PDA

View Full Version : Epic spellcasting question

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-23, 02:39 PM
Hello playgrounders! I have a question for you. If one were to take 10 levels of sorcerer, ten levels of spellsword, and then some levels in wizard (they would be after 20th level), would he gain wizard spells?
-Xavez

arguskos
2010-05-23, 02:45 PM
Hello playgrounders! I have a question for you. If one were to take 10 levels of sorcerer, ten levels of spellsword, and then some levels in wizard (they would be after 20th level), would he gain wizard spells?
-Xavez
Yes. There's no reason you wouldn't. You're not taking levels in Epic Wizard, just Wizard.

jokey665
2010-05-23, 02:45 PM
Yes. You just can't go over the max levels for any given class, so Wiz10/Sor10/Cler10/Dru10 will give you the appropriate spells, but Wiz40 will only give you the casting of Wiz20.

Moriato
2010-05-23, 02:49 PM
-Xavez

Absolutely, but only at a caster level equal to his class level for wizard.

A Sorc 10/Spellsword 10/Wizard 1 would have a caster level of 15 for his sorcerer spells, and caster level of 1 for his wizard spells.

PId6
2010-05-23, 02:51 PM
For that matter. Sor 10/Spellsword 10 can take 5 more levels of Sorcerer to advance to the full Sorcerer progression. He'll have 5 CL less than a Sorcerer 25, but his spells/day and spells known will be the same.

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-23, 02:55 PM
Yay! That just gave me the idea for a Wizard 20/Sorcerer 20/Cleric 20/Druid 20/Bard 20! Awesome spellcasting powers for the win!
Thank you all,
Xavez

Riva
2010-05-23, 02:57 PM
Aside from it being ridiculous to play at those levels...

needs more factotum

Darklord Xavez
2010-05-23, 04:02 PM
Aside from it being ridiculous to play at those levels...

needs more factotum

NO IT DONT.
-Xavez

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 04:06 PM
Yay! That just gave me the idea for a Wizard 20/Sorcerer 20/Cleric 20/Druid 20/Bard 20/Psion 20/Wilder 20/Ardent 20/Erudite 20/Shadowcaster 20! Awesome spellcasting/manifesting/shadowcasting powers for the win!
Thank you all,
Xavez

Fixed that for you. :)

Optional, add Binder 20/Incarnate 20/Swordsage 20/Truenamer 20....end result is a character that requires total knowledge of every class type WotC ever published for 3.X!

demidracolich
2010-05-23, 04:09 PM
I hope you mean fixed truenamer because the unfixed version would seriously tone down this builds awesomeness. Also, yay super MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

dextercorvia
2010-05-23, 04:09 PM
Epic spells make you fall down before you get to 3rd level in your second class.

demidracolich
2010-05-23, 04:11 PM
Also at that level, its basically a free form RPG now.

Greenish
2010-05-23, 04:13 PM
Fixed that for you. :)

Optional, add Binder 20/Incarnate 20/Swordsage 20/Truenamer 20....end result is a character that requires total knowledge of every class type WotC ever published for 3.X!Hmm, 7 8 different systems. Gotta love 3.5.

[Edit]: Argh, forgot one.

Yorrin
2010-05-23, 04:32 PM
Also, yay super MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Tainted Scholar fixes most of the MAD with a single level, and toss on a level of Cancer Mage to forget about Str, allowing you to focus on Con and/or Dex.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 04:36 PM
I hope you mean fixed truenamer because the unfixed version would seriously tone down this builds awesomeness. Also, yay super MAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Good point - is there any way out there to get spellcasting dependent on Strength or Dexterity? Right now our build only needs Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma to function.

Yorrin
2010-05-23, 04:38 PM
Good point - is there any way out there to get spellcasting dependent on Strength or Dexterity? Right now our build only needs Constitution, Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma to function.

If you take 3.0 feats as well as 3.5 there's Lost Tradition out of Bastards and Bloodlines that lets you change the primary casting stat of any single class to whatever you want. But as I said above, tainted scholar lets you base all your casting off your taint score, which can grow arbitrarily large in just a few days.

Flickerdart
2010-05-23, 04:40 PM
Illumians with the right sigil can base bonus spells off other ability scores.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 04:52 PM
If you take 3.0 feats as well as 3.5 there's Lost Tradition out of Bastards and Bloodlines that lets you change the primary casting stat of any single class to whatever you want. But as I said above, tainted scholar lets you base all your casting off your taint score, which can grow arbitrarily large in just a few days.

Yeah, but that's exactly the opposite effect. We want EAD (Every Ability Dependence), not SAD. :)

Flicker's on to something though. Have the base race be Illumian, and use the sigils to make our Sorcerer casting Dex-based. Now, take the Lost Tradition feat to make our Wizard casting Strength-based. Problem solved.

Strength - needed by Wizard
Dexterity - needed by Sorcerer
Constitution - needed by Incarnate
Intelligence - needed by Psion, Erduite, Truenamer
Wisdom - needed by Cleric, Druid, Ardent
Charisma - needed by Wilder, Shadowcaster

ScionoftheVoid
2010-05-23, 04:52 PM

You could always add Warblade, Crusader and Swordsage for another system and more MADness. At this point there's no reason not to.

AstralFire
2010-05-23, 04:58 PM
3.0 Psions cast from all of their stats.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-23, 05:13 PM
Needs more Incarnum.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 05:15 PM
You could always add Warblade, Crusader and Swordsage for another system and more MADness. At this point there's no reason not to.

Already did (Swordsage). Though adding Warblade and Crusader as well for keeping track of all the different maneuver lists couldn't hurt.

Needs more Incarnum.

See above (Incarnate).

3.0 Psions cast from all of their stats.

I don't think even 3.0 let you multiclass between the same class though, i.e. Psion-Egoist/Psion-Telepath/Psion-Nomad.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-23, 05:20 PM

See above (Incarnate).

I don't think even 3.0 let you multiclass between the same class though, i.e. Psion-Egoist/Psion-Telepath/Psion-Nomad.

That's why I said more, obviously not because I missed that :smallredface:

I quite like that idea for Psions.

AstralFire
2010-05-23, 05:24 PM

It didn't, but that does cover one! (And I think that while you casted from the selected stat, all of your stats had to be high enough to use powers of the tied discipline, no?)

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 05:25 PM
It didn't, but that does cover one! (And I think that while you casted from the selected stat, all of your stats had to be high enough to use powers of the tied discipline, no?)

True, but I'd rather use a single 3.0 feat than an entire 3.0 class.