PDA

View Full Version : Ranged Ranger Help

VirOath
2010-05-25, 12:45 PM
I'm looking at making a 16/4 Ranger/scout build and although I have a good idea on what equipment to use to maximize the number of attacks, I'm wondering if feats can offer even more besides Rapid Shot.

Mongoose87
2010-05-25, 12:48 PM
You need some Swift Hunter.

gallagher
2010-05-25, 12:49 PM
and some splitting arrows.

with ranged, you can always go throwing weapons, so you can get some splitting returning daggers, palm throw, and a couple other cool tricks. prestige into master thrower so you can hit them on touch AC

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:50 PM
1. Be a Thri-Kreen
2. Start as a Totemist for enough to get Girallon's Blessing
3. Use 4 Longbows
4. Open Fire.

Greenish
2010-05-25, 12:51 PM
Swift hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.40) and archery handbooks (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0).

[Edit]:

2. Start as a Totemist for enough to get Girallon's BlessingTotemists don't cast spells. (Girallon Arms soulmeld doesn't grant you extra hands.)

HunterOfJello
2010-05-25, 12:51 PM
Woodland Archer is a must-have Tactical Feat that requires Point-Blank Shot and +6 BAB.

It provides 3 tactical benefits. One is based on ignoring Concealment on the round after you miss a target due to concealment. Another is based on doing Sniping Attacks (i.e. ranged attacks while hidden), but the feat allows you to move between shots and then fire extra shots while hidden.

My favorite benefit is that if you miss a foe with a projectile weapon on your turn, the rest of your projectile attacks against that foe get a +4 attack bonus on your turn.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 12:53 PM
Swift hunter (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=103.40) and archery handbooks (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=642.0).

[Edit]:Totemists don't cast spells. (Girallon Arms soulmeld doesn't grant you extra hands.)

I thought it did... Because having 8 arms with hands makes sense.

Ruinix
2010-05-26, 08:31 AM
I'm looking at making a 16/4 Ranger/scout build and although I have a good idea on what equipment to use to maximize the number of attacks, I'm wondering if feats can offer even more besides Rapid Shot.

sources allowed?

obejective? arena/campaing/x ???

how much cheese is allowed ?

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-26, 09:06 AM
The 16 levels are of Ranger?

In that case, is Champions of Ruin allowed?

VirOath
2010-05-26, 09:49 AM
Pretty much Everything And The Kitchen Sink style. It's all theory at this point, campaign but a very open style.

Danin
2010-05-26, 02:38 PM
Fun fact: Ranger spell casting rocks. Play a mystic ranger and pick up a copy of champions of ruin.

Shooting for minimal cheese, use a splitting bow, move your speed and cast arrowsplit (a swift action), splitting the arrow into 1d4 +1 arrows, all of which can apply skirmish.

Depending on how you interpret RAW vs RAI you'll either split all of those arrows due to splitting resulting in 1d4+1 X 2 (Though for a DM to agree to this you might as well throw all sense out the window now), split the arrow into two arrows that split again into 2d4+2 (Also unlikely) or split the arrow into a non magical copy and a magical one resulting in 1d4+2 (reasonable).

From there you are able to have a lot of fun. If you manage to find a way to get a 10ft step (discussed in another thread) you can instead use that remaining move action to cast double strike arrow, allowing for all those arrows to target another unfortunate soul within 30 feet. Allowing for a belt of battle to grant yet another move action, you could also cast one of my personal favorites, dark flame arrow, adding 2d6 onto each arrow and burning for another 2d6 for 2 more rounds, no save, that ignores fire resistance or immunity. And that is nowhere near totally optimized.

Or find another way to get a 10 foot step, cast arrowsplit twice (once with a belt of battle) and fire off 2d4+6 shots (assuming a splitting bow. More with rapid shot).

In the same book there is also shadow arrow, a swift action, that deals 1d6 strength damage and makes the attack a touch attack. Just sayin.

I friggin love rangers.

Il_Vec
2010-05-26, 02:49 PM
If everything-and-the-kitchen-sink is allowed, Travel Devotion and the ToB manuever Sudden Leap are good ways to move as a swift action to trigger Skirmish.

Ruinix
2010-05-27, 10:08 AM
Fun fact: Ranger spell casting rocks. Play a mystic ranger and pick up a copy of champions of ruin.

Shooting for minimal cheese, use a splitting bow, move your speed and cast arrowsplit (a swift action), splitting the arrow into 1d4 +1 arrows, all of which can apply skirmish.

Depending on how you interpret RAW vs RAI you'll either split all of those arrows due to splitting resulting in 1d4+1 X 2 (Though for a DM to agree to this you might as well throw all sense out the window now), split the arrow into two arrows that split again into 2d4+2 (Also unlikely) or split the arrow into a non magical copy and a magical one resulting in 1d4+2 (reasonable).

From there you are able to have a lot of fun. If you manage to find a way to get a 10ft step (discussed in another thread) you can instead use that remaining move action to cast double strike arrow, allowing for all those arrows to target another unfortunate soul within 30 feet. Allowing for a belt of battle to grant yet another move action, you could also cast one of my personal favorites, dark flame arrow, adding 2d6 onto each arrow and burning for another 2d6 for 2 more rounds, no save, that ignores fire resistance or immunity. And that is nowhere near totally optimized.

Or find another way to get a 10 foot step, cast arrowsplit twice (once with a belt of battle) and fire off 2d4+6 shots (assuming a splitting bow. More with rapid shot).

In the same book there is also shadow arrow, a swift action, that deals 1d6 strength damage and makes the attack a touch attack. Just sayin.

I friggin love rangers.

ranger 7/ factotum 8 / scout 5

use factotum for get iteratives move actions. pump int and get crazy.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-27, 10:10 AM
ranger 7/ factotum 8 / scout 5

use factotum for get iteratives move actions. pump int and get crazy.

How could you get enough spell slot that way?

Jeff240sx
2010-05-27, 10:14 AM
Psst...

Be a Fighter and take ranged feats.

Ruinix
2010-05-27, 10:30 AM
Psst...

Be a Fighter and take ranged feats.

fighter dont get awesome ranger spells.

stay on mistic ranger