PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Scout Enabler

IdleMuse
2010-05-24, 07:15 PM
Just had a peek through Drow of the Underdark, and the Dutiful Guardian feat gave me an interesting idea for reliably activating Skirmish and being able to Full Attack.

Step 1: Be a 6th level scout.
Step 2: Take the Leadership feat, get a 4th level Cohort.
Step 3: Cohort takes the Constant Guardian and Dutiful Guardian feats, and arms himself with a reach weapon.
Step 4: Cohort stands 10ft away from you. I'm sure you can see where this is headed now.
Step 5: Each round, Cohort designates you as his Constant Guardian target, then pokes you with his stick, triggering Dutiful Guardian, switching places.
Step 6: Full Attack Skirmish.

As far as I can tell, this works in RAW, unless by attacking your Leader you cease to be his Ally. And since you're deliberately doing so in order to give him awesome damage, I dunno. Is there a concise definition of Ally anywhere?

Any other reason this doesn't work? Does translocation by feat not count as movement for Skirmish? Does stabbing your ward undesignate the Constant Guardian feat?

arguskos
2010-05-24, 07:24 PM
Not sure RAW-wise, but I'd let it fly. It seems like a really unique and entertaining way of triggering Skirmish, and a fun and fresh combat routine. Good on you for figuring it out. You take constant hits though, and if they miss you are up a creek. That's a downside.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-24, 07:27 PM
It might or might not work by RAW, but I doubt any sane DM will allow your cohort to switch places with you in order to protect you from his own attack because that makes no sense. He'd basically be jumping in front of his own spear.

Alternitavely, it might make you super sane (http://www.nuklearpower.com/2008/12/16/episode-1072-super-sane/).

IdleMuse
2010-05-24, 07:48 PM
Not sure RAW-wise, but I'd let it fly. It seems like a really unique and entertaining way of triggering Skirmish, and a fun and fresh combat routine. Good on you for figuring it out. You take constant hits though, and if they miss you are up a creek. That's a downside.

I'm pretty sure you still switch even if the attack misses. And with some really awful reach weapon, plus the penalty from Constant Guardian, and a really awful-for-melee Cohort, the damage you'll actually be taking is minimal.

And yeah, this obviously doesn't make any sense in the fluff.