PDA

View Full Version : Dwarf or Orc <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 08:29 AM
In the following build, which would be the better?

Warblade 3/Swordsage 2/Master of ther Nine 5/Warblade 6/Swordsage 4

The goal is a Master of the Nine who carries (not wields) the Nine Swords

The truth being, the character would be LN, and a direct student of the Original Master (for the life of me, I cannot remember his fricken name)

and one last thing: Which Maneuvers/Stances are optimal?

Prodan
2010-05-26, 08:30 AM
Dwarf with IRON! HEART! SUUUUUUURGE!

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 08:31 AM
The original master of 9 was named Reshar.

As for the race choice, I always think dwarves look weird with swords... maybe an axe or hammer instead. So if swords are a requirement I'd go with the half-orc. But that's just me.

EDIT: Or Orc... not sure which.

Greenish
2010-05-26, 08:32 AM
Dwarf. Reshar.

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 08:32 AM
I'd say Water Orc(unearthed arcana). The stances and maneuvers are partially a flavor thing, but some good ones include Sudden Leap, Iron Heart Surge, and White Raven Tactics.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 08:36 AM
3 for Orc, 2 for Dwarf thus far.

And thanks. Renshar. I almost said Rombilar...

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 08:39 AM
I'd say Water Orc(unearthed arcana). The stances and maneuvers are partially a flavor thing, but some good ones include Sudden Leap, Iron Heart Surge, and White Raven Tactics.

Here is Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#waterOrcs), for reference.

And thanks. Renshar. I almost said Rombilar...

Reshar. No N :smalltongue:

AstralFire
2010-05-26, 08:50 AM
On that note, it's Robilar, not Rombilar.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:34 AM
so, do I have the right idea?

Seffbasilisk
2010-05-26, 11:40 AM
I'd personally go dwarf.

That aside, look at life-spans. Orcs are shorter-lived than humans, a Dwarf could easly have studied with the ancient masters and still take no aging penalties.

Carry everything. Still do maneuvers fine.

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 11:42 AM
I'd personally go dwarf.

That aside, look at life-spans. Orcs are shorter-lived than humans, a Dwarf could easly have studied with the ancient masters and still take no aging penalties.

Carry everything. Still do maneuvers fine.

On the other hand, an orc could be someone who has found peace of mind in the blade. To counter his otherwise aggresive nature.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:43 AM
On the other hand, an orc could be someone who has found peace of mind in the blade. To counter his otherwise aggresive nature.

Original Plan

Besides, on Oblivion, I play an Orc Crusader (Customized to add Destruction magic)

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 11:47 AM
Original Plan

Besides, on Oblivion, I play an Orc Crusader (Customized to add Destruction magic)

Was that sarcastic? By the life of me I can't tell. :smallbiggrin:

After all, it's the first thing I think of when I think of an orc swordsage.

Meh, I prefer a stealthy approach, was an archer with some, ehh, whatsitcalled chameleon spells. That was the first time I played it, other times I played as some other classes.

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-26, 11:49 AM
Half-orc/half-dwarf. You're a dorc.

Playing a Lawful-Neutral orc would lend itself well to being dragonborn, especially if you went water-orc. Dragons are known for vast life-spans, and being one of Bahamut's favored would certainly give you something to fight for.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:49 AM
Was that sarcastic? By the life of me I can't tell. :smallbiggrin:

After all, it's the first thing I think of when I think of an orc swordsage.

Meh, I prefer a stealthy approach, was an archer with some, ehh, whatsitcalled chameleon spells. That was the first time I played it, other times I played as some other classes.

not really.

Orcs are big, thuggish people. Nobody ever expects the big guy to sneak up on you, eh?

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:50 AM
Half-orc/half-dwarf. You're a dorc.

Playing a Lawful-Neutral orc would lend itself well to being dragonborn, especially if you went water-orc. Dragons are known for vast life-spans, and being one of Bahamut's favored would certainly give you something to fight for.

DM's made the Nine Divines from Oblivion into a pantheon. Considered that as my "Patron Deity." And even a normal orc makes a good Dragonborn-fodder (not as good a Mongrelfolk, but thats another thread)

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 11:52 AM
not really.

Orcs are big, thuggish people. Nobody ever expects the big guy to sneak up on you, eh?

I expect them to sneak up to me and failing miserably, actualy.

I second the Dworc, whatever madman suggested it. Someone should homebrew it! Bonus points if you get them to be born of two males, after all, that might explain there rarity!

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:59 AM
I expect them to sneak up to me and failing miserably, actualy.

I second the Dworc, whatever madman suggested it. Someone should homebrew it! Bonus points if you get them to be born of two males, after all, that might explain there rarity!

You never know...There may be one behind you at any time...

no! There aren't enough Grease spells on the planet to make that right. Much like how one PC is a Half-Sea Troll Half-Nixie.

AstralFire
2010-05-26, 12:01 PM
I went with a half-orc swordsage warrior-poet, myself.
http://www.rphaven.com/profile.php?user=Zhavier
(click the name)

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 12:04 PM
I went with a half-orc swordsage warrior-poet, myself.
http://www.rphaven.com/profile.php?user=Zhavier
(click the name)

Might rebuild the character into an Orc Crusader based on mine from Oblivion. Sorry for not understanding ToB y'all, but would Crusader eventually qualify for Divine Crusader?

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 12:04 PM
No, that's a mirror behind you.

Nah, it's fine, in the dark where no one else can see them. :smallamused:

Really though, an orc/dwarf race, born from two males? Gives a lot of opportunities for an angsty past! Not to mention squicky things. "My dads say I got the best of both of them, and I'm not sure if I like that."

Crusader would qualify easily. You meet all req's by level 7 even!

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 12:10 PM
Crusader would qualify easily. You meet all req's by level 7 even!

so Crusader 7/Divine Crusader 10/Crusader 3 is a good combo?

Lycanthromancer
2010-05-26, 12:14 PM
I second the Dworc, whatever madman suggested it. Someone should homebrew it! Bonus points if you get them to be born of two males, after all, that might explain there rarity!All dwarves are males anyway. Kind of like being on the internet.

And as for being the spawn of a homosexual relationship between one species and the other? Anything's possible in a world full of magic and mind-affecting drugs. I'm sure crack-babies happen occasionally.

Tar Palantir
2010-05-26, 12:17 PM
I vote dwarf, because dwarves are amazing, but YMMV.

Mongoose87
2010-05-26, 12:19 PM
Be an Orc and Iron Heart Surge away your stat penalties.

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 12:20 PM
I vote for Dragonborn Water Orc. Just because they're awesome and awesome.

Il_Vec
2010-05-26, 01:15 PM
I'd go Orc.
Just try to kneel and hit someone with a sword. Not stylish.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 01:17 PM
#1. Female dwarves exist. Female Dwarf Adventurers don't

#2. Cannot use UA races for this

#3. Is the build redundant?

Greenish
2010-05-26, 01:22 PM
#1. Female dwarves exist. Female Dwarf Adventurers don't.Of course they do, but since it's all but impossible to distinguish a female dwarf from a male it's a moot point.

And thinking it a bit more, I'd say that hobgoblin is the way to go. The original masters of Iron Heart, racial feat for spiked chains, the works. Also the posterboy for undeserved LA.

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 01:26 PM
Of course they do, but since it's all but impossible to distinguish a female dwarf from a male it's a moot point.

And thinking it a bit more, I'd say that hobgoblin is the way to go. The original masters of Iron Heart, racial feat for spiked chains, the works. Also the posterboy for undeserved LA.

DM says the LA stays. And besides, Orc is where its at

and I can tell the difference... ;)

Leon
2010-05-28, 12:13 AM
Of course they do, but since it's all but impossible to distinguish a female dwarf from a male it's a moot point.

Except when they start wearing Chainmail skirts and high heel boots

Runestar
2010-05-28, 12:32 AM
Isn't anyone going to point out that the OP's build is illegal as you need at least 7 class lvs before you can take master of nine?

Ferrin
2010-05-28, 01:00 AM
Isn't anyone going to point out that the OP's build is illegal as you need at least 7 class lvs before you can take master of nine?

Yeah, he wouldn't have enough feats without flaws either. I just assumed he didn't take the classes in that order. Shouldn't assume. :smallbiggrin:

Machiavellian, you're going to use the unarmed swordsage variant, right? Will save you one feat.

klemdakherzbag
2010-05-28, 02:19 AM
hehe, just remember that if you go for Dragonborn make sure to be Dragonborn of Akatosh not Bahamut

Machiavellian
2010-05-28, 08:10 AM
As for the USS, sure thing! Minus I basically am naked...

and yes, its a Dragonborn of Akatosh