PDA

View Full Version : Mark of Warding Questions [4E]

OMG PONIES
2010-05-25, 11:34 AM
If an Earthstrength Warden takes Earthstrength Defenses and Mark of Warding, does taking a second wind give 2+CON+1 to all defenses? CON+1? Just CON? I don't know if Earthstrength defenses replaces the regular bonus to defenses or not. Also, does Mark of Warding trigger because a power (second wind) is giving bonuses to defenses?

Also, if a character has White Lotus Defenses and Mark of Warding, do they get a +2 to defenses every time they use an arcane at-will? Or is the bonus to defenses granted by the feat, rather than the power, thus invalidating Mark of Warding?

Thajocoth
2010-05-25, 12:55 PM
What's the kind of bonus?

+1 feat bonus + +1 feat bonus = +1 bonus.
+1 feat bonus + +1 item bonus = +2 bonus.
+1 bonus + +1 bonus = +2 bonus. (untyped always stacks.)

Earthstrength Defenses is an untyped bonus to a bonus from a specific power. It states that it's "additional", not that it replaces your Second Wind's normal bonus.
Mark of Warding is another untyped bonus to bonuses, specifically bonuses granted by powers.

So together, you get all 3 bonuses counting as one big untyped bonus (as they're adding to Second Wind's bonus, rather than being a direct bonus themselves, and Second Wind's bonus is an untyped bonus.) Each of the three applies only once (Earthstrength Defenses isn't a power, after all, but if it was, you would get the Mark's bonus twice. Once to each power granting a defense bonus.)

White Lotus Defenses is an untyped bonus that is added from a use of a power (your at-wills). Mark of Warding's bonus to bonuses of powers should apply, as the feat is causing those powers to give a bonus. However, there is enough ambiguity (iff your DM is a complete jerk) to say "No, it's from a feat."

TricksyAndFalse
2010-05-25, 03:06 PM
If an Earthstrength Warden takes Earthstrength Defenses and Mark of Warding, does taking a second wind give 2+CON+1 to all defenses? CON+1? Just CON? I don't know if Earthstrength defenses replaces the regular bonus to defenses or not. Also, does Mark of Warding trigger because a power (second wind) is giving bonuses to defenses?

Also, if a character has White Lotus Defenses and Mark of Warding, do they get a +2 to defenses every time they use an arcane at-will? Or is the bonus to defenses granted by the feat, rather than the power, thus invalidating Mark of Warding?

An Earthstrength Warden normally gain a bonus equal to CON to AC (and no other defenses) when second winding. This is in addition to the normal +2 you get.

Earthstrength Defenses adds a bonus equal to CON to Ref, Fort, and Will (but not to AC) when second winding. This is also in addition to the normal +2 you get.

Combining these, you simply get a bonus equal to +2+CON to all defenses when second winding.

Mark of Warding increases a bonus to a defense from a power by 1. A strict reading would suggest you don't gain this +1 during a second wind. The second wind itself is an action, not a power. Earthstrength is a class feature, not a power. Earthstrength Defenses is a feat, not a power.

Likewise, Mark of Warding will not necessarily activate when White Lotus Defense does. White Lotus Defense is a feat, not a power. If the power that triggers White Lotus Defense increases your defenses, though, Mark of Warding will also be triggered. The only example I found of an arcane at-will that increases defenses though is Thundering Armor for the artificer.

I think Mark of Warding is still a good feat--there are many warden powers that will trigger it. It just will not trigger under any of the conditions you've asked about (except for said artificer power, and maybe some others I overlooked).

TricksyAndFalse
2010-05-26, 07:52 AM
I thought about this some more.

If you really want to make one of the White Lotus feats work for you as a warden, you need to be playing a hybrid, or a paragon-tier+ half-elf, because you need to have access to an arcane at-will. I think in your last thread, you mentioned warden|warlock. That seems like a workable combination.

Let's say you are a level two dwarf warden|warlock (dwarf for the con bonus, and the RP fluff aspect of Mark of Warding). One of your feats is Mark of Warding, and the other is White Lotus Defense.

You might take Earth Shield Strike (PH 2) as your warden at-will, and Eldritch Strike (PH Heroes 1) as your warlock at-will. When using Earth Shield Strike, the usual +1 AC from the power becomes +2 AC thanks to Mark of Warding. When using Eldritch Strike, if you hit, you gain +1 to all defenses to attacks from the target you hit. Both your at-wills trigger both your feats. One can give you a +2 AC against all targets, and the other gives you +1 to all defenses against one target (if it hits).

I'm not a fan of Earth Shield Strike. I'd prefer the temp hit points from Strength of Stone (PH 2). To make Mark of Warding work for you at low levels, you might not take a warden at-will that adds to defenses, and instead take a daily that does so (Form of the Relentles Panther [PH 2] and of the Dread Serpert [PP 1] both give +2 reflex, which becomes +3, of the Laughing Killer [PP 1] gives +2 will, which becomes +3, of Winter's Herald [PH 2]and of Mountain's Thunder [PP 1] both give +1 AC, which becomes +2). Any Con-based warlock encounter power will do, but Chains of Levistus (AP 1) and Diabolic Grasp (PH 1) both seem fitting.