PDA

View Full Version : Neutral Good or True Neutral?

Salbazier
2010-05-25, 04:55 AM
Say, there is a powerful wizard. He's mostly conerned about himself and his magic, just like any other wizard out there. But, he doesn't mind going out of his way to help people, like saving a village from an army of orcs, for small payment or even for free.

Thing is, whether it is for the good of others or for selfish purpose, he doesn't mind mind using some 'evil' spells if necessary. Like summoning/calling/contracting devil/demons or dominations (not an actually 'evil' spell but dominating creatures is often classified as an evil act).

So, what alignment he is?

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-25, 04:57 AM
If does not mess up all around too much, he's maybe still in the field of true neutral.

Definitively not NG. I guess someone could argue quite the opposite.

EDIT: Misread one thing but the TN point remains valid. See Paddyfool below.

paddyfool
2010-05-25, 04:59 AM
Primary motivation being selfish but not actually harmful: TN
Secondary motivation being generous: NG

Methods of the whatever-works variety: TN

Overall: TN, leaning NG.

Hendel
2010-05-25, 05:20 AM
Why not Chaotic Neutral? He can do what he wants to do and charge the folks sometimes or do it for free sometimes. He can use whatever spell he wants. He is not evil, but he is also not good. This is total freedom for the wizard who cares about magic over everything else.

Otherwise, I would say True Neutral.

nedz
2010-05-25, 06:06 AM
Why not LNtG ?

He's concerned mostly about his studies but will help others if the situation presents itself.

Salbazier
2010-05-25, 06:26 AM
Primary motivation being selfish but not actually harmful: TN
Secondary motivation being generous: NG

Methods of the whatever-works variety: TN

Overall: TN, leaning NG.

My thought exactly.

Why not Chaotic Neutral? He can do what he wants to do and charge the folks sometimes or do it for free sometimes. He can use whatever spell he wants. He is not evil, but he is also not good. This is total freedom for the wizard who cares about magic over everything else.

Otherwise, I would say True Neutral.

Never thought it that way. I guess I just don't like the 'always ignore authorities/law' side from chaotic alignment. But, 'acting on whims' can be interpreted as chaotic as well... Yes, it may works.

Why not LNtG ?

He's concerned mostly about his studies but will help others if the situation presents itself.

What is LNtG? Lawful Neutral with Tendency to Good? Why Lawful?

Baron Malkar
2010-05-25, 06:36 AM
To me this sounds like his alignment is TM (True Malconvoker)

2xMachina
2010-05-25, 06:46 AM
Likely Neutral tending Good?

I prefer Lawful Neutral True Good though.

AstralFire
2010-05-25, 08:15 AM
It depends on how much he goes out of his way. If it's 'when people tell me about it' TN. If he spends time actively looking for people to help, NG. In both cases, definitely with a strong lean to whatever one he's not.

Skaven
2010-05-25, 08:18 AM
You can make him whatever alignment you want form those mentioned.

NG
TN
CN

Try and put him in some scenario's to work beyond that.

There's an evil fighter knocking on his door. Said fighter claims he's killed his younger sister.

Does he kill him?
Subdue him and take him to the authorities?
Dominate him and make him work as a slave?
Turn him into a Rat and dump him in a sewer to live as vermin for the end of his days?

Thinking of answers to other beyond concept scenario's can really help to flesh out an NPC.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-25, 08:19 AM
It depends on the setting and its rules of magic.

If the wizard is using "evil" spells, I'd characterize him as Neutral Good, with a slight leaning towards TN. If he's using [Evil] spells, I'd call him NG leaning towards TN, leaning more as he casts more [Evil] spells, eventually falling to TN (and potentially farther). As he falls more, he helps less.

aberratio ictus
2010-05-25, 08:22 AM
There's an evil fighter knocking on his door. Said fighter claims he's killed his younger sister.

Whose sister? His or his?

Quietus
2010-05-25, 08:30 AM
I'd just like to point out that if he's calling or summoning Demons/Devils, then those spells gain the [Evil] descriptor, which means he IS casting an Evil spell. That will leave a mark on his soul, by RAW, which means that he would, at best, be labelled "Neutral", assuming he does so with any regularity, even if he's doing it for a Good cause.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 08:36 AM
It depends on how often he works pro bono vs. wanting payment.