PDA

View Full Version : Homebrew Playtest (3.5)

Egneil
2010-05-22, 10:55 PM
The village's gate loom above the caravan in the early dawn sun. As the light broke through the cracks between the wood of the wagon, it seemed to land solely on Helos for a brief moment causing Cryus to smile at the irony. Ilaedil sighed when the heat of the sun landed on her face, even as broken as it was at the front of the wagon.

Like most other villages, Lefmel gra Kewlan was beset by troubles, and because of them left the gate's closed for the safety of it's citizens. As the caravan came closer to the town a few of the front guards ran ahead to inform them of their approach, so the gate would be opened.

Obrysii
2010-05-23, 06:59 AM
The puppet - and its master - walked side-by-side, and Cyrus looked as his sun-lit creation strode with ease. Wrapped in a heavy cloak, the puppet would appear simply as a stiffly-walking man, an old farm-hand with a scythe strapped to its back.

Cyrus himself wore simple farm clothes - unarmored, and actually rather fragile himself - and one hand seemed to twitch, shifting in step with the puppet; this was the only indication, without a detect magic spell, that the being next to him was under his control.

Ilriyn
2010-05-23, 05:02 PM
Ilaedil shivered even as the sun started to warm her, she had become quite cold during the walk to Lefmel gra Kewlan. She was dressed in a light skirt and a short blouse, but these were covered by a long brown traveling cloak.

As she waited, she looked around at the rest of the caravan, and decided to start up a conversation with one of the caravan members lesser known to her. She thought his name was Cyrus, but she wasn't sure.

"A bit chilly this morning, isn't it?" She said as she stepped a little closer. "I'm Ilaedil by the way."

Obrysii
2010-05-23, 05:18 PM
Cyrus glanced to the woman, examined her with eyes that showed greater analytical power than interpersonal strength. He nodded, quietly adding, "It's a bit cold, I suppose. It is nice to meet you - I'm Cyrus, and this, well, this traveling companion of mine is Helos."

Ilriyn
2010-05-23, 11:50 PM
"It's nice to meet you too Cyrus, and hello to you as well Helos. Helos hmm? That is a very unique name, I like it."

She looks over at the city gates, but returns her attention to the conversation when she sees that the gates have no begun to open yet. "So what brings you two to this city?"

Egneil
2010-05-24, 09:13 AM
The guards return from the gate at a rush. Now that the light has cast most of the shadows away, you notice that they were the merchants hired hands. As they come closer you notice the human guide appears to order his orc companion to stay put as he goes on to inform their leader.

Although the human seemed somewhat odd you can't put your finger on why. The orc on the other hand was taller than either of you by at least a head, and all of his considerable bulk seemed geared towards his muscles. His face betrayed the knowledge that entering the village might take longer than you were originally told.

Obrysii
2010-05-24, 09:18 AM
Helos did not speak - moving silently along, cloaked heavily as 'he' was; Cyrus looked to the woman, trying to examine her motives. "Seeking to sell my services to the highest bidder; I am something of a weapons' smith."

He shifted slightly, though the puppet did not move with him - he was skilled enough so far to avoid that. "What brings you?"

This line of conversation ended when the guards came out of the city, and here Helos seemed to arm itself - going more into a combative stance; Cyrus knew that he was doing this - because the large guard looked extraordinarily powerful.

"...is there a problem?" Cyrus asked the being.

[Cyrus' disguise check to make Helos act human - 1d20+5=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2532904/).]

Lyndworm
2010-05-24, 03:52 PM
"No, no problem. Our progress has been delayed slightly, but we'll be back on track soon enough." The large orc's words are reassuring enough, but his eyes belie a hint of worry.

Ilriyn
2010-05-24, 07:15 PM
Ilaedil nods at the orc, wondering what could be the cause of his apparent concern. She shivers again as she looks around.

"What brings me? I'm just a simple traveler. This town looked nice on a map, so I decided to come here. Heh, pretty bad reason huh?"

Lyndworm
2010-05-24, 09:52 PM
"Not to interrupt, but I've heard much worse reasons for traveling." The great orc looks primarily bored, but he seems genuinely interested in being polite, here. nevertheless, everything manages to come out more like a bark than a conversation.

Obrysii
2010-05-25, 12:49 PM
Cyrus smiles gently, but it's clear he seems a little agitated, overall. "There's no problem in curiosity. I suppose to some extent that's why I'm here, too."

Ilriyn
2010-05-25, 02:59 PM
"I suppose I was born a traveler, it's always been second nature to me. Unless I have some reason to stay put, life is always more interesting on the road."

Egneil
2010-05-25, 03:00 PM
From the trail you notice the merchant leader, Ghife Noonpass, approach with Kevin a mere step behind him.

"Kruth come along so we can try to get those gates open. Bring along the other two, they might be helpful in convincing the guards," ordered Ghife as he walked by, and with a wistful sigh muttered to himself, "Such a dark world we live in when even simple merchants can hardly turn a profit."

------------
Ghife's Spot Check 1d20+7=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2534597/)

Lyndworm
2010-05-26, 04:23 AM
The orc raises an eyebrow at requesting the aid of passengers, but remains silent as the man walks away. "If you're not too busy, I'd appreciate your accompanying me." Again, Kruth seems to choose his words carefully. Nevertheless, it comes as more an order than a request.

Obrysii
2010-05-26, 06:39 AM
Cyrus twitched slightly from the order - but he nodded. "My services are available for use," he said simply.

Ilriyn
2010-05-26, 08:40 AM
Ilaedil nods, and starts walking towards the gate with the other two. "I've got nothing better to do, I would be glad to help."

Egneil
2010-05-26, 04:59 PM
You reach the gate moments after Ghife has arrived, and you see him tapping his foot impatiently as the guards walk to him. As they reach him, he asks them in a powerful, commanding voice, "Why is the gate closed?"

**Intimidate-1d20+12=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2535845/)**

The guard on the right glances at his partner and replies, "We were attacked by some cultists in the market-place five days ago. They killed twelve people and wounded ten others before we could stop them, luckily there were some priests of Pelor buying food for the temple who knows how many more would have died without them. The baron was reasonably upset about it and ordered all towns or villages to close their gates to everyone but expected travelers, and even then we have to look at their travel registry."

Obrysii
2010-05-27, 02:46 PM
"Cultists? Have they been culled?" Cyrus asked, and Helos seemed ready to arm itself at a moment's notice. His eyes narrowed, nose flared slightly. "Who all were killed? Children? Women? Or was there something to provoke it?"

Lyndworm
2010-05-27, 02:48 PM
Kruth watches the exchange silently. He does not seem impressed.

Ilriyn
2010-05-28, 12:28 AM
"Sounds like bad business, I'm glad that they could be stopped before even more damage was done. But it should be fairly obvious by now that we are not cultists, delaying our entry will just hurt more people by depriving your city of trade."

Egneil
2010-05-28, 09:18 AM
**Int roll-1d20+3=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2537893/)**

The other guard looked at Cyrus with concern at his apparent anger when the cultists where mentioned. She spoke with what she felt was a soothing voice, "All the cultists are dead, though the priests were able to keep some alive and they were brought to the temple for questioning. Although if you know anything about this cult my superiors will want to know."

"I'm sorry to hear about your citizens and I offer you my sympathy," Ghife ends his sentence with a moment of silence before he speaks again with compassionate words, "I agree with the lass here, you know we aren't the cultists. You also know we speak the truth when we say we mean no harm. So, how about you open the gate and take to your captain so I can go over my records with him."

**Diplomacy-1d20+14=32 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2537912/)**

The first guard sighs and says, "I suppose your right, but orders are orders and I'll have to look at them as well. Although I don't see why the rest of your caravan can't enter while we do this," He turns and motions at the guard in the tower to open the gate.

-------------
200 Exp awarded for each character.

EDIT: Clarified who was speaking.

Obrysii
2010-05-28, 02:40 PM
"No," Cyrus said, "No, I don't know anything about them. I'm just a farm-boy from down the path, I guess. Never been to a big city before..."

Lyndworm
2010-05-29, 03:30 AM
"Will that be all, Leader Noonpass?" The orce barks the question. "I'm frankly not comfortable being away from the caravan much longer. Not to put down Lefma gra Kewlan, fellow guardsmen, but all villages claim strength. I take my job too seriously to fall for that, even so close to the gates." He nods to one guard, then the other, subtly, before turning back to Ghife.

Obrysii
2010-05-30, 08:45 PM
"I'm not much of a leader - so I suppose I'll just follow you along, if you don't mind?" he asked, addressing his female companion. Helos seemed to no longer be on a hair-trigger, and Cyrus shifted slightly back towards the wagon.

[Not sure what else to add.]

Ilriyn
2010-05-31, 12:23 AM
"Sure, though we'll probably end up nowhere", she says with a grin. She walks towards the rapidly opening gate, and into the city.

Turning towards Cyrus, she says with a smile, "Are you up for some breakfast? I'll buy."

Obrysii
2010-05-31, 09:17 AM
Cyrus looked down - he was clearly not a people-person, or at least highly inexperienced. He just had his family and his farm - and both were gone now.

He shifted lightly, "Sure - but you don't have to buy. I might be just a farm-hand, but I'm not totally broke."

Ilriyn
2010-05-31, 09:29 AM
Ilaedil softly smiles at the shy boy. "Alright then, how about that place over there?" she says, pointing at a nearby tavern. Without waiting for an answer, she starts to walk towards it. "So, is this your first time in the city?"

Obrysii
2010-05-31, 10:05 AM
He nodded, and as the pair reached the building, he had Helos sit outside, leaning against a wall - preferably in an alleyway so as to not attract attention.

"Yeah - spent my whole life out on the farm, working the machines, horses, that sort of thing," he said, "What about you? Where're you from? What's your backstory?"

Egneil
2010-05-31, 10:45 AM
Ghife looks at his orc guard and says, "There's no need for that, because there are only a few groups in the world willing to attack a caravan that can see the town walls. Most of them would just as soon attack the village than the caravan anyway. As far as I'm concerned you have completed your job and are free to do as you will. Your payment may be slightly delayed depending on how long the captain keeps me, though I don't suspect it will be more than three and a half hours. Meet me at the market with in that time and I'll return your investment." With that he waves at the male guard and moves towards the first sentry post. Before he gets far seems to remember something and stops. Turning Ghife addresses Kruth, "Before I forget, bring the other two with you so I can give them a reward for their help here." Nodding he resumes his walk with the guard.

Lyndworm
2010-05-31, 04:24 PM
"Of course, Leader Noonpass." The orc gives a short, stiff bow and heads off towards the two passengers.

Catching up with them, he says "Wait a moment! The Leader wished for me to inform the two of you to meet him in the marketplace in about three hours. He wishes to speak with you regarding your help moments ago." Sheepishly, he continues with "I don't wish to impose, but would it be acceptable for me to travel with you until then? My name is Kruth, by the way."

Ilriyn
2010-06-01, 12:28 AM
"You're not imposing at all, you're more than welcome to come with us. We were planning on heading to that tavern to break our fast, unless you have a better idea?"

As the three walk down the street, Ilaedil asks, "Why is your leader wanting to reward us? We hardly did anything."

Lyndworm
2010-06-01, 01:01 AM
"Thank you; the tavern seems a fine idea. I'm not certain why he feels such things are necessary, but I know that he's good at reading people. It may be that he has some task in mind for you, and wishes to keep your favor..." Kruth seems to think for a moment before continuing. "That or he has some extra coin burning a hole in his pocket."

Obrysii
2010-06-03, 02:09 PM
"I haven't been to a big-city tavern before. The one that served the farms in our area wasn't very much, though," Cyrus said, feeling he had little to add.

Egneil
2010-06-05, 11:50 AM
As you enter the tavern you see the short stature of the gnomish owner scrubbing a recently vacated table. "Welcome to the wild elf saloon," He says smiling, "I'm Nirch Falder at your service. If you would take a seat I'll be with you in moment."

The tavern looks as professional on the inside as the freshly polished walls outside indicated. Hanging from the rafters on strings are small chunks of wood with various shapes that give of a soft but strong light. At your seat you smell the aroma of beef stew coming from the kitchen.

Having finished the table he was working on Nirch walks over and asks, "Would you like some ale or is wine more to your liking? Also my son has made a wonderful beef stew if your interested."

Lyndworm
2010-06-05, 10:27 PM
The orc smiles at that. "How much for a bowl of stew?" he rumbles. "I've not yet broken my fast this day. I may just order the pot! Hahaha!" Kruth lets out a loud, boisterous laugh.

Obrysii
2010-06-06, 08:22 AM
Cyrus sat down across from the Orc, giving the man an uncomfortable look as he laughs at his own joke; Cyrus himself simply looked around at the well-furnished place. It was nothing like the old waterhole back home - which had a sense of having seen far too many seasons to count, and perhaps three too many fights.

This place, though - this was something else. When the Gnome looks to him, he shivers slightly and nods, "Oh - yes. Um. Just some ale for now - uh - how about just a bowl of that stew?"

Ilriyn
2010-06-06, 04:54 PM
Seating herself in between the two, Ilaedil addresses the owner, "A bowl of hot stew if you please, and a glass of wine to finish off the meal".

Laughing at the orc's comment, she asks, "So where are you from Kruth? Why did you sign on with the caravan?"

Egneil
2010-06-08, 10:14 AM
"The stew is five silvers a bowl. As for the pot, I doubt you have enough. I mean it is a very well-made darkened glass pot," Nirch replies smiling at the orcs joke.

Seeing Cyrus's uncomfort he speaks reassuringly, "Don't worry lad, you'll get used to all kinds of different places if you keep traveling."

After writing down your orders he heads towards the kitchen.

Obrysii
2010-06-09, 09:36 AM
Outside, beside a corner, and wrapped in cloth to conceal itself, Helos sat alone - its scythe hidden behind it.

Cyrus sat slightly to the side of the chair, leaning forward to hear the Orc's story. It was a weird thing, to see a being that had such a negative reputation being so, well, civilized. He wasn't sure what to think.

Lyndworm
2010-06-18, 05:56 PM
The great orc fidgets in his seat, clearly uncomfortable with so much attention being paid to him. "I hail from a small orcish settlement of no real importance, originally. We had... problems. So I left. I've moved from town to town since, selling my services as a warrior." He smiles sheepishly, showing his tusks. "I know I don't seem like a very good example of an orc... I'm not. That's why I left."

Ilriyn
2010-06-20, 04:40 PM
As the server hands her her bowl of stew, she says, "Well if you mean you're no example of a rude brute, you're absolutely correct. You're probably the most respectable orc that I've met."

As she starts eating her stew, she stops and quickly says, "I hope I didn't offend you by insulting your race's common stereotype. Unlike a lot of elves, I don't have anything against orcs. I equally detest brutes of all races."

Lyndworm
2010-06-20, 05:53 PM
Taking his own bowl, Kruth inhales the scent deeply before growling his next few sentences. "Thank you for your kind words... Ilaedil, was it? Nevertheless, I assure you that I am quite the brute... I'm being paid to react violently even as we speak." He takes a bite of his stew and nods. "Though I suppose my contract's just about up, now that I think of it." He takes another bite of stew, managing to spit out a few words while he chews. "Not to come off as "soft," but it's nice to have a civil conversation for once." Kruth manages to make air quotes even with a bowl of stew clenched in one fist. His hands are big.

Obrysii
2010-06-20, 06:01 PM
"I have no opinion of any species," Cyrus said simply. He looked down and spooned a mouthful of soup; he ate it down and spoke again, "I have little knowledge of the different species - though if I find ones that looked close to - well - the ones who did ..."

He paused for a moment. "Let's just say that I have my motive to continue searching and growing in knowledge."

Lyndworm
2010-06-20, 06:10 PM
A crooked smile stretches across Kruth's face, showing his right tusk. "Don't we all, Cyrus? ...Don't we all?"

Egneil
2010-06-20, 07:14 PM
Feeling as though he would not interrupt anything Nirch said, "I'm glad you decided to stay for a meal, instead of going strait to the festival,"

Ilriyn
2010-06-21, 12:26 AM
"Yup, Ilaedil's my name." Ilaedil says brightly. She takes a couple sips from her glass of wine before continuing. "Perhaps I wasn't too clear; a brute, in my humble opinion", she says this with a twinkle in her eye, "is one who has no manners, foresight, or empathy. I fully believe that the ideal man, or woman for that matter, should be able to take care of himself. Taking care of oneself means being able to defend oneself."

Ilaedil spoons a few more spoonfuls of stew into her mouth as the gnome approaches. "Festival? What festival?"

Lyndworm
2010-06-21, 12:29 AM
The great orc nods along with Ilaedil's explanation, seeming to take her words to heart. When the gnome arrives, however, his attention is quickly redirected.

Obrysii
2010-06-21, 06:57 AM
"A festival?" Cyrus said, a small smile slowly etching itself across his face. "I've never been to one of those..."

Egneil
2010-06-22, 11:39 AM
"So you say you have never been to a festival before," Nirch replies with a smile, "Now regardless of how hard it is for me to believe that. What's even harder for me to believe is that you don't now about it. I know that it's a small occasion but even I saw the runners leave through the town gates," His smile fading as he seems more confused about it with every word.

Obrysii
2010-06-22, 05:43 PM
"Yeah," he said - a little annoyed. "I'm an out-of-towner, looking for work since my family was killed - I hope that's okay?"

He sighed, and looked into the stew. "I'd like to go to the fair, Helos and I, and take a look around."

Lyndworm
2010-06-22, 05:51 PM
The great orc seems a bit taken aback at this outburst. "You must forgive our ignorance. We only just came to town a few moments ago with a trading caravan. Much of your customs are still new to us, as we have been away from more civilized areas for a very long time."

Ilriyn
2010-06-22, 06:26 PM
"We probably were still fuzzy in the head when we walked in the gates this morning, and missed the runners." Says Ilaedil, trying to smooth the tension that had just built up. "Thank you for the meal, it was delicious."

Egneil
2010-06-22, 11:32 PM
**Diplomacy roll-1d20+1=5 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2575445/)**

Nirch was surprised by Cyrus' comment and seemed almost a little hurt by it. "I meant no harm with my words. All that I meant was that I was surprised that your home never once had a large celebration," Nirch spoke as apologetically as he could, "But it seems I've stepped on a sensitive topic for you, so I'm willing to drop the subject if your willing to forget my earlier folly."

"As for the runners, they were sent out days ago. For your caravan to have missed them makes me worry," Nirch put his hand to his chin as he thought about it, but he shook his head and said simply, "I suppose it's not my place to worry about it when a festival is in town. Such thoughts are more of Lieutenant Debasuer's concerns than my own anyway."

Lyndworm
2010-06-22, 11:43 PM
Kruth snorts. "'All that is require for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.' If something is wrong, fix it."

Egneil
2010-06-27, 07:23 PM
Nirch stared at his orc patron for a moment and said simply, "I understand the meaning of your words friend. Although I don't know your culture, my family has lived in this human empire long enough for me to know that the true guards never stop their vigilance. I find that such dedication is one of the human's strengths. As for me," Nirch said with a sigh, "I'm certain that the lieutenant already knows this. So there is no need for me to worry about it."

Lyndworm
2010-06-27, 08:29 PM
"If you're certain they're aware, then I suppose there's no harm in not informing the Lieutenant." Kruth takes the chance to down the last of his stew, tipping his bowl in the air for the last drop. "I think I'll inform somebody in the know all the same. I didn't live this long by allowing myself to be surprised. Thank you for the stew; it was excellent." He places the empty bowl in front of the gnome with a subtle smile.

Obrysii
2010-06-28, 06:29 AM
"Our strength is our adaptability - be it farmers, guards ... or thieves," Cyrus said dryly. He, too, sat the empty bowl in front of him, and paid up - giving a little extra as a tip.

"Should we go check out the festival?"

Ilriyn
2010-06-28, 09:33 AM
"Sounds good to me", Ilaedil says as she stands up. "If you don't mind pointing us in the right direction, Nirch, we'd be greatly obliged."

Lyndworm
2010-06-28, 01:32 PM
"I don't see any harm in checking out the festivities. Not so long as we meet up with the Leader in time, anyway." The large orc scratches his scruffy beard absently.

Egneil
2010-06-28, 01:51 PM
"Ah, yes. The festival is taking place near the temple, but not to close. I doubt the prisoner will escape, but the guards don't want to take chances. So in front of the Melted Steel Smithy was were they set up. All you need to do is go left after you leave my door and walk for a few minutes. It should be as clear as day by that point," Nirch seemed to show the directions with his hands as he spoke.
----------------
6sp each for the meal
----------------

As you leave the door you can hear the festival in the distance. Before you is a crowd of people moving in the direction of the festival. As you reach the destination you see various stalls line the streets, selling sweets to the families who came to see the magicians and performers. Among the few preforming was the familiar face of Kevin having a mock battle with a Warforged. It's large frame was stood as tall as Kruth, but it's build was not as massive, instead it appeared more lithe. Walking through the crowds you approach the performance just as it was ending.

Lyndworm
2010-06-28, 02:35 PM
Kruth catches only the end of the performance, but that's enough to see the skill involved. He begins clapping and nodding along with the rest of the crowd. "A good show! It makes me sad I missed the beginning."

Obrysii
2010-07-02, 03:49 PM
Having fetched Helos, the pair went along with the others - and like Kruth only manages to catch the tail end - "Perhaps they're playing another later?"

Ilriyn
2010-07-02, 07:15 PM
Ilaedil only looks mildly interested in the show as it ends, and does not applaud. As her two companions show their enthusiasm over the fight, she raises an eyebrow, and turns away, looking at other events taking place around them. In an undertone, you can just hear her say, "Men will be men, I suppose."

Lyndworm
2010-07-02, 07:20 PM
Kruth turns to the woman beside him. "Judge me how you wish, but it is not the violence that impresses me. It is the accuracy, the speed, the control. Those are very disciplined men out there, and they're doing very difficult things. I am impressed." The orc speaks calmly, but that eternal bark to his voice remains unchanged.

Ilriyn
2010-07-05, 12:43 PM
"It is true that they are very disciplined men, and from what I saw, they had above average skill. However, the motive behind their duel is not pure. Instead of fighting to increase in skill, resolve a conflict, or even for the sheer fun of the fight, they are dueling for our gold." Ilaedi points to several people throwing copper, silver, and even a few gold pieces towards the two performers, who were bowing and waving.

"In my opinion, dueling for money is like prostitution. It is taking something, and using it only for it's monetary value. I am no stranger to violence, nor do I abhor it. My people, both young and old, would gather every week, and improve ourselves in the art of war and dueling. We would not fight to gain riches, but to improve our self-mastery, and to build those relationships that can only be forged in battle. "

Ilaedi pauses for a moment, lost in thought, then says, "Well I have stated my opinion. Probably with more vigor than is respectable for a women in these lands." She seems to shrink from her previously animated state.

Lyndworm
2010-07-05, 03:04 PM
"You raise a fair point, but it relies quite heavily on a single notion. If one does not find the idea of any other sort of prostitution morally wrong, than your statement holds no water. I happen to be such a creature." Kruth grins widely. "As far as being a woman in a foreign land goes, I imagine it can't be too different from being a monster. They dislike us both, but they allow us to exist because getting rid of us wouldn't be worth the effort."

Obrysii
2010-07-05, 08:51 PM
Cyrus remained quiet as the two discussed - and as far as he was concerned, he saw nothing wrong with dueling for money; he, of course, saw little wrong with prostitution, in so much that it was essentially a contract - coinage for services rendered.

To him, it didn't matter if 'services' meant sex, labor, a fight, or advice. It was the contract that mattered.

Still, he kept this to himself, preferring while they spoke to tinker with the shoulder of Helos, which he found was not moving quite as well as he would have liked.

Egneil
2010-07-05, 11:48 PM
"Not true. There will always be worth in getting rid of things," Kevin says as he walks through the crowd, "The point is just whether or not your interested in the pay. Now I'm not saying that you don't belong in these lands. Actually I find the Kewlan Empire to be best government to be in. But when you consider that most officials in any government are corrupt, that's not saying much."

**Spot check-1d20+7=25 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2592448/)**

When he was finishing with his thoughts he shrugged to himself, and let his eyes wander to Ilaedi before he moved onto his next one. "Now some of your words I found to be interesting. I didn't catch all of what you were saying, so I doubt you meant -" Kevin's eyes glanced at someone in the crowds at your back. His casual smile faded as the rest of his face seemed to go blank. As he ruffled his hair he snapped his gaze to Ilaedi's eyes. "- what it sounded like. I mean your definition of prostitution sounded a lot like most merchants I know. They take iron ore and food from outlying villages and move them larger towns and cities, with their only goal being the gold they can make out of it."

**Disguise check-1d20+9=21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2592662/)**
**Hide check-1d20+9=19 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2592665/)**

Lyndworm
2010-07-07, 12:28 AM
Kruth looks up at the newcomer, taking in the human before him. "I find myself in agreement with you, Mr...?" Kruth doesn't so much ask the question as bark it.

Spot check:
[roll0]

One point off? :smallannoyed:

Obrysii
2010-07-07, 08:05 AM
Cryus was distracted by his work - turning to spot the human, listening to what he had to say. He'd dealt with such people before - the merchants - who transported his family's food to market.

[Spot check 1d20+1=20 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2595281/)]

Ilriyn
2010-07-08, 03:00 PM
Ilaedi smiled somewhat at Kruth and Cyrus's responses, and says, "I suppose that you could choose to look at it from a purely business perspective, but I believe that prostitution is attempting to put a price on something that is beyond measurable value. But to each their own I suppose."

She turns to Kevin as he walks up, looking him up and down before firmly shaking his hand. "Greetings to you, Kevin, was it? I am glad that we have found a common reference point."

Spot: [roll0]

Obrysii
2010-07-11, 09:31 PM
[I have nothing to add ... just bumping for a hope for activity.]

Lyndworm
2010-08-05, 12:58 PM
Realizing what was bothering him about the newcomer, Kruth says "Greetings, Mr. Kevin... What are you hiding from?"

Egneil
2010-09-19, 12:02 PM
Startled by Kruth's question Kevin realized how long he had stared at Ilaedi. Slightly embarrassed he quickly looked away and apologized, "I'm sorry for starring, I just ... lost track of time."

Recovering he addressed Kruth's question, "As for what I'm hiding from, I don't like to talk about it. Suffice it to say that Baron would love to see me dead if he learned about my past. And that his son has decided to come here to ease concern about the cultists."

From behind you you can hear the crowd shout with pleasure and concern for the baron's son as he gets closer. His procession moves toward the larger podium slightly left of and behind the one Kevin was using.

Obrysii
2010-09-20, 09:22 AM
Having little to do beyond enjoy the day, Cyrus would move on towards the other events - specifically for the procession that was coming forward.

"Let's get closer to take a look," he said.

Ilriyn
2010-09-20, 07:05 PM
A wry smile flitting across her face, Ilaedi softly says, "It's quite alright Kevin, no need to feel embarrassed."

Taking a step backwords, Ilaedi turns towards the oncoming procession, brushing a stray lock of golden hair out of her eyes. "Do any of you know much about the Baron or his son? Why does the presence of his son sooth fears about the cultists?"

Egneil
2010-09-27, 12:11 PM
The crowd parted for the procession with bows and curtsies. They never slowed mainly because they never needed to. Your progress was slowed by the multitude of people. By the time you reach the front of the procession it has already gotten more than half-way to it's destination. In it's center you see the baron's son on his mount. His appearance seemed as regal as they come, his skin was unblemished and his clothes fit him perfectly; almost as though his entire life was carefully crafted. Although his features were human you could see the hint of elven or fae ancestry.

During the walk Kevin spoke simply, "His name is David Resmith the second, and his family has owned this land for about a century. After that history is crafted by the people you ask," You could almost hear hatred in Kevin's voice as said David's name. "Also, the baron's son only soothes people because he represents his father. People seem to believe that because this town was attacked, the lord isn't powerful enough. They then take their concerns to the baron, feeling only he is powerful enough to defeat their fear. The rest I'm fairly sure you can figure out on your own."

----------
Make a spot and listen check (DC:15) to notice ten people within 45 feet of you attempting to cast spells. You only need to succeed on one of them to act in the surprise round, but if you make both you may make a spellcraft check (DC:16) to learn that the spells are burning hands. Due to the crowds your base movement is halved. All the spellcasters can't act in the surprise round.

Ilriyn
2010-09-27, 12:58 PM
Checks:Spot:
Listen: [roll1]

Ilaedi speaks softly as they worm their way into the crowd, but her voice is still audible above the general commotion. "I take it that you like the lord of this city. What has he done for you to inspire such devotion?"

As they reached the front of the procession, Ilaedi stood on her toes, attempting to see over a burly man standing in front of her. Unable to see much due to her short stature, she turned slighty, cheeks coloring as she wondered if anyone had noticed. At that moment, she saw a few people make identical motions as they prepared to cast a spell. Without thinking, she pointed her finger at the nearest one, and let a speeding missile of magical energy loose towards it. After speaking the required words of the spell, she shouts: "Watch out! Cultists!"

I cast magic missile at the nearest cultist.

Damage: [roll]1d4+5

Edit: I can't do new rolls in the same post, so I rolled it at home. I rolled a 4, for a total of 9 damage. If that's not acceptable I can re-roll elsewhere, or you can roll.

Obrysii
2010-09-27, 01:33 PM
Cyrus knew nothing of magic - only that he could understand that fire coming from one's hands was unlikely to be a mundane thing.

He shifted forward, reacting only to his companion's actions - not knowing who was attacking or where.

Helos stepped forward, ready to act.

Spot: 1d20+1=8 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2702716/)
Listen: 1d20+1=10 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2702719/)

Since he cannot act this round, here is ..
Initiative: 1d20+3=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2702721/)

Egneil
2010-10-03, 09:00 PM
-----------
Kruth's turn
Spot check: 1d20+4=16. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709395/)
Listen check: 1d20+4=17. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709395/)
Initiative: 1d20+1=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709402/)
Attack roll: 1d20+2=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709404/)
Damage roll: 1d6+5=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2709405/)
Miss chance: 1d100=57 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2711122/)

Kruth sees a cultist and throws a javelin at them. He strikes.

-----------
Kevin's turn
Spot check: 1d20+5=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2710983/)
Listen check: 1d20+6=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2710977/)
Initiative: 1d20+1=18 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2711021/)
Attack roll: 1d20+4=16 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2711025/)
Damage roll: 1d8+9=14 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2711027/)

Kevin notices someone next to him casting from a scroll. Instinct took hold and caused Kevin to wield his trident against the caster with all of his might. The tip's glowed briefly as the magic activates for the strike.

--------
Ilaedi's magic missile strikes the cultist, knocking him unconscious.

--------
Enemy's turn
Initiative[Delay]:1d20+1=4. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2711091/)
Scroll Mishap: 1d20+1=9, 1d20+1=3, (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2719628/) 1d20+2=22 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2719635/)
Damage roll:1d4+1=2, 1d4+1=2, 1d4+1=2, 1d4+1=5, 1d4+1=3, (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2719624/) 5d4=12 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2719637/)

After Ilaedi spoke her warning the crowd became panicky and looked at their neighbors, searching for the cultists. Yet before they could run large fumes of flame erupted the cultists fingers, some more fierce than others. At least a hundred people were caught in the flames. The only safe spots were the ones that your attacks created, and from the cultists that did not cast their scrolls correctly. From the amount of fire you think that their are about twice as many cultists than you first thought.

Ilriyn
2010-10-11, 08:42 AM
Watching in horror as the cultists discharge their spells into the crowd, Ilaedi takes aim at another cultist and fires a bolt of crackling energy at him.

Initiative: [roll0]
Elemental Ray Attack: (Ranged Touch Attack) [roll1]
Elemental Ray Damage: [roll2]

Obrysii
2010-10-25, 09:37 AM
"Go, Helos!" Cyrus cried, throwing his hand forward - and his companion drew out a long, strong scythe as it darted forward, and he attacked with everything he had.

The long scythe landed hard - in the dirt, next to his enemy.

Attack roll: 1d20+3=7 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2738215/)