PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Bard optimization help

Zore
2010-05-23, 09:28 PM
Hey, I've got a pretty neat character concept for an upcoming game but I'm having a few issues making it a reality, at least at the level we're playing at. Its going to be a reasonably high power game and I find my optimization-fu lacking. I'm attempting to create a Bard who works for the city's assassin's guild. Using his abilities as an entertainer to get access to his targets. I really want to keep the bard central to the build, but without ToB I'm not sure what the best thing to do. So I appeal to you guys.

Heres the restrictions

-Level 8, 32 pt. buy
-Race: Kobold w/ web supplement
-Up to two flaws
-No ToM, ToB, BoED, Incarnum or Psionics

Keld Denar
2010-05-23, 09:38 PM
Dragon Magic has Dragonfire Inspiration.

Use the web enhancement Kobald to get the Claw Claw Bite attacks.

Maximize your Inspire Courage ability (search Optimized Inspire Courage).

You have 3 attacks per round, hit your enemies hard with your multiple d6s of elemental damage.

You should probably go straight bard for at least the first 5 levels. Then either go into Lyric Thamaturge or sticking it out for 9 levels before dipping 1 in Virtuoso, then Sublime Chord for 2 levels, then back into Virtuoso for another 8 levels.

Early to mid game, you have your IC and other bardic abilities to carry you and your party. Late game, you turn into essentially a full level sorcerer, allowing you to keep up and play ball with the big boys in the major league.

Prodan
2010-05-23, 09:38 PM
Dracolexi.

WeLoveFireballs
2010-05-23, 09:39 PM
Lol I made one of these a week ago but he had rolled stats and was level 2. I figure if you are going to play a bard its for the laughs so I gave him that peculiar kobald mindset where he must have "a master". He will do anything for them, defend them to the death and play the part of comic relief. If my current character dies dear little Tabriz will rush up and hug his new master around the leg. Sorry I don't have any optimization pointers for ya but this was just an intresting coincidence.

P.S. Kobalds like fiddles.

P.P.S. Did you know "Kobald" is German for Goblin?

gallagher
2010-05-23, 09:40 PM
take dips in a class (prestige or regular) that gives you the death attack ability where you have to study your opponent for a few rounds beforehand. you can socialize with your target while you study him, if i recall. so keep him fascinated and study away

Toliudar
2010-05-23, 09:48 PM
Well, if you want to be literal, Bard 5 is enough to qualify for Assassin.

The Snowflake Wardance feat from Frostburn would help you bump up the melee lethality of your bard. But it might also be really fun to have a bard who uses Subsonics to implant suggestions charms in bodyguards etc to do the killing for him.

Flickerdart
2010-05-23, 09:51 PM
If you want to optimize your Bardic Music, this feat (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Song_Of_The_Heart) is exceptionally easy to qualify for.

Saintheart
2010-05-23, 09:59 PM
Not sure if it helps, but Badge of Courage from the MiC gives you an untyped +1 to Inspire Courage effects. As does the Inspirational Boost spell. You're already Level 8, so a Masterwork Lute won't do you much good, but don't forget the Song of the Heart feat which also increases it by a stackable +1 as well. At level 8 you should be putting out +5 Inspire Courage effects if that's your thing.

Alternatively, you could just ditch Inspire Courage altogether and go for the ACF Inspire Awe from Dragon Magic, and then max your Perform checks. This might be a bit more in keeping with the character concept. At 8th level, you make a Perform check, and every enemy that can see or hear you has to make a Will save against the Perform roll. Fail and become Shaken for that round and one after that. Look for fear-optimisation builds if you're going down this path.

On the other hand, if your character uses performance to get close to his enemies, you might need to look to builds that max out or at least improve the Fascinate or Suggestion class features. I'd also recommend, if you can fit it, a one-level dip into Mindbender; telepathy as a class feature is just a gimme, and if you combine it with the Mindsight feat from Lords of Madness it becomes Predator-vision against virtually anything within 100 feet of you.

Keld Denar
2010-05-24, 02:54 AM
Its not Badge of Courage, its Badge of Valor. Its in the very back of the MIC, with the set items.

And you shouldn't EVER ditch IC. Its your single strongest ability as a bard, outside fo the ability to qualify easily for the Sublime Chord PrC. IC really is a force multiplier, and the mor attacks your team can amass betwen the lot of you, the stronger IC becomes. With a little optimization, you will vicariously deal more damage with it per encounter than all other players combined. With a lot of optimization, anyone in your party, including your 1st level commoner followers, will be able to 1-shot many CR appropriate encounters.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 04:04 AM
Lol I made one of these a week ago but he had rolled stats and was level 2. I figure if you are going to play a bard its for the laughs so I gave him that peculiar kobald mindset where he must have "a master". He will do anything for them, defend them to the death and play the part of comic relief. If my current character dies dear little Tabriz will rush up and hug his new master around the leg. Sorry I don't have any optimization pointers for ya but this was just an intresting coincidence.

P.S. Kobalds like fiddles.

P.P.S. Did you know "Kobald" is German for Goblin?
Use the web enhancement Kobald to get the Claw Claw Bite attacks.Kobold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold), people, please.

I have a shriveled soul of a born nitpicker, and "kobald" really hurts it. :smallfrown:

Prodan
2010-05-24, 04:09 AM
Kobold (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold), people, please.

I have a shriveled soul of a born nitpicker, and "kobald" really hurts it. :smallfrown:

Why does the mispelling of words effect you so?

Greenish
2010-05-24, 04:12 AM
Why does the mispelling of words effect you so?I don't know, it's silly, but it does. I could hardly visit the forums back when there was a thread titled in capital letters as "PHEONIX", and other rouge angles of satin (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/RougeAnglesOfSatin) cause me to grit my teeth.

Sometimes I just have to say something. No offense meant.

Prodan
2010-05-24, 04:15 AM
Hm. It seems my deliberately misspelled words went unnoticed and/or unappreciated.:smalltongue:

Greenish
2010-05-24, 04:20 AM
Hm. It seems my deliberately misspelled words went unnoticed and/or unappreciated.I do try to moderate myself not to pick out all misspellings, but some of them really get my goat.

Prodan
2010-05-24, 04:28 AM
I do try to moderate myself not to pick out all misspellings, but some of them really get my goat.

I can certainly see how two different people misspelling Kobold would do that...

Greenish
2010-05-24, 04:50 AM
I can certainly see how two different people misspelling Kobold would do that...Maybe I'm too sensitive, but that particular one seems to be more common than rouge in a cabaret.

Ingus
2010-05-24, 05:21 AM
I strongly suggest you Virtuoso. Very funny to play, you can sort out a big break with subsonics+defamation (not sure, maybe "calunny" in 3.5). Not even dirting your own hands. :smallamused: