PDA

View Full Version : A noob question regarding Nightsticks.

Le-vante
2010-05-24, 10:32 AM
A quick one realy, I did a quick search and couldn't find a reason why they stack. I was thinking it was because they are using the Extra turning feat? But could someone give me a solid awnser pritty please?

demidracolich
2010-05-24, 10:36 AM
Not many No dms would ever allow them to stack unless the campaign was intended for cheese. If you want a non OP campaign, nightstick should never stack.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 10:36 AM
A quick one realy, I did a quick search and couldn't find a reason why they stack.Because nothing says they don't stack?

warmachine
2010-05-24, 10:40 AM
The description of Nightsticks, IIRC, does not state a bonus. Thus, bonus stacking rules do not apply. I believe it says something like "four more turn attempts". Even if it did provide a bonus, it's unnamed and unnamed bonuses stack, as explained here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking).

JeenLeen
2010-05-24, 10:43 AM
Their brokenness also comes because it does not say you have to hold the nightstick. You just have to possess the nightstick.

If Nightsticks were Use: held, you could only get a +4 at a time, which would limit their usefulness for Divine Metamagic: Persist. As it is, you can simply have a ton of them in your backpack, or possibly your bag of holding in your backpack, and have as many Turn Attempts as you can afford.

But, yes, as stated above, it is an untyped bonus and untyped bonuses stack.

gbprime
2010-05-24, 10:43 AM
A quick one realy, I did a quick search and couldn't find a reason why they stack.

The extra turning attempts are just that, the item description does not assign them a bonus type (like enchancement, circumstance, sacred, etc.). Therefore it's an "untyped" bonus, and untyped bonuses always stack.

demidracolich
2010-05-24, 10:45 AM
Though there is a good chance your dm will not let them stack if he/she is at all experienced.

gbprime
2010-05-24, 10:53 AM
Though there is a good chance your dm will not let them stack if he/she is at all experienced.

Or in fact allow Divine Metamagic at all. :smallamused:

Shhalahr Windrider
2010-05-24, 10:53 AM
The extra turning attempts are just that, the item description does not assign them a bonus type (like enchancement, circumstance, sacred, etc.). Therefore it's an "untyped" bonus, and untyped bonuses always stack.
But not untyped bonuses from the same source. Same magic item/spell/feat/whatever == same source.

And, hey, the same-source rule even applies for effects that aren’t strictly numerical bonuses. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/resources/systems/pennpaper/dnd35/soveliorsage/magicOverview.html#combining-magical-effects)

Curmudgeon
2010-05-24, 10:56 AM
Even if it did provide a bonus, it's unnamed and unnamed bonuses stack, as explained here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#stacking).
Unnamed bonuses from different sources stack. If two castings of the same spell are the same source (as the link explains), two Nightsticks are similarly the same source.

Your point about them not providing a bonus to any check is apt, however.

Because of their potential for abuse, as a DM I just require PCs to craft them themselves, because they're not readily available for purchase.

Le-vante
2010-05-24, 11:16 AM
Well looks like I hit a nerve with some of you! I assure you I'm not DMM'ing. I just rolled a c**p character. I read on this very fourm about nightsticks and a few post mentioned they stacked, so I asumed they did so. Well a turn feat for 7500gp is still worth it.

Optimystik
2010-05-24, 12:59 PM
Note that Nightsticks are rods, so any rules your group applies to rod use would apply to them.

Rules Compendium describes rods as "weapon-like items" for the purposes of drawing them from a backpack or other enclosure, but I couldn't find anything that states they actually need to be held to be used.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-24, 01:00 PM
Well looks like I hit a nerve with some of you! I assure you I'm not DMM'ing. I just rolled a c**p character. I read on this very fourm about nightsticks and a few post mentioned they stacked, so I asumed they did so. Well a turn feat for 7500gp is still worth it.

I don't believe you!

*points Le-vante* "he's DMMing!"

*opens fire*