PDA

View Full Version : Ignore this thread its trash

Ormagoden
2010-05-24, 10:29 AM
Need a little help finding rules, feats, and suggestions.

Concept
A large wooden wagon rolls by you on the road. It's driven by a weathered and disfigured man dressed in a green leather long coat. His prominent features strike you as he snaps the reigns of the dusty old cart. Black hair streaked with gray barely conceal the eye patch that covers his left eye and the scar that radiates out from under it. The left sleeve of his jacket hangs loose at his side due to his missing arm. He is old and grizzled, perhaps approaching fifty winters.

Various weapons and equipment hang at his sides, A whip, A small crossbow, Alchemical bottles, and a hand axe. Most prominent and directly behind the man, his seat bears a rack for an absolutely titanic great axe. It is weathered and marred like the man before it, but its craftsmanship is masterwork, and it was probably forged by giants.

I'm in the process of creating a character for a home game.

A one eyed, one armed fighter who gained fame in his younger years as a giant slayer. Now his health in decline, he wants to make enough money to support his extended family in hard times before he passes on.

So far I have met with a few hiccups while designing him.

I created two custom flaws
1) One eye (Ranged attacks beyond 30ft are at -10)
2) One armed (You got one arm.)

Now where I run into trouble is finding rules on wielding a two handed weapon one handed. He also uses a large sized greataxe so taking monkey grip is what I'll have to do to facilitate that. Can he wield a large two handed weapon one handed with monkey grip?
(No jotunbrud suggestions please.)

Any other suggestions and comments for this character would really help.
I thought about giving him some ranger for favored enemy but I don't really think its needed.

Its a 4th level character with the following available numbers for stats

9, 10, 11, 15, 15, 17

Have at 'em

Edit: I forgot to mention i have 2500gp to work with...

Eldariel
2010-05-24, 11:42 AM
No such rules exist... Reducing handedness isn't something this game really does. Either write it into the One-Handed (make it a Trait instead of Flaw; allow you to accomplish some things you'd normally do with two hands one-handed, like wielding a two-handed weapon) or just refluff something.

Fiery Diamond
2010-05-24, 11:43 AM
What? When did you change the title? I was gonna point out that you had left out two syllables in the name! "One eyed, one armed, fighting giant beater"
needs two syllables before "beater" if you want it to match "One eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater."

That is all.

Ormagoden
2010-05-24, 11:50 AM
What? When did you change the title? I was gonna point out that you had left out two syllables in the name! "One eyed, one armed, fighting giant beater"
needs two syllables before "beater" if you want it to match "One eyed, one horned, flying purple people eater."

That is all.

I thought about it for a while but in the end

people who would get it seemed < people who wouldn't

So I didn't nit pick, but no responses for a bit made me change the title.

I hope I get some more suggestions too :smallbiggrin:

Telonius
2010-05-24, 12:13 PM
Some things that having only one arm or only one eye might do...

- No depth perception. This can make it difficult to judge how far away things are; penalties to Spot checks generally.
- Penalties to Search checks.
- Possible bonus vs. Gaze attacks
- Penalties on balance checks.
- Penalties on Climb checks.
- Penalties on checks made to avoid being noticed, disguise checks, etc.
- Penalties to Grapple checks
- Unable to use longbows, shortbows, etc.
- Penalties to some Perform checks.
- +2 to diplomacy checks vs. Pirates. -2 to diplomacy checks vs. Ninjas.
- Increased Hide checks vs. opponents named Kimble

Just in general, loss of a limb is a significant penalty to your character. It's worth two feats at least, IMO. (Also, you might want to put some backstory in as to why Regenerate isn't an option).

EDIT: Regarding the weapon ... you might want to look into Bastard Swords. With Exotic Weapon Proficiency and Monkey Grip, you can wield a Large b'sword one-handed.

The only other way I know of is Wield Oversized Weapon, from Complete Warrior. Major problem: It's an Epic feat and requires BAB 21 (as well as Monkey Grip).

lsfreak
2010-05-24, 12:34 PM
I refuse to give suggestions on how to pull off that exact concept, on the principal that Medium-sized greataxes wielded 2-handed are ridiculous enough :smalltongue:

But I will say that ToB pulls off one-handed fighting much better than anything else.

Ormagoden
2010-05-24, 12:55 PM
Sometimes I really love this forum... and sometimes I really don't.

Thanks anyhow all

/thread

The Glyphstone
2010-05-24, 01:10 PM
Sometimes I really love this forum... and sometimes I really don't.

Thanks anyhow all

/thread

And which is it this time?

Yorrin
2010-05-24, 03:26 PM
There is some precedent for 2h martial weapons that you can wield via class features being 1h after taking EWP. Dwarven Waraxe and Bastard Sword are both examples from Player's Handbook (read the text, not the table to see what I mean).

So by that logic, EWP: Greataxe would let you wield a greataxe one-handed.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-05-24, 03:33 PM
There is some precedent for 2h martial weapons that you can wield via class features being 1h after taking EWP. Dwarven Waraxe and Bastard Sword are both examples from Player's Handbook (read the text, not the table to see what I mean).

So by that logic, EWP: Greataxe would let you wield a greataxe one-handed.

Or, better yet, just reflavor a Dwarven Waraxe. You don't lose much at all, and it works nicely within the rules as written.

Telonius
2010-05-24, 04:07 PM
Or, better yet, just reflavor a Dwarven Waraxe. You don't lose much at all, and it works nicely within the rules as written.

Biggest. Dwarf. Evar.

Bladesong
2010-05-25, 06:40 AM
I may be on the wrong track here, but surely it would be worth him using one handed weapons only? You would have to really like your axe to stubornly continue to use it even after someone has eaten your arm.

Runestar
2010-05-25, 08:13 AM
The waterdeep splatbook has this feat which makes you give up the use of 1 hand in return for some minor bonuses. You need turn undead to take it, though I think the need to worship tyr could easily be waived.

Not sure about having only 1 eye. Must you actually suck up a penalty for it? Can't you just wear an eyepatch over one of your eyes and leave it at that? :smalltongue:

Bharg
2010-05-25, 08:20 AM
Need a little help finding rules, feats, and suggestions.

Concept
A large wooden wagon rolls by you on the road. It's driven by a weathered and disfigured man dressed in a green leather long coat. His prominent features strike you as he snaps the reigns of the dusty old cart. Black hair streaked with gray barely conceal the eye patch that covers his left eye and the scar that radiates out from under it. The left sleeve of his jacket hangs loose at his side due to his missing arm. He is old and grizzled, perhaps approaching fifty winters.

Various weapons and equipment hang at his sides, A whip, A small crossbow, Alchemical bottles, and a hand axe. Most prominent and directly behind the man, his seat bears a rack for an absolutely titanic great axe. It is weathered and marred like the man before it, but its craftsmanship is masterwork, and it was probably forged by giants.

I'm in the process of creating a character for a home game.

A one eyed, one armed fighter who gained fame in his younger years as a giant slayer. Now his health in decline, he wants to make enough money to support his extended family in hard times before he passes on.

So far I have met with a few hiccups while designing him.

I created two custom flaws
1) One eye (Ranged attacks beyond 30ft are at -10)
2) One armed (You got one arm.)

Now where I run into trouble is finding rules on wielding a two handed weapon one handed. He also uses a large sized greataxe so taking monkey grip is what I'll have to do to facilitate that. Can he wield a large two handed weapon one handed with monkey grip?

Any other suggestions and comments for this character would really help.
I thought about giving him some ranger for favored enemy but I don't really think its needed.

Its a 4th level character with the following available numbers for stats

9, 10, 11, 15, 15, 17

Have at 'em

Edit: I forgot to mention i have 2500gp to work with...

Is he old enough too receive those age modifier thingies?

Chiron0224
2010-05-25, 11:15 AM
maybe I'm the only one who sees this but isn't the fact that some of the weapons require two hands something the game designers did on purpose for this very situation? If you are going to make a flaw to represent on handed characters than the most obvious implication is that the character simply can't wield a great axe. That's what makes it a flaw to only have one arm. If I was DM I simply would not allow a one armed character to wield a greataxe, period. But then, I've been accused of being too strict(i.e. I use reason and common sense as opposed to letting the players do whatever utterly ridiculous thing they attempt).

Escheton
2010-05-25, 11:18 AM
Give him some totemist lvls. Wield one handed most of the time. Maybe take the einhander feat.
When things get ugly, sprout spectral gorillion arms and wield a greataxe and shield.

Or just cast the spell that does the same.

kamikasei
2010-05-25, 11:21 AM
I would say it's more about preventing you from getting the larger weapon die and the two-handed strength/power attack damage boosts while still using a shield or dual-wielding. If a character only has one hand to start with, and therefore can't dual-wield or get the 1.5*Str bonus or the double power attack multiplier, the larger base weapon damage is a minor boost. He effectively has all the disadvantages of wielding two-handed (not having the off-hand free) without most of the advantages.

nedz
2010-05-25, 11:24 AM
For one-eyed you should nab this rule from Cyclops (DR323) (also Crstal Keep)

Single Eye – receives a –2 penalty on ranged attacks, Search checks & Spot checks.

For one-armed
You might consider +2 Str, -2 Dex also; but this is very debatable.
Further you can only use one handed weapons.

Shademan
2010-05-25, 11:28 AM

which is a silly name anyways, since "Brud" means bride. If you're supposed to descend from Giants it should be named Jotunblod.
or just Giantblood(ed), sheez.

sorry, rambling without actually contributing.
well maybe except from suggesting you use a large or huge battleaxe. since it is ...TECHNICALLY... one handed