PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Ways to get Improved Evasion

Choco
2010-05-25, 01:10 PM
Well, as the title says, what are all the ways to get Improved Evasion? The faster the better. So far the only ways I have seen have been in the later levels of 10-level prestige classes.

Optimystik
2010-05-25, 01:12 PM
From the Lists of Stuff: (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19871954/Lists_of_Stuff)

Improved Evasion
Monk 9
Ranger 9 (Shifter substitution level, Dex trait), Races of Eberron
Rogue 10/13/16/19 (special ability choice)
Shadowdancer 10, ECL 18 (DMG)
Master Thrower 2, ecl 7 (CW)
Dungeon Delver 4, ECL 11 (CA)
Nightsong Enforcer 8, ECL 15 (CA)
Nightsong Infiltrator 6, ECL 13 (CA)
Thief-Acrobat 5, ECL 10 (CA)
Extreme Explorer (ECS)
Yakuza 2 (OA)
Ninja Spy (OA)
Slayer of Domiel 6, ecl 11, Book of Exalted Deeds
Survivor 4, ecl 5, Savage Species
Initiate of Pistis Sophia 9, ECL 15 (BoED) - does not require evasion
Astral Dancer 6 (8), ecl 11 (13), Planar Handbook - first value in zero-G, bracket value in normal circumstances
Cipher Adept 7, ecl 14, Planar Handbook
Halfling Outrider 7, ECL 12 (CW) - also grants it to mount
Initiate of the Draconic Mysteries 6, ECL 11 (Draconomicon)
Loredelver 8, ecl 15 (Races of Destiny)
Night Mask Deathbringer 5, ecl 10 (FR:Champions of Ruin)
Shade Hunter 6, ecl 11, FR: Champions of Ruin
Swordsage 17, Tome of Battle
Aglarondan Griffonrider 8, ecl 15, FR: Unapproachable East - only while mounted
Dread Fang of Lloth 4, ecl ?, Drow of the Underdark

Choco
2010-05-25, 01:15 PM
That's exactly what I needed, thanks!

PId6
2010-05-25, 01:17 PM
I'm curious, why? Improved Evasion usually isn't very good; is there a PrC or feat that requires it?

(Also the list doesn't mention a way to do it at level 1: become a wizard/sorcerer's familiar. :smalltongue:)

Choco
2010-05-25, 01:23 PM
A combination of rolling 1's on reflex saves, a DM that loves AOE's, and players that love doing AOE's with me in the area....

Boci
2010-05-25, 01:28 PM
A combination of rolling 1's on reflex saves, a DM that loves AOE's, and players that love doing AOE's with me in the area....

Luck feats/ other abilities to reroll saves might be something to look into as well.

Machiavellian
2010-05-25, 01:29 PM
My d20 somedays I swear is numbered 1-10 twice whenever I NEED to make a save...

Prime32
2010-05-25, 01:31 PM
All you need to do is gain evasion twice. A rogue 2/monk 2 has it.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-25, 01:31 PM
Luck feats/ other abilities to reroll saves might be something to look into as well.

Also, the ToB Maneuver that lets you use Concentration... RAI suggests it still works with Evasion, but I don't recall if it says so RAW.

Greenish
2010-05-25, 01:33 PM
All you need to do is gain evasion twice. A rogue 2/monk 2 has it.It doesn't work like that, you're thinking of Uncanny Dodge.

PId6
2010-05-25, 01:35 PM
I'd recommend Luck feats, Luck domain, and spells like Alter Fortune over Improved Evasion as well. They're often more generally useful, they're usually easier to get, and, with Evasion and a good Reflex save, they'll usually protect you from the entire spell rather than just half of it.

Also, the ToB Maneuver that lets you use Concentration... RAI suggests it still works with Evasion, but I don't recall if it says so RAW.
It works by RAW too.

Weezer
2010-05-25, 01:38 PM
My d20 somedays I swear is numbered 1-10 twice whenever I NEED to make a save...

My D20 is always labeled 1-10 twice, did you forget to color in one set of numbers?

Boci
2010-05-25, 01:38 PM
It doesn't work like that, you're thinking of Uncanny Dodge.

Not helped by the fact that the master throwing PrC grants evasion and specifically states that if you already had it you gain the improved version.

I'd recommend Luck feats, Luck domain, and spells like Alter Fortune over Improved Evasion as well. They're often more generally useful, they're usually easier to get, and, with Evasion and a good Reflex save, they'll usually protect you from the entire spell rather than just half of it.

And it will help you against the save or suck/die spells that target fort and will.

Choco
2010-05-25, 01:45 PM
Sweet, I'll have to look in to that, thanks. I think I can dip 2 levels in fighter to get 2 of the martial feats out of the way, which leaves 2 lvlup feats open for luck...

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-25, 01:49 PM
Sweet, I'll have to look in to that, thanks. I think I can dip 2 levels in fighter to get 2 of the martial feats out of the way, which leaves 2 lvlup feats open for luck...

There's a Dragon Magazine (can't recall which one, I'm at work at the moment) which has a Fighter Variant ACF that replaces either the 2nd level or 4th level Fighter Bonus Feat with a type of Evasion that works in any Armor... just like the Divine Oracle version.

Glimbur
2010-05-25, 04:51 PM
Alternately, dip cleric for the Pride domain so you reroll nat 1's, possibly only on saves. Go Cloistered cleric and trade Knowledge for knowledge devotion for more bonuses, provided you're willing to spend the skill points.

nedz
2010-05-25, 05:13 PM
My D20 is always labeled 1-10 twice, did you forget to color in one set of numbers?

I once had a TPK which suprised me because it wasn't a tough encounter.
The cause: the parties main fighter used a d10 for the whole combat when he needed an 11 to hit :smallfrown:
I reran the encounter: it was easy.:smallsmile:

Curmudgeon
2010-05-25, 05:30 PM
Alternately, dip cleric for the Pride domain so you reroll nat 1's, possibly only on saves.
It is only on saving throws, and only once per die.

Choco
2010-05-26, 08:45 AM
It is only on saving throws, and only once per die.

Wow, that should work great actually. Would that mix with the ToB Diamond Mind maneuvers that let you take a concentration check in place of a save? Or for that matter, by RAW would Evasion still work? If you opt to take a concentration check instead of a reflex save and pass it, do you still take no damage?

PId6
2010-05-26, 01:42 PM
There's no reason why Action Before Thought shouldn't work with Evasion. Action Before Thought replaces a saving throw with a Concentration check. If you succeed the Concentration check, you successfully save. Evasion triggers when you successfully make a save. It doesn't matter how you saved, it only matters that you did. The two of them don't really interact all that much.

For Pride domain, however, I don't think that works with the ToB maneuvers by RAW. The ToB maneuvers replaces your save with a Concentration check, and since you're not rolling a saving throw, Pride domain's "When you roll a 1 on a saving throw" doesn't apply. However, note that you don't autofail a save if you roll a 1 on a Concentration check, so Pride isn't as necessary.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-26, 02:11 PM
Wow, that should work great actually. Would that mix with the ToB Diamond Mind maneuvers that let you take a concentration check in place of a save?
While Action Before Thought would work with evasion just fine because you "use the result of that check to determine the save’s success", Pride stipulates that it allows rerolls specifically on saving throws, so it wouldn't work on something that instead replaces a saving throw roll with a skill check roll.