PDA

View Full Version : Some nice sandbox plot-twists

Balor01
2010-05-24, 02:35 AM
I am DM-ing a lvl-1 sandbox campaign and sort of a lack ideas regarding what interesting challenges would PCs meet. As an inspiration, I took a peek at some free lvl 1 adventures, which was rather illuminating, but ... some ideas/advice would be much welcome.

So, what races/events/dungeons/crazed nymphomanics should my party meet?

tnx

Lev
2010-05-24, 02:52 AM
I am DM-ing a lvl-1 sandbox campaign and sort of a lack ideas regarding what interesting challenges would PCs meet. As an inspiration, I took a peek at some free lvl 1 adventures, which was rather illuminating, but ... some ideas/advice would be much welcome.

So, what races/events/dungeons/crazed nymphomanics should my party meet?

tnx

Have them find a note from their future selves.

Balor01
2010-05-24, 03:16 AM
Have them find a note from their future selves.
I lold :smallbiggrin:

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-24, 03:20 AM
NPC sends group on a quest for the McGuffin. They bring back said McGuffin, are properly rewarded for it, then promptly backstabbed.

Malificus
2010-05-24, 03:26 AM
Burn down the town. With mundane arsonists they have a chance of catching in the act, and fires which can be contained through normal means with the party's help.

Have the arsonists be backed by [powerful NPC] from [place].

Ferrin
2010-05-24, 04:04 AM
Better yet, have the PC's arrive in a town with a LE mayor with ties to some gangs/cults/pirates/pact with a devil. When they arrive there's a riot going on with a crowd arround the mayors office. The guards ask the party to help disperse the crowd. Things can happen after that, struggles against a crime syndicate if they help the crowd. Or further contracts if they help the mayor.

If they leave for another town without helping either side let the town be burned down by the mayor who escaped with the gang/cult/pirates/devil. Then let the PC's take the blame for it.

Edit: Burning down the town may seem harsh but if the gang/cult/pirates/devil doesn't have a use for it anymore and can get away without blame, then why not?

magellan
2010-05-24, 04:33 AM
If you play sandbox, shouldnt the plot just kinda happen in the session, and all you come up with would be characters in conflict?

Ferrin
2010-05-24, 04:36 AM
Even when playing in a sandbox campaign you should have things prepared.

Balor01
2010-05-24, 05:32 AM
@Ferrin
I had an entire tribe stats, but pcs left the tribe. Not much of a problem, but it sort of a narrowed down the action on random encounters.

@magellan
Things are happening and it was only our first session. But as said, I much appreciate some additonal clues.

Ferrin
2010-05-24, 05:38 AM
Which is why that if you plan something, plan for every possible outcome. You could have easily guessed they'd leave the tribe. But why did they leave? They could be seen as traitors now and hunted down. Could be one evil shaman who makes people think bad of them even if they in the beginning did not. For example.

Tyrmatt
2010-05-24, 05:43 AM
An outlying farming community tied to City of X has apparently been overrun by a large amount of kobolds. The guard unit sent out to investigate and exterminate was wiped out with only the grizzled sergeant and a constable returning, reporting the kobolds to being much more intelligent than normal (actually under some kind of mind control or similar by the BBEG. I ran this originally as zombified undead being directed by the necromancer animating them, to devastating effect.)

The PCs are recruited by the sergeant to the militia to take back the village.

Ferrin
2010-05-24, 05:51 AM
An outlying farming community tied to City of X has apparently been overrun by a large amount of kobolds. The guard unit sent out to investigate and exterminate was wiped out with only the grizzled sergeant and a constable returning, reporting the kobolds to being much more intelligent than normal (actually under some kind of mind control or similar by the BBEG. I ran this originally as zombified undead being directed by the necromancer animating them, to devastating effect.)

The PCs are recruited by the sergeant to the militia to take back the village.

Kobold are as inteligent as humans, just so you know.

The PC's could just kill the sergeant and loot his stuff, none would be the wiser. After all, who would want to go on a suicide mission? An entire unit of guards was wiped out!