PDA

View Full Version : Psycristal Feats

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 11:53 AM
Hi

i was wondering about good feats to take with a psycristal, assuming manifester level 20...nothing game-breaking (so i could use it in a regular-powered campaing), just feats that could be handy....

1.- in a regular psycristal (improving its potencial, durability, etc)
2.- combat feats to use with metamorphosis

thank u very much guys

Greenish
2010-05-24, 12:00 PM
Power Attack!

balistafreak
2010-05-24, 12:06 PM
Leadership and associated feats. Because while one cohort is good, two is better!

Alternatively, add in Improved Psicrystal (I think) for the infinitely high level infinite cohorts trick, but that's only if you want to break the game.

On a more serious note, I once ran a character with two cohorts by way of Psicrystal Leadership. Keep them simple and relatively one dimensional and it's actually quite fun.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 12:07 PM
yeah, but the psycristal´s strengh is 1 XD
power attack needs 13

...unless you could take it anyway and only use it while transformed

Prime32
2010-05-24, 12:13 PM
I have a handbook for this. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.msg243600#msg243600) Well, a section of a handbook.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 12:13 PM
Leadership and associated feats. Because while one cohort is good, two is better!

Alternatively, add in Improved Psicrystal (I think) for the infinitely high level infinite cohorts trick, but that's only if you want to break the game.

On a more serious note, I once ran a character with two cohorts by way of Psicrystal Leadership. Keep them simple and relatively one dimensional and it's actually quite fun.

thats cool, but I dont want more characters to play...in fact, got my hands full with the psion´s transformations and the astral constructs forms

I just want to improve my psycristal

Prime32
2010-05-24, 12:23 PM
I just want to improve my psycristalImproved Psicrystal still helps with that.

Improved Psicrystal [Psionic]
You can upgrade your psicrystal.
Prerequisites: Psicrystal Affinity
Benefit: You can implant another personality fragment in your psicrystal. You gain the benefits of both psicrystal personalities. Your psicrystal’s personality adjusts and becomes a blend between all implanted personality fragments. From now on, when determining the abilities of your psicrystal, treat your manifester level as one higher than your normal manifester level.
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time, you implant a new personality fragment in your psicrystal, from which you derive the noted benefits, and you treat your level as one higher for the purpose of determining your psicrystal’s abilities.
Every time you take this feat, your psicrystal gains an extra HD, improving its BAB and possibly granting it an extra feat or increasing its ability scores.

See The Big Guy is With Me (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19866674/The_big_guy_is_with_me_%28psicrystal_build%29).

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 12:25 PM
I have a handbook for this. (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7414.msg243600#msg243600) Well, a section of a handbook.

some nice ideas there buddy
maybe taking psionic feats...

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-24, 12:25 PM
Improved Toughness * several. Layer it in Explosive Runes. Use it as a grenade.
:smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2010-05-24, 01:05 PM
Improved Toughness * several. Layer it in Explosive Runes. Use it as a grenade.
:smallbiggrin:You can't take Improved Toughness multiple times. And it has half your hp anyway. If you want to use it as a grenade, Hyperconscious has the 9th-level power detonate psicrystal.

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-24, 01:23 PM
No Imp. Toughness? What about the toughness line from Sword and Blood? (dwarven tougness, Giant toughness, Dragon toughness etc)? They each give a static amount of HP, just like regular toughness. Would those work?

Prime32
2010-05-24, 01:30 PM
Just use vigor + share pain.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 03:26 PM
....and psycristal´s feats that improve in any way the master abilities? you know, just by being there

im taking the cristal mainly for the share pain + vigor combo, the telepathic speech, and channel power...so, there are feats that improve my egoist performance just by being in my pocket? (that way the crystal is more or less safe)..

...or maybe feats that give the psycristal handy out-of-combat abilities..like scouting abilities

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-24, 03:45 PM
....and psycristal´s feats that improve in any way the master abilities? you know, just by being there

im taking the cristal mainly for the share pain + vigor combo, the telepathic speech, and channel power...so, there are feats that improve my egoist performance just by being in my pocket? (that way the crystal is more or less safe)..

...or maybe feats that give the psycristal handy out-of-combat abilities..like scouting abilitiesMounted Combat (with ranks in Ride, taken by the psion, of course) will grant you a 1/round attempt to boost your AC. Hidden Talent gives the master free access to a level 1 psionic power. Using metamorphosis (and making a psychoactive skin of proteus for it to use) and using your psicrystal as a mount can improve your egoist's mobility, space (and indirectly, reach), and gives you more potential actions during a round (as it can move you around, then you can use your swift, standard, and move actions for other things). Anything that improves your psicrystal's maneuverability will improve yours, if you grab dimension swap. Anything that buffs another character (see: Thicket of Blades and White Raven Tactics) will improve your egoist, whether directly or indirectly, and anything that debuffs another will assist you in killing it.

You can also give it metapsionic feats, and Hidden Talent with psionic feats, which you can then feat leech out.

Optimystik
2010-05-24, 03:54 PM
You can also give it metapsionic feats, and Hidden Talent with psionic feats, which you can then feat leech out.

Wow, I can't believe I didn't think of that. Your psicrystal becomes a feat battery! Ardents just got even more dangerous.

I love psionics :smallbiggrin:

Scipio
2010-05-24, 04:39 PM

Am I missing something here? How does a psicrystal get feats?

To the OP:

Psicrystal Containment is a great feat, since it allows you to spend more than one focus in a round.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-24, 04:40 PM
Am I missing something here? How does a psicrystal get feats?

To the OP:

Psicrystal Containment is a great feat, since it allows you to spend more than one focus in a round.

They advance by HD and as such get a Feat every 3HD. I think.

Scipio
2010-05-24, 04:44 PM
They advance by HD and as such get a Feat every 3HD. I think.

A psicrystal's HD are equal to the master's HD in the same way a familiar is with a wizard. I don't see how this grants feats. Familiars do not get feats.

Jarian
2010-05-24, 04:48 PM
A psicrystal's HD are equal to the master's HD in the same way a familiar is with a wizard. I don't see how this grants feats. Familiars do not get feats.

Not quite.

A familiar is a normal animal that gains new powers and becomes a magical beast when summoned to service by a sorcerer or wizard. It retains the appearance, Hit Dice, base attack bonus, base save bonuses, skills, and feats of the normal animal it once was...

For the purpose of effects related to number of Hit Dice, use the master’s character level or the familiar’s normal HD total, whichever is higher.

A psicrystal just out and out advances with hit dice.

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-24, 04:48 PM

Then I've officially forgotten why.

Scipio
2010-05-24, 04:51 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, so I will post a new one.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 05:27 PM

so, i could take overchannel, talented, psionic meditation, plus metapsionic feats with the psicrystal and simply leech them with the power? wow

that way i could shift from melee gish to blaster, assuming i take empower, quicken and the like...

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-24, 06:43 PM
Oooh... hoo hoo hoooo...

I always wondered if Feat Leech was a waste of a power. I stand corrected. Man, what isn't a psicrystal good for?

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-24, 09:10 PM
Oooh... hoo hoo hoooo...

I always wondered if Feat Leech was a waste of a power. I stand corrected. Man, what isn't a psicrystal good for?I only have one thing to say...

THRALLHERD.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-24, 11:33 PM
too much brokeness @_@

XD

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-26, 03:55 PM
do psicrystals improves its abilities every 4 levels? or they just get the inteligence improvement

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 04:04 PM
do psicrystals improves its abilities every 4 levels? or they just get the inteligence improvement

Which abilities and which levels are you referring to?

Kobold-Bard
2010-05-26, 04:05 PM
Which abilities and which levels are you referring to?

I guess the Stat bonus you get every 4HD. I would say yes, but I'm usually wrong.

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 04:10 PM
I guess the Stat bonus you get every 4HD. I would say yes, but I'm usually wrong.

Kind of depends what he's referring to.

Psi-crystals gain abilities as stated in the Psi-crystal entry for there manifester levels, they gain Hit Dice equal to there levels in the Psion and wilder classes, and as such the number of feats they know because of HD. Any levels that do not improve manifester level do not improve the abilities a psi-crystals has.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-26, 04:17 PM
yeah, i mean stat bonus every 4 hd like others creatures...or they just improve its intelligence?

Flickerdart
2010-05-26, 04:36 PM
If they get HD, they get everything that comes with HD, including ability boosts. You can't have one without the other.

Mugiwara Luffy
2010-05-26, 04:41 PM
I was just wondering if the ruling about its intelligence boost could mean that´s their only boost...and be an exception (just like the HP or saves) to the normal rules

Yuki Akuma
2010-05-26, 05:14 PM
It doesn't say it's an exception, so it isn't an exception.

Levels in War Hulk don't replace your ability score increases every 4 HD either.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-26, 06:23 PM
Also, I'm fairly sure the 'only counting levels in psion and wilder' is a holdover from 3.0, just like the blurbs regarding psionic PrCs not advancing psicrystals is also a mistake, though I can't prove it 100%. After all, the original source (Psicrystal Affinity) says that all levels in psionic classes (this includes PrCs) advance the psicrystal, and original source is original. Otherwise, the feat would be quite useless for psychic warriors, ardents, lurks, psychic rogues, and so on.