PDA

View Full Version : 2 Handed Shield

Lev
2010-05-25, 02:56 PM
Is there already such a thing?
I was thinking of 2 tower shields that split apart and attach to a horse to create somewhat of a barding effect, each of the shields (or both when connected) have pitons on the lower side of them, a successful sunder check allows the player to slam them into the ground and form a temporary wall which a successful bullrush could break down, though if you were on the other side or other players were they could attempt to oppose the bull rush with a -2 penalty.

Generally I'm thinking of these shields to be rectangle, but the finished single shield to be pretty square, most likely dwarven as that would limit the height dimension need by a few feet and you're probably going to hit heavy load with almost any build.

KillianHawkeye
2010-05-25, 03:05 PM
I'm pretty sure that nothing like that exists.

Eldan
2010-05-25, 04:06 PM
Look up Duelling Shields, actually. They look a little like a shield held sideways with a lot of pointy things attached. Used as a weapon as well as a shield.

Johel
2010-05-25, 04:22 PM
A very large table ? :smallamused:
I bet if you have enough Strength to lift it, your DM might count it as giving you total cover. It would hold itself in place and you could argue that, since it takes you a lot of Strength to move the thing, it requires a lot from your opponent to move it out of the way to hit you.

More seriously, why two-handed ?
Just take a Tower Shield, stick it on the ground and use it for total cover. You can still move if necessary and your opponent cannot attack you with normal attacks, since you are behind total cover.
He must either destroy the shield, bullrush you, disarm you...or call a spellcaster. Yep. You are the wall, here.

Lorn
2010-05-25, 04:23 PM
Continuing from Eldan's post:

If you want actual historical references for these, then you're looking for duelling shields used in judicial combat. They DO exist, but not in the form that the OP was asking for AFAIK.

The standard duelling shield would have been about 6' long (based on illustrations), maybe 6.5' long. Consists of a central pole, spiked at either end, with a shield bit on. Used alongside either a club or a sword, depending on where you're coming from.

One of these things. (http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/pix/talhoffer_thrust_over_shield.gif)

The duelling shield is pretty nasty, intimidating, and also, it's for cissies: REAL men take a throated hooking shield ;) Think a combination of a the above shield, a double-bottom-end-ended cello, a fleur-de-lys, and some kind of strange Klingon weapon. Images of these are almost impossible to find.

However, from Scribd.com, comes this. (http://htmlimg2.scribdassets.com/1i4ygyp79c538bj/images/94-38d9a25030/000.jpg)

That what you were looking for?

Fhaolan
2010-05-25, 04:40 PM
I love those things. I need to build some for myself and mess around with it, just to see how they work in RL. The manuals are all nice and fine, but sometimes you just have to work with the tool to get a real 'feel' for it.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-25, 04:42 PM
Wow, that hooked sheild is frickin' awesome I want to build a character around one. Do you know much about their use?

I was thinking something like a spiked chain without reach; a double weapon that's good for tripping and shieldbash attacks. I was thinking that maybe it could be dual weilded for trip/trip, trip/shield bash or shieldbash/shieldbash following standard dual weapon rules but then get the two handed bonus on AoO's reflecting going for the killing blow.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-25, 04:49 PM
The Athasian Emporium (http://www.athas.org/products/AE) from athas.org (purveyors of a 3.5 edition of the Dark Sun campaign setting) has the Long Shield for Thri-Kreen: It's designed to be used by both hands on one side of the Kreen's body (Thri-Kreen have four arms). Humanoids can use it as a two-handed weapon, though, by holding it horizontally.

Stats:
{table=head]Shield | Cost | Shield Bonus | ACP | ASF | Weight
Long Shield | 20 gp | +3 | -4 | 20% | 10 lbs[/table]

It's shield bash is identical to a normal shield's, except that it's treated as a two-handed weapon for the purpose of your Str bonus to damage.

Shademan
2010-05-25, 05:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7dsFIlPj8

mid-part

Lev
2010-05-25, 07:41 PM
Thanks a bunch for the dueling shield links, it could also double as a chello!
Two-Handed chello dueling shield barbarian/bard. :smallamused:

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-05-25, 07:45 PM
Very cool doesn't seem contradictory to my analysis. With a few sharpened edges these could easily be bludgen/slash/pierce.

DragoonWraith
2010-05-25, 08:14 PM
If it was sturdy enough not to get overly damaged in a single hit, it wouldn't sound very good.

If it sounded good to begin with, it won't hit very hard and it won't sound good afterwards...

Of course, D&D has an obvious answer... magic.

Glimbur
2010-05-25, 08:26 PM
If it was sturdy enough not to get overly damaged in a single hit, it wouldn't sound very good.

If it sounded good to begin with, it won't hit very hard and it won't sound good afterwards...

Of course, D&D has an obvious answer... magic.

Magic cellos? Should we go solid body and magical amplification, or standard construction but magically toughened materials?

I only posted this to correct your spelling of cello. As a cellist, it's a pet peeve.

krossbow
2010-05-25, 08:37 PM
ask your dm if he'd houserule letting you use one in two hands. Think something thats more of a giant blade that also functions as a shield, like what the wing gundam from gundam wing used.

but not really, no, nothing official exists to my knowledge.