PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Let's Play NationBuilder

Redrat2k6
2010-05-24, 04:38 PM
I am running a E8 Campaign. Once Characters stop leveling the game is designed to have the characters expand their power by social networking and accumulation of land and serfs.

I have a few questions.

Ruling out Tippyverse Shenanigans and infinite loops,
-Where does a Kings wealth come from?
-How much ore does the average Mine produce, for how long, and how much wealth is gained by it. (Lets say Yearly or Monthly)
-How much does lumber cost or a sawmill yield? In gold or wood.
-How much grain/livestock do farms produce per acre? How much wealth does this accrue?

Is there a web page or a book that I could look through that already has the answers to these questions?

The PC's will be the leaders of nations soon and I want to be able to give them appropriate wealth based on the land and natural resources they own.

Any help would be great!

Coidzor
2010-05-24, 04:44 PM
There's two things, there's the king's revenue from taxes and there's his actual royal lands.

For Lords, part/most of their revenue is from the food they take as their share from the serfs in taxes.

Shademan
2010-05-24, 04:58 PM
you might want to have a look at the third party book "empire" for D&D.
It is quite helpful

molten_dragon
2010-05-24, 06:44 PM
You might also want to check out the Pathfinder adventure path "Kingmaker". It has rules for building and running a country from the ground up and so far they're working pretty well. They're kind of simple though, since they are meant to be used as an addition to a standard adventuring campaign and not instead of one. If you're interested in checking them out, the rules are written out in part 2/6 of the adventure path called "Rivers Run Red".

Alvrick
2010-05-24, 08:05 PM
alright, from every populated area in the kingdom, a king will get a yearly tax of about 15 GP per person. Considering that's 15 GP from about 30,000 people in quite small kingdoms, the amount of gold gathers remarkably fast

here, take a look at this (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Dungeonomicon_(DnD_Other)/Economicon)

Redrat2k6
2010-05-24, 11:01 PM
Wow thanks guys, this all really helps.

I had no idea where to start really. :smallsmile:

Alvrick
2010-05-24, 11:09 PM
If I might ask; what kind of kingdom are these guys getting?

Redrat2k6
2010-05-24, 11:27 PM
If I might ask; what kind of kingdom are these guys getting?

Think of the book Dune, Except in D&D with a Victorian Setting and technology. Also the strongest of men are only level 8.

That's what they are getting.

Man I totally want to make a Mentat like character now.

Alvrick
2010-05-24, 11:35 PM
oh wow, that's pretty cool. I implore you, put a lost civilization under the sands, and possibly freedom fighting rebels. they'll make for incredible story lines and some awesome battles if your players aren't too into the roleplaying aspect. Also, some courtly intrigue never hurt anybody, and it's to be expected if they just got titles and land