PDA

View Full Version : Question on Templates: 3.5 DND (Question Answered! Thanks!)

Eternal Drifter
2010-05-22, 10:08 PM
Right... Let me get this situated:

I'm trying to improve the Tarrasque. THE beast of legend. I don't wish to add more hit dice, so I'm going to add the Monster of Legend templete to it. Now, is the Tarrasque of Legend now the base creature? Or is the original Tarrasque still the base creature?

Because I wish to add Half-Fiend to it too, but reading the fine print reveals that it needs to be applied to a creature with a base Int of 4 or higher, but the base Tarrasque has Int of 3, and the Monster of Legend ups it some.

senrath
2010-05-22, 10:11 PM
I'm pretty sure that once you apply a template then that creature, template and all, is the new "base" creature when it comes to sticking more templates on top.

Alvrick
2010-05-22, 10:16 PM
senrath has it right

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-22, 10:20 PM
Yeah, that's why you have to carefully plan out the sequence when applying multiple templates to a creature, since the creature must qualify for each template at the time it is applied.

For example: Putting the Half-Troll template onto, say, a dragon to change it's creature type to Giant in order to qualify it to become a Lycanthrope (which requires the base creature to be a Humanoid or Giant).

EDIT: Hmm... I have the sudden urge to stat up a Half-Troll Green Dragon Were-Crocodile as an NPC villain. :smallbiggrin:

Eternal Drifter
2010-05-22, 10:24 PM
Many thanks for clearing this confusion, everyone! This beast will ruin the target player... and get him off of overpowered characters.

Enjoy your own games... and pray you aren't one of my gamers...

Runestar
2010-05-22, 10:29 PM
Hmm...blasphemy at caster lv48...this should be interesting...:smallbiggrin:

But still hard to top that 30-headed tarrasque over at wotc. :smallcool:

Alvrick
2010-05-22, 10:30 PM
erm, i realize it's not the point of the topic, but sicking an uber monster on your power gamers doesn't fix things. if you really want to have him play a more normal character, you should have a talk with him. Being out to get players just causes arguments

Eternal Drifter
2010-05-22, 10:35 PM
erm, i realize it's not the point of the topic, but sicking an uber monster on your power gamers doesn't fix things. if you really want to have him play a more normal character, you should have a talk with him. Being out to get players just causes arguments

:smallsigh:He's annoyed two DND groups because of his overpoweredness. We tried to speak with him, but he laughed a little and named bizzare feat/class/spell/item combinations that would get him powerful. He was kicked out from DMing an ally group because of his overpoweredness. This hopefully will get the message across... make your characters too powerful, I make your opponents too powerful. And the rest of the party gets a free Plane Shift/Teleport out of there.

Alvrick
2010-05-22, 10:37 PM
fair enough. When all else fails, nothing like a drive by tarrasquing to set someone in his place, right?

just be sure that he knows why it's happening, and all should be good, considering the situation. or he'll storm out. either way, problem solved I suppose

Tavar
2010-05-22, 10:38 PM
It's probably not going to get the message across. All it's going to do is make him bitter at you, somewhat rightly so. If you can't explain the problem to him out of game, then you need to drop him. Nothing else is really going to work.

Eternal Drifter
2010-05-22, 10:41 PM
I'll try speaking to him AFTER the Tarrasque eats the next character. Perhaps he'll be more corroperative then.

And Roland! Please lock this thread before it gets too off topic. The original purpose of this thread has been served.