PDA

View Full Version : What class can kill it with fire, even through Fire immunity ?

Grifthin
2010-05-26, 09:08 AM
Is there a prestige class that focusses on using fire to kill things very dead ? I mean even if the enemy has fire resistance or Fire immunity. Cut right through it and burn you to a crisp ? If not fire some other element ?

Prodan
2010-05-26, 09:10 AM
Hellfire Warlock

Sorcerer with Searing Spell

Sanctified One of Kord.

AstralFire
2010-05-26, 09:11 AM
Any spellcaster with Searing Spell or that feat from BoED that turns half damage to sacred damage. Combine both of them with Arcane Thesis. Exalted Arcanist with a Searing Spell Sudden Maximized Phoenix Fire would hurt like hell - 240 fire damage, all of it non-resistable. Of course, you lose a level for it...

Homebrew feat for Swordsages here: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5052525#post5052525

AmberVael
2010-05-26, 09:12 AM
Frost Mage can deal half damage to cold immune creatures, and ignore cold resistance.

Searing Spell metamagic allows you to do the same with Fire damage spells, and Piercing Cold does the same with ice damage spells.

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 09:19 AM
Pyrokineticists (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/prestigeClasses/pyrokineticist.htm) can literally Kill It With Fire (via Heat Death.) You don't even need a psionic class to get in - the right race or feat will do the trick.

By RAW, the death ability ignores fire immunity (though they would take no damage if they make the save.)

Mastikator
2010-05-26, 11:23 AM
Flame strike doesn't even need any metamagic, it's 50% divine fire as is. So any cleric level 9 or more.

AslanCross
2010-05-29, 07:31 PM
Silver Pyromancer, Eberron Five Nations. You lose a total of two caster levels since you need Turn Undead to get in (one level of cleric) and the first level doesn't give CL increase. However, its pyromancer class feature makes your caster level for fire spells = your HD, so you can still burninate stuff as effectively as a similarly-leveled wizard. Besides, you're still an arcane caster.

At 2nd level, it basically turns all of your spells into flame strikes---everything deals half fire, half sacred damage. Its mid-level ability allows you to deal +50% more damage against evil creatures, and this stacks with Empower.
Silver Pyro's 5th-level capstone allows you to turn all of your fire damage into sacred damage!

Bonus: You can also pick paladin spells for your level up spells. Holy Sword at lv 8? Yes please.

Drawbacks: You must be lawful good and are bound by a looser version of the paladin code of conduct (Ceasing to be lawful good and willfully committing an evil act make you fall and you need to atone. You lose access to your paladin spells, but you can still use your arcane spells.)

PId6
2010-05-29, 07:37 PM
Silver Pyromancer, Eberron Five Nations. You lose a total of two caster levels since you need Turn Undead to get in
One level of Sacred Exorcist gets you Turn Undead without losing CL. It even fits the flavor quite well, though it takes a bit longer to get in Silver Pyromancer.

AslanCross
2010-05-29, 07:56 PM
One level of Sacred Exorcist gets you Turn Undead without losing CL. It even fits the flavor quite well, though it takes a bit longer to get in Silver Pyromancer.

Good call. On the flip side, a cleric dip gets you Domains.

Heliomance
2010-05-29, 08:04 PM
Also Sanctified One of Kord (Complete Champion)

Hawriel
2010-05-29, 09:16 PM
Flame strike doesn't even need any metamagic, it's 50% divine fire as is. So any cleric level 9 or more.

First thing that jumped in my mind.

Wings of Peace
2010-05-29, 09:29 PM
Personally I'd take Sanctified One of Kord before Silver Pyromancer if all I wanted was the Fire Kills All power. It seems more straight to the point and costs less CL

DragoonWraith
2010-05-29, 09:33 PM
Personally I'd take Sanctified One of Kord before Silver Pyromancer if all I wanted was the Fire Kills All power. It seems more straight to the point and costs less CL
Silver Flame Pyromancer does have a number of other quite nice bennies though.

And, if your DM rules that Turn Undead and Rebuke Undead are the same for requirements and class features, and you either mess with your alignment or the DM waives it, it can do stupid things with Dread Necromancer. Like Rebuking Undead as a 39th level Cleric pre-Epic.

Optimystik
2010-05-29, 09:37 PM
Adding to Pyrokineticist - did I mention Heat Death is at-will, unlimited use? They will fail their save eventually...

Darrin
2010-05-29, 10:38 PM
Good call. On the flip side, a cleric dip gets you Domains.

So does the Planar Touchstone feat linked to the Catalogs of Enlightenment. Costs a feat, but keeps your caster level intact.

NEO|Phyte
2010-05-29, 10:58 PM
Adding to Pyrokineticist - did I mention Heat Death is at-will, unlimited use? They will fail their save eventually...

Not ENTIRELY at-will, it does require you to expend your psionic focus.

SaintRidley
2010-05-29, 11:24 PM
A Shameless self-plug for the Infernal Pyromancer. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7965439)

Hendel
2010-05-29, 11:30 PM
Is there a prestige class that focusses on using fire to kill things very dead ? I mean even if the enemy has fire resistance or Fire immunity. Cut right through it and burn you to a crisp ? If not fire some other element ?

I really love the high level Sorcerer with Searing Spell and Orb of Fire.

If you can combine this with Arcane Thesis, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Twin Spell, Enhance Spell (Epic), Improved Metamagic (Epic) and then start getting funky with Greater Arcane Focus, you can lay down some massive heat with no SR, no save, and half damage to those with immunity to fire and all you need is a ranged touch attack. Powerful stuff here!

Hida Reju
2010-05-30, 12:25 AM

If you can combine this with Arcane Thesis, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Twin Spell, Enhance Spell (Epic), Improved Metamagic (Epic) and then start getting funky with Greater Arcane Focus, you can lay down some massive heat with no SR, no save, and half damage to those with immunity to fire and all you need is a ranged touch attack. Powerful stuff here!

I like Channeled Pyrobolt from PHBII it lets me scale with casting time. Need a swift blast you have one, need a standard action you have one, got time for setting an ambush full round or greater then its all good. Maxes at 10D10 I believe before metamagic.

Optimystik
2010-05-30, 04:14 AM
Not ENTIRELY at-will, it does require you to expend your psionic focus.

So find a way to take a Move action and a Full-attack action repeatedly. Or alternate rounds. :smallsmile:

Volthawk
2010-05-30, 04:20 AM
So find a way to take a Move action and a Full-attack action repeatedly. Or alternate rounds. :smallsmile:

Sounds like Marshall has a use now :smallbiggrin:.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-05-30, 04:35 AM

I think a Hellfire Glaivelock would still end up doing more damage, at least against normally immune critters. At least if you used progression cheese.

Fizban
2010-05-30, 04:36 AM
Planar Sorcerer Substitution level (Planar Handbook) is also great. For the low low cost of one low level spell known, you can replace half the energy damage of any spell you cast with force damage (not that force is actually a damage type, but that's not the point). You can't use it on your highest level spells, but your highest level spells shouldn't be blasting anyway, that's what metamagic is for.

Combine with Searing Spell, Piercing Cold, or Consecrate Spell to guarantee 3/4 of your damage ignoring energy resistance. Sure there are spells that deal untyped damage, energy damage looks cooler and lots of energy spells have extra effects you might want.

The prestige class that focuses on one energy type is Elemental Savant (Complete Arcane). Unfortunately the one thing that it needs to do, ignore energy resistance, is completely absent. It turns all your energy spells into your chosen energy, which makes you completely useless against anything that is resistant, but that also means you can use any energy spell you want with Searing Spell/Piercing Cold, and with Planar Sorcerer you can still get 3/4 max in. The other problem is that you lose 2 caster levels in return for some measly static bonuses and elemental type. The only energies worth picking are air and earth for the 100' perfect fly speed or earth glide capstone, but what a surprise, there's no "piercing" feat for lightning or earth. That doesn't stop you from using Consecrate or Desecrate Spell, but even though they work just fine against any alignment they still imply more dedication than you might want to something other than fire.

Another prestige class than can alter energy damage into something else is Daggerspell Mage. It gets the ability to change half the energy into slashing damage (still from a spell source so it ignores DR), but it's a rogue/wizard hybrid class so it looses focus, and most importantly, is not dedicated to fire.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-05-30, 04:42 AM

If you can combine this with Arcane Thesis, Empower Spell, Maximize Spell, Twin Spell, Enhance Spell (Epic), Improved Metamagic (Epic) and then start getting funky with Greater Arcane Focus, you can lay down some massive heat with no SR, no save, and half damage to those with immunity to fire and all you need is a ranged touch attack. Powerful stuff here!It gets better with Incantatrix. Pick up Ocular Spell and Split Ray on top of your other damage-enhancing metamagic feats (empower, twin, max, searing, et cetera), get a custom item of Spellcraft, and all of a sudden you're firing off 8 high powered eye lasers of doom all at once. Pick up invisible spell (for -1 metamagic with AT) and you're basically blowing people up by glaring at them. Since you're a sorcerer, you can be firin' your lasers and then chargin' your lasers every battle. Look up the Mailman.