PDA

View Full Version : monk psion help 3.5

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:01 AM
I am playing am monk/psionic warrior

everything is allowed so of corse im using the feat that lets me get my monk stuff

but long story short i need ot know how to max this guy out

and is there anyway to make a monk use dex or wis for damage (feats classes anything) trying to fight the mad and i like playing halflings

please help

Prodan
2010-05-25, 12:09 AM
Warmind 5 - Sweeping Strike

gallagher
2010-05-25, 12:11 AM
i dont know about feats, but dont take more than a 2 level dip in monk. you want evasion. take that feats that lets the levels in both classes stack for your unarmed damage. max your wisdom so you have great armor.

now, for your psywar, take the mantled ACF. you now are more versatile and more valuable as a teammate. this will make you look super-cool too.

make sure you get inertial armor. this doesnt ruin your monk-ness, and you get a great armor class now. later get one of the concealing amorphas for a miss chance. get psionic lions strike asap

if you want to flurry with your unarmed strikes, take the powers that let you add damage.

the build should look like this, if you do it the cool way that i am picturing.

Monk2/PsyWar3/Warmind5/Psywar10

you want at least 5 levels of warmind, because now you hit two squares instead of one every time you hit. this makes AoOs much more fun, too. get a monks belt, take greater unarmed strike, or whatever it is called. you can also, if you want to be even more odd and therefor cool, have 9 of the last 10 levels be tattooed monk. you dont need 10 levels because the last level you get a tattoo is at lvl 9. you now have a million awesome things that you can use, and you still get to be the martial artist that everyone wanted to play but couldnt because monks are terrible

EDIT: partially swordsage'd, i wont be so lucky next time i am sure

Bitter Iocus
2010-05-25, 12:13 AM
Tashalatora, secrets of sarlona.
I found it in a handbook!

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:18 AM
OK here are my questions doesn't warmind messup my progression of all my awesome monk stuff? and where can i find the rest of the classes and such

Hendel
2010-05-25, 12:20 AM
I am not sure I understood the last sentence, but playing a halfling helps the AC but hurts the damage dice for small weapons.

Swashbuckler allows Int bonus to be applied to damage in addition to Str. Weapon Finnese and Intuitive Strike allow Dex and/or Wis to be used to attack instead of Str.

That is a good build for the Vow of Poverty if you wanted to go down that road.

I would also recommend Practiced Manifester to allow you to augment your powers with more points. I have a current 5th level build of Monk/Psionic Warrior and he has an AC 29 during most fights without any magic items (Pretty hefty AC for 5th level!).

Offensive Prescience helps add damage and the Precognition 1st level powers add to AC and/or attack so I would load up on those and Inertial Armor, Force Screen, etc. I actually used some power picks that could have gone to 2nd level powers to pick 1st level powers because of how effective they are.

A nice prestige class would be the Fist of Zuoken from EPH of the same thing in the SRD is Psionic Fist. You can easily get into it at 6th level with Monk 2/Psychic Warrior 3 build.

There is more, but I need to know more about what you plan to do. Such as what level, what style of fighting (ie weapons, unarmed, grapple, etc), and if any book or third party source is really okay in that campaign.

Bitter Iocus
2010-05-25, 12:25 AM
Just found (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20070212a&page=5) this. Take a look, has the fluff descript of Tash. My understanding is that it'll let you get your delicious on via psychic warrior or really any class you pick.

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:25 AM
ok to answer those questions im planning on doing a lot of unarmed stike damage and keeping as mobile as possible

i was trying to bypass str for damage but so far the swashbuckler is the only way a and 3 levels is a lot to give up for that one ability

the level is 1 right now but this is going to 20

and third part is frowned apon mainly we can use any thing relased by wizards even if there settings apart and such

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:27 AM
i would like to point out i like halfling but that's not a must but it doesn't haft to be im open to suggestions

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 12:27 AM
Okay, 1 or 2 levels of monk, the rest psychic warrior. Check out some of the ACFs, such as mantled warrior or soulbound weapon (both here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070214a)). Also check out some of the monk ACFs around. Natural World mantle is probably the best one, for metamorphosis later on.

You may wish to look over some of the more versatile feats and powers available (such as psionic minor creation, Psicrystal Affinity, and so on).

Get Linked Power (from CPsi) for buffing, at least one low-level swift action power to Link from, and powers to improve offense, defense, utility, maneuverability, and powers to deal with situations that are usually difficult for warrior-types to deal with (such as flying creatures, Big McLargeHuge critters, and terrain issues), as appropriate. Expansion is ALWAYS a good idea, especially if you have a reach weapon (like a glaive or guisarme). Use your reach weapon for...reach...and your unarmed strike for adjacent attacks. Grab Improved Trip, if possible (and without spending feats on prereqs, if possible).

Grab some feats to improve out-of-combat utility (Psicrystal Affinity, Expanded Knowledge, Darkstalker, Mindsight , Shape Soulmeld, and so on) and combat effectiveness.

Avoid most fire-and-forget powers (aside from [i]hammer, psionic lion's charge and hustle), as they'll chew through your pp. Long-duration powers (especially buffs) are the best way to go, due to a limited pp pool. Find ways to conserve your power point pool (grabbing Combat Reflexes and a high Dex, combine with expansion to lay on some hurt; a handful of +1 manifester arrows; psionic focus feats to improve damage, etc; power stones; and so on).

You'll be powerful and useful from your first level in psychic warrior on.

Psychic warriors are tier 3 for a reason.

[edit] Also, don't go Vow of Poverty. Does not work with this build. PP are way too scarce on psychic warriors for this.

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:31 AM
mainly i trying to keep up with the warblade half giant bastard in out party is power is stupid

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:33 AM
o and side note does psionics have anything similar to a lich i could mabey use to boost my stats.....or i could just do lich

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 12:34 AM
mainly i trying to keep up with the warblade half giant bastard in out party is power is stupidIf you know what you're doing, psychic warriors are fully capable of keeping up with ToB classes (and out-damaging them handily). They're not quite as noob-friendly, but they're at least as flexible, if not moreso, and their power ranges from a lot less to quite a bit more, but they average about the same.

o and side note does psionics have anything similar to a lich i could mabey use to boost my stats.....or i could just do lichDoesn't offer stat boosts, but necropolitan (from Libris Mortis) gives undead traits, including tons of immunities. Add onto an anthropomorphic bat (from Savage Species) for good stat boosts. AND a fly speed!

Hendel
2010-05-25, 12:36 AM
mainly i trying to keep up with the warblade half giant bastard in out party is power is stupid

I once played a Half-Giant Psychic Warrior with Monkey Grip who wielded a huge Greatsword that moprhed into a colossal greatsword as I used my augmented Expansion. Laying down the hurt of 8d6 plus felt really good and to your point it is hard to out do that.

Your build will be able to do damage, but not as much as the Half-Giant Warblade, probably. However, you will be more survivable in my opinion.

Bharg
2010-05-25, 01:04 AM
I once played a Half-Giant Psychic Warrior with Monkey's Claw who wielded a huge Greatsword that moprhed into a colossal greatsword as I used my augmented Expansion. Laying down the hurt of 8d6 plus felt really good and to your point it is hard to out do that.

Your build will be able to do damage, but not as much as the Half-Giant Warblade, probably. However, you will be more survivable in my opinion.

COLOSSAL?! What are the measurements of that thing and how do you wield it?!! :smalleek:

Hendel
2010-05-25, 01:13 AM
COLOSSAL?! What are the measurements of that thing and how do you wield it?!! :smalleek:

My DM and I went around and around with that. He decided that while game mechanically, I could wield it, he penalized me in small spaces so that it could not be wielded. Of course, I was huge at the time, so I wasn't able to get into very small spaces anyway.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-25, 01:15 AM
COLOSSAL?! What are the measurements of that thing and how do you wield it?!! :smalleek:As a half-giant, you're Medium but can wield Large weapons. With Monkey Grip, that's a Huge weapon. With a 1pp expansion, that's a Gargantuan weapon (and the half-giant is Large). With an 8pp expansion, that's Colossal (and the half-giant is Huge). The blade is approximately the size of a bedroom door, if not slightly larger.

Bharg
2010-05-25, 01:19 AM
My DM and I went around and around with that. He decided that while game mechanically, I could wield it, he penalized me in small spaces so that it could not be wielded. Of course, I was huge at the time, so I wasn't able to get into very small spaces anyway.

Wouldn't a COLOSSAL weapon do splashdamage like a 20ft line or something like that?

gallagher
2010-05-25, 01:26 AM
while taking levels in warmind will take away from your delicious monk abilities, using powers (and linking them) will more than make up for it.

your damage die arent even that grand, doing a max, what, 2d10? your powers will beef that up nicely, and you can power attack. the sweeping strike is more that better than those extra die, as you will be hitting two people at once. it is also full BAB, so you will be giving yourself extra attacks soon enough. eventually you will be able to pick up deep impact so you can hit on their touch AC, which is where you will want to power attack as much as possible. or you can get a heartseeking amulet from MiC, which lets you hit on touch AC 3x per day, which you should be doing for your sweeping strikes, since you are rolling once to hit both targets, and it is only like 3k gp

you expand, so the damage die goes up (if you have earth sense and earth power, it is only 7 PP to go from small to large or medium to huge) and then you add on things like dissolving touch or emphatic transfer, hostile to dish out the pain.

if you are worried about those little boosts in base die, pick up a monks belt. its 13000 gp, and take the greater unarmed strike for better base damage. argue with your DM that you should be able to strike with spiked gauntlets, and that they would increase your damage, since your punches are being improved with spikes. if you are worried about being too overshadowed by someone with ToB, then you should be able to convey that to your DM and ask for at least a special set of spiked gauntlets as a reward for some mission.

Bharg
2010-05-25, 01:38 AM
As a half-giant, you're Medium but can wield Large weapons. With Monkey Grip, that's a Huge weapon. With a 1pp expansion, that's a Gargantuan weapon (and the half-giant is Large). With an 8pp expansion, that's Colossal (and the half-giant is Huge). The blade is approximately the size of a bedroom door, if not slightly larger.

Thanks. I think the rules concerning object size are a kinda confusing. The greatsword of a medium creature is a large weapon with a length about up to 2 meter with medium damage (~2d6), right? If you use that power you actually do not turn the weapon in a colossal object but into an object a colossal creature would wield (linked with the damage), a creature more than 20 meter high.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Draz74
2010-05-25, 01:42 AM
a handful of +1 manifester arrows;

Really, if your DM lets you exploit this tactic to its fullest, then you will never have problems with running out of PP again after the very low levels. 360 gp per additional Power Point ... yeah. Wow. Keep that coming. :smallbiggrin:

Keld Denar
2010-05-25, 01:43 AM
It really depends on how much Warmind you want. When you take Monastic Training, you have to pick a psionic class. If you take 5 levels of Warmind, you can make up for it with a Monk's Belt (which grants +5 effective monk levels). Alternatively, if you take all 10 levels of Warmind, you can take Monastic Training for Warmind, and then get into it with 2 Monk and 3 PsyWar levels (2 of each if you use fractional BAB). This ends you up with 12/20 effective Monk levels. A Belt boosts you to 17/20, and Superior Unarmed Strike bumps you to 20 by level 19.

This is unfortunately one of the situations where Halflings sadly do NOT rock. Tashalatorans benefit mostly from stacking size and effective size. You can get some impressive numbers starting from medium, but small is gonna set you back enough that it'll hurt you in the mid-high levels. Human is a great race for this though, as you need a lot of feats to be able to pull off all of the really cool tricks, like being an awesome grappler, on top of everything else.

Also, because it needs to be said....MONKEY GRIP DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! It doesn't stack with Powerful Build...it just doesn't.

Hendel
2010-05-25, 01:59 AM
Thanks. I think the rules concerning object size are a kinda confusing. The greatsword of a medium creature is a large weapon with a length about up to 2 meter with medium damage (~2d6), right? If you use that power you actually do not turn the weapon in a colossal object but into an object a colossal creature would wield (linked with the damage), a creature more than 20 meter high.
Tell me if I am wrong.

Not to side track the thread any more than we have. The greatsword of a medium creature is "medium" and does 2d6 damage. If they become large through Enlarge Person or Expansion, the greatsword is now "large" and now does 3d6 damage. If they become huge through augmented Expansion, the greatsword is now "huge" and does 4d6 damage. If the greatsword is dropped at anytime it reverts to "medium" size and 2d6 damage even if the wielder picks it up again (in fact he will now suffer penalties for using a weapon that is too small for him).

A goliath or half-giant that starts off with Powerful Build and can be a medium creature and wield a "large" weapon with no penalty. If that same character has the feat Monkey Grip which allows you to wield a weapon one size larger than you (there is still some debate as to whether or not this will allow a goliath or half-giant to use a "huge" weapon) then you could possibly wield a "huge' weapon that does 4d6 damage as mentioned above. The two size increases to the character via the spells/powers mentioned above would take that to "gargantuan" and "colossal" sized greatsword doing 6d6 and 8d6 damage respectively.

Once more, there are questions about Monkey Grip and the Powerful Build trait, but otherwise the process is sound. I am sorry, we will now get back to the making of a Monk/Psychic Warrior...

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-25, 03:17 AM
Getting the "Martial Stance" feat gets you a Shadow Hand stance. Then getting the "Shadow Blade" feat gets you Dex to damage.

"Intuitive Attack" gets you Wis-to-hit.

Superior Unarmed Strike increases your effective monk level by 4 for damage.

Improved Natural Attack increases your effective size by one level for damage.

Snap Kick gives you an extra unarmed attack every time you attack, including AoOs.

Technically, by RAW, you could get Monastic Training (Psy Warrior), Tashalantora and then get Monastic Training (WarMind)... which would give you full progression of Monk damage.

lord_khaine
2010-05-25, 04:36 AM
I really dont think Warmind is worth the efford for you, i would instead recomend straight levels Psywar after you are done with monk.

The reason for that is that Warmind will slow down your power progression, and i really dont think the abilities it gives are worth that.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 09:04 AM
Natural World mantle is probably the best one, for metamorphosis later on.

This is actually a bad choice for the Mantled Warrior ACF. The granted ability is weaksauce, you only care about one power on the list, and the power you want won't be available until level 10. That's 10 levels of a mediocre mantle just for the pay off.

Instead, get Natural World via the Tap Mantle feat at level 9 - you'll be just in time for Metamorphosis next level. At lower levels, you'll want a more useful mantle like Time, Destruction, Creation, Deception or Guardian.

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 12:25 PM
wow lot of good information here

im no noob to psionics or monks so i should be ok

but real fast back to my lich question im just looking for an in game template that allowed to add stats as easy as becoming a lich adds a bunch of awesome ****

but as far as my build im going to look into the warmind some more and deside if im going to take it or not

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:45 PM
I also suggest Interative Attack (?) which lets you use WIS to hit the target.

Mongoose87
2010-05-25, 12:49 PM
I also suggest Interative Attack (?) which lets you use WIS to hit the target.

Intuitive Attack, which is exalted, for some reason, is what you're thinking of.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:52 PM
Intuitive Attack, which is exalted, for some reason, is what you're thinking of.

thanks. Did not know the bloody name...

Combined with an Insectoid Thri-Kreen with Girallon's Blessing and Arms of the Girallon, he's got the largest Multiweapon Flurry of Fists...

Hendel
2010-05-25, 12:53 PM
wow lot of good information here

im no noob to psionics or monks so i should be ok

but real fast back to my lich question im just looking for an in game template that allowed to add stats as easy as becoming a lich adds a bunch of awesome ****

but as far as my build im going to look into the warmind some more and deside if im going to take it or not

Wouldn't Half-Dragon or something be better than a Lich!?

I just couldn't see myself going down that road with a character. Is the rest of the party evil? Is the DM okay with you as a Lich?

Plus, a +4 level bump is a high price to pay even for all of the good stuff you pick up ("good" of course being a relative term). What if the next necromancer you fight decides to make you his? Of course, the next enchanter could do the same now if you look at it that way.

Hendel
2010-05-25, 12:54 PM

Can't use this if you are a Lich.

Mongoose87
2010-05-25, 12:56 PM

I don't get the lich idea. Four more levels of PsyWar manifesting is so much better.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:57 PM

Good Lich can.

Reguardless of wheter or not undeath is evil, you're a good lich, therefore are filled with Positive Energy

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 01:00 PM

If you are a good lich (LM pg. 156), sure you can.
(Or a Deathless Councillor, Baelnorn...)

Hendel
2010-05-25, 01:01 PM
Good Lich can.

Reguardless of wheter or not undeath is evil, you're a good lich, therefore are filled with Positive Energy

Sorry, but the Lich template from the SRD says:

"Alignment
Any evil."

and

"Lich Characters
The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character. A lich retains all class abilities it had in life."

I don't see a "good lich" in the picture.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 01:02 PM

You did read my page cite, right?

Tar Palantir
2010-05-25, 01:03 PM
If you are looking at lich, I'd recommend Dry Lich from Sandstorm instead. +5 LA instead of +4, but extra Wis, Charisma replaces Con to HP (which is HUGE, especially since all of your HD still become d12), your touch deals Con damage instead of paralysis, and does 5d6 desiccation damage instead of 1d8+cha negative energy, you get multiple phylacteries...only downside is that water damages you as holy water, but the damage for that is such crap that as long as you don't swim you're fine.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 01:04 PM
Sorry, but the Lich template from the SRD says:

"Alignment
Any evil."

and

"Lich Characters
The process of becoming a lich is unspeakably evil and can be undertaken only by a willing character. A lich retains all class abilities it had in life."

from Libris Mortis, under Undead Variants

Hendel
If you are a good lich (LM pg. 156), sure you can.
(Or a Deathless Councillor, Baelnorn...)

Well I knew about deathless and I just looked up your reference in Libris Mortis. It doesn't, however, look at all as powerful as standard Lich.

Greenish
If you are looking at lich, I'd recommend Dry Lich from Sandstorm instead. +5 LA instead of +4, but extra Wis, Charisma replaces Con to HP (which is HUGE, especially since all of your HD still become d12), your touch deals Con damage instead of paralysis, and does 5d6 desiccation damage instead of 1d8+cha negative energy, you get multiple phylacteries...only downside is that water damages you as holy water, but the damage for that is such crap that as long as you don't swim you're fine.Is there a way to become one without the PrC?

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 01:05 PM
If you are looking at lich, I'd recommend Dry Lich from Sandstorm instead. +5 LA instead of +4, but extra Wis, Charisma replaces Con to HP (which is HUGE, especially since all of your HD still become d12), your touch deals Con damage instead of paralysis, and does 5d6 desiccation damage instead of 1d8+cha negative energy, you get multiple phylacteries...only downside is that water damages you as holy water, but the damage for that is such crap that as long as you don't swim you're fine.

and best: YOU CAN GET IT WITH A PrC!!!

Prax4788
2010-05-25, 01:09 PM
the point of somthing i could get in game was that my dm wouldnt count the level ajustment and that a lich because its crafted wouldnt stop me from getting that plus classes i was just looking for some easy mental stat increases and lich seemed kool
scence i jsut had to have somthing crafted

but yes the rest of the group is evil

Greenish
2010-05-25, 01:12 PM
only downside is that water damages you as holy water, but the damage for that is such crap that as long as you don't swim you're fine.Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) says "hi". 480d4 damage per round with "geyser" setting.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 01:14 PM
Well I knew about deathless and I just looked up your reference in Libris Mortis. It doesn't, however, look at all as powerful as standard Lich.

It has everything a standard lich does, it's just Good, gets Turn Undead (ETL = HD) and can be turned by evil clerics.

It does add +1 to the CR though (which I take to mean it adds +1 to the LA) so you're best off waiting until 20 to do the ritual, if you must be a lich.

Tar Palantir
2010-05-25, 01:17 PM
Decanter of Endless Water (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#decanterofEndlessWater) says "hi". 480d4 damage per round with "geyser" setting.

Quite true. Of course, weakness to one rather uncommon wondrous item is most likely worth the double (or more) hp you can expect to have, not to mention the other benefits.

Greenish
2010-05-25, 01:19 PM
Quite true. Of course, weakness to one rather uncommon wondrous item is most likely worth the double (or more) hp you can expect to have, not to mention the other benefits.It's uncommon? Who leaves home without one? :smallwink:

Hendel
2010-05-25, 01:38 PM
It has everything a standard lich does, it's just Good, gets Turn Undead (ETL = HD) and can be turned by evil clerics.

It does add +1 to the CR though (which I take to mean it adds +1 to the LA) so you're best off waiting until 20 to do the ritual, if you must be a lich.

I see. Are you sure about that? The Lichfiend underneath it says, "it gains the typical abilities of a lich except as noted below" and then it lists the special quality.

The "good lich" has no statement like that, just states its special attack and special qualities and says it "retains the normal lich's fear aura." There is no notation that they get all of the standard lich abilities. I am not arguing that they do or do not, just that there is nothing that says they do get it.

Sorry to go off topic, but it was brought up on this thread.

Of course the OP has now stated that the party is evil, so the point is moot and he can go with the standard lich as the good lich would be the outcast in such a party (especially if he had exalted feats!).

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 02:05 PM
I see. Are you sure about that? The Lichfiend underneath it says, "it gains the typical abilities of a lich except as noted below" and then it lists the special quality.

It's a variant; variants only list what is changed. Otherwise you would need a separate table for Unarmed Swordsage, a separate table for Vivicarnate, a separate table for every Mind's Eye article, and separate tables for all these. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#otherClassVariants)

Hendel
2010-05-25, 02:14 PM
It's a variant; variants only list what is changed. Otherwise you would need a separate table for Unarmed Swordsage, a separate table for Vivicarnate, a separate table for every Mind's Eye article, and separate tables for all these. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#otherClassVariants)

Yes, but those on the variant link all say "gain" and "loose" or it says that they are the same except for ...

The Monster Manual entries for the races tend to say something like "these traits are in addition to hill dwarf traits except where noted."

Each of these variants has a disclaimer of "the same except for" or it lists a gain and a loss. Either way, interesting discovery, I might have to throw a good lich or two around to keep things lively (forgive the pun!).

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 02:52 PM
Yes, but those on the variant link all say "gain" and "loose" or it says that they are the same except for ...

But it doesn't say "As normal barbarian/ranger/druid etc., except for the following" now does it? Even the header to that section only mentions the changed class features and not the unchanged ones.

So by your logic, the Favored Enemy Barbarian (as an example) would not have the speed increase, uncanny dodge, trap sense or illiteracy, because the variant does not specify that it keeps those things... even though it does specify what IS lost (the rage.)

Yours is an excessively narrow reading to justify an unnecessary point.

Hendel
2010-05-25, 03:19 PM
But it doesn't say "As normal barbarian/ranger/druid etc., except for the following" now does it? Even the header to that section only mentions the changed class features and not the unchanged ones.

So by your logic, the Favored Enemy Barbarian (as an example) would not have the speed increase, uncanny dodge, trap sense or illiteracy, because the variant does not specify that it keeps those things... even though it does specify what IS lost (the rage.)

Yours is an excessively narrow reading to justify an unnecessary point.

I would really be done with this other than the fact that you feel the need to disparage me with a comment like "Yours is an excessively narrow reading."

I never said that I disagreed or that I was trying to prove a point other than it is your logic that is faulty. If you wish to continue this, please contact me or start another thread, but I will not waste any more posts to comment on something so off-topic as this has become.

Once again, sorry to the OP for this.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 03:51 PM
I would really be done with this other than the fact that you feel the need to disparage me with a comment like "Yours is an excessively narrow reading."

Except I didn't disparage you at all; I disparaged your reading.
Your interpretation, if you will. I have nothing against you personally.

hamishspence
2010-05-25, 03:59 PM
Given that it gets +1 to challenge rating compared to a standard lich- one would expect that those powers are in addition to standard lich powers.

The Archlich in Monsters of Faerun (human only) is described as having all the powers of a standard lich, plus bonuses:

turn undead (as a good cleric), animate dead, turning immunity (is turned or destroyed, instead of rebuked or commanded, if an evil cleric tries to rebuke or command it) and water walk.

The variant does not have a CR adjustment listed though.

While it does say they only use their at-will animate dead spell-like ability in self-defense, not to create armies, it might be a bit too powerful to be allowed without a CR adjustment.