PDA

View Full Version : Vampire PC #Ravenloft#

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 10:54 AM
Joining a ravenloft-themed campaign, where I plan to play the "Son of Strahd." I plan to talk to the DM to give me a modified Vampire template, but how should I go about a Vampire of this magnitude?

I plan for him to be more or less the Party's Face

PinkysBrain
2010-05-24, 11:14 AM
We had another thread about vampires recently :
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152875

In it this template was suggested :
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58213&highlight=revised+vampire+template

The problem with the basic vampire template and the basic revised template is that create spawn is so powerful and requires so much LA that not using it kinda gimps you. The only way to play vampires like this is with spawn really.

So I suggested splitting off Create Spawn into a +2 LA Salient Special Attacks, making the basic template +1 LA, and using it with the Undead Hunger variant rule from Libris Mortis (vampires should suck blood IMO).

As for how to go about playing a vampire of that magnitude. You are obviously but a pale reflection of your father in power and he only has eyes for his obsession so you won't really have any special bond. He's your creator, little more.

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 11:22 AM
We had another thread about vampires recently :
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152875

In it this template was suggested :
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58213&highlight=revised+vampire+template

The problem with the basic vampire template and the basic revised template is that create spawn is so powerful and requires so much LA that not using it kinda gimps you. The only way to play vampires like this is with spawn really.

So I suggested splitting off Create Spawn into a +2 LA Salient Special Attacks, making the basic template +1 LA, and using it with the Undead Hunger variant rule from Libris Mortis (vampires should suck blood IMO).

As for how to go about playing a vampire of that magnitude. You are obviously but a pale reflection of your father in power and he only has eyes for his obsession so you won't really have any special bond. He's your creator, little more.

I actually was gonna have my DM drop the Spawn bit, along with the whole Sun/Building/Moving Water/Holy Symbols weaknesses (considering he's a pureblood son of two vampires)

Window459
2010-05-24, 11:25 AM
you could always use the half vampire template, its only +2 lvl adj, some cool vampire powers, and free improved initiative.

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 11:27 AM
you could always use the half vampire template, its only +2 lvl adj, some cool vampire powers, and free improved initiative.

But it lacks the fluff of being a Purebred Vampire. plus, no Undead...

Window459
2010-05-24, 11:37 AM
But it lacks the fluff of being a Purebred Vampire. plus, no Undead...

you could bluff them into thinking you are, one of my buddy's did that numerous to enemy npc/ allies, it was kinda funny to say the least, really scares a cleric to crapping themselves when you they try to turn you and can't

Greenish
2010-05-24, 11:40 AM
I actually was gonna have my DM drop the Spawn bit, along with the whole Sun/Building/Moving Water/Holy Symbols weaknesses (considering he's a pureblood son of two vampires)Uhm, do you want to sparkle, too, while you're at it?

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 11:41 AM
you could bluff them into thinking you are, one of my buddy's did that numerous to enemy npc/ allies, it was kinda funny to say the least, really scares a cleric to crapping themselves when you they try to turn you and can't

But he's the Son of Strahd... I thought he'd be a purebred vampyre? I mean, Halfblood is cool and all, but racially, I'd be a slippery slope into some twisted form of Lawful

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 11:42 AM
Uhm, do you want to sparkle, too, while you're at it?

Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie. Twilight is a lie.

Twilight made vampires a weakling without a sense of manhood

Greenish
2010-05-24, 11:55 AM
Twilight made vampires a weakling without a sense of manhoodAnd you want to be the "purebred" son of the main antagonist of the setting and have all the powers of a vampire with none of the weaknesses (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue).

Did you really think this through?

Boci
2010-05-24, 12:00 PM
Reflavoured necropolitant template? (Incase you're wondering, yes, this is my automatic response to anyone who wants to be a vampire in D&D).

Kish
2010-05-24, 12:19 PM
But he's the Son of Strahd... I thought he'd be a purebred vampyre? I mean, Halfblood is cool and all, but racially, I'd be a slippery slope into some twisted form of Lawful
Vampyre=/=vampire in D&D.

Vampires can't reproduce sexually. It kind of goes with BEING WALKING CORPSES. If the DM house-ruled that out, "Male vampires can still produce live sperm somehow" would be less of a stretch than, "A female vampire can bear a child to term," but either would be way more of a stretch than I'd ever do.

(I am now half expecting someone to produce an ill-conceived but entirely official D&D sourcebook subtitled Everything You Really Didn't Want To Know About Undead Reproduction And Were Too Afraid To Ask But We're Telling You Anyway.)

Boci
2010-05-24, 12:23 PM
(I am now half expecting someone to produce an ill-conceived but entirely official D&D sourcebook subtitled Everything You Really Didn't Want To Know About Undead Reproduction And Were Too Afraid To Ask But We're Telling You Anyway.)

I believe it is called Libris Mortis, book of bad latin, although Book of Erotic Fantasy did have some brief references to the subject as well.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 12:25 PM
Vampyre=/=vampire in D&D.Wait, what? Is "vampyre" something other than a vampire who can't spell? :smallconfused:

Kish
2010-05-24, 01:17 PM
In 2ed, a vampyre was actually a creature that can be best described as "What if vampires were living creatures." They have most of the same features as vampires, but no supernatural traits. They look like extremely attractive humans, which they use to lure their human prey into vulnerable positions. They're stronger than most humans, but no stronger than can be accounted for by their muscle. They're nocturnal and dislike sunlight, but it doesn't burn them. Their saliva has a tranquilizing effect on anyone they bite.

I don't know if they got converted in any form to later editions.

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 01:46 PM
I've used either/or as synonyms to the same term. However, doing my (rather demented) research into Vampirism, if a pair of vampires concieved, a 1 in 50000000 chance, the child would exibit the perfected traits of a vampire. That said, this figure is skewed based on age, power, and nationality of the vampires in question.

Greenish
2010-05-24, 01:48 PM
the child would exibit the perfected traits of a vampire.Dislike of garlic is a trait of vampires. How does a perfect dislike of garlic work?

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 01:53 PM
Dislike of garlic is a trait of vampires. How does a perfect dislike of garlic work?

Closer to a resistance than a "weakness"

Tankadin
2010-05-24, 01:54 PM
Dislike of garlic is a trait of vampires. How does a perfect dislike of garlic work?

Preemptively firebombing the whole of Italy.

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 01:57 PM
Preemptively firebombing the whole of Italy.

huh? I must've missed that there boat...

wizuriel
2010-05-24, 01:58 PM
In the Ravenloft monster manual they have different types of vampires. iirc one of the strains of vampires was considered half alive right after feeding. In one of my games I had a vampire like that create half vampires by feeding on prisoners while mating with them to create half breeds (pretty useful to have non undead that can stand sunlight in a vampires army)

Machiavellian
2010-05-24, 02:04 PM
In the Ravenloft monster manual they have different types of vampires. iirc one of the strains of vampires was considered half alive right after feeding. In one of my games I had a vampire like that create half vampires by feeding on prisoners while mating with them to create half breeds (pretty useful to have non undead that can stand sunlight in a vampires army)

cool... Almost precisely what I was looking for

Flickerdart
2010-05-24, 02:10 PM
How can you be "half alive"? You're either alive (above -10 HP) or dead (Dead condition) or unliving (undead, construct).