PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Variant: too OP or decent?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-23, 08:03 PM
Okay, I'm running a game for some friends, running on the whole 'rule of cool' more than RAW, so we have a lot of fun.

Friend of mine was wanting to roll up 'a really nifty archer, with a combination of Legolas and the Na'vi, with a splash of Drizzt thrown in'.

Now, for the melee, I saw Swordsage as *THE* ideal class. Mostly because, well... yea.

However, he also wanted ranged combat as well. Which... well... sucks. Even a Swift Hunter isn't really all that hot, when you get right down to it.

So here's what I did:

Took Ranger.

Removed spellcasting and animal companion.

Added: Initiator in the following disciplines: Diamond Mind, Shadow Hand, Tiger Claw, and Setting Sun.

Using the Warblade maneuvers Known/Readied/Stances Known list and Warblade maneuver refreshing mechanic.

Then I let him use maneuvers with his bow, even though it is a ranged weapon.

The result was... surprisingly fun to watch in action. Sure, a bit more powerful than a 'core' Ranger, but the flavor fit, and it worked well with the group.

He decided to go with Rogue3/Ranger6, with Shadow Blade (which was allowed to work with the bow as well), and was quite effective in the role of party skillmonkey/scout/striker.

AstralFire
2010-05-23, 08:12 PM
A few people have made archery disciplines.

Should work fine, though.

PId6
2010-05-23, 08:14 PM
Keep in mind, a lot of maneuvers won't make a lot of sense on a ranged weapon. Tiger Claw and Setting Sun especially would be weird (Jumping makes arrows do more damage? Whaaa?). Diamond Mind fits perfectly, however, as do most Shadow Hand maneuvers, so this seems like a good variant as long as you're willing to use common sense judgment on what maneuvers work when ranged.

It's probably not overpowered as is. I'd suggest discouraging or disallowing the Splitting special ability, however. With normal archers, it helps with otherwise low damage output, but assuming a T3-ish party, doubling a Greater Insightful Strike might be a bit too strong for most games.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-23, 08:20 PM
Keep in mind, a lot of maneuvers won't make a lot of sense on a ranged weapon. Tiger Claw and Setting Sun especially would be weird (Jumping makes arrows do more damage? Whaaa?). Diamond Mind fits perfectly, however, as do most Shadow Hand maneuvers, so this seems like a good variant as long as you're willing to use common sense judgment on what maneuvers work when ranged.

It's probably not overpowered as is. I'd suggest discouraging or disallowing the Splitting special ability, however. With normal archers, it helps with otherwise low damage output, but assuming a T3-ish party, doubling a Greater Insightful Strike might be a bit too strong for most games.

Splitting property does not exist in this game setting.

Tiger Claw is, explicitly, to be used for his melee weapons. Setting Sun is for the aerobic dodging and crazy nimble 'elf' persona. Besides, see Avatar for 'jumping and shooting to do more damage'.

Demons_eye
2010-05-23, 09:04 PM

Mechanically you are right but fluff is fluff and you can change it. Jumping to shoot your arrows allow you hit vital points, I recall a maneuver that you have to jump over the foe, you shoot and snag clothing throwing back the foe, and your arrow shoots so fast it makes a double of itself (Shadow blade strike).

Boci
2010-05-23, 09:09 PM
Tiger Claw and Setting Sun especially would be weird (Jumping makes arrows do more damage? Whaaa?).

Is it any wierder than a scout adding xd6 damage because he moved?

Keld Denar
2010-05-23, 09:12 PM
Fax Celestis' Falling Star Discipline (http://wiki.faxcelestis.net/./index.php?title=Falling_Star_Discipline)

I've used it on a Sublime Marshall build, and its pretty awesome.

PId6
2010-05-23, 09:13 PM
Is it any wierder than a scout adding xd6 damage because he moved?
Well, depends. If the scout's moving closer, it could just be an application of momentum (a stretch, but believable). If he's moving away... no clue. :smalltongue:

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-23, 09:13 PM
Maybe a bit OP. Some maneuvers were definitely not meant to be used not ranged. Try these though:
Sublime Way Variant Ranger (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19519074/Sublime_Way_Variant_Ranger)
Falling_Star_style:_the_Tenth_Path_of_the_Sublime_ Way (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19527602/Falling_Star_style:_the_Tenth_Path_of_the_Sublime_ Way)
Age of Warriors - ToB community expansion (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7623906)

Lots of really good material there.

Vaynor
2010-05-23, 09:34 PM
Here's (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143785) three more archery disciplines you could use, as well.