PDA

View Full Version : Under-optimization...

quiet1mi
2010-05-23, 12:32 PM
To ensure that nothing is optimized, I use a random dungeon generator found at mythweaver...

It is a group of 4 level 4 characters and they have been having a lot of trouble with the monsters inside... (Mainly kobolds)

I was wondering if there is a grade that I could go by to see how/if they are under optimized they are...

Example: by level 4 you should have about a +_ to hit... a specialized character will have a +_ to hit... etc

Boci
2010-05-23, 12:34 PM
Thgis will be a lot easier for us if you tell us their race, class, role in the party and state generation method.

Iferus
2010-05-23, 12:41 PM
Oh, and the game system (DnD 3.5, DnD 4 or something completely different?)

quiet1mi
2010-05-23, 01:14 PM
Sorry about that

Edition of D&D [3.5]
Party:

4th level Half Orc Barbarian: Main Damage Dealer
4th level Human Duskblade: Main Damage Dealer
1st level Rogue, 3rd level half-elf Bard: Utility and support
3rd level Catfolk Fighter [2 weapon fighter]: Combat Support, Protects against Flanking

Generation of characters: Elite Array [I have gotten tired of explaining the 32 point buy system...]

Amphetryon
2010-05-23, 01:20 PM
My 2cp:

Level 4 characters, assuming standard wealth by level (WBL), should each have access to an appropriate magic weapon and/or wand and suit of magic armor and/or bracers.

With decent rolls or a minimum of standard point buy, I'd expect any full BAB character to have at least +10 to hit, even if it's only with one weapon. I'd expect even a marginally optimized melee character to be able to dish out more than 20 HP damage consistently.

Casters should easily be able to have at least one spell with a DC of 18 by this point.

Greenish
2010-05-23, 01:21 PM
Generation of characters: Elite Array [I have gotten tired of explaining the 32 point buy system...]Just toss 'em a link (http://yellowrex.com/tools/pbcalc.php).

If you've got a lot of spare time (and their character sheets), you could run a simulation to see how tough the combats are. Pretty work intensive and not foolproof though.

jindra34
2010-05-23, 01:22 PM
I see no one who can heal or really do ranged combat. I think that may be the problem.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-23, 01:24 PM
It looks like all of the characters in the party are focused on dealing damage in the front lines except for the bard. Since your party lacks any spellcasting classes, the entire group lacks versatility to deal with a threat in more than a few mundane ways.

I'm not sure what to suggest to you other than having enemies that use little spellcasting and spell-like abilities and focus more on mundane threats like ogres and trolls.

Amphetryon
2010-05-23, 01:25 PM
Sorry about that

Edition of D&D [3.5]
Party:

4th level Half Orc Barbarian: Main Damage Dealer
4th level Human Duskblade: Main Damage Dealer
1st level Rogue, 3rd level half-elf Bard: Utility and support
3rd level Catfolk Fighter [2 weapon fighter]: Combat Support, Protects against Flanking

Generation of characters: Elite Array [I have gotten tired of explaining the 32 point buy system...]

Part of the problem looks like no dedicated primary caster, and extremely limited restorative abilities. No Druid or Cleric makes the Rogue 1/Bard 3 the de facto healbot at a time when the party might actually find a healbot useful.

If the Rogue/Bard didn't spec for ranged, as well, that leaves two typical niches under-represented in this group. That leaves them vulnerable to a wider array of threats than a more well-rounded party would be.

EDIT: Me speak Engrish gud.

PId6
2010-05-23, 02:01 PM
Get the rogue/bard to start UMDing wands of Cure Light/Lesser Vigor, and healing will be taken care of. Drop them some more wands/scrolls and the rogue can be utility caster as well. He'll have to max UMD for this though, and it wouldn't hurt to give him some Masterwork Tools of UMD and/or a Circlet of Persuasion.

Prime32
2010-05-23, 02:19 PM
I was wondering if there is a grade that I could go by to see how/if they are under optimized they are...

Example: by level 4 you should have about a +_ to hit... a specialized character will have a +_ to hit... etc
Optimisation by the Numbers (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=386.0)

Pechvarry
2010-05-23, 05:15 PM
Get the rogue/bard to start UMDing wands of Cure Light/Lesser Vigor, and healing will be taken care of. Drop them some more wands/scrolls and the rogue can be utility caster as well. He'll have to max UMD for this though, and it wouldn't hurt to give him some Masterwork Tools of UMD and/or a Circlet of Persuasion.

He's a Bard. He doesn't need UMD to use wands of spells that appear on the bard list. This includes cures.