PDA

View Full Version : Creating "Murder Princess"?

Tyger
2010-05-26, 09:47 AM
I am setting up a high powered, level 20 game, as a one off (maybe two off) game for my regular gaming group, mostly to give our regular DM a bit of time off, and to let the players flex their high level muscles.

So far, we have a Dread Necromancer (yeah, he knows it not the high powered monster he wanted, but he wants to be a lich), a Wizard / Ur Priest / Mystic Thurge (again, not the most terrifying concept, but I think Mystic Thurge gets a bad rap due to low level usage - at level 20 it should be interesting), and Druid (probably PrCing into Horizon Walker). All three are taking cohorts (a death knight, half-dragon troll warblade, and one to be announced), so there will be a glut of carnage at the table.

A new player has asked to play a melee character, based upon Murder Princess... essentially a TWFer, in no armour, with huge defensive abilities while also maintaining the ability to slay things.

My first thought was a Swordsage, specializing in Tiger Claw manuevers... any thoughts on how to a) make this work, and b) not make him feel completely overshadowed by the three full casters? Normally our casters play "team friendly" casters (i.e. buffing the melee and the like so as not to steal all the limelight) but in this game, I can see it being a problem.

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-26, 09:50 AM
Why not do the same thing with Warblade? That should boost your power a little right there.

Choco
2010-05-26, 10:00 AM
I would say mostly Warblade levels, a dip in Barbarian for rage and fast movement, equipped with a glammered mithral breastplate (hey, it only has to LOOK like the char is not wearing armor!).

The Glyphstone
2010-05-26, 10:11 AM
Mystic Theurge gets a bad rap because, as you mentioned, it's horrifically crippling at lower levels - at high levels, and especially when combined with a fast-advancement class like Ur-Priest, it's Wizard Plus Divine Magic, which can only be good.

Wizard 10/Ur-Priest 3/Mystic Theurge 7 still gets him double 9's, at CL17 for the wizard and either CL15 or CL19 for the Ur-priest depending on your lactose tolerance.

I don't know the anime referenced here, but if it's a TWFer, then Warblade is a better choice - Swordsage lends itself much better to a mobility-based fighter, with its access to Setting Sun, Shadow Hand, and Desert Wind.

Tyger
2010-05-26, 10:23 AM
Should note that I am houseruling Swordsage and monk as full BAB classes.

Ranos
2010-05-26, 10:23 AM
Be careful with your maneuver choices if you do decide to go with a tob classes. Most strikes can't be used along with TWF. Boosts and counters, on the other hand, usually work fine.
Personally, I'd add a level or two of barbarian for some whirling frenzy/pounce and find some source of extra damage.

lsfreak
2010-05-26, 01:58 PM
Be careful with your maneuver choices if you do decide to go with a tob classes. Most strikes can't be used along with TWF. Boosts and counters, on the other hand, usually work fine.
Personally, I'd add a level or two of barbarian for some whirling frenzy/pounce and find some source of extra damage.

Yup, strikes tend to be subpar for TWF, except for a few of the highest-level ones (Time Stand Still especially). Boosts and damage-boosting stances are excellent, though.

My favorite non-precision-TWF'er is warblade/barbarian/bloodclaw master making use of Robilar's Gambit + Stormguard Warrior. If they're starting at 20th though, straight Swordsage could be very good though - Dual Boost for Raging Mongoose + Windmill Flesh Rip + Wolf Pack Tactics (stance) is very good, for example.

Aron Times
2010-05-26, 02:12 PM
I thought the OP wanted to recreate this:

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Joseph_Silver/Code%20Geass/bloody_princess_euphemia.jpg

Geass Gone Wild!

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-05-26, 02:23 PM

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee136/Joseph_Silver/Code%20Geass/bloody_princess_euphemia.jpg

Geass Gone Wild!
Disturbing, to say the least.

P.S. Spoiler that for any who haven't seen that far in the series?

Spiryt
2010-05-26, 02:28 PM

Geass Gone Wild!

Square barrel?