PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a job

Dr.Epic
2010-05-25, 05:18 PM
As the title says, I'm looking for a summertime job. I've filled out four applications. Two were over a week ago and I haven't heard back. I did another today but they said they just hired a bunch of people so I don't know. I did application online earlier. Not sure how that'll turn out. I also sent an email to an old high school friend's dad who works in publication asking for an internship. Did that earlier today and am awaiting a reply. I'm just looking for advice on where to look for jobs and what to say/do to help me get a job. I have no work experience and am just trying to find something to occupy my time this summer not to mention get some cash and have something to put one future application. I'm fine with whatever they pay me. So any advice out there?

monomer
2010-05-25, 05:36 PM
Depending where you live, your city should have a summer job agency for high school / college students. I would check out your city's website to see if they have any programs like this.

Even if you don't have any experience, I would highly recommend you make up a resume, and highlight any volunteer work you do, or any projects that you may have worked on at school. Don't lie on your resume, but don't be afraid to play-up even minor things you have done or contributed to.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-25, 05:40 PM
Even if you don't have any experience, I would highly recommend you make up a resume, and highlight any volunteer work you do, or any projects that you may have worked on at school. Don't lie on your resume, but don't be afraid to play-up even minor things you have done or contributed to.

Well, yeah I know to sort of embellish the truth a little. Like with the application I did today: I said I was organized and tidy which I can be but my room at home, well...

There was some volunteer work I did last December at college but they asked for a name of someone to put down to verify this and I wasn't sure who so I left it blank. I also did a lot of volunteer work in high school but again not sure who to put down.

Anyway, I'll take your advice and check to see if there's a town website for my city.

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-05-25, 11:37 PM
Go pound the pavement, and get as many applications from as many places as you can. You will have a greater chance of getting an offer for something, even if it's not the greatest or ideal place to work, it's still something you can probably suffer through for a few months.

golentan
2010-05-25, 11:45 PM
I was looking for almost a year before I found anything. There's still as many as 4-6 people for every opening, depending on where you are. You're going to need a lot more than four applications, especially now that other students are looking for summer work.

That said, good luck. If I may, I'd recommend looking for a lab assistant position, if you've got any experience in the sciences. Most reasonably sized population centers will have at least one or two places, and university students are often a good deal for them with the added benefit of looking good when looking for permanent employment or grad school (prior experience? Why yes, I do have quite a bit).

Serpentine
2010-05-25, 11:47 PM
1. Call them back. If a week or two has gone by with no response, call them up and badger them a bit. Whether you're applying for a particular job or just putting your resume in just in case, it'll keep you in their mind and show you're keen.
2. Track down those contacts for the volunteering. It's worth having.
3. Go over your cover letter, check that it's all proper. If you don't have one, make one. Customise them, if only a little, to the place you're taking the resume.
4. ...just keep trying, I guess.

Force
2010-05-25, 11:53 PM
Drop resumes off at all the local landscaping/lawnmowing companies and hit all the temp agencies.

IonDragon
2010-05-26, 12:18 AM
Drop off TONS of applications. TONS. I've never had good luck finding jobs on my own. I've basically always had jobs handed to me. The best way I've found jobs is make friends. Lots of friends. Make sure they're all aware you're looking for a job and have them put in a good word for you. My first job, my boss was a friend. My second boss was my friend's mom. There were a couple short jobs in between, all of which I found through friends and family.

rakkoon
2010-05-26, 03:23 AM
Are there any agencies that do that for you?
My first summer job was through such an agency.
It was cleaning trains.
BEST SUMMER JOB EVAR
It paid well, you were there for 8 hours and had to work for three hours. The rest of the time was spent playing cards and sitting in the sun.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 06:28 AM
It was cleaning trains.
BEST SUMMER JOB EVAR

Better than Angelina Jolie's bikini inspector?:smallwink:

rakkoon
2010-05-26, 06:37 AM
I got tired of that after the first few weeks :smallsmile:

A friend of mine did a summer job at Coca Cola, he had to look up for eight hours. If the machine at the ceiling stopped, he needed to push a button. The first day he pushed the button twice, the second day he quit. Combination of a bad back and complete, absolute, infinite boredom.