PDA

View Full Version : flaming sphere question

Korivan
2010-05-22, 07:44 PM
does this thing float or roll on the ground?

Deth Muncher
2010-05-22, 07:49 PM
does this thing float or roll on the ground?

Either, I think. It's how I've always played it.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-22, 08:06 PM
I'm guessing this is for 3.5, but I'm not sure it matters. Flaming sphere is a classic spell that's seen use in multiple editions of the game, but I doubt that the general function has changed much over the years.

Here's an excerpt from the 3.5 spell text:

A burning globe of fire rolls in whichever direction you point and burns those it strikes. It moves 30 feet per round. As part of this movement, it can ascend or jump up to 30 feet to strike a target. If it enters a space with a creature, it stops moving for the round and deals 2d6 points of fire damage to that creature, though a successful Reflex save negates that damage. A flaming sphere rolls over barriers less than 4 feet tall. It ignites flammable substances it touches and illuminates the same area as a torch would.

Note the repeated usage of the word "roll." I think it's safe to say the sphere is usually landbound.

Korivan
2010-05-22, 08:33 PM
i only ask because a player wanted to use it to float across the water and strike boats

evil-frosty
2010-05-22, 08:42 PM
I believe its able to go 3 feet in the air to get by obstacles like low walls and stuff. It would not be able to go over water.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-22, 10:15 PM
The water would just extinguish the flames.

It can be extinguished by any means that would put out a normal fire of its size.

EDIT: The sphere can jump up to 30 feet. If the boats are farther away, it's screwed.