eldrich blast spamming…Glaivelocks beg to disagree.

Yorrin
2010-05-22, 06:54 PM
Glaivelocks beg to disagree.

Yeah, I always seem to forget that the boards have found a way to make nearly anything useful in combat. Glaivelocks are indeed powerful, but rather boring, imo...

The Rabbler
2010-05-22, 07:07 PM
Yeah, I always seem to forget that the boards have found a way to make nearly anything useful in combat. Glaivelocks are indeed powerful, but rather boring, imo...

right. and glaivelocks can't use maneuvers.

I want to be able to use the best of ToB, while also having escape mechanisms and flight and use outside of combat. maybe I should take warlock until I get fell flight and just focus on ToB?

Greenish
2010-05-22, 07:20 PM
Glaivelocks are indeed powerful, but rather boring, imo...And "Eldritch Blast spamming" is not?

I want to be able to use the best of ToB, while also having escape mechanisms and flight and use outside of combat. maybe I should take warlock until I get fell flight and just focus on ToB?That seems a waste of levels, given that flight is not hard to achieve.

The Rabbler
2010-05-22, 07:22 PM
That seems a waste of levels, given that flight is not hard to achieve.

this is true. any other ideas then?

Greenish
2010-05-22, 07:27 PM
this is true. any other ideas then?Bard//Crusader? It'd be like a marshal that doesn't suck.
Swordsage//mystic wildshape Ranger for Kung Fu panda with spells.

Also, warblade//factotum deserves to be mentioned again. Loads of utility and options combined with nearly unrivaled combat prowess.

The Rabbler
2010-05-23, 01:43 AM
my plan so far:

str : 18
dex: 16
con: 16
int: 17
wis: 15
cha: 16

warblade 1//factotum 1
warblade 2//factotum 2
warblade 3//factotum 3
warblade 4//swordsage 1
crusader 1//swordsage 2
crusader 2//swordsage 3
crusader 3//swordsage 4
crusader 4//something 1
master of nine 1//something 2
master of nine 2//something 3
etc....

I need an idea for what to do after I do factotum/swordsage on the second side. I need some ideas as to other stuff I can do to have fun with my character.

EDIT: how does IL stack over gestalt? is it determined by the IL of the side that it's on?

Greenish
2010-05-23, 07:08 AM
I need an idea for what to do after I do factotum/swordsage on the second side.More factotum.

EDIT: how does IL stack over gestalt? is it determined by the IL of the side that it's on?Like normally. Double progression classes (such as Master of Nine) would be against gestalt rules.

[Edit]: Never mind that. You'd gain IL as normal, and when you're going Mot9//SS, you'd gain 1 IL each level for all of your initiator classes. Both Mot9 and SS give IL to SS, so only one of them would be picked for the purpose, as per gestalt rules.

The Rabbler
2010-05-23, 11:19 AM
Like normally. Double progression classes (such as Master of Nine) would be against gestalt rules.

[Edit]: Never mind that. You'd gain IL as normal, and when you're going Mot9//SS, you'd gain 1 IL each level for all of your initiator classes. Both Mot9 and SS give IL to SS, so only one of them would be picked for the purpose, as per gestalt rules.

that makes sense.

in that case, I think i'll be going

crusader 1//factotum 1
crusader 2//factotum 2
warblade 1//unarmed swordsage 1
warblade 2//unarmed swordsage 2
crusader 3//unarmed swordsage 3
crusader 4//unarmed swordsage 4
warblade 3//master of he nine 1
warblade 4//master of the nine 2
fighter 1//master of the nine 3
fighter 2//master of the nine 4
eternal blade 1//factotum 3
eternal blade 2//factotum 4
eternal blade 3//factotum 5
eternal blade 4//factotum 6
eternal blade 5//factotum 7
eternal blade 6//factotum 8
eternal blade 7//uncanny trickster 1
eternal blade 8//uncanny trickster 2
eternal blade 9//uncanny trickster 3
eternal blade 10//master of nine 5

grabbing a bunch of skill tricks, any maneuver I want (IL 18 warblade, 19 crusader and swordsage), 3 spells of up to 4th level (hello reserve feats), all skills as class skills, a ton of skill points, and I get to be link.

anything else that I might add (feats or skill tricks to look out for)?