PDA

View Full Version : Divine Crusader Question <3.5>

Machiavellian
2010-05-26, 11:45 AM
Is this a good class? I mean, full BAB, Full clerical casting with some Paladin spells, and some astounding flavor. And yet, i never see it in builds. Why is that?

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 12:18 PM
It's fine, but limited on spell list (they only cast spells from one domain!). With some work and savvy optimization, you can expand it to a relevant amount and gain enough bonus spells to make the spellcasting worthwhile, but out-of-box you tend to only get 4-5 spells you really want in the Domain you are going for.

Miracle, Anyspell, Greater Anyspell and company are the kinds of spells you really want; something that allows you to do more than just what the one spell offers. And of course, some of the better buffs like Giant Size and company. Stuff that gets you extra Domains, extra spells, customized domains and such tends to be more worthwhile.

EDIT: And it's not full BAB.

gorfnab
2010-05-27, 01:13 AM
Take a look into the Sovereign Speaker prestige class from Faiths of Eberron. It pairs very nicely with Divine Crusader. Crusader (ToB) 7/ Divine Crusader 1/ Sovereign Speaker 9/ X 3 (mix of one level each of Sacred Exorcist, Divine Oracle, War Priest, Contemplative, more Crusader, or any prestige class that gives you +1 casting and another domain).
If you can't make a decent spell list out of 11+ domains you're not trying hard enough.

Keld Denar
2010-05-27, 01:45 AM
I tried it in a build once (Pal5/Fighter2/DC2/OrdChamp4/FoRaz7). Started at level 10. The worst problem with DC that I noticed is that your CL is CRAP. At least with Suel Arcanamach, a similar PrC, you get a bonus to your spells to resist dispels and an ability that augements duration. My DC spells were totally crap. Fly lasted for too short to be effective, same with Longstrider, for the whole 2 times I could cast it. Spiritual Hammer, a rather lackluster spell to begin with, was impotent, and even Magic Vestiments couldn't get past the +1 I already had on my armor. I couldn't even get TO the +1...thats bad.

Sure, you can nab Practiced Spellcaster, but you are still 3 CLs behind, at least. It needs some ability like AbjChamp's that makes your CL equal to your BAB at 1st level. That would start you at CL7 at ECL8 at least.

The Cat Goddess
2010-05-27, 02:12 AM
Crusader-1/Fighter-2/Warblade-2/Pious Templar-1/Crusader-1/Divine Crusader-1/Soveriegn Speaker-1/Divine Oracle-2/Soveriegn Speaker-2/Sacred Exorcist-1/Soveriegn Speaker-2/Contemplative-1/Soveriegn Speaker-2
Final level can be Soveriegn Speaker for another Domain, Crusader or Warblade for another Maneuver or Ordained Champion.

Unfortunately, the Planning Domain isn't available by RAW for Soveriegn Speakers... You can get it via Contemplative, but I picked Travel instead.

Feats:
1= Extra Granted Maneuver
1= (Human) Well Read
1= (Flaw) Skill Focus: Religion
1= (Flaw) Extend Spell
2= (Fighter) Weapon Focus: Longsword
3= Knowledge Devotion
3= (Fighter) Combat Reflexes or Power Attack
6= True Believer
9= Worldly Focus
12= Spontanious Domains
15= Divine Metamagic (Extend Spell)
18= Practiced Spellcaster, Divine Crusader

Machiavellian
2010-05-27, 07:51 AM
Considering the following:

Water Orc Dragonborn of Akatosh (Heart or Mind)
Paladin (Mystic Fire Knight) 6/Divine Crusader of the Nine Divines 2/Sovereign Speaker (using the Nine Divines instead of the Sovereign) 8/Contemplative 2/Church Inquisitor 1/Divine Oracle 1

Using my mastery of Divine Magic (Paladin Spells, and 12 cleric domains), I will serve the Nine until my dying breath! (Based on my Oblivion Character, minus the Oblivion version's a Vampire)