PDA

View Full Version : Stay away from my animal friend, darn it.

Sweet
2010-05-24, 01:55 AM
I swear to god, every time I play a druid, paladin, ranger, or a spellcaster with a familiar in D&D or (recently) Pathfinder, somebody tries to jack my critter. They just decide that they're entitled to swipe my furry/feathered/whatever friend. This goes beyond just wanting to roleplay with it.

Last time, it was a druid that thought my paladin mount should be hers. She kept casting "Speak with Animals" and demanding to talk with my mount. The DM would shrug and gesture at me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking more unique opportunies to RP, but then the rest of the party would have to watch me be forced to play Mr. Ed for ten minutes and tell the druid that I was fine with the paladin (... which was my PC) and didn't really care to "switch teams." She was persistent. She would tell everyone that she thought she was making headway.

In the current group, the dragon blooded sorceress is trying to charm my druid's velociraptor animal companion. Because it is a "dragon" and she has more of a connection to it then I. She, like that druid from before, wishes to dictate how my companion and I interact. On a few occasions she's made the attempt in combat. I've been accused of keeping the velociraptor as a slave. I just... man, I don't know. I don't know what she wants from me. I'll tell her I'm splitting my share of treasure with my "dragon" partner. I don't have enough ranks in Diplomacy for this.

Other times include when I made the mistake of choosing a cat as my wizard's familiar; the monk... she just straight up took it. She took my familiar. Wouldn't give it back. Another time, as a ranger, I had a horse companion. I wouldn't let the barbarian ride it, so he ate it. Ate my damn horse. Damn barbarians. I should note that these are pretty much all different groups over the years, often with common players between them, but different offenders in almost every case. I'm beginning to suspect a conspiracy.

FML. I need to stop playing classes with animal friends. I'm never mistreating the creature, but this almost always happens anyways. This never happens to any other players that I know.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-05-24, 02:01 AM
A housecat might actually kill a monk at level 1.

All that said, I suppose you have the right to be paranoid about your animal companions/familiars/et cetera. So while I normally wouldn't advocate putting spell traps on animal companions like you would a spellbook, for you it might be worthwhile.

Drakevarg
2010-05-24, 02:04 AM
Kill 'em in their sleep. It's the best solution for everything.

Zore
2010-05-24, 02:05 AM
This actually sounds like a fairly major out of game issue, have you talked to any of the other players before/after a session and asking them why? Do they do it to all animal friends anyone has or just yours? Are they doing it only because their character would or is their an out of game motivation as well?

Gorgondantess
2010-05-24, 02:05 AM
This is not your problem. This is the other player's problem. Kindly ask the DM to put a stop to it. Don't just look at him, tell him you're not happy with the way this is working. Killing/stealing an animal companion is just as bad as inter-party theft. If your DM doesn't put a stop to inter-party theft, you're playing with the wrong DM.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-24, 02:07 AM
Warn the Sorceress that your dino companion is just that, a companion... not a tame beast... and it might bite her.

Paladin's Horse is a Celestial Magical Beast... Speak with Animals won't work. :smallwink: Or, you have the Paladin's Horse (just as Lawful Good as said Paladin) lecture the Druid on her moral failings. :smallbiggrin:

Monk grabs a cat, cat scratch's Monk's hand/face. Not all cats are nice, cuddly creatures... in fact, most aren't, especially around strangers.

What alignment was your Ranger? A CG Ranger might abandon the Barbarian who ate his horse companion... a CN Ranger might put an arrow or two through said Barbarian in his sleep.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 02:08 AM
Toss the person to call your dino a "dragon" with Monster Manual and a biology book of your choosing.

Fizban
2010-05-24, 02:11 AM
Tell them to knock it off? Your animal companion/special mount/familiar is not some NPC they can toy with, it's one of your class features and they have no right to mess with it. They all follow your orders and would not "leave" you for any reason. If you need to deal with the DM, then tell him you've ordered your companion not to talk to anyone but you without your permission, or just not to talk to whatever character is giving you grief.

Really, I don't see where this idea is coming from. Can you talk a cleric's god into giving you spells instead of him? I think not. Same thing.

cheezewizz2000
2010-05-24, 02:17 AM
Solutions:

Have a "paw-shy" dog - one that REALLY doesn't like being touched.

Get ultra-defensive over your animal companion. You're a full caster druid with the terrifying power of the cosmos (thinly disguised as nature) at your command. Also, you're a bear/tiger/oscelot. Bring your fluffy, savage bulk and world-killing might to bear. As soon as that barbarian got out his skinnin' knife, he should have been inside a tree.

Edit: ah, ranger. Sorry. In that case, yeah, midnight revenge assassinations. Next time, let him ride it. Ride checks opposed to your handle animal skill. Carry the barbarian around the battlefield where YOU want him to be.

In the case of Druids hitting on your Paladin mount, play along. Have your mount like the druid better. It'll be fun role-play, keep her happy and allow you some passive-agressive fun. "No, I'm not summoning it for you. No you can't have it, it's mine". Then when you do summon it when you really need it, have it lick her or something. It'll be fun for both of you, and your friends will tell stories of your Paladin and the horse that didn't like you.

Case of the familiar? Less sure of that one. Ask your DM if your familiar can dimention door to you as a free action. He may allow it. Failing that, you're a wizard, liberally apply buffs to all party members except the monk, and have your cat "deliver touch range spells" when ever you cast them. Say it's not something that you can control and that you need the cat to be with you because you're the only one immune.

Edit: Carrying the cat makes buff spells from you ineffective, cosmic link between master and familiar, that sort of excuse. Why do harmful spells work? Magical co-evolution - Familiars can deliver touch spells from their masters because it's a powerful (super)natural defense.

On, and as for the dragon/velociraptor thing. Have the velociraptor like her more, similar to the Paladin Mount, but go all out squick. Ever try to stop the advances of an amorous velociraptor?

Sweet
2010-05-24, 02:17 AM
Warn the Sorceress that your dino companion is just that, a companion... not a tame beast... and it might bite her.

I've tried. Doesn't phase her Chaotic Neutral keister. For actually following through with that threat... well, I have trouble bringing myself to actually ever deal damage to another player's character. Which may be part of my problem.

Paladin's Horse is a Celestial Magical Beast... Speak with Animals won't work. :smallwink: Or, you have the Paladin's Horse (just as Lawful Good as said Paladin) lecture the Druid on her moral failings. :smallbiggrin:

I actually did try this for a while! But then the player gave me this really forlorn expression when I was challenging the integrity of her character, so I just hung my head and took the crazyness like a man. In the end, I think I only encouraged her.

Monk grabs a cat, cat scratch's Monk's hand/face. Not all cats are nice, cuddly creatures... in fact, most aren't, especially around strangers.

What alignment was your Ranger? A CG Ranger might abandon the Barbarian who ate his horse companion... a CN Ranger might put an arrow or two through said Barbarian in his sleep.

Same problem as with the sorceress and the dinosaur. My best hope with the cat and the monk was to try to pass a series of really unlikely grapple checks.

tuesdayscoming
2010-05-24, 02:19 AM
My word, it would be great fun to play a character who had had this sort of thing happen to them in the past. The potential for chaotic, paranoia driven mayhem is simply splendid.

That's a horrible coincidence for you, though. Not terribly fond of losing my furry companions. Obviously, a terrible conspiracy is at work against you.

kamikasei
2010-05-24, 02:24 AM
I've tried. Doesn't phase her Chaotic Neutral keister. For actually following through with that threat... well, I have trouble bringing myself to actually ever deal damage to another player's character. Which may be part of my problem.

Your unwillingness to engage in PvP is not the problem. Their willingness to behave badly towards you is. Tell them to stop.

Sweet
2010-05-24, 02:25 AM
Solutions:
On, and as for the dragon/velociraptor thing. Have the velociraptor like her more, similar to the Paladin Mount, but go all out squick. Ever try to stop the advances of an amorous velociraptor?

This... warrants some consideration. But what if her tolerance for squick is higher than mine? If I start a game of chicken and lose, couldn't it get that much worse?

EDIT- Er, I'd like to note that this thread was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. It is a weird coincidence that I always get razzed in this matter, but I'm not actually chagrined to the point of disliking the people I'm playing with.

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 02:29 AM
Is this the same ass player who does this? Because it sounds like it's just that the player is an ass.

Do you just attract asses? It seems like you just attract asses and that they've identified you as easily pushed around so they've decided to make a protracted joke of a tradition out of it, at least amongst the connected players.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-05-24, 02:30 AM
Make your pet take a dump in their shoe when you make camp. When everyone is getting up, inform them that when they put their boot on, they stick their foot into a big steaming pile at the bottom, and it gets all in between their toes and everything. That's the critter telling them to leave it alone, not you telling them.

cheezewizz2000
2010-05-24, 02:31 AM
This... warrants some consideration. But what if her tolerance for squick is higher than mine? If I start a game of chicken and lose, couldn't it get that much worse?

It depends on your tolerance. I would say that if you "do go through with it", then it'll be a funny RP story to tell afterwards. If you wouldn't want to do that, then take her to one side and ask her politely to stop trying to take your animal companion because it is ruining your enjoyment of the game.

I think my Paladin's mount suggestion would work well here too. Go along with it, have the velociraptor like her more. At the end of the day, it's your class feature and you can still use it in combat as normal, but have it perhaps go out of its way to defend her more often, and out of combat have it hang around with her more.

It'll make the game more fun for her, and you will get some RP enjoyment out of it as well.

Rising Phoenix
2010-05-24, 02:35 AM

EDIT- Er, I'd like to note that this thread was meant to be slightly tongue in cheek. It is a weird coincidence that I always get razzed in this matter, but I'm not actually chagrined to the point of disliking the people I'm playing with.

Start a lecture on how half-dragons come to be...Half-dragons/ gelatinous cubes in particular. Then ask her if she really wants to 'mess' with your 'dragon'?

Savannah
2010-05-24, 02:35 AM
Huh. I had that problem once and was shocked that it even happened; hopefully it's not common. I had a druid with a wolf companion and this one halfling party member kept trying to get me to let her ride my wolf. Could not seem to get it through the player's skull that it was a freakin' wolf, not a dog or a toy, and wolves generally don't go in for being ridden. (The DM was on my side, in fact he was playing the wolf.)

You might have your animal threaten whoever is trying to butt in on your relationship. I know in my case the player finally stopped after the wolf snarled at her each time she asked. (The wolf was, apparently, not just a wolf and understood a bit of common...but that's not the point, just go with whenever the sorceress comes too near or something.)

If that doesn't work, flat out tell her outside of the game that she's being a pain. The veloceraptor is your faithful friend and will never "switch sides", so she'd might as well knock it off because you are getting tired of it (if she says it's funny or something, tell her that it has happened to you repeatedly and you are tired of it). If she really wants her own, she can multiclass :smallbiggrin:

I'm going to disagree with the people telling you to just let the animal like someone else better. That rewards the other player for being a jerk by trying to steal your class feature.

cheezewizz2000
2010-05-24, 02:50 AM
I'm going to disagree with the people telling you to just let the animal like someone else better. That rewards the other player for being a jerk by trying to steal your class feature.

That is one way to look at it, but the way I see it is this: D&D is a game, and a game is all about having fun. One of the players wants to play with your toy. You can either obstinately refuse, which will strain the relationship between the players, or you can share. It is a class feature, and more to the point it is your class feature so you can do with it as you will, but it affects you personally in no way if you let the other player have their fun. Who knows, you might get some enjoyment out of it as well, and the DM might be kind enough to hand out some RPexp for your role-playing.

More importantly, the other players will get a kick out of it as well, and I'm sure they will continue to tell stories of how A) you're a really fun guy to roleplay with, and B) how awesome/funny it was that the Druid's animal companion liked the sorcerer better.

Ashram
2010-05-24, 02:52 AM
Remember that in all cases except for an animal companion, a familiar and a paladin's mount are typically summoned and can be dismissed (At will for familiar, certain times a day for mount). If you don't want people messing with your animals, dismiss them as you see fit.

Sweet
2010-05-24, 02:53 AM
@cheezewizz

*sigh* I think you're right. I think the easiest thing may be to bite the bullet once again. I have one level as a rogue, so at low levels I was fairly dependent on flanking with my animal companion. I'm getting to that level where I can stand on my own, so strategically, it makes a little bit of sense to have the animal companion running interference for the sorceress.

Rassa-frackin' dinosaur might actually start buying into all this "dragon" nonsense. Delusions of grandeur, I tell ya! Next thing you know she'll be digging through my pack, not for my spare rations, but for coin. Trying to make herself a little hoard to sleep on.

... but I'm drawing the line at letting her [EDIT- the sorceress] put anymore bows on the velociraptor. She's making her look like Birdo from Super Mario Bros 2.

cheezewizz2000
2010-05-24, 02:58 AM
@cheezewizz

*sigh* I think you're right. I think the easiest thing may be to bite the bullet once again. I have one level as a rogue, so at low levels I was fairly dependent on flanking with my animal companion. I'm getting to that level where I can stand on my own, so strategically, it makes a little bit of sense to have the animal companion running interference for the sorceress.

Rassa-frackin' dinosaur might actually start buying into all this "dragon" nonsense. Delusions of grandeur, I tell ya! Next thing you know she'll be digging through my pack, not for my spare rations, but for coin. Trying to make herself a little hoard to sleep on.

... but I'm drawing the line at letting her [EDIT- the sorceress] put anymore bows on the velociraptor. She's making her look like Birdo from Super Mario Bros 2.

Continue to set up flanks for yourself, but if things go south your velociraptor can save the day. Also, a velociraptor with delusions of grandeur is amazing.

"Guys, can you help me out?"
"What"
"Gordon..." *snarl from dinosaur* "Sorry, Thraxisillis the Terrible" *purr* "won't go to sleep unless it's on a pile of money. Can you just pile your magic items up here please"
"Seriously?"
"Look, it's either that, or we all stay awake while Thrax throws a hissy fit. Do you want that? I don't!"

Greenish
2010-05-24, 03:27 AM
Continue to set up flanks for yourself, but if things go south your velociraptor can save the day. Also, a velociraptor with delusions of grandeur is amazing.

"Guys, can you help me out?"
"What"
"Gordon..." *snarl from dinosaur* "Sorry, Thraxisillis the Terrible" *purr* "won't go to sleep unless it's on a pile of money. Can you just pile your magic items up here please"
"Seriously?"
"Look, it's either that, or we all stay awake while Thrax throws a hissy fit. Do you want that? I don't!"Really, (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DinosaursAreDragons) now. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SomewhereAPalaeontologistIsCrying)

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-24, 03:53 AM
@cheezewizz

I have to repeat the question from upthread: Do you attract asses? It also sound like you have a "Lousy DM" problem, or you have not made it clear to the DM how much you detest this (it should be obvious though).

To mess with a familiar / animal companion is equal to demanding that the fighter parts with his +2 family heirloom greatsword of doomidy doom; after all, "it likes you better".

At this point I would definitely have the raptor attack the sorceress, hopefully it has enough HP so that she will die and or learn a lesson before it is toast. Of course if it turns into a fight or she runs to you and complain, side with your companion! She should know better than to pet strange dogs dinos.

Pink
2010-05-24, 04:37 AM
I can't help but think an animal companion that attacks a PC (or even puts a poo in a shoe) isn't long for the world unless you have an ally of some sort on this matter. Especially with animal companions, there's no real penalty for losing one, you can get a new one right away. And PCs are afterall, very very violent.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 04:45 AM
I can't help but think an animal companion that attacks a PC (or even puts a poo in a shoe) isn't long for the world unless you have an ally of some sort on this matter. Especially with animal companions, there's no real penalty for losing one, you can get a new one right away. And PCs are afterall, very very violent.I agree, you'd better kill 'em all while they sleep.

Drascin
2010-05-24, 05:01 AM
That is one way to look at it, but the way I see it is this: D&D is a game, and a game is all about having fun. One of the players wants to play with your toy. You can either obstinately refuse, which will strain the relationship between the players, or you can share. It is a class feature, and more to the point it is your class feature so you can do with it as you will, but it affects you personally in no way if you let the other player have their fun. Who knows, you might get some enjoyment out of it as well, and the DM might be kind enough to hand out some RPexp for your role-playing.

More importantly, the other players will get a kick out of it as well, and I'm sure they will continue to tell stories of how A) you're a really fun guy to roleplay with, and B) how awesome/funny it was that the Druid's animal companion liked the sorcerer better.

Somehow, I doubt the kind of players that think trying to get other player's animal companion to "switch sides" and dislike its master, or plain taking their familiar away just because they want, or eating another character's animal companion for ****s and giggles, are funny, are the kind of people who will think of anyone as "fun to roleplay with" - except in the punching bag way. Mostly, it strikes me as a mark of serious selfishness. Not to mention more than a bit contrived - so wait, the Paladin and his steed have shared dozens of battles helping one another like true comrades in arms (and let's not forget Paladin horses are almost as smart as commoners), and suddenly this druid comes and talks to it every now and then, and because she's a druid the magical beast from Heaven has to like her better? Yeah, not seeing it.

Really, I'd suggest talking about it with your DM, about how you're starting to get tired of people making thinly velied attempts to wrestle your animal companions from you. That's what we DMs are here for, man.

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-24, 05:34 AM
Somehow, I doubt the kind of players that think trying to get other player's animal companion to "switch sides" and dislike its master, or plain taking their familiar away just because they want, or eating another character's animal companion for ****s and giggles, are funny, are the kind of people who will think of anyone as "fun to roleplay with" - except in the punching bag way. Mostly, it strikes me as a mark of serious selfishness. Not to mention more than a bit contrived - so wait, the Paladin and his steed have shared dozens of battles helping one another like true comrades in arms (and let's not forget Paladin horses are almost as smart as commoners), and suddenly this druid comes and talks to it every now and then, and because she's a druid the magical beast from Heaven has to like her better? Yeah, not seeing it.

Really, I'd suggest talking about it with your DM, about how you're starting to get tired of people making thinly velied attempts to wrestle your animal companions from you. That's what we DMs are here for, man.

Exactly; I missed this advice the first time but I definitely disagree with Cheezewizz2000's advice. These people are at best ignorant, rude and obstinate, and at worst extremely immature (the barbarian's player seems to be a very young boy, is that true?).
Anyway, "Having fun" is not the same thing as bullying another player for fun (which is what this about). The person being bullied should talk to the DM, and if that does not help he needs to get new friends, who, you know, actually are friendly.

Kaun
2010-05-24, 05:47 AM
I would wait till it was my watch then gut the sorceror in their sleep then let the raptor eat her.

Sends a message thats hard to deny.

Shinizak
2010-05-24, 06:04 AM
Have it play nice while you're around, maybe even pretending to like the other players as well. But when you're gone the rules change. Without it's friend to guide it, that velociraptor goes back to it's nature and FLIPS THE F--- OUT! That friendly sorceress suddenly looks like more of a meal then she did 5 minutes ago. that could actually be an RP point also, why keep a velociraptor around when you could have something much safer? maybe you're really a woodland knight of some kind. Maybe the velociraptor really is a dragon that has been feeble minded and had it's wings removed, but somehow you dull the enchantment.

Cespenar
2010-05-24, 06:19 AM
@OP: By any chance, are your "friends" fans of, or have ever played, Baldur's Gate 2?

Sliver
2010-05-24, 06:35 AM
Did you try saying, OOC, that you don't find this fun or amusing, and asking your DM to back you up on this, officially and using words, instead of him just looking at you and leaving you to handle this yourself?

If someone said "I eat his horse!" there is no way I would have accepted that. And if the DM would have been fine with it, I wouldn't think much of him...

If your pals want to have a companion, they need to get one themselves, and taking yours isn't getting one. Buy a cat or a horse. Get the wild companion feat, w/e.

If the monk wants you to share your toy, the cat, then he should share his toys. Cut off his arms and play with them for a while, see who wants to share then.

nedz
2010-05-24, 06:57 AM
Four seperate occasions!
It sounds to me like you have a reputation for being wound up over this.

The solution is to change the way you react.
Best solution is just to ignore it, and not play along.

When it happens just react in a bored way and move along to the next thing.

AstralFire
2010-05-24, 07:24 AM
I actually think that this sort of thing is great potential for roleplaying humor. But not when it is against what you want, OoCly. This happening so many times seems like it's being intentionally done to provoke a reaction, and they're either too dense to realize you're not enjoying playing the straightman to this zaniness, or they don't care.

You should not be modifying how you're playing to suit them. Tell them, up front, in as clear as terms as you can manage that it's not the type of thing you want to roleplay. Like, "if you don't quit it, I don't want to finish this session," if you have to.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-24, 08:35 AM
Dragon Mag has the monstrous Companion feat. Use it to get a grick, Howler, horrid abomination from the far realms and have it fall madly in love with the offending character. Have it cuddle them in a slimy tentacled embrace every time they fall asleep. :smallamused:

Better yet, play a Spell Sovereign. Now do the above, but with a living spell :smallbiggrin:

Either way, support your familiar's new found love.

cheezewizz2000
2010-05-24, 08:54 AM
*cheezewizz2000 is wrong*

All valid points and, if you really can't take it and it is ruining the game for you then asking them to stop/asking the DM to tell them to stop really is the best option.

But, then again, D&D is a game. Games are fun and, as Ralph Wiggum so wisely said, "fun things are fun". My suggestions were made in that spirit: vis a vis - trying to pull the most fun out of this scenario. Sure it makes absolutely no sense that your Celestial Warhorse would like the druid better after you had been though so many battles together as comrades-in-arms. Then again, by the sounds of things, the druid in that scenario was doing the D&D equivalent of slipping the Warhorse a sugar lump and a carrot and brushing its mane every now and then. Sure it's an intelligent creature from the Seven Mounting Heavens of Celestia, but then again it is also a horse. They neigh, and trot and like people who give them treats, no matter how good they are at differential calculus. The player can RP a horse that is better friends with the druid than with the player outside of battles, but is still the Paladin's stallwart companion and steed. Hell, that's the plot of basically every buddy movie.

Perhaps this is marred coming from the standpoint of someone who loudly and vehimently made self-depreciating jokes to diffuse bullying that I think the best way to avoid being bullied is to play *with* them rather than *against* them. It's not everybody's cup of tea, and it doesn't work for everybody. I just think that rather than resisting, no matter how passively, you should work with your friends to make the game the most fun it can be, and sometimes playing "their" way rather than "yours" can reveal things that were fun that you had never thought of. Perhaps modifying the way you play to suit them is a (as distinct from "the") way forward.

As I said, it's your class feature, and it's up to you what happens to it. Perhaps if someone else wants a go with the fighter's +2 ungodly sword of doom, the fighter should share. There's bound to be another magic sword kicking around in the party anyway, and the guy who is borrowing the sword will probably realise that it doesn't work so well for them anyway. It is a game after all, and rules of share and share-alike don't end after pre-school.

AstralFire
2010-05-24, 08:57 AM
I think it's a great opportunity for comedy, as I said, but if it keeps happening and he's still not enjoying it, he shouldn't make himself tolerate it any longer.

BlackSheep
2010-05-24, 09:17 AM
The <insert species here> ignores you.

The <insert species here> looks expectantly at its master.

The <insert species here> growls/hisses/snorts menacingly.

The <insert species here> disappears into the brush.
(You can still see/sense it because of your connection, but it is hidden from the others. It can come back later.)

Seriously, there's nothing that says your animal companion has to engage in conversation with or even be polite to your fellow party members.

As for the familiar thing, aren't Monks supposed to be lawful? Taking someone's spirit-bonded pet "just cuz" sounds like grounds for an alignment change, not to mention arcane retribution.

Seriously, stop being such a mush.

nedz
2010-05-24, 09:22 AM
It does sound like a form of mild bullying, and there are many solutions to that problem. You should probably try a few out to see which work best for you.

Prime32
2010-05-24, 09:30 AM
I wonder how they'd react to a psicrystal, which is part of the master's mind.

Narmoth
2010-05-24, 10:22 AM
Tell the concerned player that you feel entitled to their magical weapon and their class ability. When they start wording their confusion, explain that the animal is a part of the class, just like their class ability, and you will part with it even less than they will part with their magical weapon

Doubtfully. The CG ranger would most likely try the barbarian as well.

Shademan
2010-05-24, 10:30 AM
barbarian eating your horse: he has to die. blood for blood! the horse spirit demands vengance!

Monk stealing your cat: The cat is merely expanding his/her slavehold. after all, you humans are expected to serve the cat, in its own mind. Naturally, you are the head-slave, no one else is allowed to touch it. SCRRRRATCH!

druid talking to your divine horse: "Hi, I'm a druid" "sod off, heathen!"

and the whole velociraptor thing: It is a cold blooded servant of nature. only you, it's druid master, is held in high enough regard by it to NOT be turned into (long)porkchops. everyone else....well...

demidracolich
2010-05-24, 10:43 AM
if one of my friends try that I would use my "smack annoying player" power.:smallbiggrin:

Rhydeble
2010-05-24, 10:57 AM
I really don't know how to reply to this...

On one hand, you have the right to be pissed at these other epople that they are trying to steal your companions.
On the other hand, I find it hilarious.
I propose that this newfound "dragon" of yours wishes to sleep as a dragon should sleep, on treasure. And who else to bugger about his dragon-related needs then that wonderful sorceress that probably has a lot of treasure, there's nothing like guilt-tripping someone into giving all their money to your companion.

Arbane
2010-05-24, 11:23 AM
If this keeps happening, it's an OOC problem.

NEVER TRY TO SOLVE AN OOC PROBLEM IC. It almost never works and always makes everyone involved look like a jerk.

TALK TO THE PLAYERS. TALK TO THE GM. I cannot overemphasize this.

And if this is annoying enough to be a deal-breaker, remember the RPGnet Mantra: "No gaming is better than bad gaming."

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 11:34 AM
Make your Animal Friend something that can (and possibly will) kill anyone dumb enough to attack it, such as a Shadow Dragon Wyrmling familair or a Gold Dragon mount, or my personal fave, an Unraveler Elemental Companion

Anterean
2010-05-24, 12:09 PM

druid talking to your divine horse: "Hi, I'm a druid" "sod off, heathen!"

"This man, <insert character name>, is a devoted and valiant warrior of higher powers. But you... you have no commitment to the cause. Certainly you are better than those who strife the plunge the world into darkness, but have you devotion to actually combat them ? No you are but a sheep to be protected from the wolves"

I never play my paladins like this, but heh it could be fun to have his horse act like this

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-24, 12:18 PM
Once, in a D&D game I was playing in (instead of running, for once)... We were using the Greek Pantheon.

One of the characters (a ranger) was approached by an Owl. The Owl was not his Companion, but only there to deliver a message from Athena.

Two of the other players quickly took this up... you see, one followed Hermes, who demanded burnt offerings at a crossroads... the other followed (I think) Aphrodite, who demanded feathers as her offering.

So, they planned (only semi-seriously), to shoot the Owl when it started to fly away... since they were very near a crossroads at the time. They even (clearly joking now) asked the other party members if any of the Owl's body parts would satisfy any other god's worship requirements.

Once the horrified look on the Ranger's player's face faded as he realized they were just joking, he asked the DM to allow him to keep the Owl around (made Handle Animal checks, etc.).

Much to the DM's continued chagrin, the two players would occassionally say things like "hey, the Ranger's asleep... we can grab the Owl now!"

Nothing ever came of it, but I'd imagine that was the most nervous Owl you've ever seen. :smallbiggrin:

Escheton
2010-05-24, 12:48 PM
Make out and get it over with?
Sounds like elementary (school) behaviour.

Besides that, players, and characters mess with each other. It's a warped bonding dominance thing. Sucks being the nice guy. Suck it up, take it like a man and keep at it. Good on ya. Looks like you are.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 12:53 PM

Besides that, players, and characters mess with each other. It's a warped bonding dominance thing. Sucks being the nice guy. Suck it up, take it like a man and keep at it. Good on ya. Looks like you are.Squick. :smalleek:

Escheton
2010-05-24, 12:56 PM
I shoulda checked my message, why don't I ever check stuff?
Just read it as intended and keep in mind that the other is probably intended as well, just not nearly as much...

Optimystik
2010-05-24, 01:02 PM
I actually did try this for a while! But then the player gave me this really forlorn expression when I was challenging the integrity of her character, so I just hung my head and took the crazyness like a man. In the end, I think I only encouraged her.

It's not a matter of "trying it." Those are the rules. Speak With Animals does not affect paladin mounts.

If your group is willing to break the game rules to ruin your fun, you might want to have a long talk before you continue to play with them.

Loxagn
2010-05-24, 01:45 PM
I personally would have waited for the barbarian to go to sleep, then polymorph him into a rabbit.
The next morning, have yourself some delicious rabbit stew. Make a point of offering some to the party.

That, or feed him to a dragon. One of the two. If the player gripes, tell him that he may as well have killed and eaten another character's little sister. I don't care what he thinks his justification was, you don't do that. Period.

Have your wizard's cat cozy up to the monk. And then when he's all cuddly-wuddly with it, have it deliver something really nasty in the region of touch attacks. And then maul his face off.

The Paladin's mount is lawful good. The Druid is not. If she keeps bothering him, have him kick her in the face because he 'refuses to associate with a heathen temptress'.

The sorceress is easy enough to take care of. When she goes into a tirade on how the 'dragon' is being mistreated, promptly have it replicate this (http://www.dailyhaha.com/_pics/stop_saying_words_lion.jpg) image.

They will learn.

aivanther
2010-05-24, 03:21 PM

Same problem as with the sorceress and the dinosaur. My best hope with the cat and the monk was to try to pass a series of really unlikely grapple checks.

Uh, you seem to have some self defeating behaviors/thoughts here. You seem to think that other people's problem is yours. It's not. You don't want to deal with this crap, then don't. You aren't "taking the craziness like a man" but taking it like a doormat. Sorry to be harsh, but you seem to have allowed yourself to be taken advantage of at the whim of other people.

If you really want to deal with this, lay down the law. If you are unwilling to do that, IT WILL NOT STOP. The rule for relationships to be successful is that the dissatisfied one has to begin the change. Tell the other player that if they don't stop messing with you, you will cut their character's head off and feed it to the velociraptor. Or the druid that you are convinced that anyone trying to STEAL A GOD'S GIFT TO HIS SERVANT is clearly an evil act, and will get down and dirty if you have to.

Vaynor
2010-05-24, 03:38 PM

Even better. Monk steals cat and loses class features for committing an unlawful act. Cat then proceeds to beat up the monk (at this point, possibly quite easily).

A housecat might actually kill a monk at level 1.

Optimystik
2010-05-24, 04:03 PM
Even better. Monk steals cat and loses class features for committing an unlawful act.

Actually, monks never lose their class features for "falling." They can't advance further, but it's not like they forget all the kung-fu they already know.

Vaynor
2010-05-24, 04:22 PM
Actually, monks never lose their class features for "falling." They can't advance further, but it's not like they forget all the kung-fu they already know.

Bah, it's not like a monk could fend off a housecat even with all of his powers anyways. :smalltongue:

Sliver
2010-05-24, 05:00 PM

Hes better off losing everything he learned.

"I take his cat"
"You fall"
"On my feet?"
"It doesn't work like that"

In my head, everybody lols.

Cinnamonbunnies
2010-05-24, 05:14 PM

Besides that, players, and characters mess with each other. It's a warped bonding dominance thing. Sucks being the nice guy. Suck it up, take it like a man and keep at it. Good on ya. Looks like you are.

You take it like a man. Gah. Say you build roads, and I take your bulldozer. You feel like a big man now? Gee, sounds like elementary school behaviour, Escheton, how you'd mind someone taking your things. Doesn't sound like you're a man at all.

Then, it's all a game, of course! oh, how unimportant, as opposed to the great quest for monetary compensation, no?

(Well, I suppose you might need a bulldozer to build roads. To be honest, I haven't the clue.)

Maryring
2010-05-24, 05:56 PM
Next time you play a character like that, get the Celestial Familiar feat from BoED. Pick a Lantern Archon, Coure Eladrin or Musteval Guardinal companion. Not only are all three great RP companions, but they're also intelligent, good, loyal and honest creatures who would be happy to support you, would stick up for you and would quite clearly express to your party members just how much of a jerk they are being. All of em can speak common and they tend to be smarter than your average druid, barbarian and monk. The musteval have the added bonus of looking like a large mouse.

Sweet
2010-05-24, 08:14 PM
I've obviously made an epic fail at being humorous here. I tried to note in an earlier post that I was being tongue in cheek. That I thought the coincidence is funny, and in the OP I was playing the part of a schlemiel. But something has been lost in the text without inflection. Cheezewizz and a few others got it, I think.

... I will say, of all the people that got riled up, I'm only really creeped out by the ones that blamed/insulted the victim... which doesn't exist, not really. Not a lot of mercy for the comically hapless here. The events happened, my reaction in the OP was the thing that was not genuine.

Once again, epic fail at joke.

EDIT- Unless... are you guys having me on? :smallamused:

Hiest, monkey
2010-05-24, 09:19 PM
(I am aware the joke is over)

"OMG SQUEE can I have your pet kitty?"
"Ok, but I'll take your sneak attack."

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-24, 09:36 PM
EDIT- Unless... are you guys having me on? :smallamused:Children's card games D&D: Srs Bsns

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-25, 01:18 AM
I've obviously made an epic fail at being humorous here. I tried to note in an earlier post that I was being tongue in cheek.

The point is that, quite frankly, there are a lot of idiots out there. It's easy to be riled up about this because this is something that a lot of us could imagine happening. :smallsmile:

Shademan
2010-05-25, 03:21 AM
this is why we have this emoticon: :smalltongue:

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-25, 04:43 AM
Oh and to clarify, I meant potential players, out there in the world, not members on this board. :smallsmile:

Lix Lorn
2010-05-25, 05:21 AM
'Can I have your pet pleeez?'
'Tell you what: meet me behind the pub at midnight. I'll fix you up with a supplier.'

(ACF for Sorcerer: Animal companion.)
:smallwink:

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-25, 05:42 AM
I still say you should murder them.

Debihuman
2010-05-25, 08:59 AM
I swear to god, every time I play a druid, paladin, ranger, or a spellcaster with a familiar in D&D or (recently) Pathfinder, somebody tries to jack my critter. They just decide that they're entitled to swipe my furry/feathered/whatever friend. This goes beyond just wanting to roleplay with it.

Last time, it was a druid that thought my paladin mount should be hers. She kept casting "Speak with Animals" and demanding to talk with my mount. The DM would shrug and gesture at me. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for taking more unique opportunies to RP, but then the rest of the party would have to watch me be forced to play Mr. Ed for ten minutes and tell the druid that I was fine with the paladin (... which was my PC) and didn't really care to "switch teams." She was persistent. She would tell everyone that she thought she was making headway.

In the current group, the dragon blooded sorceress is trying to charm my druid's velociraptor animal companion. Because it is a "dragon" and she has more of a connection to it then I. She, like that druid from before, wishes to dictate how my companion and I interact. On a few occasions she's made the attempt in combat. I've been accused of keeping the velociraptor as a slave. I just... man, I don't know. I don't know what she wants from me. I'll tell her I'm splitting my share of treasure with my "dragon" partner. I don't have enough ranks in Diplomacy for this.

Other times include when I made the mistake of choosing a cat as my wizard's familiar; the monk... she just straight up took it. She took my familiar. Wouldn't give it back. Another time, as a ranger, I had a horse companion. I wouldn't let the barbarian ride it, so he ate it. Ate my damn horse. Damn barbarians. I should note that these are pretty much all different groups over the years, often with common players between them, but different offenders in almost every case. I'm beginning to suspect a conspiracy.

FML. I need to stop playing classes with animal friends. I'm never mistreating the creature, but this almost always happens anyways. This never happens to any other players that I know.

Just because the other player demands to speak to your animal companion, it doesn't mean that your animal companions want to speak back. They don't have to talk to her. They don't have to like her and they can tell her to go away and leave them alone or tell her to talk to the PC. They can tell her that they prefer to be your companion and if that doesn't suffice, they should start to get agitated with her.

You don't have to be mean, but you should play your animal companions as if they are loyal to you and only to you. If you are feeding them properly and taking care of them, that' s a good enough reason for them to be loyal to you.

Your animal companions don't have to like her and don't have to answer her nosy questions. They can tell her to mind her own business and ask her not to bother them any more. "Go away kid, you bother me" is an acceptable answer. '"I'm busy" "You talk to much" are also acceptable answers. "My master is the best and most wonderful, etc." You can wax poetic about how wonderful your PC via your animal companion like Puss-In-Boots tried to make his master's fortune.

Your animal companion can be just as nosy asking why the druid doesn't have her own animal, perhaps offer to find her one suitable if you wan to play nice. Remember what is suitable to the Animal Companion may not be what the player had in mind. Cat -- "I caught you this nice squirrel, rat, pigeon, etc. to be your companion; it's still mostly alive."

Horses are easier. Horses can be downright rude. They snort, they stamp their feet and they run away from things that annoy them.

"Excuse me, I must be going now." is always a useful answer for a getaway. You can bring in a myriad of excuses: "It's time for my bath, snack, rub-down, etc."

Of course, just because they can talk doesn't mean that the animal companion shouldn't get something. Horse, "if you want to talk, bring me an apple. No apple, no talk." It's a tad selfish but most animals have their own wants too.

Of course unless your animal is intelligent, you'll not be bringing much to the conversation. If your animal is intelligent, then ask "why" to most of her questions. Discuss things that are important to your animal -- food, the weather, looking for a mate...."

Speaking of mates, is the druid trying to talk to YOU via your animal companion? It could be a round-about way of doing that.

Good luck with this.

Bharg
2010-05-25, 09:23 AM

Err, do you always give up that fast? Be more consisten!

If some nappy druid tries to convert your celestial horse just tell it that it is allowed to do whatever needs to be done. If someone tried to steal your familiar which is vital to you as a wizard just kill him. If someone slayed and ate my horse I would be pissed and at least take him as mount until the group reaches the next stables or even avenge my horse (and eat him thereafter optionally).
There is no reason not to defend yourself if another character offends your character by deceiving him, stealing from him, slaying his pet, his lover, his new born son et cetera. If your velociraptor devours the group's halfling it was his own fault to anger it or at least not to remember you to feed it.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 09:26 AM
If your velociraptor devours the group's halfling it was his own fault to anger it or at least not to remember you to feed it.

And if your velociraptor devours the group's kender we hold an impromptu celebration around the campfire :smallwink:

Escheton
2010-05-25, 11:07 AM
Speaking of mates, is the druid trying to talk to YOU via your animal companion? It could be a round-about way of doing that.

that was kinda my point earlyer, though this is way better put

You take it like a man. Gah. Say you build roads, and I take your bulldozer. You feel like a big man now? Gee, sounds like elementary school behaviour, Escheton, how you'd mind someone taking your things. Doesn't sound like you're a man at all.

Then, it's all a game, of course! oh, how unimportant, as opposed to the great quest for monetary compensation, no?

(Well, I suppose you might need a bulldozer to build roads. To be honest, I haven't the clue.)

You don't need bulldozers to build roads. They are just bigger tools then your shovel because you need to do it fast. Got time? Bring a shovel tomorrow if you don't (want to)think that who took it did so with ill will. If they have no use for it and see how it impairs you they are likely to return it. But you keep shoveling like a man. And stay humble and meek. No matter how badass you might be.
The elementary school behaviour is a note on the quote mentioned above more then it is about wantonly taking stuff from people. Though even there it is a way to play with the introverted kid who just plays with his toy truck ignoring the rest. Be it somewhat mean and intrusive.

nedz
2010-05-25, 11:11 AM
I've obviously made an epic fail at being humorous here. I tried to note in an earlier post that I was being tongue in cheek. That I thought the coincidence is funny, and in the OP I was playing the part of a schlemiel. But something has been lost in the text without inflection. Cheezewizz and a few others got it, I think.

... I will say, of all the people that got riled up, I'm only really creeped out by the ones that blamed/insulted the victim... which doesn't exist, not really. Not a lot of mercy for the comically hapless here. The events happened, my reaction in the OP was the thing that was not genuine.

Once again, epic fail at joke.

EDIT- Unless... are you guys having me on? :smallamused:

I think you have fallen into Stockholm Syndrome.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 11:46 AM
You don't need bulldozers to build roads. They are just bigger tools then your shovel because you need to do it fast. Got time? Bring a shovel tomorrow if you don't (want to)think that who took it did so with ill will. If they have no use for it and see how it impairs you they are likely to return it. But you keep shoveling like a man. And stay humble and meek. No matter how badass you might be.
The elementary school behaviour is a note on the quote mentioned above more then it is about wantonly taking stuff from people. Though even there it is a way to play with the introverted kid who just plays with his toy truck ignoring the rest. Be it somewhat mean and intrusive.Being a doormat doesn't make you a man. It makes you a doormat. "Real men" (and women) stand up for what they believe is right; or at least, that's my view on things.

If you believe it's right to let others steal what is rightfully yours, and that it's okay for them to ruin your fun to supplement their own, then you have no right to complain when they do.

Bharg
2010-05-25, 11:47 AM
And if your velociraptor devours the group's kender we hold an impromptu celebration around the campfire :smallwink:
I don't get it. :smallbiggrin:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 11:51 AM
I don't get it. :smallbiggrin:Kender are the most annoying race in the multiverse. They're compulsive thieves and liars, and are incredibly destructive, to the point where the gods have forbidden them from learning magic of any kind.

But the overgod of Krynn (Dragonlance) favors them for some insane reason, so wiping them from the face of the world is forbidden.

Doesn't stop people from wanting them extinct, however (and is probably the only reason they haven't been made so).

Lix Lorn
2010-05-25, 11:54 AM
Are they canon? O_o

monkey3
2010-05-25, 11:58 AM
People are messing with you because they think it is fun to mess with you.

Make sure sure it is not fun to mess with with you, and go mess someone else.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 12:07 PM
Are they canon? O_o

They are part of the Dragonlance setting (and indeed, are the halfling/hobbit archetype of that setting.)

It's a WotC product, so I suppose that they are.

OracleofWuffing
2010-05-25, 12:08 PM
Play druid, get animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member...

Give it enough time, and either your DM will stop this thing, or your players will crush the world under badgers. Either way, everyone wins.:smalltongue:

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 12:09 PM
They are part of the Dragonlance setting (and indeed, are the halfling/hobbit archetype of that setting.)

It's a WotC product, so I suppose that they are.The writers made them, thinking they'd be cute comic relief.

I just want them dead.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-25, 12:14 PM
Play druid, get animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member, get new animal companion, give animal companion to another party member...

Give it enough time, and either your DM will stop this thing, or your players will crush the world under badgers. Either way, everyone wins.:smalltongue:

Just remember, when the animal stops being your Companion, it becomes a wild animal again, with all that entails... (i.e. it becomes the DM's problem! :smallbiggrin:)

HunterOfJello
2010-05-25, 12:38 PM
You need some more aggressive and better animal companions/familiars. If you were using an Imp or Hell Hound then people would probably leave the familiar alone. Also, using a crocodile that bites at players and goes straight into a grapple against them if they get too close would be very effective. (Lets see a low lvl sorcerer try to deal with a buffed up crocodile ripping apart their leg with it's jaws and then grappling them.)

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:41 PM
You need some more aggressive and better animal companions/familiars. If you were using an Imp or Hell Hound then people would probably leave the familiar alone. Also, using a crocodile that bites at players and goes straight into a grapple against them if they get too close would be very effective. (Lets see a low lvl sorcerer try to deal with a buffed up crocodile ripping apart their leg with it's jaws and then grappling them.)

hence why i suggested a Celestial Shadow Dragon.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-25, 12:44 PM

Can I (extended) sig that? XD

Cookiemobsta
2010-05-25, 12:44 PM
"I don't have enough ranks in Diplomacy for this." is now my favorite catchphrase for dealing with whiny customers, whiny bosses, annoying children, girl drama, and the question "Does this make me look fat?"

Cookiemobsta
2010-05-25, 12:49 PM
Also, in reply to the actual topic of this thread, I recommend passing the DM a note at the start of every game declaring that all of your animal companions are both incontinent and prone to excessive flatulence. Then when someone wants them, give them away cheerfully.
And refuse to take them back.

OracleofWuffing
2010-05-25, 12:52 PM
Can I (extended) sig that? XD
Of course.

But only if you take this badger off my hands. No, really, I insist! I could put you down for more if you wanted. :smallbiggrin:

Lix Lorn
2010-05-25, 12:54 PM
I'll take seven. 8D

Drascin
2010-05-25, 02:18 PM
Kender are the most annoying race in the multiverse. They're compulsive thieves and liars, and are incredibly destructive, to the point where the gods have forbidden them from learning magic of any kind.

But the overgod of Krynn (Dragonlance) favors them for some insane reason, so wiping them from the face of the world is forbidden.

Doesn't stop people from wanting them extinct, however (and is probably the only reason they haven't been made so).

Personally, I actually like them if not overused. They're more or less the only thing the Dragonlance world has to unpuff the humongous egos rolling around the setting :smallamused:.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 02:20 PM
As a druid, take Elemental Companion, and take an Unraveler (Planar Handbook). Let's see them touch your companion NOW! BWAHAHAHAHAH!

Asheram
2010-05-25, 02:30 PM

Now... Thinking about an evil druid... Was this how the "Cursed with Pig" flaw started?

Escheton
2010-05-26, 12:41 AM
Being a doormat doesn't make you a man. It makes you a doormat. "Real men" (and women) stand up for what they believe is right; or at least, that's my view on things.

If you believe it's right to let others steal what is rightfully yours, and that it's okay for them to ruin your fun to supplement their own, then you have no right to complain when they do.

then obviously you don't believe in pacifism.
Judging from the characterchoices and other information, I suspect the OP does.

also, there is a distinct difference between thinking it's ok to steal and giving someone the benefit of the doubt before you conclude it is indeed ill will and smiting their asses.

Endarire
2010-05-26, 12:57 AM
My solution: Play a Conjurer with Summon Elemental or a Druid with a fire elemental companion (Complete Mage). Summon fire elementals.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-26, 01:27 AM

also, there is a distinct difference between thinking it's ok to steal and giving someone the benefit of the doubt before you conclude it is indeed ill will and smiting their asses.Not jumping directly to violence is one thing, but if you don't make noise about it and just give in you're giving everyone free reign to do whatever they want to you.

They may be nothing more than minor annoyances, due to the fact that it's a game, but it's still ruining his fun at his expense. Those people, in their own ways, are bullying him, and that's not right, on any level. However, he's giving his permission by keeping quiet, even when they're ruining his enjoyment of the game.

It may be on a smaller scale, but it's the same principle: "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Roc Ness
2010-05-26, 06:49 AM
Hey. I just want to pop in and say: This thread made my day! :smallbiggrin:

Grifthin
2010-05-26, 07:16 AM
T-Rex. Lets see how they like being "played with" by a creature that size.

Lix Lorn
2010-05-26, 07:37 AM
'Hey master hey master can I play with the druid can I can I?'
'No! We don't have the time to recruit a replacement druid for the SECOND time...'

Maryring
2010-05-26, 09:17 AM

also, there is a distinct difference between thinking it's ok to steal and giving someone the benefit of the doubt before you conclude it is indeed ill will and smiting their asses.

Ghandi was an icon of pacifism. He was anything but silent though. Being a pacifist doesn't mean allowing bad stuff to happen.

RecklessFable
2010-05-26, 09:33 AM
trying to decipher this. Is the OPs main nemesis here a female player?

Are you really having trouble RPing a character tough enough to stand up to another PC or are you having trouble not wanting to piss off the chick?

Either way, making yourself the group's Omega just leads to frustration and depression.

DracoDei
2010-05-28, 10:02 AM
Just noticed that it was the OP that was revealed to be a joke as far as the players OOC feelings/motives etc.

For the edification of those reading this later, I will leave my comments based on my ORIGINAL assumptions below.
Pacifists have no place as D&D adventures, except MAYBE if they have Vow of Peace (which is probably a very bad feat). Whatever your RL views might or might not be, you should not play a pacifist in D&D. I agree that you must deal with this if it is annoying to you. Talk to the person IC, then if necessary the rest of the party IC, then if necessary OOC, then if necessary the GM. Your message to the GM (if it gets that far) should be "You have three options: You get the person to stop OOC, you play along (as in fudging dice rolls) with my characters attempts to kill and/or UTTERLY humiliate (as in strip naked, beat to half hit-points, and force to walk in front of you back to town to answer for his/her crimes) theres, or I am leaving your worthless group."

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-28, 10:55 AM
This thread has made me happy. I am a player prone to have animal companions or familiars of some variety. i find them enjoyable roleplay, though often useless combat wise past a certain level.

i realize the thread is largly a joke but here are my opinions of the matter.

OMG do this because I would so do this if anyone tried to steal my companion. And i was nearly on the floor laughing at the thought that maybe the other player WOULD have a higher squick tolerance than you and run with it. Even if she ran with it far beyond your level of squick tolerance, she would then be playing THAT character and everythime you guys encountered any kind of reptilian you could make horrible jokes."hey go seduce the draconic troll/oger, so we can sneak by. . . what? your into that right?" or "uh oh! kobold village, somebody put a leash on her or they'll arest us for public indecency."

In lieu of that this is something I worked out as an idea. The druid animal companion was actually the druid's spouse after a botched reincarnation and some pretty crappy feeblesminds. The druid was improving as a druid so it could eventualy be powerful enough to either fix said spouse, pay someone else to do it, or live out their days together as animals via wildshape.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-28, 11:03 AM
Hmm...

This topic has given me a strange thought. AA Mephlig wizard who summons a Mephit familiar, and later marries it! :smallbiggrin: