PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Gesalt Artificer Options

HunterOfJello
2010-05-24, 11:24 PM
Hey guys. I'll probably be playing in a solo game soon playing as a gesalt character and was wondering what suggestions everyone might have on the second half of a gesalt Artificier//_______ character.

As far as Int synergy and class features go Warblade, Factotum, Wizard, and Archivist sound like my best options so far from my limited experience.

The character concept I've been thinking about is a knowledge seeker who is fascinated by magical items and lost knowledge. He seeks out lost artifacts, spells and all sorts of other things.

I've been leaning toward Archivist or Factotum as the second class so far since matching a wizard up with an artificier just doesn't feel right to me. I haven't decided on a race, although playing a Warforged is tempting. I also don't have much experience with higher levels in gameplay, so I was thinking on starting at a low level somewhere around 1-3.

So! What are your thoughts on a second class as part of a solo Artificier//_______ character who is starting at low levels?

PId6
2010-05-24, 11:27 PM
For solo low level, I'd go with Warblade. d12 HD, full bab, and maneuvers really make low levels much more survivable until artificer gets into full swing, and it provides some nice mundane backup for artificer's magical might (you know, in case you ever go into an AMF or something).

Alvrick
2010-05-24, 11:29 PM
As far as gestalt goes, you want one passive class on one end, and an active class on the other. because artificer is mostly a passive class (unless you go blastificer) you want a class that you can pour actions into and still have options on the other end. perhaps you could be a Warblade or Crusader who makes his own equipment? a Sorcerer who is fascinated by creating items?

Factotum is pretty awesome, but it's also a bit weak. if you're playing an optimized game where the wizard is nicknamed god and the cleric can take down the tarrasque on his own by level 9, you're in the wrong place with that one, but if it's not completely optimized, then go for it. the flavor and all around awesome of the factotum is really good.

If You're on your own though, I'd suggest a durable character, one that would be considered for Melee and all that

PId6
2010-05-24, 11:35 PM
Factotum is pretty awesome, but it's also a bit weak. if you're playing an optimized game where the wizard is nicknamed god and the cleric can take down the tarrasque on his own by level 9, you're in the wrong place with that one, but if it's not completely optimized, then go for it. the flavor and all around awesome of the factotum is really good.
Depends on how you're using Artificer. Artificer can be a very active class if you use it that way, mostly as Meleeficer or Blastificer. With Blastificer especially, the Factotum's extra actions can easily double or triple your damage output. Artificer itself can handle all of your spellcasting needs, so a class like Wizard or Archivist might even interfere more than Factotum does.

Alvrick
2010-05-24, 11:38 PM
Depends on how you're using Artificer. Artificer can be a very active class if you use it that way, mostly as Meleeficer or Blastificer. With Blastificer especially, the Factotum's extra actions can easily double or triple your damage output. Artificer itself can handle all of your spellcasting needs, so a class like Wizard or Archivist might even interfere more than Factotum does.

ah, yes, I'd forgotten about the extra actions. by level 20 with a straight blastificer you can pump out 300 points of damage in a round, easy. now you can up that to something like 600.

I retract my previous comment

DragoonWraith
2010-05-25, 12:01 AM
A Meleeficer//Warblade/Deepstone Sentinel or Meleeficer//Incarnate/Ironsoul Forgemaster would be the dwarfliest of dwarfly dwarves.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-25, 02:21 AM
Hmm. Warblade is sounding better and better, although I had almost completely dismissed it. I like Warblades better than Duskblades in general, so I think I might make a Warforged Warblade//Artificer.

I've never read up on the information of an Incarnate before. Would it work well with an Artificer?

Alvrick
2010-05-25, 02:26 AM
they're both essentially about making magic items, just in different ways. there's a good deal of overlap if your going to be making magic items for yourself, so it's probably safer just to stick with the warblade rather than incarnum classes.

Also, if you have races of eberron, take a look at the warforged artificer racial substitution class. very cool.

HunterOfJello
2010-05-25, 02:47 AM
Also, if you have races of eberron, take a look at the warforged artificer racial substitution class. very cool.

I was thinking about that. Warforged Artificier looks really cool and Warforged have lots of advantages for Warblades like being able to use Heavy Armor through that Adamantium Armor feat and then boost their move speed back up to 30ft with the Quick Trait. They lose some hp per level, but not much considering Warblades get d12.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 11:57 AM
Solo? Warforged Artificer//Wu Jen. Hullo, Nukrofiscer...