PDA

View Full Version : A Beginner's Guide to The Doctor...

Mando Knight
2010-05-24, 07:59 PM
So. Thinking of actually getting around to finding something wherein I can watch Doctor Who, since it's just about the biggest requirement for any respectable English-speaking Sci-Fi fan, debatably fighting for that slot with other series like Star Trek and Battlestar Galactica.

The question is that, since I'm in the US of A, where the BBC doesn't have quite the influence it does in the UK, I have no idea where to start.

Is it like Star Trek, where you can tune in whenever it's on, pick up that episode's plot, and go from there? How much continuity between versions of the Doctor, or between episodes with the same Doctor is there? Is there one Doctor who is indisputably the best one to start with?

comicshorse
2010-05-24, 08:04 PM
Is there one Doctor who is indisputably the best one to start with?

It is generally accepted that the Dr Who you grow up with as a kid is the best Doctor.
This is wrong
Tom Baker is the best Doctor ( any other opinion is heresy):smallsmile:

The Dark Fiddler
2010-05-24, 08:11 PM
Having started myself with the 9th Doctor, I can't speak for the older episodes. However, newer episodes do have an over-arching subplot, but are mostly episodic and unconnected. However, there are a few other things you'll need to watch older episodes for (a recently aired NuWho episode had the Weeping Angels, which you would have needed to watch an earlier episode to recognize, but the plot didn't require you knew them. On the other hand, any encounter with the Daleks seems to assume you know at least the new series past with them).

Best Doctor? Tom Baker's 4th Doctor is generally considered the best, and David Tennant's 10th is well respected as well (my personal fave).

TigerHunter
2010-05-24, 08:36 PM
If you've never seen an episode before, I recommend just starting with Season 1 of the revived series, since it was (for obvious reasons) designed to introduce the show to people who'd never seen it before. The first episode (Rose) is awesome, but (in my opinion, at least) the next two aren't great, so stick with it until at least Aliens of London and World War III.

Serpentine
2010-05-24, 08:36 PM
Well, the latest series are probably a reasonable place to start. You can start from the start of a whole new storyline.
For the older ones... You could probably pretty much jump in anywhere and be able to manage. I think starting at the beginning of a new Doctor can be a good place to start, too.

factotum
2010-05-25, 01:37 AM
The older series (prior to its revival) tended to have quite a lot of multi-episode arc plots, though, so you'd need to get the whole "story" for it to make sense. (IIRC, "Genesis of the Daleks" was a single storyline across an entire season of 26 episodes or thereabouts). The revived series has tended to go for singletons and double-parters, usually with references to a series-long arc plot which only really becomes important in the series finale, so it's easier to dip into random episodes with that.

Icewalker
2010-05-25, 01:54 AM
Yeah, I'll also suggest starting with the beginning of the new series and following it consistently. Missing or skipping some episodes shouldn't cause any particular gaps, but there's little consistencies throughout, and some wider story arcs. Then if you're feeling like more Doctor, go back through the older series'.

Southern Cross
2010-05-25, 02:02 AM
Actually,I think " Genesis of the Daleks" was actually six or seven episodes long.However,most of the old series episodes were approximately twenty-five minutes long,unlike the current series.
Traditionally,most Doctor Who stories had only four episodes (i.e. the first Doctor Who story An Unearthly Child) ,but there were a few stories with only two episodes (Starting with Eve of Destruction, the third First Doctor story.
Of course,it immediately followed the first Dalek story,which was seven episodes long.All these DVDs are available in THE BEGINNING boxed set.)

Athaniar
2010-05-25, 03:41 AM
Even though I did start with 9 (Eccleston), my favorite is 7 (McCoy), and 4 (Baker) is pretty good as well.

Castaras
2010-05-25, 04:19 AM
It is generally accepted that the Dr Who you grow up with as a kid is the best Doctor.
This is wrong

Agreed.

If you want revived series, start with Eccleston.

If you want old series, start with Jon Pertwee and Spearhead from Space - that was the first colour episode.

RE: Genesis of the Daleks: That wasn't a story Arc, that was just a majorly awesome story. Long as well. Key to Time is the massive Story Arc I think of though.

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-25, 04:31 AM
This is wrong

I think you over-complicate things. Tom Baker is the doctor.
...And Lelah is the companion.

Grimlock
2010-05-25, 05:25 AM
This is wrong

This is the true path, any and all who disagree should be burnt, ( although Tennant makes a pretty good apostle)

The Big Dice
2010-05-25, 05:30 AM
I think you over-complicate things. Tom Baker is the doctor.
...And Lelah is the companion.

Leela was ok, but she was no Sarah Jane Smith.

As for the OP's questions, I'd say the best place for someone with minimal Who experience is to jump in with the 2005 season. Start with Rose and enjoy the ride. That was delibarately written so that someone who had no idea of the show before then could jump in.

When it comes to classic Who, it gets tricky. Some people have problems with the dodgy sets from the studio-bound days. Others have issues with the men in rubber suits monsters, or the way Who was a pioneer of the blue screen process. Or model work that looks truly awful by modern standards.

The other thing that might be a stumbling block for a modern viewer is the much more relaxed pace of storytelling they had in the old days. With stories tending to unfold over 90 minutes to 2 1/2 hours, the pacing was very different then.

BUt if you want to take a sampling of the classic series, I do have some suggestions. As some other people have suggested, Tom Baker's tenure is a good place to start. Particularly stories like Pyramids of Mars, The Brain of Morbius and The Talons of Weng Chiang.

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-25, 05:56 AM

Can't believe I spelled her name wrong... :smallsigh:
Anyway, I agree. Not that it changes what I said :smalltongue:.

Jaros
2010-05-25, 06:13 AM
If you want some Classic Who, I recently watched the first four serials of the Key to Time arc (The Rhibos Operation, The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood and The Androids of Tara) and thought they were all wonderful, and didn't need much foreknowledge of Dr Who either. I haven't seen the last two serials in the arc yet, but I've heard fairly bad reviews about them.

factotum
2010-05-25, 06:29 AM
Actually,I think " Genesis of the Daleks" was actually six or seven episodes long.

Hmmm...looks like you're right. I'm sure there WAS a story that filled an entire series of the old Who, though, I just can't remember which one it was!

Jaros
2010-05-25, 06:47 AM
You'd be thinking of Key To Time. Though that's pretty much 5 normal adventures where they also have to find part of the Mcguffin (four episodes each), and a final serial (six episodes) which actually involves the Mcguffin.

Though like I said above, I've only seen four of those.

kamikasei
2010-05-25, 06:59 AM
Or possibly Trial of a Time Lord?

comicshorse
2010-05-25, 07:27 AM
Posted by Jaros

If you want some Classic Who, I recently watched the first four serials of the Key to Time arc (The Rhibos Operation, The Pirate Planet, The Stones of Blood and The Androids of Tara) and thought they were all wonderful, and didn't need much foreknowledge of Dr Who either. I haven't seen the last two serials in the arc yet, but I've heard fairly bad reviews about them

The last two are 'The Power of Kroll' (indeed, not very good) and 'The Armageddon Factor" ( much better)
I'd concur with recommending the Key to Time series as it is one of my favourite Dr Who series ( and the Stones of Blood gave me nightmares for days when I was a kid)

Jaros
2010-05-25, 08:20 AM

Ohhhh

Yeah, that's far more likely

factotum
2010-05-25, 10:15 AM

I think you may well be right there. I'd offer you a cookie, but I'm all out. :smallsmile:

Lord of Syntax
2010-05-26, 12:28 AM

Sarah Jane Smith was ok, but she was no Romana.

Aidan305
2010-05-26, 02:00 AM
How much continuity between versions of the Doctor, or between episodes with the same Doctor is there?

Only one continuity so far in new who. In old Who though there were several different ones, many of which are canon... at the same time.

The Big Dice
2010-05-26, 03:27 AM
Only one continuity so far in new who. In old Who though there were several different ones, many of which are canon... at the same time.

Actually, only one continuity. A sprawling and sometimes contradictory one that was sometimes subject to change without warning, depending on how well the writer did his research. But the show did evolve organically, rather than having any semblance of a plan. It had been running for 6 years before Time Lords were mentioned and for eleven before Gallifrey was named, to give an example.

During the 80s they struggled a lot. On the one hand the producer wanted to make a break with the past and establish new ideas and monsters into the show. On the other, he thought he was doing the fans a service by having endless and pointless references back to the show's long history. It got annoying.

The way they handle the legacy of the show now is much better, with the odd nod to the past, reimagining things like Silurians and Sontarans without breaking the original idea and dropping some things in, like the scene where Sarah Jane Smith meets the Tenth Doctor. Things that give older fans one perspective on events, while newer ones have a slightly different one.

Avilan the Grey
2010-05-26, 04:06 AM
Sarah Jane Smith was ok, but she was no Romana.

Leather bikini > Everything, ever.

comicshorse
2010-05-26, 08:39 AM
When I was of an impressionable age I thought Nyssa was gorgeous :smallsmile:

factotum
2010-05-26, 11:44 AM
When I was of an impressionable age I thought Nyssa was gorgeous :smallsmile:

Similarly with Peri, for me...I think I would have been around 14 when they showed her in a bikini in the very first episode she appeared in!

YPU
2010-05-26, 06:56 PM
I have to say this topic really has gotten me into doctor who. But, considering this topics name, could somebody explain to me how the various spin offs are related to the new series and each other.
I am trying to stay away from the old stuff for now, as the new series is enough insanity as it is, you must understand my dutch brain was not made for this diabolical British monstrosity.

The Big Dice
2010-05-26, 07:13 PM
I have to say this topic really has gotten me into doctor who. But, considering this topics name, could somebody explain to me how the various spin offs are related to the new series and each other.
I am trying to stay away from the old stuff for now, as the new series is enough insanity as it is, you must understand my dutch brain was not made for this diabolical British monstrosity.

Pretty much all the spinoffs (Torchwood and The Sarah Jane Adventures) are based on the further adventures of characters that made their debut as companions of the Doctor.

Torchwood is the more adult show, dealing with adult themes, strong language and more violent situations. It's based around a team located in Cardiff. Their job is to protect a rift in time, which first appeared in Who in the Unquiet Grave episode. Things sometimes come through and it's up to Torchwood to deal with them.

SJA is aimed at children and younger teens. And is the only spinoff the Doctor has appeared in so far. In that, Sarah Jane and her teenage son plus a couple of his school friends save the world from an attic in London. It's worth checking out despite it being a children's show. Sarah Jane channels more of the Doctor's mistrust for authority, plus she has a sonic lipstick instead of a screwdriver.

And in the next series, both the 11th Doctor and former companion Jo Grant are going to guest.

comicshorse
2010-05-26, 07:34 PM
It's probably worth mentioning that Torchwood the show is only the latest generation of the Torchwood institue. The first being created by Queen Victoria to defend the realm against alien threats after an encounter with the Doctor. ( In the Dr. Who episode "Tooth and Claw")

Jaros
2010-05-26, 08:32 PM
Well, they're all the same Torchwood, there are like three or four locations though. The central one was in London, and the setting for the second (new) series finale, one randomly disappeared, one is just one strange old man and a large library, and the other is set in Torchwood with Captain Jack Harkness (still cool, but not quite as badass or roguish as he is when he's on the parent show).

Mauther
2010-05-27, 12:31 PM
SJA is aimed at children and younger teens. And is the only spinoff the Doctor has appeared in so far. In that, Sarah Jane and her teenage son plus a couple of his school friends save the world from an attic in London. It's worth checking out despite it being a children's show. Sarah Jane channels more of the Doctor's mistrust for authority, plus she has a sonic lipstick instead of a screwdriver.

And in the next series, both the 11th Doctor and former companion Jo Grant are going to guest.

Fair Warning: Sarah Jane includes a robot dog from the 70's (named K-9) in the cast. If you can read that without punching your monitor, you might enjoy the series. Personally, I consider it one step above dog fights. But as I understand it, I think SJA actually has had the Doctor's greatest companion guest star: Brig Gen Lethbridge-Stewart.

YPU
2010-05-27, 01:34 PM
I reached the episode with her and K-9, and to be honest I have to say I found it a rather cute sidekick. Never was there so much emotion in a distorted "affirmative"

SpiderMew
2010-05-27, 02:15 PM
Start here

http://tv.blinkx.com/show/doctor-who-2005/n33f4s-tzS27gbyqsKzW-F6-C_Q#s1

Ive only ever watched Doctor Who sence the 2005 reboot. Out of the 3 doctors i know, David Tennant is my favorate.

Eldan
2010-05-27, 02:15 PM
Torchwood, on the other hand...

Well, I managed three and a half episodes before I told myself "Well, neither the acting nor the camera will probably get any better soon" and quit. That none of the stories were very interesting didn't help.

The Big Dice
2010-05-27, 04:29 PM
Torchwood, on the other hand...

Well, I managed three and a half episodes before I told myself "Well, neither the acting nor the camera will probably get any better soon" and quit. That none of the stories were very interesting didn't help.

Season 2 is much better, in fact the show gets better in the second half of the first season. Children of Earth, the season 3 miniseries, is absolutely outstanding. British sci-fi in the best tradition of Quatermass, but far more disturbing.

As for K-9 on the SJA, he polarises opinions like nothing else. On the one hand, I think he's awesome. But then I grew up with him. On the other, I can see why people dislike him so intensely.

comicshorse
2010-05-27, 04:49 PM
Do not diss the Robot Dog !

Mauther
2010-05-28, 10:51 AM
Do not diss the Robot Dog !

I'm assuming those are shooting instructions to the Cybermen.

On the matter of Torchwood, season 3: Children of Men is probably the best scifi television in the past decade with one caveat. The entire plotline involving Torchwood sucks. The actual story itself is great, really like the best episode of the "Outer Limits" ever made. But it just seems like it got shoehorned into Torchwood. I thought the Captain Jack plotline derailed, in every meaningful way, an incredibly well done stand alone story. Still well worth the watch, its fantastic.

kamikasei
2010-05-28, 10:57 AM
Would you say Children of Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_earth) (note: not Children of Men (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Children_of_men)) can be watched and enjoyed without familiarity with the first two seasons? And beyond that, would it spoil Season 2 of Torchwood enough that it should be watched later - I've heard decent things about the second season?

Jaros
2010-05-28, 11:01 AM
I'd say watch the rest of Torchwood first.

ondonaflash
2010-05-28, 03:20 PM
I always felt that torchwood had a bizarre disconnect from Doctor Who. Its like, I understand that this is supposed to be the Human angle on the adventures of Doctor Who, but there's almost no connection between the two. Also, Jack's Murders make the Doctor Frown (http://dailypop.files.wordpress.com/2008/11/david-tennant-doctor-who1.jpg)!

Its hard to believe they're part of the same universe when there are absolutely no similarities between the two.

Eldan
2010-05-28, 03:53 PM
Yes, I've heard that it gets better later. But I literally couldn't manage to watch more of it. It's just bad.
The actors are cheesy. Episode four, the Cyberwoman. My god did she feel forced.
And I usually don't pay much attention to camera work, but for some reason, I kept on thinking "something is wrong with this camera angle".

khoregate
2010-05-28, 05:29 PM
My dad years ago was friends with lots of bbc camera men and got hold of a bbc xmas tape....

it has Tom baker sat with the version of romana he had a fling with on a bed and her asking The Doctor what he wanted for christmas ... the reply he gives her whilst drinking from a bottle of Vodka cant be printed :)

factotum
2010-05-29, 12:24 AM
The actors are cheesy. Episode four, the Cyberwoman. My god did she feel forced.

I think you've singled out possibly the worst episode ever made of Torchwood there. Quite apart from the awful actress who played the Cyberwoman, the plot made pretty much no sense and it did a pretty good character assassination job on Ianto, who always appeared to be the only level-headed person on the team up to that point.

I would recommend you at least try the opening episode of season 2, though...it got a lot better, honest!

Eldan
2010-05-29, 05:28 AM
As I said, I managed 3.5 episodes and quit after ten minutes of episode 4. Maybe I'll try it again some time later.