PDA

View Full Version : Detailed Maps of Settlements (For a zombie game)

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-25, 11:59 PM
I'm planning on running a short zombie-survival game soon, and hopefully tactical placement within the city will be important. Unfortunately, all the town maps I can find are either not detailed enough or too modern, and I doubt my map-making skills are up to the test.

I need a map (or three) that is detailed enough to show the individual streets and buildings of different sizes. I only need one, but an additional two would be nice as well.

They're smallish towns, maybe large villages. One is on the coast, and the other two are on grassy flatlands or large hills. The surrounding area is unimportant, as long as the innards of the map are detailed enough.

(I realize this is kind of a specific request, so feel free to drop any conditions you feel are unnecessary or too restricting, the detail is the most important part.)

DaedalusMkV
2010-05-26, 12:39 AM
I suppose I'd be willing to draw up some maps if you like. They'd be pencil and paper work, and generally speaking I'd like to avoid each map taking more than a single sheet of paper, but fictional cartography is something I thouroughly enjoy, and I believe I do a decent enough job of it. If you're interested send me a PM with a little bit more detail about the composition of the towns, and I'll have something back to you in 2-3 days.

Alternatively, there are a lot of small towns in Europe that are virtually identical now to what they were 300 years ago. One could, for example, take a map of Sensine, France, rename the streets and label a couple important buildings and have something approximating a medieval town.

Finally, there's a few decent stock maps available. For example:
Falcon's Hollow (http://paizo.com/image/content/GameMasteryModules/FalconsHallow.jpg)
Sand Point (http://paizo.com/image/content/RiseOfTheRunelords/Sandpoint.jpg)
Koppolex (http://www.stargazersworld.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/Koppollex_realistic_thumb.jpg)

These are all, of course, far prettier and higher quality than anything anyone will make custom for you. Especially the Paizo maps... :smalltongue:

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-26, 08:17 PM
I really wasn't looking for a custom map, though having one would be cool. I definitely wouldn't expect someone else to do that much work on my behalf, if I didn't need to. I was mostly just hoping for stock maps, like the three you pointed out. Unfortunately, those don't show the levels of detail I was hoping for, nor did anything else I could find. The modern maps of small towns is a good idea, and I may get a Google Maps printout of some.

If nothing else works, I'll let you know, Daedalus. Thanks for the offer! :smallsmile:

Deth Muncher
2010-05-26, 08:31 PM
Given that I too am working on a short zombie survival game, I'll let you know what I come up with when I finish drawing. :P

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-26, 08:42 PM
Hey, that'd be great. I meant to link to your thread, actually, but I forgot. :smallredface:

I'm definitely inspired in part by your thread.

Deth Muncher
2010-05-26, 11:35 PM
Hey, that'd be great. I meant to link to your thread, actually, but I forgot. :smallredface:

I'm definitely inspired in part by your thread.

D'aww, shucks. But THAT means you're partly inspired by SilverClawShift, since some of my inspiration came from her epic epic of epicness.

Fuzzie Fuzz
2010-05-26, 11:56 PM
Yes, SCS is definitely an inspiration as well. That was an epic campaign journal.