PDA

View Full Version : Help on a gestalt glaivelock/cleric?

wisp_o_hagis
2010-05-25, 09:53 PM
Hey everyone heres my first post! :D anyways, im a big fan of giant in the playground and finally decided to join.
Books Complete arcane,adventurer, MoI (sinfire got my totemist banned for life ): ), every feat thanks to realms help, and whatever excerpts are out there!
I was wondering if i could possibly acquire some help with my character? I am playing solo, and would like all the help i can get, my goal is to really challenge my brother, the dm. We have a lot of fighting in our levels typically which is the reason for warlock. Important things!: i have DOUBLE hp, 1.5 times spells per day (bonus spells not included here), ignoring some alignment stuff if i can make a flavorful excuse for it, and a feat every level. We are starting at lvl 3 and i thus far have a NG warlock/ cloistered cleric. I am using the spontaneous divine caster variant and traded the extra divination spells added to my list for the d8 hd. (we dont play much divination)
I have an 18str,16dex,17con,18wis,13int,16cha. Its very much a highpowered solo campaign. my feats so far are divine metamagic, extend spell, persist spell, and x. Any feat suggestions or equipment suggestions? I plan on persisting divnine power obviously and possibly righteous might, any other combos you can think of? although wizard is generally superior to everything including the dm (especially in gestalt) would it be in my better interest to do so solo? Thanks ahead of time! ill check back regularly and during the day if my crackberry permits.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-25, 10:31 PM
If you are going with Warlock, you can dump Str, put the 13 into Str, the 18 into Charisma.

The answer to your problem is called 'Hellfire Glaivelock'.

Eldritch Glaive is a melee touch attack that deals your EB damage, with a weapon of reach.

Hellfire increases your damage output significantly, at a cost of 1 con damage per shot.

Solution to this is either a) dip a level of Binder for Naberous so you can heal 1 point of con damage per round, or b) cast Lesser Restoration on yourself whenever necessary

Then take a class called Legacy Champion. It advances class features of one of your classes. Choose Hellfire Warlock. It continues to advance the +2d6/level damage increase, giving you stupidly powerful Glaive attacks.

wisp_o_hagis
2010-05-25, 10:50 PM
Ah thanks for the reply. I originally was going hellfire lock i just forgot to mention it(: As for the str my brother is allowing str dmg on my attack and combined with my persisted spells, it should get pretty ridiculous. What book is legacy champion?

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-25, 11:00 PM
Ah thanks for the reply. I originally was going hellfire lock i just forgot to mention it(: As for the str my brother is allowing str dmg on my attack and combined with my persisted spells, it should get pretty ridiculous. What book is legacy champion?

My other suggestion is to ditch Cleric in favor of Druid. You don't need Divine Power when all you are making are touch attacks. However, a Dire Bear wielding a blade of pure coherent energy that burns with the fires of hell itself... that's just pretty damn cool.

gorfnab
2010-05-26, 12:27 AM
You don't need Divine Power when all you are making are touch attacks.
If you get iterative attacks from a high BAB you get iterative attacks with the Eldritch Glaive. So Divine Power is actually useful in that respect especially once you hit BAB 16+ for 4 attacks per round, touch attacks in this case thanks to the Eldritch Glaive.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-26, 01:32 AM
If you get iterative attacks from a high BAB you get iterative attacks with the Eldritch Glaive. So Divine Power is actually useful in that respect especially once you hit BAB 16+ for 4 attacks per round, touch attacks in this case thanks to the Eldritch Glaive.

Wildshape >>> one additional iterative attack. Particularly if you go Master of Many Forms...

Draz74
2010-05-26, 02:46 AM
Then take a class called Legacy Champion.

My "CHEESE ALERT!!!!!!" siren went off at this point.

(Note: Legacy Champion is not actually overpowered or ridiculous, as long as it's not used to advance classes beyond their normal maximum number of levels. However, I've never seen it actually used that way.)

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-26, 02:58 AM
My "CHEESE ALERT!!!!!!" siren went off at this point.

(Note: Legacy Champion is not actually overpowered or ridiculous, as long as it's not used to advance classes beyond their normal maximum number of levels. However, I've never seen it actually used that way.)

Consider the house rules in the OP... I don't think there'll be a problem...

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 07:48 AM
Wildshape >>> one additional iterative attack. Particularly if you go Master of Many Forms...

If you're going Glaivelock, you really want extra attacks with the Glaive, due to the amount of effort you're putting into it. Wildshape doesn't really tremendously synergise with that. Also, Cleric can get Polymorph through e.g. Spell-domain at decent speed, which allows them to keep up with Wildshape just fine.

@OP: Mite wanna consider DMM: Persist road given you'll have very decent Charisma. This compendium could be useful (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=1109.0). Too bad all the good Cleric PrCs are in other books, but you could utilize Thaumaturgist, or if you get Warlock to qualify, there's always Dweomerkeeper (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20040522a). Hold...back a lot with it (Supernatural Spell by RAW allows you to cast spells without GP or XP components; just use it to ignore SR and make them uncounterable and it's good enoguh) and it's still fine.

wisp_o_hagis
2010-05-26, 08:21 AM
Im already hittin the persist road, right now ive got shield of faith persisted;) When i made this character, i knew i had to cover a lot of bases. Damage, survivability, utility, etc. Imo i just dont think i can hit the as hard with a wild shaped druid. From 16th on i can reliably hit40+d6dmg plus all my strength on top of it. With a ring of haste(custom same price as blink ring) i can hit 5 times. I was considering getting the ToB maneuver that lets you keep attacking until you miss with negatives each time, but ill have to see if my character is actually able to. Again thank you for all your help! Any suggestions in regards to feats? I have 20 of them so i was thinking about going the fey bloodline mostly for dr and the s.a at the end.

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 08:45 AM
Any chance you'd get access to Spell Compendium? 'cause that would help out a lot (among others, it'd remove the need for Haste Ring as you'd be able to persist it on level 5 through Anyspell -> Swift Haste; also, you'd get Mass Lesser Vigor persisted, which gives you Fast Healing thus giving you eternal heal-ability).

As for feats, Extra Turning (x Many), Divine Spell Power, Power Attack (for your Glaive; with Touch Attacks, you'll get a lot outta it), Extra Invocation (you get way too few by default; picking few extra helps out a lot), Extend Spell, Quicken Spell, Reach Spell, Ocular Spell (especially if going Dweomerkeeper) and prerequisites (Dweomerkeeper requires Magical Training to enter without level dips, in addition to the normal prerequisites, unless DM allows you to enter with Invocations).

Then there's Spontaneous Domain Casting, Spellcaster Prodigy, and other generally useful feats of the sort. Some options, anyways. There's a lot.

EDIT: Warlock, right? Dip 1 level in Mindbender [Complete Arcane] for Telepathy, and take Mindsight. That'll be a lifesaver in one-player game as you can't afford to get blindsided, and sensing everything with intellect within 100' is pretty awesome.

wisp_o_hagis
2010-05-26, 09:04 AM
Ah the mindbender idea is great! Spontaneous domain isn't needed as I took the spontaneous caster variant ;)

Jeff240sx
2010-05-26, 10:40 AM
Cleric doesn't give you anything that you couldn't cast a scroll for via Warlock's UMD.

Druid, however, has Wildshape and another fighter in your party, for flanking bonuses. I'd pick that one, personally.

But yes, Bloodlines and Champion of Legacy = doom for Hellfire Glaivelock enemies.
You can *easily* run up to +22d6 Hellfire damage on top of your Eldritch Blast. With the immediate Hellfire Shield ability.
The build is
Warlock x / Binder 1 (or blow a feat) / Hellfire Warlock 3 / Warlock
//
Cleric 2 / Bloodline / Cleric 2 / Bloodline / Cleric 2 / Bloodline / Champion of Legacy

i'm pretty sure. I'm AFB right now :(

Also, try to get a Practiced Invoker feat houseruled. There's a Practiced Spellcaster for Arcane, Divine and Psionic classes. If you can get that, your build changes and the 3 bloodlines levels go to the Warlock side. That's another +2d6 EB damage from your 4 lost warlock levels (3 bloodline, 1 binder).