PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Early boosts to CL

dextercorvia
2010-05-23, 02:53 PM
I'm looking for a way to have a Human Wizard with a caster level of 4 by ECL 3. My goal is to satisfy the prereq. for Extra Slot, with the third level feat.

I found the spellgifted trait, but I'm not sure that works for the prereq. I'm guessing there are some things sorcerers can do with the Rites to make this happen, but is there anything that doesn't bust WBL for a Wizard?

demidracolich
2010-05-23, 02:57 PM
If you mainly use a certain type of spells you could take a reserve feat. They give you +1CL for certain types of spells as well as an at will ability as long as you have a spellslot of that type left.

Eurus
2010-05-23, 03:02 PM
So you need a way to permanently (meaning items and spells are out, and as you're too low level to take most PrCs you're basically looking for a feat) raise your CL for all spells at all times? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, and a quick skim through this thread (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19872350/Raising_Caster_Level) produces mostly conditional bonuses or bonuses to certain categories of spells. Not sure if it can be done.

The Glyphstone
2010-05-23, 03:06 PM
Bloodlines?

Hatchling Phaerimm cheese?

dextercorvia
2010-05-23, 03:08 PM
Yeah, I was just looking there. It doesn't have to be permanent, but it needs to last until 4th level at least.

I'm looking for a spell slot, at 3rd. I had thought about using a dragonsblood pool, but I wanted something that any character should have access to.

IIRC Create Magic Tatoo requires a CL of 11 before it grants the CL boost is that correct? That would be too expensive, even if you assume that ECL 3 only lasts 3-4 days.

Edit: Bloodlines don't say that they delay feats though.

PId6
2010-05-23, 03:21 PM
Well besides turning sorcerer levels into wizard ones through intense cheese (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8544775&postcount=5), you can also try to pool/lend wealth enough to buy a Ring of Arcane Might (20k). Otherwise, you can level up normally until you get wealth enough for a Ring or Orange Ioun Stone, then level drain yourself back down to 3rd level and get a Greater Restoration to restore it all in the way you want.

dextercorvia
2010-05-23, 03:32 PM
Thanks. Keep in mind the point is to get an extra spell slot at 3rd level. It isn't crucial to the build I have in mind, but it does keep the power level consistent over ECL 3-5 (that is to say when everyone else is too).

Ferrin
2010-05-23, 04:32 PM
Well, taking Precocious Apprentice at level 1 (if the game didn't start yet) effectively gives you extra slot for a 2nd level spell slot at 3rd level. Can't think of anything else right now though. But really, ask your DM if you can get the reqs off entirely, it's not that good a feat anyway.

Yorrin
2010-05-23, 04:36 PM
Being Human really screws you in the early-CL department. I know of a couple ways to do it with a Kobold or a Warforged, but I suppose that's irrelevant to you, yes?

dextercorvia
2010-05-23, 10:05 PM
I'm not tied to human. I've been using the bonus feat though.

Re: Precocious Apprentice, I already have that, which is why the usual second level spells at third is kind of a power level dip in the build. I'm trying to maintain the spell level advantage.

Edit: I suppose illumian is the easiest way to do this. The improved krau sigil won't hurt either. Sigh. So long human bonus feat.