PDA

View Full Version : NED Character concepts

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-25, 06:57 PM
I am considering submitting a character for the NED, and I came up with these ideas:
Human
Dread Necromancer// Totemist 1
1 Tomb Tainted Soul
H Versatile Spellcaster

OR
Whisper Gnome
Warlock//Rogue
1 Blend into shadows

Access to almost all books ( I am just misssing a few Forgotten Realms one and maybe one Eberron one) so please go wild with suggestios, but bear in mind that I cooked this in the last 5 minutes.

Thanks in advance

gallagher
2010-05-25, 07:20 PM
good choice if you go with warlock rogue.i almost did, since in a few levels you can UMD and take 10, and your eldritch blasts attack on touch.

if you go that route, also make sure to get summon swarm, as they will help keep casters at bay

warlock crusader wouldnt be bad either

sofawall
2010-05-25, 07:31 PM
A well-built gestalt mainly seems to be either one side is primary and the other provides support (Wizard//Factotum) or the two sides have unusually good synergy (Warlock//Rogue being an example). Basically, ask yourself "What am I getting from the other side?". If the answer is "Not very much.", go somewhere else.

Also key is the action economy. Wizard//Cleric? Not bad, but you're only casting one spell a turn, and Cleric basically makes touch spells a bit easier to hit with and bumps HP up by 2 per level. Not bad, but Int to Init, Dex/Str checks, Extra Actions, big skills points and hitting with touch spells better (based on Int, even) is a better choice. Druid//Swordsage is a classic choice because Druid gives good Standards/Full rounds (Face Ripping, spells) and Swordsage offers plenty of boosts, using your swifts, as well as the always nice Wis synergy.

So, the second is "Sneaky high-damage touch attacks". What is the first?

Jarian
2010-05-25, 07:35 PM
OR
Whisper Gnome
Warlock//Rogue
1 Blend into shadow

This is a very solid build for the NED. You already have the basics of the build in place, just take two flaws for At Home In the Deep (can't sneak attack stuff with concealment from your magical darkness) and Darkstalker.

UMD wands of Lesser Vigor to keep yourself up. You should be able to clear the first few floors with no hiccups.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-25, 07:39 PM
@sofawall: first build skimmed through HoH and MoI saw that I could get all good saves and just had to post it.:smallredface:

Vizzerdrix
2010-05-26, 02:22 AM
I am unfamiliar with gestalt. is it possible to do two PrCs at one time?

Hmm... I wonder how a D. Necro// Artificer would fare.

sofawall
2010-05-26, 03:20 AM
I am unfamiliar with gestalt. is it possible to do two PrCs at one time?

Nope. Not allowed.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-26, 01:37 PM
How about this concept

Trap finding Spell-less ranger// Dread Necro
All good saves
Decent HD
Trapfinding (critical in the dungeon for what I have heard)
At will healing (tomb tained soul FTW)
Can wear Mithral breastplate (eventually) and therefor have a decent AC
Full BAB
High Skills

so what do you think?

candycorn
2010-05-26, 02:35 PM
What's a NED?

Il_Vec
2010-05-26, 02:39 PM
Never-Ending Dungeon. I think.

Lord of Syntax
2010-05-26, 02:40 PM
NeverEnding Dungeon.

EDIT: GORRAM NINJAS!

candycorn
2010-05-26, 02:50 PM
What's a "Never-Ending Dungeon. I think." ??

Il_Vec
2010-05-26, 02:50 PM
A play-by-post dungeon, if I recall correctly.

Greenish
2010-05-26, 02:52 PM
How about this concept

Trap finding Spell-less ranger// Dread Necro
All good saves
Decent HD
Trapfinding (critical in the dungeon for what I have heard)
At will healing (tomb tained soul FTW)
Can wear Mithral breastplate (eventually) and therefor have a decent AC
Full BAB
High Skills

so what do you think?I think that spells are good for you.

[Edit]: How about totemist//mystic wildshape ranger?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-26, 03:12 PM
I think that spells are good for you.

[Edit]: How about totemist//mystic wildshape ranger?
@:Spells: I originally choose spell-less ranger to avoid MAD; but now thst you put in in the table, I think that sword of the arcane order and Wildshape ranger might be a good idea.

Totemist//wildshape mystic ranger sounds fun, but since dragon magazine is banned I can't use mysthic ranger.

Also lesser aasimar sounds perfect for this build

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-26, 03:40 PM
If you are playing a Whispergnome, you may as well build That Damn Gnome with Rogue opposite it... Sorcerer or Illusionist (ban Evoc and Enchantment) then pick up the feats necessary to turn any illusion spell into any spell which is more than 100% real...

I like the Dread Necro//Totemist build, although maybe Dread Necro//Warblade might do better. This gives you the ability to use a Concentration check in place of a given save, which can be exceedingly handy. You also get Iron Heart Surge... yea. And just imagine the fun you could get into with War Leader's Charge/White Raven Tactics with a swarm of uber undead at your beck and call...

theterran
2010-05-27, 06:40 AM
What's a "Never-Ending Dungeon. I think." ??

It's a Gestalt Dungeon crawl...with 4 floors thus far (though only a few people have been able to complete floor 4)

It's a nice place to try out builds, try to break builds, etc...