PDA

View Full Version : semi-free form D12 help please?

RandomNPC
2010-05-24, 07:40 PM
Hello everyone.

I've got this plan, but to make it work I require the playgrounds help. I'm fairly aware of the D12 system, I've played a little bit of Jade Claw, I've got the serenity book, and well, thats about it. I understand combat, skills, even the HP system and stats makes sense a bit.

Problem:
My gamers are used to the D&D systems magic to the point I don't want to do this in D20 at all. I want them to be somewhat mildly unsure of whats going on so they open up some imagination with the magic system I want to use. Thing is I've never encountered anything like it and don't know how to scale it, or how hard things should be to do.

Magic System:
Relative magic is how the world works, there's going to be decent technology, but magic is accepted by everyone as part of life. Only people who focus on it can really do anything worthwhile, but it's an option. Here's an example:
A sword can be made into a better weapon by focusing on its ability to Cut or Stab then pouring in magic energy and using a spell to keep the energy bound, dealing more dammage. This is a fairly common way to make money: enchanting things to work better at the original purpose.

a secondary status would be accuracy, because it depends partially on the person using it, the weapon just guides them a bit. this would be a second teir focus of an item.

now a polished sword is shiney and reflective, so the sword would have a much harder to focus on status of reflectiveness seeing as it isn't naturally a mirror it would be harder to pour in energy, harder to tie a permanent spell to keep the energy in, all kinds of third teir things.

What I'm looking for:
How do I decide what is a primary purpose, secondary, triatary? (did i even spell that third one right?) and how hard should each step down become? Also, is there a simpler way to resolve magic than Jade Claw? because the story teller tried to figure it out and just said "no mages"
(I can make the Jade Claw setup work with this, I just need some balance ideas I think, just in case, give me all the input you feel the need to, It will all be apreciated)