PDA

View Full Version : whirlwind build help

tordirycgoyust
2010-05-23, 02:58 AM
I am a newbie just joining in a powergamer group (I hate small towns) and would like a sort of, um, way to say I'm willing to work at the game. I was thinking of whirlwinding a kusarigama (the dmg <p144-5> un-errataed version) 2 size categories above my race for massive range with some lifedrinker/energy drain enchantments/templates, and (if there's room) sneak attack/blinker ring for extra damage and bestow curse on hit(because it sounds like awesome fun).
Assume I have access to any five splat books (for DM sanity), 28 point-buy, and up to +1LA.

Prodan
2010-05-23, 03:00 AM
The Whirling weapon enchantment is better than the Whirlwind Attack feat.

Thurbane
2010-05-23, 03:11 AM
Binder 3 (Improved Binding feat) (or Binder 4, which gets you a bonus feat to spend on Improved Binding). You only lose +1 BAB (and you can use your Pact Augmentation to offset that). Bind Paimon:

Whirlwind Attack (no prereq feats required)
+4 untyped bonus to DEX
Uncanny Dodge
Use Tumble (at a +4 bonus) untrained
Other goodies

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-23, 03:15 AM
To make you fully dex dependent, I'd recomend a spiked chain instead, as it is compatible with Weapon Finesse.

Prodan
2010-05-23, 03:21 AM
Is there anything the Spiked Chain can't do?

tordirycgoyust
2010-05-23, 03:28 AM
Good to know. Also if you guys could say which books things are from I would really appreciate it.

Krazddndfreek, Prodan, assuming a medium race this kusarigama is huge size and considered 2handed, and unless i'm mistaken str governs both attack and damage... You can consider the kusarigama (assuming proper sizing) a spiked chain that is a light weapon(and therefore compatible with weapon finesse) instead of 2h(becomes 2h w/ size adjustment) with 1d6 damage(for medium k-g).

tordirycgoyust
2010-05-23, 03:35 AM
also Paimon sound pretty neat

Nidogg
2010-05-23, 03:39 AM
If your sure about using oversized weps, then take the monkey grip feat. It allows you to use oversized weapons as they were meant to be, i.e a huge dagger is not a 2 handed wep, it is a light weapon to you.

Prodan
2010-05-23, 03:51 AM
If your sure about using oversized weps, then take the monkey grip feat.
No. NO.

Strongarm Bracers.

Krazddndfreek
2010-05-23, 03:54 AM
Good to know. Also if you guys could say which books things are from I would really appreciate it.

Krazddndfreek, Prodan, assuming a medium race this kusarigama is huge size and considered 2handed, and unless i'm mistaken str governs both attack and damage... You can consider the kusarigama (assuming proper sizing) a spiked chain that is a light weapon(and therefore compatible with weapon finesse) instead of 2h(becomes 2h w/ size adjustment) with 1d6 damage(for medium k-g).

Obviously, the spiked chain becomes the better choice, with its 2d4 damage dice and no ambiguous misreading. I'm not sure exactly how the kusari-gama works, but it seems that it's just a weaker version of the spiked chain.

Runestar
2010-05-23, 09:22 AM
Reach is determined by your size, not the size of your weapon (and you benefit from reach only if the weapon is sized appropriately for your PC, so it is likely you get only 5-ft reach in this case).

Ignore whirlwind like the plague, it is a trap not worth the feat investment or the effort put into trying to get it to work properly.

It sounds like you want a chain-tripper build. Consider Snow Savant's chain tripper build here. One of the few viable fighter20 builds in existence (or is that the only one???) :smallsmile:

http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870774/Fighter-20:_The_34;Gatling_Chain_Gun34;_Tripper

Greenish
2010-05-23, 09:39 AM
I am a newbie just joining in a powergamer group (I hate small towns) and would like a sort of, um, way to say I'm willing to work at the game. I was thinking of whirlwinding a kusarigama (the dmg <p144-5> un-errataed version) 2 size categories above my race for massive range with some lifedrinker/energy drain enchantments/templates, and (if there's room) sneak attack/blinker ring for extra damage and bestow curse on hit(because it sounds like awesome fun).
Assume I have access to any five splat books (for DM sanity), 28 point-buy, and up to +1LA.Just grab a warblade and you should be fine (or at the very least, better off than whirlwinding kusari-kama).