PDA

View Full Version : So my monitor isn't showing anything [Tech Support]

Ryuuk
2010-05-25, 06:00 PM
I had to move an old desktop to my dads workplace, but when I connected everything I ran into some problems:

1) First, the monitor showed nothing but a blank screen, its power led blinking on and off. The monitor was plugged into my cpu's default port, and it seems the error is with on the cpu's end, since unplugging it made the monitor show a "No Signal" error.

2) I tried to plug it into the video card slot, and lo and behold, the monitor took me to the XP loading screen and from there to what I though was my desktop. It has my same wallpaper, but no icons or start bar. the I remembered then whenever I hit [print screen] on that computer, I got a capture that looked something like this:

{table]Wallpaper|Desktop|Desktop|Desktop
Wallpaper|Desktop|Desktop|Desktop

Blank|Desktop|Desktop|Desktop

Blank|Desktop|Desktop|Desktop[/table]

When the computer was working properly, the monitor showed everything in the 'Desktop' area. Hitting [print screen] would show an image as above. My guess is that the little corner with 'Wallpaper' was what my video card was seeing. If I moved my mouse over the that corner it would get sucked in.

That little corner is probably what I'm seeing now that I have to connect the monitor to the video card. Anything I try to open when stuck in that corner does open, but in the 'Desktop' section, in the area to the right of what I'm seeing that I can't see.

---

Knowing all that, I'm kinda stumped as to what to do now. The problem seems to be with the computer's monitor port, but I don't know how to check it or what I would do if I found anything. Software wise, since I'm stuck in that little void in the corner when the desktop start I can't see anything I try to open.

Does the playground have any ideas? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

raitalin
2010-05-25, 06:20 PM
Often computers won't use the onboard video if there's a video card installed. Did you have it hooked up that way before?

If you want you can try changing which video the computer uses in BIOS or you can take out the video card.

Ryuuk
2010-05-26, 07:41 PM
I'd just like to say thanks. We bought the video card along with the computer, and I think we'd never actually turned it on with it. Well, I finally took it out and saw that the card's fan was broken. I'm not sure how much damage this was doing, but after it was out I plugged the monitor back to where to the default port, turned it on and it worked. It was back in the 'Desktop' area.

Once again, Thank You raitalin, I wouldn't have occurred to me to take out the card.