PDA

View Full Version : Champions of the Gods IC

Octopus Jack
2010-05-23, 03:57 PM
You have all been brought by guides to a large room. It is ornatly decorated with gold and silver walls, many sculptures and paintings adorn the walls. A long table with four chairs on each side is in the center of the room, one chair is at the head of the table. An old robed man, human with long grey hair, sits in that chair. On each side of him are two younger attendants, dressed in the same attire. There are various grand doors leading out of the room. One of these even more decorative than the others was the one you entered through.

"Please take a seat," The old man begins speaking. "This is the sixth competition between the champions of the Gods, they are run every century. The winner of this competition will recieve honour, fame, money and their patron God's respect, the losers... well I'm sure you can guess. You must all work as a team and your performance will be judged upon a variety of factors, we could watch you, evaluate you for anything you do. You each have your own room, they are your private domain for this competition, no one else is allowed to enter them. This building has a variety of facilities including a group of healers, a library, a training room and a hall showing the statues of previous winners, you may recognise some of them. About a mile away from this building is a town, it is down a well paved road.

Please make your introductions, you have the rest of the evening to do as you wish, the first task will be tomorrow morning. But the competition has already started."

The old man smiles, stands up and leaves.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-23, 04:13 PM
Tresik

Trekis enters, his silver tinted purple scales glistening in the light. He wears plain grey clothes except for a sumptuous blue cloak emblazoned with Bahamut's star. It is well maintained but frayed across the bottom from the long years he has had it.

Tresik takes the second seat down from the man on his right hand side. hen he speaks his voice is deep but smooth "Ah yes, I remember the last one of these, as I recall it was Boccob's champion who claimed the prize. Of course this year Bahamut shall be victorious."

His words are proud, rather than smug.

Killerloop
2010-05-23, 04:27 PM
Eron

"Bahamut? I don't know who he is, but I know who will win this year: KORD!!" thundered Eron entering the room with the grace and elegance of a battle tank.

A giant of a man, this warrior stands over two meters and is clad in full plate mithral armor.

He takes the third seat and sits down, his armor making soft clankings.

"Exactly what we have to do? Defeat other champions?"

Octopus Jack
2010-05-23, 04:30 PM
One of the attendants still in the room immediatly answers the question.

"No sire, a show of arms would favour the Gods of brute force over those of cunning and intellect. Instead your performance in the group, using teamwork will be evaluated."

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-23, 04:33 PM
Trekis

"Ah typical Kordite. "I broke your arm so that means I'm right!!" This should be fun."

Ryuuk
2010-05-23, 04:50 PM
Andre

"If we're gonna have to fight each other, then this must be a huge joke from the rogue." This man is much smaller then the other two. The years have started to take their toll, leaving streaks of white and gray amongst his black hair and a somewhat tired expression. Something else must've left its mark though, as a large scar is ever present at the right side of his face. He's dressed well, carrying a large shield on his back and a this rapier at his side.

He takes a seat, leans back on the chair and puts his boots on the table."Regardless, he'll have the last laugh, he always does." He smiles as he draws a set of pipes, keeping them at his side in case they where needed.

Mordae
2010-05-23, 06:33 PM
Aephren

"Whatever it is, teamwork will suit me just fine," says a young elf with long, pale blonde hair and a slight frame. His green eyes cast about the group, as if assessing the capabilities of each, and he smooths the dark brown shirt that he wears tucked into his rough, indigo-dyed pantaloons. His garb is curiously human in origin, from the clothes to the dark green wool cloak and heavy leather boots with prominent buckles. The lightblade belted at his right sight is the only concession to his elder heritage. He also wears a gold ring on a fine chain around his neck.

He looks as if he is about to add more, but then falls silent.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 08:15 PM
Alaric is more of a lover than a fighter .... so obviously the mention of teamwork over brute force appeals to him. The blue-eyed blond man enters the room in light steps. His demeanor is that of a man well aware of his good looks.

So, it's a show of sorts we are to put for the glory of Myhriss. One where the intrepid hero ... or team of heros, as the case may be, faces innumerable foes and untold danger. Treachery afoot at every step! The heroes' lives hang by a thread, as does the fate of the universe!

He looks around to gauge the effect his words have on the listeners, and takes a seat.

But don't worry, they all live happily everafter. Except that one guy who dies in Act II to display the credibility of the opposition to the audience. Believe me, you don't want to be that guy.

Mordae
2010-05-23, 08:26 PM
The slim elf laughs lightly at the mention of the death in Act II. "I vote for the Kord gentleman, it seems he would be well suited to a glorious demise." He steps across to the fellow artiste and offers a friendly handshake. "Aephren Thiranni. It seems your lady and mine share many aspects; perhaps fate shines upon the champions of Lady Goldheart and the Thrice-Kissed as allies in this endeavour."

Vulaas
2010-05-23, 09:53 PM
A halfling stands off to the side, watching the exchange for some time before stepping forward.

"Bahamut. You have the look of a dragon about you so it fits. Interesting. Did you seek him, or him you? Kord. You're a brawler, sure enough I wouldn't want to be anywhere near you in a fight. Too noisy and sloppy though. Great for making distractions. The rogue...I'm guessing that to be Olidamarra yes? Good for a laugh, but not much for fighting in my experience. Still, he is known for doing a bit of everything. A worthy teammate. Myrhiss, the thrice-kissed. Deity of love. In the competition though, so I'm guessing you're good at something besides seduction. Unsure of talents thusfar. As for myself, I serve Chronepsis the Watcher. I do as I am needed to."

After this short bit of talking, Hircen sits at the table, watching Andre, just in case of an adverse reaction to his judgements.

playswithfire
2010-05-23, 10:04 PM
Manakhad

Coming in just in time to hear the halfling's speech, Manakhad nods in his direction Thanks for the summation. You can add Manakhad, champion of Zuoken, to the list. If you're unfamiliar, he teaches the blending of the training of both mind and body. Having said his piece, the kalashtar moves quietly to any empty chair and sits comfortably. He wears no obvious armor, just simple traveling clothes, though the fist symbol on his belt declares his faith.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-23, 11:11 PM
Alaric accepts the Elf's handshake with a smile.Ah, a fellow connoisseur of the fine arts. Indeed I am blessed, no, we are all blessed, to have a champion of The Winsome Rose on board in this endeavor.

He smirks at the halfling's attempt to classify his allies. Casting us into parts already? That would be destiny's job, would it not?

Ryuuk
2010-05-23, 11:12 PM
Andre

With a nod, Andre brings his pipes to his lips and plays a short tune in confirmation. "If that's what you believe of the rogue then someone's done a good job." He reaches into his pocket and pulls out a small folded mask. With a quick flick, it unfolds and passes over his face. "A bit of everything... Yeah, I think that's pretty accurate. You can call me Andre." When mask is folded once again, the scar is on his left side.

"Chronepsis though, hate to say that doesn't ring a bell. What would you say about your patron?"

Vulaas
2010-05-24, 09:41 AM
"Chronepsis though, hate to say that doesn't ring a bell. What would you say about your patron?"

Hircen

"Chronepsis is mostly worshiped by dragons, which is likely why you don't know much of him. My lord does not often go into mortal affairs, choosing instead to watch for the proper time to act. He is the god of fate, death, judgement, and much more. A perfect patron for my art."

Mordae
2010-05-24, 10:39 AM
Aephren

The young elf flushes slightly at the compliment, be returns a firm handshake. "We shall see about that when judgment comes, I suppose. Though being in such a finely appointed place is a blessing in itself." He glances around the ornate hall. "If I recall correctly, were there not eight champions selected to compete in these games?"

Wacko
2010-05-24, 10:51 AM
"Sorry I'm late." A tall man steps into the room, radiating an aura of confidence. "Got held up at a bloody trial. Fralk Axeweaver, servant of St Cuthbert." He sits, and looks around expectantly.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-24, 12:14 PM
Trekis

"He called me, twice now as it turns out. Always a pleasure to meet a servant of the Silent One, though it must be difficult serving a being who doesn't give his favour in return."

Octopus Jack
2010-05-24, 02:34 PM
One of the attendants speaks up again.

"My lords, if you would not mind could you please evacuate this room. It is being prepared for tomorrow. You may go to a more relaxed social area, the training room, the library, the hall of champions and there is a guide waiting outside to take you to the town which has other facilities you may enjoy. Of course there is nothing to stop you going to your rooms or just wandering about the building.

Please enjoy the time you spend here, the briefing of the first challenge will be in this room tomorrow morning."

He speaks quite quickly and politely, but you can hear the urgency in his voice to get you all to move.

Killerloop
2010-05-24, 02:51 PM
Eron

Eron didn't pay much attention to the mockery. But he turned his head towards the Chronepsis's worshipper

"You made a good point little man, don't stay near me in a fight. Expecially when the enemy goes down. Seriously. Kord's blessings are vast, powerful and wild.....but very slow to vent out"

He raised to his feet, ready to leave the room. On his way out he stopped near Fralk.

"Cuthbert... name is familiar. If memory doesn't fails me he was a great warrior during his mortal time"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-24, 02:52 PM
Alaric

[roll0]Bardic knowledge about the town and any attractions it has to offer.

A guide? I know this town like the back of my hand, I can be my own guide, thank you very much. See you tomorrow.

Alaric offers, to whoever of the present company is interested, a guided tour through the historic district.

Mordae
2010-05-24, 02:53 PM
Aephren

The young elf raises an eyebrow and comments to the servant of Myrhiss, "One would have thought that, were this gathering of champions inconvenient to the preparations, an alternate location might have been chosen. There must be places of similar beauty within the walls of this splendid structure." He nods in assent at the offer of a tour. "I should be glad to take you up on your offer, Lord..." He pauses, realizing at that moment that none have been formally introduced.

EDIT: Ninja'ed.

playswithfire
2010-05-24, 04:40 PM
Manakhad
I presume we have met here because, as we have just been told, it is where we will meet tomorrow and they wanted us to know the way. Though, if they'd mentioned it sooner, I wouldn't have sat down. He rises and walks over to the worhippers of Kord and St. Cuthbert. Saint Cuthbert was and is a great warrior, as of course, is your own Kord, who is much revered by the followers of Zuoken. The combat of their followers is not dissimilar though the deities are of different temperament. If Kord is the brawler, Zuoken may be considered the ... pugilist, I suppose or, perhaps the psionic pugilist to be alliterative. I look forward to seeing you in whatever combat may come our way.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-24, 04:45 PM
Tresik

"I'll pass on the tour, I'll take a wander through the hall of heroes and pick out my spot" he says with a smile. "Would anyone care to join me?"

Wacko
2010-05-25, 10:26 AM
You would be right, Manakhad. Do you and Eron want to join me in the training room? He asks them gently.

Ryuuk
2010-05-25, 10:45 AM
Andre

"Sure, I'll join you in the hall, er, servant of Bahamut." He stands and lets the pipes hang from his neck and goes off. At the very least, this would give him a good idea of which abilities this contest favored.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-25, 12:24 PM
Trekis

"Ah my apologies, I am Trekis. You're the first mortals I've been in contact with for about 4 years and 8 months, sometimes I forget these things."

Vulaas
2010-05-25, 01:03 PM
Hircen

"If you do not mind, I shall join you in going to town, Alaric. I have a couple things I need to purchase."

Killerloop
2010-05-25, 01:11 PM
Eron

Eron rejoiced at the proposal of sparring.

"Sure, why not? Training is never enough!! Let's go" he said, raising from the seat who made a loud crank at the relieve from such a weight.

playswithfire
2010-05-25, 04:35 PM
Manakhad
Training sounds good, and Manakhad asks one of the attendants to give them directions to the training room and sets of with the other two in that direction.

Octopus Jack
2010-05-25, 05:11 PM
Characters heading for the Hall of heroes:

The Hall: An attendant takes you through a series of corridors and doors. You enter a high ceilinged long room. Five statues roughly 10foot tall each line the room. The first of which is a wooden statue of a woman in robes, on closer inspection you see thousands of tiny runes carved into every part of the statue, the woman the statue is depicting is tall and lean shown to be un-armoured and wielding a quarterstaff. On the base of the statue you can see Raochi champion of Boccob

The second statue is entirely carved out of black obsidian; a well built man wearing full plate armour is depicted. He has no helm and on his face you can see a twisted smile, in one of his hands is a flail. You can read Hinarth Champion of Hextor.

The third statue down the room is made of various pieces of ebony and ivory twisted together to depict an unevenly striped black and white champion wearing a smiling mask on his face and holding two daggers as his weapon of choice. The base reads Goldson the masked, champion of Olidammara.

Forth along is a solid stone statue, it is shorter than the rest and depicts a stoic dwarf holding a large two handed axe; you can see the determination in the chiselled features of his face. Krenor champion of Moradin

The final one is made of Gold, it is half a millennium old, and is very dusty. It looks as though it hasn’t been touched in a long time. The statue shows a tall, well built, man, lightly armoured wielding a vicious looking glaive. The base of the statue is damaged; the writing meant to be underneath his name has been scratched out and new writing has been carved in above it. What you can make out is: Bachor the godless.

Characters heading for the Training Room:
The Training Room: One of the other attendants leads you away through a door and then takes you down some stairs. Everywhere you look you can see lavish decoration; you are taken through a short series of doors and corridors until you reach a large wooden door. The attendant opens it and walks inside. The difference between this room and all the others is noticeable immediately, wherever you look in this large room there is no decorations to be seen. Various weapons, some metal, some wooden on racks line the walls. There are weights, punch-bags, and two rings for training in. The attendant starts to speak, “All these facilities are here for you to use, please enjoy yourselves.” He smiles then takes a seat in the room ready to watch what you do then lead you back when you’re done.

Characters heading for the town
The Town: After leaving the building through the main, huge doors, you see a well maintained road running down a hillside. Following this road you come to quite a large town, in this town you know that you could probably find a shrine to any God you could think of. The town is neatly divided into areas, the one you would potentially find the most useful is the commercial area which contains a variety of shops where you could probably purchase anything. The buildings in town are all simple one or two floor stone buildings and the cobbled streets are well maintained like the road that took you there. The other areas are: the temples area where great churches and small shrines of many gods meet; the nobles’ district where the upper classes live and work away from the rabble; the residential area where the majority of the population live and some work in their own homes and the industrial area where large factories mass produce goods providing many people with jobs.
Alaric the White's bardic knowledge about town: Along with those details you also know that a group of bandits lead by a man called Shanar are at large in the area south of the town but havn't attacked the town itself.
The mayor of the town is looking for a suitable husband for his daughter Kiriana.
The local cuisine of the town is it's famous Cloaker soup.
A preacher of Heironeous is attempting to remove the shrines and temples of "evil and dispicable gods" from the temples area

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 09:30 AM
Alaric, accompanied by Aephren and Hircen, strolls through the town, breathing in its history, which seeps out from every building and every stone.

[[OOC: if anyone else wishes to join, will retcon]]

Along the way, Alaric takes the time to reflect on the Elf's comment.

It is indeed strange that they put us in that room and asked to vacate it almost immediately. But I hardly suspect ill will, merely poor organization on their part. We'll see tomorrow, I guess.

In the commercial district, as Hircen is doing his shopping, Alaric darts into a similar store and buys a scroll of Remove Fear, because, well, you never know.

Also, how about some Cloaker Soup, I heard it's the local specialty.

Killerloop
2010-05-26, 10:06 AM
Eron - Training Room

Eron puts back his Executionner's Mace and grabs a wooden greatsword from the rack. He slashes the air for a few seconds and then turns to his companions.

"Heeeeere we go! Anyone of you guys want to spar a little? Otherwise I choose you, attendant, as my sparring partner! We can even practice wrestling if you want, I'm very good at it!"

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-26, 12:10 PM
Tresik

"Well that's not something you see everyday? Got any backstory on that?"

Mordae
2010-05-26, 01:15 PM
Aephren takes the opportunity to pick up a few consumables while the other two champions are doing likewise. Meeting back up in the street, he nods amicably to Alaric's suggestion. "Can't be championing on an empty stomach, after all. By the way, my name's Aephren."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 01:55 PM
Oh, yes, forgive me, I forgot we haven't been formally introduced. I'm Alaric the White.

In the tavern, while waiting for the soup, Alaric strikes a conversation with the waiting staff. So, I heard the mayor is looking for suitors for his lovely daughter. Anyone you know losing sleep over this?
(He knows this is probably not a good time to play Cupid, but cannot resist at least probing.)

Gather Information about her ladyship potential suitors [roll0]

Wacko
2010-05-26, 02:19 PM
Fralk grins. "I'll spar with you, Eron. What are the rules?" He picks up twin wooden throwing axes.

Killerloop
2010-05-26, 02:56 PM
Eron - Training Room

"Well these won't kill us for sure. So I say no holds barred... except for hitting when opponents isn't standing... that isn't required here."

Octopus Jack
2010-05-26, 02:59 PM
Alaric The White's gather information:

As far as most of the general public are concerned there is only one suitable man to court the mayor's daughter Tursek Knoxus the wealthiest young man in the town, he family own large amounts of land and a fair amount of the industrial area. However he is rude and obnoxious to all who he sees as being below him, which is anyone without as much money as him. Most of the other nobles in the town are either too poor, not involved in politics enough or already married.
However the barman also tells you a rumor that he has heard, it may or may not be true, that Shanar the bandit intends to court her.

In the training room the attendant speaks up. "If you intend to fight using those weapons, here are your instructions: Start in one of the rings, but you by no means have to stay there. The weapons are not lethal, the first one to either drop unconscious or submit to the other loses. Simple isn't it?" The attendant with you seems more cheerful than the one who spoke to you in the main room where you all first gathered.

Ryuuk
2010-05-26, 06:35 PM
Andre

Andre steps forward to take a good look at the statue of Goldson. He'd never heard of the man, if his name had been celebrated, it had been murmured only amongst a the few who knew him. Still, he couldn't help but feel a certain sense of pride in seeing it there, while the burly followers of Kord or Cuthbert where nowhere to be found. He doesn't ask about him, he simply prefers to take the possibility that Goldson was just an alias that was never seen again as truth. That the past champion of the rogue returned to enjoy his new found riches in his own terms. He smiles.

Instead he turns back to Tresik. "You mean the godless? That doesn't make much sense to me either. If this is a contest amongst the gods then how did a man win it without a sponsor? Or did he end up renouncing him? He must have really been something." He turns to the attendant. "What's his story?"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-26, 07:34 PM
The young lady seems to be in a bad way. A loveless marriage to an obnoxious noble, or a life or servitude as a wench for a lawless bandit. Sounds like a lose-lose situation. However... wait... of course!

The laws of drama dictate that Shanar the so-called-bandit is in fact a good man, wrongly framed for crimes he did not commit, leading a band of freedom fighters, struggling for the simple folk and against oppression by the local lords! And he and Kiriana are childhood friends, separated by cruel fate! Of course, this solves everything!

Alaric asks around for as many opinions as he can gather about Shanar - does he fit the description of a good guy, or is he a common murderous bandit lord?
Gather Information about Shanar [roll0], Bardic Knowledge in case it helps [roll1] edit: darn :smallfurious:

playswithfire
2010-05-26, 08:09 PM
Manakhad
You two go ahead. I'll just practice over hear. Weapons aren't my style, other than these he holds out his arms so I'll just practice over here and maybe spar one of you after. He moves to the further circle and begins moving in what you infer must be a standard form of whatever martial training he has had.

Octopus Jack
2010-05-27, 04:35 AM
The hall of heroes:

The attendant with you speaks up nervously. "We erm don't speak about him much, his name was Bachor. He was the first winner of the competition he was incontent with the respect he recieved from his God, the God of slaughter. Bachor, on the day of his announcement of winner, denounced his God and claimed he was the true winner. When denied his title as champion he went on a killing spree, killing all the other attendants apart from the Master of the House who was in the hall to greet you. You may have heard of Bachor in ancient myth, he was a great warrior but without control, he slaughtered entire cities at a whim." The attendant stops speaking suddenly, possibly realising he may have said too much.

The town:

Gather info All you find out about Shanar is that he regually demands tribute from travallers passing through but it is said his men greatly admire his leadership.
Alaric's soup is delivered to his table by the barman. He sits down opposite Alaric and starts talking softly. "I hear you are looking for information about Shanar, well I happen to have met him and could tell you all about him. For a good price of course." He winks at you

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 09:53 AM
Alaric takes a sip of the soup. Most excellent cuisine you have here, my good man. Compliments to the chef. He rubs two gold pieces together, palms one of them, and makes it appear in his other hand. He then pulls the other one out of the barman's ear.

A bit of showing off with Sleight of Hand [roll0]

He smiles and hands the coins to the barman. I would be delighted to hear more.

Mordae
2010-05-27, 10:18 AM
Aephren claps his hands at the display and also pays for his own meal. He savors the soup with small, delicate spoonfuls of the clear broth and lightly seasoned meat. "My compliments to the chef. Do tell about these bandits--do they assert themselves in the local politics in any way? Have they always been a force, or was there some precipitating event that drove them to lawlessness?"

Octopus Jack
2010-05-27, 11:26 AM
Town:

The barman keeps talking "Well Shanar comes from way down south. He is a strong man, mentaly and physically, ex-nobility too. He was born in the road, shortly after his family was deposed, he was brought up by his uncle the only surviving member of his family. There he took on the life of a raider, despised all but his men, to survive. After getting in deep with law enforcement down south him and his men moved further north close to here.
I met him when he jumped my trade caravan coming up with fresh cloakers, charming man and can be easily swayed from robbing or killing you with a good fresh bowl of cloaker soup."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:33 AM
Seems like cloaker soup is the solution to all life's problems around here. And what does lady Kiriana feel about the prospect of such man courting her? Does she have enough cloaker soup to last a lifetime with him?

Octopus Jack
2010-05-27, 11:46 AM
The Barman laughs then keeps talking.

"If only cloaker soup could solve everyproblem, then your little competition would be a breeze," he winks at you. "All we know of Kiriana is that she would probably prefer Shanar to the more legitimate prospect."

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 11:49 AM
Whoa, wait, you know about our competition? What kind of a barman are you?

Octopus Jack
2010-05-27, 11:58 AM
"The competition is held a mile away from here every century for six hundred years and it always starts around the same date. New people in town, competition about to start it dosn't take a genius to put two and two together. The competition is rooted in the history of the town, there is a reason why we have lots of shrines and temples, lots of librarys devoted to divine knowledge. I look forward to hearing tales of your exploits, but now you have told me that you are a competitor would you like a drink on the house?"

Mordae
2010-05-27, 12:02 PM
"Make it two, my good man; the finest wine you have, elven preferred but I'll defer to your expert recommendation. Should that be more expensive than you were planning to offer freely, I will pay for the whole bottle--the whole case if it is really of excellent quality." The slim elf interjects himself at the offer of a drink, a smile playing on his face that is oddly reminiscent of a teenager having broken into his father's liquor cabinet.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-27, 12:08 PM
Somewhat embarrassed he didn't know that, Alaric does his best to dodge. I ... uhm, yes, of course, I knew about the history of the competition, it's just that I was surprised you so quickly guessed why we're here. And thank you for the kind offer, I don't drink, except for seduction purposes, but the soup is good and I'd like another plate for Drago, please, if you can.

Alaric lets out a small winged creature, no more than 1 foot in size, from his pack. This is Drago, his Pseudodragon familiar. He's actually quite tame.

Drago uncoils his tail and wags it playfully.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-27, 12:12 PM
Trekis

"Well that's certainly an interesting tale. Not the kind of response you want but it does make an exellent caution against forgetting the reason you're here at all."

Octopus Jack
2010-05-27, 01:59 PM
Town:

The barman says "I think I have a fine old vintage back in the cellar I'll go get it. He returns a few minutes later with an old dusty bottle of wine and two more bowls of cloaker soup. He sets them down on the table and pours the wine. It is a very fine wine one of the finest you have ever tasted, the barman carries on talking "Only got one bottle of this stuff, my father got it for me when in Elven lands to the far east nothing is too good for the soon to be champions. So tell me about your adventures so far. I want to know about the history of the potential winner.

Hall
The attendant is staring at the last statue then breaks the silence. "If that is all you wish to see here, would you like to go to a more comfortable area or even to your individual rooms if you are done for the evening?"

Vulaas
2010-05-28, 12:03 AM
Hircen

With barely a sound, Hircen rejoins the group, having made his purchases. Rather than jumping in, the halfling deigns not join the conversation, but watches with interest at what they have to say, choosing a seat at the corner of the bar with the best view he can get of the room.

"Just a cup of the soup, if you don't mind. No wine, dulls the senses. Need to keep alert, best option.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-05-28, 09:38 AM
You wish to hear of adventures? Well, let's see, there was this time I was traveling through the Stittlewood forest to deliver a ballad to the elven princess Sharanya, when I was jumped by a pack of Trolls. Vicious creatures, these are, and not all dumb beasts as one may suspect; some have even ties with nature and can cause it to do their bidding, as a Druid might. So, I'm on the forest trail, at night, with only a flickering torchling to illuminate my way.

He takes a sip of soup for dramatic pause.

And with no warning, weeds, bushes and roots rise off the ground to trap and entangle me. As I struggle to release myself, half dozen of the beasts surround me, laughing and drooling to the best of their ability, taunting me with "haha, we have you now", or some other idiocy that comes to their tiny brains.

So, what would a helpless bard do? I muster all my concentration, say a quick prayer to Myhriss, and unleash a wave of magical energy at them. Muscle and sinew they have in abundance, but willpower is not their forte. Not even the one that was, as they say, one with nature. They find the energy highly confusing ... they all ...

Alaric seems to be transformed for a moment. He laughs a snorting, somewhat dorky laugh.

Would you believe this, they all roll 71-100, "attack nearest creature". All six of them. What are the freaking odds? Man, that was totally epic.

He changes again, into his usual charming self.

They all start to slap and fight each other. I somehow cleared myself from the entangling roots and managed to escape. The elven princess appreciated the ballad, by the way.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-31, 02:16 PM
Trekis

As he leaves the Chamber Trekis bows to the attendant and Andre before retiring to his room to meditate.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-02, 04:34 AM
With little left to do the characters return from town and to their rooms, the sparring turned out to be a well fought draw with both sides gathering the advantage at some point.

In the morning you are all summoned to the main room you first met each other in. The old man who greeted you yesturday is sitting down in his chair once more.
"I hope you enjoyed last night, today you have an assignment to complete as a team. To the north of this town is a cave, the entrance to this cave is shut by a door that cannot be picked, inside this cave is the self titled Lord Protector of the Undead's realm. Your assignment is to slay him and bring us his head as proof of your deeds, this will be a challenging day for all of you. You must find your way to the cave by yourselves there can be no further help from us at this point in time. See you this evening when you return"

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-02, 10:16 AM
Alaric

To the north is a cave ... - well, that's a vague set of instructions if I ever saw one. Any chance you can elaborate? Oh, right, There can be no further help from us. Very well.

Alaric tries to jog his memory for any cave-related legends to narrow down the search.

Bardic Knowledge [roll0]

If that fails, he will go to town again and tap into its vast reservoires of local knowledge. Of course, other champions, especially Aephren, are more than welcome to join him on this info-gathering trip, but even if no one comes, Alaric will still go, because frankly, just going north without further directions sounds a bit dumb to him.

Gather Information [roll1] (if other characters wish to assist me in Gather Information, I get +2 for everyone that beats DC 10)

Killerloop
2010-06-02, 10:55 AM
Eron

Roteating his weapon with little effort Eron said: "What cannot be picked can surely smashed. Let's go to this 'door' then so I can open it my way"

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-02, 01:57 PM
Trekis

"We are going to fight a "Lord of the Undead", it's not implausible that the door might try and smash you back. Best be a little cautious."

Mordae
2010-06-02, 02:02 PM
Aephren

The slim elf smiles at the cryptic instructions. "Perhaps if we knock and ask politely, they will let us in. I am sure that if this self-titled lord has any real power, there must be some around who would know of him. It seems another trip to town would be in order." He looks down the table, raising an eyebrow at Alaric.

We'll see if I can help Alaric with a little

Gather Information: [roll0]

Ryuuk
2010-06-02, 05:08 PM
Andre

In response to the story of the murderer, Andre remains silent for a moment. "He sounds like the repentant rogue... Even if he claimed to have renounced his god, it sounds like he continued to follow his doctrine... Alas, a murderer is a murderer..." He remains thoughtful as Trekis leaves and follows him soon after. He spends the rest of the night in his room, checking his notes and wondering just how far Andromalius would have gotten.

---

Once the assignment is given. He nods mostly to himself as the others do their planning. "The lord of the undead... Very well, I assume you guys will come back here after you're visit to town? I just need an hour to plan and get ready."

playswithfire
2010-06-02, 06:52 PM
Manakhad
Well, I doubt we should be so lucky, but, of course, one door that can not be picked is one that is already unlocked. He chuckles briefly, then mumbles something to himself and his clothing seems to ruffle slightly. I'm ready to head out whenever you all are. If those here are unable or not allowed to help us any more, we may want to check with those in town. A shrug. Or check the sun, head north, and hope we get lucky.

Wacko
2010-06-03, 02:17 AM
"Whatever guys, just let me know when you're ready to go." He smiles politely. "No one is outside the law."

Vulaas
2010-06-03, 01:19 PM
Hircen

"A moment, if you will. If you want to be fodder for his undead, by all means, charge right in, but I think some reconnaissance would not go unwanted. I also volunteer myself for such a job, as I know that I am among the stealthiest here, and almost assuredly have the most training in observation. Not to dismiss any of your talents, but I am certain that were I to hide, none of you would find me even if you were staring right at me when I hid."

At that, the halfling smiles faintly, caught in the grasp of memory of a similar job to hunt down a troublesome beholder that was threatening one of the watch-tower temples of Chronepsis.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-03, 05:04 PM
Alaric's bardic knowledge:

you recall several rumors and ghost stories about the cave with the bone door, deep in a forest to the north was a small group of mountains. Running through this forest is a river that flows right past the cave. This river also runs close to the town and it may be possible to get a boat from there.
But you also know of a road, that runs from the town through the forest and up to the mountain. Apperently none who travel down that route survive

(OOC what are your plans based off this?)

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-03, 07:02 PM
Alaric's bardic knowledge:

you recall several rumors and ghost stories about the cave with the bone door, deep in a forest to the north was a small group of mountains. Running through this forest is a river that flows right past the cave. This river also runs close to the town and it may be possible to get a boat from there.
But you also know of a road, that runs from the town through the forest and up to the mountain. Apperently none who travel down that route survive

(OOC what are your plans based off this?)

I think the river is safer than the road. I don't know why, could be old wives tales, but anyway, stories tell of an extremely low survival rate for the road travelers. Shall we try to get a boat in town, my fellow champions?

Mordae
2010-06-03, 09:25 PM
"So long as it does not involve any water snakes, I am content with a boat," Aephren grins in response. His slim elven lightblade is belted at his right side, but in all other respects he is as unarmored as the previous day when he met the other champions in the great hall.

Octopus Jack
2010-06-09, 09:57 AM
(I'm gathering you are all going to the town to get a boat, sorry about the delay)

As you return, or visit the town for the first time in some cases, it is crowded and busy like any industrious town would be in a morning, while walking through it the barman from the day before spots the two of you he talked with last night and calls over to you. "Hey! Guys! Over here! Just the two I'm looking for, I saw how much you liked the cloaker soup yesturday so I flasked it for you." He thrusts a warm flask into Alaric and Aephren's hands, he then looks around at the others. "oh, sorry we havn't been introduced so I don't have soup for you. But anyway people, what are you doing in town on a fine morning like today?"

Mordae
2010-06-09, 11:03 AM
Aephren smiles warmly and accepts the flask, tucking it swiftly into his pack and giving the barman a polite bow. "Thank you, kind sir, it will no doubt come in handy. We have a task to attend to up-river; perhaps if we are lucky we will find some delectable cloakers to bring back to you, eh?" He nudges Alaric with one shoulder and gives the barman a tip of the hat.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-09, 11:42 AM
Trekis

Trekis admires the town, since he wasn't there yesterday, habit making him look for signs of Tiamat's dark claws.

-----------
Just in case -
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Know (Arcana): [roll2]

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-09, 02:56 PM
Thank you, dear sir, I shall stow the flask with my most prized possessions, where it shall stay until lunchtime.

playswithfire
2010-06-09, 09:03 PM
Manakhad

Observing the exchange between the man with soup and his two companions Manakhad smiles slightly, acknowledging that others had had fun while he had trained and then decides, as is his habit, to be direct. Addressing the man with soup, would you be able to point us in the direction of a boat we could either rent or get passage on that's heading our direction?

Vulaas
2010-06-10, 03:48 PM
Hircen

The grey-haired halfling almost looks bored with the exchange, and a look that plainly states he wonders why we're bothering with this even.

"All we need is a boat, and a plan. That said, I volunteer to do a scouting expedition into the cave to let you guys know the best ways in. A second would be nice, but entirely unneeded. The sooner we get this over with, the happier I'll be. Every wasted minute is potential for them to move against us."

Wacko
2010-06-13, 11:43 AM
"I agree with the halfling. It has always paid to be prepared."

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-13, 03:10 PM
Trekis

"We must be off then. I can second on a scouting expedition if you wish, I'm not unskilled in that area."

Vulaas
2010-06-13, 11:56 PM
Hircen

"I'd be honored to work with another initiate of the Draconic Gods. Perhaps you could tell me more of the Protector on the way up, even. It is good to learn, after all."

Octopus Jack
2010-06-16, 10:36 AM
A local townsperson runs a boat service along the river and would be glad to lend you a boat for "a favour" later on, if you are all taking the boat up it will be about an hour of travel before you'll be far enough upstream to be near the cave.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-16, 10:59 AM
Upstream, eh? Never was one for rowing ... Can't produce heavenly string music when your fingers are all blistered. I guess I'm going to have to take the rudder.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-16, 01:17 PM
Trekis

Trekis however will gladly take an oar, after semi-seriously (at least outwardly, in his mind he is dead serious) taking the formality of ensuring the favour will have nothing to do with forwarding the goals of Tiamat (if he refuses Trekis will melt him).

playswithfire
2010-06-16, 06:09 PM
Manakhad

Manakhad takes an oar and hums quietly to himself to keep a rhythm, while looking around at the scenery, as well as for potential dangers.

Vulaas
2010-06-17, 08:31 PM
Hircen

The quiet little halfling takes the ship's bow wordlessly, watching for dangers.

Mordae
2010-06-25, 01:29 PM
Aephren

Aephren takes a seat at an oar near Alaric, using the exercise to get his muscles limbered up for the inevitable conflict. "A song for the trip, master bard?" he invites between pulls.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-06-25, 02:43 PM
Row, row, row your boat
gently up the stream
merrily, merrily, merrily
life is but a dream.

Kobold-Bard
2010-06-29, 01:04 PM
Trekis

Trekis' eyes scan the town, confounded by the way everyone is frozen in place and the fact that his oar doesn't seem to be doing anything.

-----------
:smallwink:

Octopus Jack
2010-07-02, 02:41 PM
The boat finds it's way up the river, you can make out a glimps of a mountain in the distance before the shade of obscuring trees falls over the river. The boat enters a large dense forest, the heavy branches of trees covering most of the river in shade, after a few minutes of travel through the forest the crew who arn't engaged in rowing spot something sticking out of the water about 50feet away, it looks like some kind of large verticle stick unmoving in the river.

Lin Bayaseda
2010-07-02, 03:09 PM
Alaric

Veritably, it is the River of Sticks, if you don't mind the pun.

Let's take a look: Spot [roll0]

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-06, 04:56 AM
Trekis

"Well now, that's something new. Can we steer around it?"

Mordae
2010-07-06, 07:07 AM
Aephren

Aephren groans and replies, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but puns--no matter how bad--will never hurt me." Out of an abundance of caution, he loosens his thin lightblade in its sheath, ready to be drawn at a moment's notice.

playswithfire
2010-07-06, 08:56 PM
Manakhad

Manakhad begins trying to steer the boat about the large stick, though he is unusually wary of it.

Kobold-Bard
2010-07-17, 05:37 AM
Trekis

As he does his part steering around the stick Trekis offers a silent call to Bahamut; asking him to intervene with the great overgod Dea-Em to not forget the team of Champions.