PDA

View Full Version : 4th edition DnD vs 3rd edition

Stabber
2010-05-22, 08:51 PM
Hi, Im new here. Im a common 3rd edition player, and have recently played a bit of 4th edition. I was wondering what some of you guys think about the difference.
Personally, I think 4th edition is very World of War crafty, and 3rd is much better, but feel free to try to convert me!
- Stabber

AstralFire
2010-05-22, 08:52 PM
No. Just. No.

God, no.

No.

Bring down this post, Mr. Gorbachev.

Thrawn183
2010-05-22, 08:53 PM
This post is as bad as a nazi!

Fax Celestis
2010-05-22, 08:53 PM
I'm going to skip the dissertation and say that comparing two games against each other is an exercise in futility: they are incomparable on any level beyond the superficial, and the perception of one as "better" than the other is a matter of subjectivity. Attempting to shoehorn a subjective opinion into an objective hole is merely going to cause arguments.

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-22, 08:54 PM
Oh God no.

I hope you wore your flame-resistant underwear today, Mr. Stabber.

Mechanichi
2010-05-22, 08:56 PM
Is everyone wearing their flame resistant gear?

Gralamin
2010-05-22, 08:57 PM
I'm going to post just to point out that this sort of thread has been done before, and a quick search should dissuade you from the idea that 4e is World of Warcraft-like.

Wings of Peace
2010-05-22, 08:57 PM
I even remembered my flame resistant top hat! :smallsmile:

GenPol
2010-05-22, 08:59 PM
I like them both, but for different things. And since I forgot my flame resistant pajamas (and straw hats tend to burn quickly), I should probably leave and not say anything else.

Or on another note, you could ditch both and pick up Pathfinder. :smalltongue: That would be my suggesti--OW! FIRE!

Tiki Snakes
2010-05-22, 09:01 PM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/215543608_oPsC3-L-2.jpg

No. Just no.

Mystic Muse
2010-05-22, 09:03 PM
Is everyone wearing their flame resistant gear?

I have immunity to fire.

*blows the horn of Mod summoning*

mikej
2010-05-22, 09:04 PM
4e vs 3e . . . really now?

Ok, all joking aside about "flame resistant X" people. This thread could very well turn into a good intellectual debate and were both sides respect one another views. /sarcasm

Weezer
2010-05-22, 09:06 PM
http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs21/f/2007/241/f/2/Bowl_of_Petunias_by_p_korle.jpg

This exact topic has been reiterated at least 10 times . There's a search function, use it.

@mikej I was worried for your sanity until I saw the white text.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-22, 09:08 PM
Fourth edition is fairly gamist; however, the stylistic elements are extremely different from those of World of Warcraft. The resemblance to WoW you noticed was likely a function of the game group rather than a function of the system. 4e groups can play like WoW; they can also play like Planescape: Torment. The system itself is relatively neutral.

BobVosh
2010-05-22, 09:09 PM
Legends speaking of long threads of much banning and flaming. In these 1 of 3 things are present: comparison of editions, the mention of the monk class, or talk of the ToB.

Anyway I personally consider 3.x better as I like character options on a larger scale along with different mechanics. Also I enjoy having the books, and not throwing more money at WotC.

4ed I like the static will/fort/reflex and the two stats for each. Beyond that some of the powers are neat, although the 1/day thing kinda annoys me.

Also use google, there are some very long threads of this debate. Especially closer to when 4ed came out.

Goonthegoof
2010-05-22, 09:15 PM
I personally like fourth edition better for D&D- Everyone has more to do and unlike 3.5 I haven't had to ban anything. My main problems with it are the length of battles (fixed by reducing monster hp across the board) and the fact that there aren't as many out of combat options. The lack of out of combat options seems to be a necessary evil- The more options there are, the more open to abuse the game is. Scry and die, reading minds, zone of truth etc- They all unbalance the game, and the only real way to balance it again is put that power in the hands of the npcs, not the players.

The J Pizzel
2010-05-22, 09:20 PM
They're both outstanding systems. We played 3.5 since it came out. Then switched to 4E and have been playing it since. The entire group unanimously agrese that we like both systems for different reasons and fully intend on switching back and forth depending on what we're in the mood for.

However, we all agree that SW:SAGA is better built then both :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2010-05-22, 09:39 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I'll assume the OP is well-meaning, but really, this is pretty much a disaster waiting to happen. Or, as I like to say, gamer convert thyself.