PDA

View Full Version : Favorite quotes

tcrudisi
2010-05-24, 06:25 PM
What are your favorite quotes?

Mine: Life is a sexually transmitted disease that's 100% fatal.

RandomNPC
2010-05-24, 06:47 PM
first of OP you stole one of mine, but thats ok i stole it from someone else here.

There are times when fate calls forth a people and demands an action, now is the time, we are the people, this is our action! Charge!

The very young and the very old know best the songs the angels sing.

It was probably a lousy spell in the first place.

Was that it?

all from M:tG flavor text.

Cobalt
2010-05-24, 06:53 PM
A bunch of quotes I have on my Youtube page, a few of which are from xkcd:

"The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on." - Robert Bloch

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils." - Louis Hector Berlioz

"It's true that we don't know what we've got until we lose it, but it's also true that we don't know what we've been missing until it arrives."

"There are no stupid questions, just stupid people."

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car." (lol)

"What are the three words guaranteed to humiliate men everywhere?
'Hold my purse.'

"Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?"

"Constantly choosing the lesser of two evils is still choosing evil. - Jerry Garcia"

"The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."

"It's easy to regret your awkward conversations, but hard to regret the ones you don't have." - xkcd

"It's easier to be an ******* to words than to other people." - xkcd

"Things are rarely crazy enough to work, but they're freqeuntly just crazy enough to fail hilariously." - xkcd

"If you want peace, understand war." - Sir Basil Liddell Hart

"Fools say that they learn by experience. I prefer to profit by others' experience." - Otto Von Bismark

Szilard
2010-05-24, 07:06 PM
We have a blind date with destiny, and it looks like she ordered the lobster. -Mystery Men

arguskos
2010-05-24, 07:08 PM
Lyrics from a beautiful song, Reduce It To A Kiss (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMe5CoTJSiE&feature=related) by The Unseen Guest:

And though I'm tired of the chase
Take a marathon and squeeze it to a hundred meter race
Cause I know if it's you I'm gonna miss
Reduce it to a kiss, reduce it to a kiss.

Have another set of lyrics from another song by The Unseen Guest, this one called Place Your Bets (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akXOr0itU3k&feature=related):

You pay your money and jump off that cliff
With a bungee cord tied to your hip
Place your bets on your weakest link
The more you struggle the faster you sink

Some more quotes I really like, some good, some funny, some wise:

One day, you catch yourself wishing the person you had loved had never existed, that you'd be spared your pain.
-Ras al'Ghul

Morituri Nomulus Mori - We, Whom Are About To Die, Don't Want To
-Unknown

I live my life without compromise. I step into the shadow without fear or regret.
-Rorschach

Seatbelts: some complex ****!
-George Carlin

"If there is anything I have learned in my travels across the Planes, it is that many things may change the nature of a man. Whether regret, or love, or revenge or fear - whatever you believe can change the nature of a man, can. I’ve seen belief move cities, make men stave off death, and turn an evil hag's heart half-circle. This entire Fortress has been constructed from belief. Belief damned a woman, whose heart clung to the hope that another loved her when he did not. Once, it made a man seek immortality and achieve it. And it has made a posturing spirit think it is something more than a part of me."
-The Nameless One

The Watchman
2010-05-24, 07:08 PM
For one, see my signature. For the rest:

"All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."
REALLY? AS IF IT WERE SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.
"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little-"
YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
"So we can believe the big ones?"
YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.
"They're not the same at all!"
YOU THINK SO? said Death. THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET... AND YET YOU HUMANS ACT AS IF THERE WAS SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE WORLD BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
"Yes, but people have got to believe that, otherwise what's the point-"
MY POINT EXACTLY.
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Terry Pratchett, Reaper Man

"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?"
Death thought about it. CATS, he said eventually, CATS ARE NICE.
- Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"Some of the dream-sages wrote gorgeously of the wonders beyond the irrepassable gate, but others told of horror and disappointment. I knew not which to believe, yet longed more and more to cross forever into the unknown land; for doubt and secrecy are the lure of lures, and no new horror can be more terrible than the daily torture of the commonplace."
-H.P. Lovecraft, "Ex Oblivione"

"Well, there goes paradise."
- Leonard McCoy, Star Trek

"Beware, I live."
- Sinistar

"Look again at that dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it everyone you love, everyone you know, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever was, lived out their lives. The aggregate of our joy and suffering, thousands of confident religions, ideologies, and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilization, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every mother and father, hopeful child, inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every 'superstar,' every 'supreme leader,' every saint and sinner in the history of our species lived there - on a mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam."
- Carl Sagan

Zocelot
2010-05-24, 08:26 PM
Taken from my facebook page:

The key to a relationship is constructive critisism. You have to show her you're smart enough to solve her problems. - XKCD

It's okay to be a kleptomaniac. I'm sure you can take something for it.

What fun is it being cool if you can't wear a sombrero? -Hobbes (From Calvin and Hobbes)

A witty saying proves nothing - Voltaire

Weezer
2010-05-24, 08:33 PM
I have a bit of a...problem with quotes. I find ones I like everywhere, here are a few of my recent finds that I love:

If you're not willing to take a few risks for your convictions what use are you? -Donaldson

Logic is a way of saying that what didn't happen today won't happen tomorrow. -Heinlein

I mean who would notice yet another mad man around here. -Blackadder

The power to destroy something is total power over that thing. -Herbert

The instinct for order and the impulse towards chaos are both necessary, without order nothing exists and without chaos nothing grows. And yet the struggle between them sheds more blood than any war. -Donaldson

truemane
2010-05-24, 08:41 PM
"We have lingered in chambers by the sea
By sea-girls wreathed in seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us
And we drown."
-T.S.Eliot

"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell someone you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

"If we don't succeed we run the risk of failure." - G.W. Bush

"When you dream, sometimes you remember. When you wake, you always forget." - Neil Gaiman

That's all I can pull off the top of my head.

Vaynor
2010-05-24, 08:50 PM
“This I believe: That the free, exploring mind of the individual human is the most valuable thing in the world.
And this I would fight for: the freedom of the mind to take any direction it wishes, undirected.
And this I must fight against: any idea, religion, or government which limits or destroys the individual.”
John Steinbeck

"Outside a book, a dog is man's best friend. Inside a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx

"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."
Groucho Marx

"Behind every great man is a great woman, and behind her is his wife."
Groucho Marx

"Although it is generally known, I think it's about time to announce that I was born at a very early age."
Groucho Marx

"Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana."
Groucho Marx

"Either this man is dead or my watch has stopped."
Groucho Marx

"You cut up a thing that's alive and beautiful to find out how it's alive and why it's beautiful, and before you know it, it's neither of those things, and you're standing there with blood on your face and tears in your sight and only the terrible ache of guilt to show for it.”
Clive Barker

I like Groucho Marx...

RandomNPC
2010-05-24, 08:52 PM
"Being in power is like being a lady. If you have to tell someone you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

you know, I've been wondering who that came from. Depending on who I'm talking to and how deeply I plan to insult them, I've found you can plug just about any two things into that quote. "Being a good person is like being smart..." being my favorite, 'cause I've got a co-worker who claims to be both of them.

also: "It's curtains for you doctor, lacy, gently wafting curtains."

Zocelot
2010-05-24, 09:07 PM
Here are some more that I found funny.

The four elements, like man alone, are weak. But together they form the strong fifth element: Boron. - The Gamers 2

He who stumbles around in darkness with a stick is blind. But he who... sticks out in darkness... is... fluorescent! - The Gamers 2

Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire - A shirt I saw somewhere

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-24, 09:32 PM
Ninjas can't catch you if you're on fire - A shirt I saw somewhere
That based on Dr. McNinja.
http://drmcninja.com/archives/comic/4p15
There.

Morituri Nomulus Mori - We, Whom Are About To Die, Don't Want To
-Unknown
and That's a Rincewind quote: from the Last Hero, by Terry Pratchett.

My personal favourite quotes:

Cogito Ergo Vicco
-me

I know that I believe in nothing, but it is my nothing
-Faster, by the Manic Street Preachers.

Szilard
2010-05-24, 09:45 PM
Many years ago the great British explorer George Mallory, who was to die on Mount Everest, was asked why did he want to climb it. He said, "Because it is there." --JFK

Along with most of the "We will go to the moon" speech at Rice University.

Icewalker
2010-05-24, 09:54 PM
I have a whole archive of my quotes of the week in my sig. To cherry pick a few of my favorites:

" 'would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?'
'That depends a good deal on where you want to get to,' said the Cat.
'I don't much care where-' said Alice
'Then it doesn't matter which way you go,' said the Cat."
-Alice and The Cheshire Cat, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland.

"There are five things which are dangerous in generals: those who are ready to die can be killed; those who are intent on living can be captured; those who are quick to anger can be shamed; those who are puritanical can be disgraced; those who love people can be troubled. These five things are flaws in generals, disasters for military operations."
-Sun Tzu, The Art of War

"Sometimes I think that the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us." — Calvin, Calvin and Hobbes

"Liberty? Why it doesn't exist. There is no liberty in this world, just gilded cages."
-Aldous Huxley

"Here's something to think about: How come you never see a headline like
`Psychic Wins Lottery.'" - Comedian Jay Leno

"If in a country there are the following ten evils: rites, music, odes, history, virtue, moral culture, filial piety, brotherly duty, integrity and sophistry, the ruler cannot make the people fight and dismemberment is inevitable."
商君書 (The Book of Lord Shang), 商鞅

"Some would say I've foolishly unleashed the floodgates but then they would fail to notice me surfing on top of the deluge, laughing like a lunatic."
-Vulion, right here on GitP

“Though we strike at you from the shadows, do not think that we lack the courage to stand in the light.”
-Zeratul, Starcraft

"In order to attain the impossible one must attempt the absurd."
-Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

"It has always been the prerogative of children and half-wits to point out that the emperor has no clothes. But the half-wit remains a half-wit, and the emperor remains an emperor."
-Dream, from Neil Gaiman's Sandman

"What is the difference between a taxidermist and a tax collector? The taxidermist takes only your skin."
-Mark Twain

I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.
-Bene Gesserit litany against fear, Dune

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no effect on society."
-Mark Twain

"When a romantic tries to do a good thing and fails they give him a medal. When a pragmatist succeeds, they wish him in hell."
-Donatti, Quitters, Inc by Stephen King

"We must be careful about what we pretend to be."
-Kurt Vonnegut

"All men by nature desire to know."
Aristotle, Metaphysics

"Society corrupts the best of us. It is a little unfair, I think, to criticize a person for not sharing the enlightenment of a later epoch, but it is also profoundly saddening that such prejudices were so extremely pervasive. The question raises nagging uncertainties about which of the conventional truths of our own age will be considered unforgivable bigotry by the next."
-Broca's Brain by Carl Sagan

"There will be sleeping enough in the grave."
-Benjamin Franklin

Player_Zero
2010-05-24, 09:57 PM
Megatron must be stopped, no matter the cost.

arguskos
2010-05-24, 09:58 PM
and That's a Rincewind quote: from the Last Hero, by Terry Pratchett.
Well crap. :smallannoyed: Thanks for the source though.

Tavar
2010-05-24, 10:10 PM
From my sig:
He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
-The General, Series by David Drake and S.M. Stirling.

Other good ones
"What this country needs is a short, victorious war to stem the tide of revolution"
-V.K. Plehve, Russian minister of the interior on the eve of the Russo-Japanese War(1903)

"The belief in the possibility of a short decisive war appears to be one of the most ancient and dangerous of human illusions"
-Robert Lynd, 1879-1949

"What is a drop of rain, compared to the storm? What is a thought, compared to a mind? Our unity is full of wonder, which your tiny individualism cannot even conceive."
-The Many

"Mistrust is the tyranny of the individual. Your own kind sees you as a threat. Why do you murder our unity? No matter. The line is drawn. You will cease to be. It is just a question of who will bring your end. Us, or you."
-The Many

Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Why me?", then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up."
-- Charlie Brown

"That's not to say I disparage the religious impulse. I think the impulse is a critical part of the wonder and awe that human beings feel. What I am against is organised religion of the sort which persecutes people who don't believe. I'm against religious intolerance."
Philip Pullman, on his Dark Materials Trilogy

Just Plain Funny

"When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would I was explaining to him what he should do when Wormtongue stabs him in the back—like sort of the air’s escaping out of you. And he says, “Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?” And I said, “Um, no.” And he says “Well, I have, and I know what to do.”"
-Peter Jackson

Sometimes I lie awake at night and I ask, "Why me?", then a voice answers "Nothing personal, your name just happened to come up."
-- Charlie Brown

Some people are like slinkies. They're not really good for anything, but you can't help but smile when they fall down the stairs.

Sneak
2010-05-24, 10:58 PM
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."

-W. Somerset Maugham

Zexion
2010-05-24, 11:26 PM
"Make something idiotproof, and someone will invent a better idiot."
-Someone

"Because apparently Japan won't stop until they've beaten us at everything we're good at. Next up: school shootings. Damn you Japan! That one was ours!"
-Michael Swaim

ScottishDragon
2010-05-25, 12:38 AM
My all time favorite quote is by Julius Cesar:Veni Vidi ViciYou should all know what that means
Stuff I found on the internet:
A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.Napoleon Bonaparte
My favorites are Cesar and Gandhi
An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind:Mohandas Gandhi

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-25, 01:02 AM
"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want."
-Calvin, Calvin & Hobbes

"To be forgotten is worse than death."
-Freya, FF IX

"Anything is possible? Try slamming a revolving door."
-Unknown

"I'll be your dipping sauce bitch."
-Wallace Wells, Scott Pilgrim

Zevox
2010-05-25, 01:15 AM
"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage, Mythbusters (Always a fun one to hear.)

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

Hm, I actually have a link among my bookmarks to a page full of Thomas Jefferson quotes, many (but not all) of which I like, but too many are politically or religiously charged to use here or link to the page. So, scanning it for the ones I can post...

"We are not afraid to follow truth wherever it may lead, nor to tolerate any error so long as reason is left free to combat it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

And, of course, the couple in my signature.

Oh, and for the hell of it:
"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further. Oh wait, another alteration, didn't pray hard enough." - Doctor Insano, Kickassia

"Your superconductor electromagnetism is nothing compared to SCIENCE!"
"But it is science!"
"Well I'm sciencier!" - Doctor Insano and Nostalgia Critic, Kickassia

Zevox

The_Snark
2010-05-25, 01:25 AM
From Yogi Berra:

"In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But in practice, there is."

"You should always go to other people's funerals, otherwise they won't come to yours."

"It's like deja-vu all over again."

"The future ain't what it used to be."

"A nickel ain't worth a dime anymore."

There are a lot of Yogi Berra quotes floating around there—I don't really know why the media latched onto so much of what he said... well, yes I do, it's because he's given to saying things that are either really pithy or really silly, possibly both, and people remember that when you're famous. We'll leave off with this one:

"I never said most of the things I said."
-Yogi Berra, catcher for the New York Yankees and master of Zen malapropism

Other people:

"A mathematician is a device for turning coffee into theorems."
-Paul Erdos

"I have nothing to declare except my genius."
-Oscar Wilde, to the U.S. Customs Office possibly apocryphal

"Wit is educated insolence."
-Aristotle

"I would have made a good Pope."
-Richard Nixon

"When choosing between two evils, I always like to try the one I've never tried before."
-Mae West

"Why don't you write books people can read?"
-Nora Joyce, to her husband James

potatocubed
2010-05-25, 01:35 AM
"Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up."

- C.S. Lewis

_Zoot_
2010-05-25, 01:58 AM
Ok these are from my facething page:

"Loyalty was a great thing, but no lieutenants should be forced to choose between their leader and a circus with elephants" - Good Omens

"I believe in the right of freedom of choice, you may do as I ask, or you may suffer." - My Dad

"He who can destroy a thing has the real control of it' -Dune

"It is sweet and right to die for the homeland, but it is sweeter to live for the homeland, and the sweetest to drink for it. Therefore, let us drink to the health of the homeland." - Horace

"The King's good servant, but God's first." - Saint Sir Thomas More

And then my harvest of quotes from this most fine site can be viewed below!

Toastkart
2010-05-25, 06:19 AM
“In case you hadn’t noticed, Chief, those are my teeth.” ~ Morte (Planescape: Torment)

“If a dragon falls in the forest and nobody gets to hear about it, does it make a thud?” ~ Brother Gilbert (Dragonheart)

“There is no fate that cannot be surmounted by scorn.” ~ Albert Camus (The Myth of Sisyphus)

“If you listen very closely, you can actually hear my skin crawling.” ~ Dr. Frasier Crane (Frasier)

“Overall, I’d rather be lying in a hammock with a couple a girls than be dead.” ~ Klinger (Mash)

“There is but one truly serious philosophical problem, and that is suicide. Judging whether life is or is not worth living amounts to answering the fundamental question of philosophy.” ~ Albert Camus (The Myth of Sisyphus).

HK-47: Conclusion: Such pheromone-driven responses never cease to decrease the charge in my capacitors and make me wish I could put a blaster pistol to my behavior core and pull the trigger.
(Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2)

“We have to remember that what we observe is not nature in itself but nature exposed to our method of questioning.” ~ Werner Heisenberg.

“Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they’re yours.” ~ Illusions (Richard Bach).

“There is but one infinite game.” ~ James P. Carse (Finite and Infinite Games)

“In this country we have rather lost faith in the wisdom of ordinary people, among whom my father was a shining example. And it is ordinary people, ultimately, who must make such decisions.” ~ Sir Terry Pratchett

“I believe among your people it is customary to shake hands. (beat)(laughs) Just a little Wraith humor.” ~ Todd (Stargate: Atlantis)

Devils_Advocate
2010-05-25, 08:22 AM
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and is widely regarded as a bad move."
- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

"You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right."
- xkcd

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

"Among Zen Buddhists it is said that, 'When you meet another bodhisattva on the road, greet him with neither words nor silence.' This leaves you with a vast selection of barnyard noises from which to choose."
- Principia Discordia

(Ike_Aran) Our health teacher told us that "1 out of 3 people who start smoking will eventually die." The other two apparently became immortal.
- bash.org

"It is an oft-repeated maxim that anything that existed when you were born is mundane and old-hat, anything that was invented in the first third of your life is exciting and novel, anything invented in the second third of your life is scary and incomprehensible, and anything invented in the last third of your life is an abomination of science run amok and is bent on corrupting our children, destroying civilization and -- Hey! Get off my lawn you kids!"
- TV tropes

"As president, I would solve all the world’s problems by creating a reality TV show where think tanks compete for the best solutions to everything from health care to energy policy to immigration. The judges would be experts who help viewers sort the squirrel **** from the caviar, but the final decisions would be made by viewers, just like on American Idol.

I think you can see many problems with this plan. But you have to compare it to the current political process where idiots elect liars to transfer wealth to crooks. How's that working out for you?"
- Scott Adams

"There's a broad class of goals that aren't suitable as the long-term meaning of life, because you can actually achieve them, and then you're done."
- Eliezer Yudkowsky

"Mice can see, but they can't understand seeing. You can understand seeing, and because of that, you can do things which mice cannot do. Take a moment to marvel at this, for it is indeed marvelous."
- Eliezer Yudkowsky again

"So, I think I've figured out what the most important thing in life is."
"Not being on fire?"
"Hey, I'm being serious here."
"So am I. Seriously, think about it. No matter what you want in this world, if I set you on fire, you'll want not to be on fire even more."
"... Yeah, that's better than what I had."

katans
2010-05-25, 08:26 AM
{Scrubbed}

Zen Monkey
2010-05-25, 08:27 AM
The heart has reasons of which reason can know nothing.
-Blaise Pascal

onthetown
2010-05-25, 08:31 AM
"If music be the food of love, play on." -Shakespeare

"Time is a great teacher, but unfortuantely it kills all its pupils." -Louis Hector Berlioz

"Sex is nobody's business but the three people involved." -Unknown but I love it :smallamused:

"Great minds think alike, but fools' rarely differ." -Unknown again, my mom used to say it to me when I would say the first part of it.

And my absolute favourite: "If Neelix ever had a clever thought, it died of loneliness." -sfdebris on Youtube; I think it was the review of Voyager's Threshold episode.

smellie_hippie
2010-05-25, 08:50 AM
"... and if I, show you my dark side
will you still hold me, tonight?
and if I, opened my heart to you
showed you my weak side
what would you do?"

-Pink Floyd, the final cut

Closak
2010-05-25, 08:50 AM
"Is this the pain you felt before? Allow me to give you yet another taste of that unforgetable agony! This time, you remember it"

"HOLY HELL DID YOU JUST KILL THAT GAY CLOWN!?"

"Don't call me that"
"Or else what?"
"If you do, i call you Raz"
"What?"
"Raz, as in short for Raspberry"
"..."
"Thought so"

rollfrenzy
2010-05-25, 09:35 AM
"I believe that there are two things that are infinite, The universe and human stupidity, and I am not sure about the universe" -Einstein

"Ours is not to question why, ours is but to do and die" -Tennyson

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, Is the inability of the human mind to correlate it's contents" -Lovecraft.

"All in all, I would rather be in Philadelphia" -Wilde

Apologies if there are minor misquotes here, I am working from memory.

The Watchman
2010-05-25, 10:49 AM
The full version of the Reaper Man quote:

LORD, WE KNOW THAT THERE IS NO GOOD ORDER EXCEPT THAT WHICH WE CREATE. THERE IS NO HOPE BUT US. THERE IS NO MERCY BUT US. THERE IS NO JUSTICE. THERE IS JUST US.
ALL THINGS THAT ARE, ARE OURS. BUT WE MUST CARE. FOR IF WE DO NOT CARE, WE DO NOT EXIST. IF WE DO NOT EXIST, THEN THERE IS NOTHING BUT BLIND OBLIVION.
AND EVEN OBLIVION MUST END ONE DAY. LORD, WILL YOU GRANT ME JUST A LITTLE TIME? FOR THE PROPER BALANCE OF THINGS. TO RETURN WHAT WAS GIVEN. FOR THE SAKE OF PRISONERS AND THE FLIGHT OF BIRDS.
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?
- Death, in Terry Pratchett's Reaper Man

The sun's shining now on these green fields of France
There's a breeze on the fields that makes the red poppies dance
The trenches have vanished long under the plow
No gas, no barbed wire, no guns firing now
But here in this graveyard, a still no-man's land
A thousand white crosses in mute witness stand
To man's blind indifference to his fellow man
Where a whole generation was butchered and damned
- "The Green Fields of France"

Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me
That with music loud and long
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Paradise.
- Samuel Taylor Coleridge, "Kubla Khan"

Cyrion
2010-05-25, 11:06 AM
One of mine was swiped earlier- Argue for your limitations, and, sure enough, they're yours.

From the same source-

Perspective. Use it or lose it. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world the master calls a butterfly.
-Richard Bach, Illusions

It will end with a single spell, cast by a gnome, with the verbal component of "Oops."
-Unknown on the boards

I took my demons by the hand, bent them, twisted them, until they scanned and rhymed.
-Marillion, Real Tears for Sale

PanNarrans
2010-05-25, 11:11 AM
Be kind, for everyone is fighting a great battle.
-Philo of Alexandria

Jack Squat
2010-05-25, 12:32 PM
A couple of my favorites:

"Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out of it alive." - Bugs Bunny (Also attributed to Elbert Hubbard, but I like thinking it's from Bugs)

"The greatest scholars are not usually the wisest people." - Geoffrey Chaucer

"Transmuting lead into gold is possible, but it turns out you need a nuclear reactor, not buckets of pee." - Theo Gray

"The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair." - Douglas Adams

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society." - Mark Twain

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert A. Heinlein

T-O-E
2010-05-25, 01:20 PM
"It took me a thousand lifetimes to realize I only needed one." -Vecna

Not sure where this is from as I just heard it from some guy online. He might have made it up himself.

The Watchman
2010-05-25, 01:31 PM
"None of you seem to understand. I'm not locked in here with you. You're locked in here with me!"
- Rorschach, Watchmen

ninjalemur
2010-05-25, 02:32 PM
Cowards die many times before their death, the valiant never taste of death but once.-William Shakespeare

And I'm just going to post a link to a page containing the genius of Douglas Adams (http://www.quotationspage.com/quotes/Douglas_Adams)

comicshorse
2010-05-25, 07:35 PM
" I know every day is a gift but why does it always have to be socks ?"
Tony Soprano

The Watchman
2010-05-25, 07:52 PM
"I'll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when
there's evidence of any thinking going on inside it."
- Terry Pratchett

"My dream holiday would be a) a ticket to Amsterdam b) immunity from
prosecution and c) a baseball bat."
- Terry Pratchett

"I mean, I wouldn't pay more than a couple of quid to see me, and I'm me."
- Terry Pratchett

"I staggered into a Manchester bar late one night on a tour and the waitress
said "You look as if you need a Screaming Orgasm". At the time this was the
last thing on my mind..."
- Terry Pratchett

"That seems to point up a significant difference between Europeans and
Americans. A European says: 'I can't understand this, what's wrong with
me?' An American says: 'I can't understand this, what's wrong with him?'"
- Terry Pratchett (I agree with this, and I'm American)

"Fantasy is an exercise bicycle for the mind. It might not take you anywhere, but it tones up the muscles that can. Of course, I could be wrong."
- Terry Pratchett

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett

"The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."
- Terry Pratchett

"The truth may be out there, but lies are inside your head."
- Terry Pratchett, Hogfather

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it's not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

“Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are marvelous. They cause marvels.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are enchanting. They weave enchantment.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Elves are bad.”
- Terry Pratchett, Lords and Ladies

"Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove."
- Terry Pratchett

"Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate."
- Terry Pratchett, Feet of Clay

"Bishops move diagonally. That's why they often turn up where the kings don't expect them to be."
- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

"Seeing, contrary to popular wisdom, isn't believing. It's where belief stops, because it isn't needed any more."
- Terry Pratchett, Pyramids

"No. Men should die for lies. But the truth is too precious to die for."
- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods

MeatShield#236
2010-05-25, 09:36 PM
"If the only part you can play is the fool, then you might as well play it with all your heart." -Unknown

"Because he's the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not the hero.He's a silent guardian, watchful protector.The Dark Knight." - The Dark Knight

"Last one alive please turn out the light." -Children of Men

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2010-05-25, 09:47 PM
"By the way, while you were talking, I stopped crime. Like, all of it."
-Superman to Batman, College Humour.

Vaynor
2010-05-26, 01:07 AM
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."

-W. Somerset Maugham
white text

arguskos
2010-05-26, 01:15 AM
And my absolute favourite: "If Neelix ever had a clever thought, it died of loneliness." -sfdebris on Youtube; I think it was the review of Voyager's Threshold episode.
THIS IS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER READ EVER. :smallbiggrin:

Also, I'd like to quote an entire song, but I won't quote the lyrics (as I refuse to do so with this one song). Instead, I will link you to the song itself: ta-da! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rK0LWsEcSjM) It's the first song in the video, and is basically the most beautiful thing I have ever heard in my life.

Griever
2010-05-26, 01:44 AM
"Teach the ignorant as much as you can; society is culpable in not providing instruction for all and it most answer for the night which it produces. If the soul is left in darkness, sins will be committed. The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness."

- Monsieur Bienvenu, Les Miserables

"Man is guilty of all the good he did not do."

- Voltaire

Ravens_cry
2010-05-26, 02:07 AM
TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET YOU ACT, LIKE THERE WAS SOME SORT OF RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
Death

The Watchman
2010-05-26, 07:14 AM
TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET YOU ACT, LIKE THERE WAS SOME SORT OF RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.
Death

I posted this already. Nice to know I'm not the only Pratchett fan here.

KuReshtin
2010-05-26, 07:22 AM
If the truth can be told so as to be understood, it will be believed. - The Shamen

AkazilliaDeNaro
2010-05-26, 08:22 AM
"Build a man a fire keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life"
-anonymos-

"Man who catch fly with chopsticks can accomplish anything"
-Mr. Miyagi-

Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.
-Tyler Durden-

"The key to strategy...is not to choose a path to victory, but to choose so that all paths lead to a victory."
— Cavilo, The Vor Game

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools."
—Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

and plenty of demotivational posters/quotes from despair.com (http://www.despair.com/viewall.html)

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 09:39 AM
"I would if I could but I can't so I won't." ~ Ionno, me maybe.

"Curiosity killed the cat... But satisfaction brought it back!" ~ Anonymous

"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity." ~ Napoleon? Think I'm quoting it wrong.

"The land where large, fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors." ~ Cake, 'Racecar YaYas".

"You better hope they find intelligent life up there in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth." ~ Monty Python, 'The Galaxy Song'

Can't remember the actual Latin, but "I came, I had a shag, I went home." ~ graffiti in Pompeii.

"In the beginning, there was nothing. And then it exploded." ~ Ionno.

...dammit, I know there's more good ones I like...

Oh, sort of: Upon my asking whether my mark included the penalty for handing it in late, my history lecturer replied "Oh, don't be silly! That's just an empty threat to get you motivated!"

paddyfool
2010-05-26, 10:11 AM
"Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity." ~ Napoleon? Think I'm quoting it wrong.

Actually, it's this: "Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." Robert J. Hanlon

Another favourite of mine that hasn't been mentioned yet: “The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.” Elie Wiesel.

KuReshtin
2010-05-26, 10:17 AM
"Build a man a fire keep him warm for a night. Light a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life"
-anonymos-

"Give a man a fish, and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish, and he'll sit in a boat all day drinking beer." - unknown.

"The land where large, fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors." ~ Cake, 'Racecar YaYas".

Hey! i have big fuzzy dice that will probably be placed in my car eventually. Fuzzy D20s.

Serpentine
2010-05-26, 10:21 AM
And every time you look at them, you'll be thinking "testicles".

KnightDisciple
2010-05-26, 10:58 AM
"Do not let us mistake necessary evils for good."

"Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say 'infinitely' when you mean 'very'; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite."

"Even in literature and art, no man who bothers about originality will ever be original: whereas if you simply try to tell the truth (without caring twopence how often it has been told before) you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it."

"Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another: What! You too? I thought I was the only one."

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."

"Five senses; an incurably abstract intellect; a haphazardly selective memory; a set of preconceptions and assumptions so numerous that I can never examine more than minority of them - never become conscious of them all. How much of total reality can such an apparatus let through?"

"Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket--safe, dark, motionless, airless--it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, impenetrable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art...It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."-C.S. Lewis.

The Watchman
2010-05-26, 11:14 AM
"You better hope they find intelligent life up there in space, cuz there's bugger all down here on Earth." ~ Monty Python, 'The Galaxy Song'

Actually, it's

And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger-all down here on Earth.

Sorry. When it comes to Python sketches, I'm a stickler for accuracy.

"In the beginning, there was nothing. And then it exploded." ~ Ionno.

"In the beginning, there was nothing, which exploded." That's Terry Pratchett as well.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-26, 02:41 PM
I posted this already. Nice to know I'm not the only Pratchett fan here.

Aw dang, and I worked my clicking finger to the bone getting it to smallcap.
Well, here's another.
Same book too.

THE SUN WOULD NOT HAVE RISEN.
A MERE BALL OF FLAMING GAS WOULD HAVE ILLUMINATED THE WORLD.

Force
2010-05-26, 02:47 PM
"Think where mans glory most begins and ends, and say my glory was I had such friends." -William Butler Yeats

The Watchman
2010-05-26, 03:01 PM
Aw dang, and I worked my clicking finger to the bone getting it to smallcap.
Well, here's another.
Same book too.

The quote is much more powerful in context, so here's a slightly longer version. For those who haven't read the book, Susan has just rescued the Hogfather, their world's equivalent of Santa Claus, from destruction at the hands of the villains. Now she's talking to Death.

"Thank you," said Susan. "Now... tell me..."
WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF YOU HADN'T SAVED HIM?
"Yes! The sun would have risen just the same, yes?"
NO.
"Oh, come on. You can't expect me to believe that. It's an astronomical fact."
She turned on him.
"It's been a long night, Grandfather! I'm tired and I need a bath! I don't need silliness!"
"Really? Then what would have happened, pray?"
They walked in silence for a moment.
"Ah," said Susan dully. "Trickery with words. I would have thought you'd have been more literal-minded than that."
I AM NOTHING IF NOT LITERAL-MINDED. TRICKERY WITH WORDS IS WHERE HUMANS LIVE.

I consider this Pratchett's best-written scene ever, personally, as it segues into another quote that I posted, and another of my favorites, and another...

hamishspence
2010-05-26, 03:22 PM
There's some good non-Discworld Pratchett quotes out there too.

Nation:

It was a strange, chilling thought, dancing across his mind like a white thread against the - terrible red background. It went on: He can think like you. You must think like him.

But if I think like him, he wins, he thought back.

And his new thought replied: Why? To think like him is not to be him! The hunter learns the ways of the hog, but he is not bacon. He learns the way of the weather, but he is not a cloud. And when the venomous beast charges at him, he remembers who is the hunter, and who the hunted!

Elm11
2010-05-27, 07:56 AM
"Here we bloody well are, and here we'll bloody well stay!"
Australian commander during the fall of Greece, before his last stand.

"Why? Why do I see so many of my friends, my familiy, my fellow country go to their deaths in the name of a war that isn't their own and a man who calls himself "Fuhrer"

Erwin Rommel

"Now I have become death, destroyer of worlds"

US scientist upon the successful testing of the first atomic bomb.

Serpentine
2010-05-27, 08:01 AM
"Don't be stupid, they couldn't hit the side of a barn from that dis-" - Can't remember who it was (American Civil War general?), and I know it's not quite right, but it's my favourite "famous last words" :smallbiggrin:

Anuan
2010-05-27, 08:17 AM
I think it was 'couldn't hit an elephant.' Hurray, Horrible Histories :smallbiggrin:

Serpentine
2010-05-27, 08:20 AM
Horrible Histories!

do do do do do

Horrible Histories!

do do do do do

Horrible Histories!

do do do do do

Horrible Histories!

do do do do do

Horrible Histories!

do do do do do

Worst. Theme song. Ever.

Anuan
2010-05-27, 08:22 AM
I only ever saw a few episodes of that terrible cartoon.

The books were awesome.

Serpentine
2010-05-27, 08:23 AM
Yeah, the books are pretty great.

Darth Stabber
2010-05-27, 08:43 AM
"The very existence of flamethrowers proved that someone, at some time said: you know, I would like to set that person over there on fire, but I am just not close enough to get the job done"
-George Carlin

"Practice save lunch, use a condiment"
-sign in a restraunt

{"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds."

"Statement: Just when I believe my photoreceptors have recorded the last potential aspect of your cruelty to my memory core, you commit a new atrocity that leaves me analyzing its impact for days."

"Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere."

"Statement: I have already learned a great deal, master, and I am anxious to learn more of lying, betrayal, and new ways to harm innocents." }
-HK-47

"Do you want to know who you are? Don't ask. Act! Action will delineate and define you.
-Thomas Jefferson

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 10:00 AM
"Love is a homeless guy searching for treasure in the park and finding a bag of gold coins, then slowly realizing they're made of chocolate, and, even though he's heartbroken, he can't really complain, 'cause he was hungry in the first place."
- Bo Burnham, "Love Is"

"And I want you like Anne Frank wanted nobody to read her ****ing diary. 'Cause a diary is a collection of secret things that no one's supposed to read. That's the whole point of a diary. Millions of people have breached this little girl's privacy after she was chased by Nazis. Kick her while she's down."
- Bo Burnham, "Love Is"

Keris
2010-05-27, 10:07 AM
"Don't be stupid, they couldn't hit the side of a barn from that dis-" - Can't remember who it was (American Civil War general?), and I know it's not quite right, but it's my favourite "famous last words" :smallbiggrin:
It was General John Sedgwick. Although they weren't actually his last words, they were "All right, my man; go to your place. (http://www.civilwarhome.com/sedgwickdeath.htm)"

Regarding famous last words, I'm quite partial to those of King George V. Allegedly, upon being told that he would be soon well enough to visit Bognor Regis, said "Bugger Bognor" before expiring. More likely though, his last words were to a nurse administering him a sedative, "God damn you".

In a similar vein,
"[...] and always remember the last words of my grandfather, who said 'A truck!'" - Emo Philips.

Jair Barik
2010-05-27, 10:15 AM
Well the one in my signature.

And then...

Did you write the book of love, And do you have faith in God above, If the Bible tells you so? Do you believe in rock an roll, Can music save your mortal soul, And can you teach me how to dance real slow?-Don Mclean

It's my life, It's now or never, I ain't gonna live forever, I just wanna live while I'm aliv- Bon Jovi

ENTER- Andrew Hussie

Theres no I in team but theres a we in weapon.

Ravens_cry
2010-05-27, 10:34 AM
"History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. "
Martin Luther King Junior

The Watchman
2010-05-27, 01:29 PM
"And every day, a beautiful girl approaches the shrine of Yama, and leaves him the only devotion he receives, of flowers."
- Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny, ending line

The single most powerful ending to a novel that I have ever read.

golentan
2010-05-27, 01:35 PM
"And every day, a beautiful girl approaches the shrine of Yama, and leaves him the only devotion he receives, of flowers."
- Lord of Light, by Roger Zelazny, ending line

The single most powerful ending to a novel that I have ever read.

I loved that book.

Toastkart
2010-05-27, 06:28 PM
I've got some more.

“Life, no matter how many people are around you, is a private chore.” ~ War of the Rats (David L. Robbins).

"Writing is a form of personal freedom. It frees us from the mass identity we see in the making all around us. In the end, writers will write not to be outlaw heroes of some underculture but mainly to save themselves, to survive as individuals.” ~ Don Delillo

“You save yourself or you remain unsaved.” ~ Alice Sebold (Lucky)

“Because there is no land of tolerance. There is no peace. Not here, not anywhere else.” ~ Magneto (X-men)

“I got a rock.” ~ Charlie Brown (It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown.)

“A short story is like a woman's skirt: long enough to cover the important parts, but short enough to be interesting.” ~ Unkown

“The family’s function is to repress Eros; to induce a false sense of security; to deny death by avoiding life; to cut off transcendence; to believe in God; not to experience the Void; to create, in short, one-dimensional man; to promote respect, conformity, obedience; to con children out of play; to induce a fear of failure; to promote a respect for work; to promote a respect for ‘respectability.’” ~ R.D. Laing (The Mystification of Experience)

“Every sentence has a truth waiting at the end of it and the writer learns how to know it when he finally gets there.” ~ Don Delillo

Grimlock
2010-05-28, 04:30 AM
"Cry 'Havoc', and let slip the dogs of war"- Julius Ceasar- William Shakespeare

"Me, Grimlock, not 'nice dino.' ME BASH BRAINS."- Grimlock- Transformers: The Movie (1986)

"They say that hope is happiness, but genuine love must prize the past"- Lord Byron

"'Twas brillig, and the slithey toves did gyre and gimble in the wabe"- The Jaberwocky- Lewis Carroll

CJTMW
2010-05-29, 04:12 PM
"A nation never increased in dominion or wealth unless it was free."
-- Niccolo Machiavelli, because no one reads the Discourses.

"A day without beer is a day without sunshine."
--the shopkeep at Beertopia.

Drakevarg
2010-05-29, 04:37 PM
"I do not agree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." - Voltaire

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Statement: This definition, I am told, is subject to interpretation. Obviously, love is a matter of odds. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and fewer would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose, against statistically long odds." - HK-47, Knights of the Old Republic II

"If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions." - Jules Winnfield, Pulp Fiction

"The internet is full of many things. You, me, and someone looking up pregnant Megaman pictures, for example." - Cleverbot

"I put no stock in religion. By the word religion I have seen the lunacy of fanatics of every denomination be called the will of God. I have seen too much religion in the eyes of too many murderers. Holiness is in right action, and courage on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves, and goodness." - Hospitaller, Kingdom of Heaven

"A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convinient at the time. This will not suffice. Remember that." - King Baldwin IV, Kingdom of Heaven

Q: So, why do you write these strong female characters?
A: Because you're still asking me that question.
- "American Rhetoric: Joss Whedon - Equality Now Address". (May 15, 2006)

Em Blackleaf
2010-05-29, 04:58 PM
I have a lot!

As for famous people...
"A chief event of life is the day in which we have encountered a mind that startled us." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"I'm gonna put a curse on you and all your kids will be born completely naked." -Jimi Hendrix

"Earth laughs in flowers." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"As far as I'm concerned, I prefer silent vice to ostentatious virtue." -Albert Einstein

"Grief can take care of itself, but to get the full value of a joy you must have somebody to divide it with." -Mark Twain

"Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads." -Marianne Moore

"Love is being stupid together." -Paul Valery

"A true friend stabs you in the front." - Oscar Wilde

And things my friends have said...
"I don't wanna be a crazy banana lady."- My French teacher

"You're far too animated. Stop it."- Krimm Blackleaf

"Your contractions sound like a drunken rant."- Boyfriend

Dvandemon
2010-06-07, 05:36 PM
Mine is, "It is the inferior thinker that attempts to explain the singular and the complex through the primitive shortcut of supernaturalism"

Jokasti
2010-06-07, 05:46 PM
"Now I have become death, destroyer of worlds"

US scientist upon the successful testing of the first atomic bomb.

Oppenheimer said "Now we're all sons of bitches."
And I quite like the one in my sig. Which I should put here, in case I change it.
"He that looketh hungrily upon a plate
of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already
committed breakfast with it in his heart."
-C.S. Lewis

Xuc Xac
2010-06-07, 10:42 PM
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." --Denis Diderot

"Tôi chỉ muốn cưỡi cơn gió mạnh, đạp luồng sóng dữ, chém cá kình ở biển Đông, đánh đuổi quân Ngô, giành lại giang sơn, cởi ách nô lệ, chứ không chịu khom lưng làm tì thiếp cho người!" [I only want to ride strong winds, to stomp on fierce waves, to slay whales in the Eastern Sea, to drive off Wu soldiers, to secure rivers and mountains, to throw off the yoke of slavery, not to bow down and be a servant!"] --Lady Trieu

"Delight in the mastery of your hands and feet." --Buddha

Drakevarg
2010-06-07, 10:53 PM
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." --Denis Diderot

Wasn't that one Voltaire?

Xuc Xac
2010-06-07, 11:38 PM
Wasn't that one Voltaire?

No, but I'm sure Voltaire would have agreed.

Thajocoth
2010-06-07, 11:41 PM
"There is, at any given time, exactly one person who's absolutely normal in every way. I would not want to be THAT weirdo." - Me

Dancing_Zephyr
2010-06-07, 11:58 PM
To pre-empt my sig:

Power corrupts, absolute power is kinda neat.
-John Lehman, Secretary of the Navy, 1981-1987

Villains always have antidotes. They're funny that way.
-The Helping People Tick

You know who cares less about your life and problems than you do? Everybody.
-Darryl Lennox

I didn't say a lot of the things I said.
-Yogi Bera

The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.
-William Gibson

What cannot be settled by experiment is not worth debating.
-Newton's Flaming Laser Sword

To name my greatest strength I guess it would be my humility. My greatest weakness... It's possible that I'm a little too awesome.
-Barack Obama

A proof is a proof. What kind of a proof? It's a proof. A proof is a proof. And when you have a good proof, it's because it's prove.
-Jean Chrétien

Yes, Madam, I am. But in the morning, I will be sober and you will still be ugly.
-Winston Churchill, after being told he was drunk by Lady Astor

Trellan
2010-06-08, 12:01 AM
"The proud ones do not last long, but vanish like a spring night's dream. And the mighty ones too will perish in the end, like dust before the wind." - The Tales of the Heike

Xyk
2010-06-08, 12:49 AM
"I hate the future. It's always yelling at me and calling me names. That jerk."
-Xyk

“The average pencil is seven inches long, with just a half-inch eraser - in case you thought optimism was dead.”-Robert Brault.

“I'm a pessimist because of intelligence, but an optimist because of will”-Antonio Gramschi

"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense."
Buddha

"Better than a thousand hollow words, is one word that brings peace."
Buddha

"An eye for eye only ends up making the whole world blind."
Mohandas Gandhi

"Genius is more often found in a cracked pot than in a whole one."
E. B. White

“Religion is something left over from the infancy of our intelligence, it will fade away as we adopt reason and science as our guidelines.”
Bertrand Russel

Keld Denar
2010-06-08, 02:09 AM
"Well, as Captain Leif Meldrock says in Mars Needs Lumberjacks, I'm ready for anything." ~The Hero, The Secret of Evermore.

A beholder’s favorite foods include small live mammals, exotic mushrooms and other fungi, gnomes, beef, pork, colorful leafy vegetables, leaves, flower petals, insects, and birds.
-Lords of Madness

An optimist believes the glass is half full, a pessemist believes the glass is half empty, and an engineer believes that the glass is twice as large as is required to contain the volume of liquid present, but a reliable safety factor of 2:1 has been built into the design to ensure containment.
-Anon

A normal person believes that if it ain't broke, don't fix it. An engineer believes that if it ain't broke, it don't have enough features yet.
-Anon (but I have it on a t-shirt!)

Grimlock
2010-06-08, 02:10 AM
This one is a quote from one of my friends years ago, while still at University.

My now wife, (then girl friend), is sitting in the lounge peeling a carrot. Her housemate walks in stops dead.
Housemate: Is that your carrot?
My Wife: Yes...why?
Housemate: Only I bought one yesterday that looks suspiciously similar!

Adumbration
2010-06-08, 02:40 AM
"There is no truly exquisite beauty without some strangeness in proportion."
- Edgar Allan Poe

KoboldRevenge
2010-06-09, 11:04 PM
I'm still a Atheist thank god Heh