PDA

View Full Version : DND opinion 3.5

deephelldragon
2010-05-26, 12:41 PM
In your opinion what is the best base race,class,and spells this is just your opinion, I think that my favorite race would be Elf my favorite class would be wizard and my favorite spell would be animate dead. that is just an example if you want to put more you can but I was just showing what I meant.

Ferrin
2010-05-26, 12:48 PM
My favorite class would be the binder, I just love the fluff. The mechanichs are pretty nice too, allowing for lots of customization and allowing for at-will effects most people can't have. I hate the vancian casting system but I like versatility and cool effects, as well as a bit of occult mixed in. My second vote goes to psion, I love the way psionics work in 3.5 due to there fluidity.

My favorite race is Elan. Just like there fluff and immortality. To bad they don't work that well together with binders.

My favorite spell? Hard one, I don't use spells that often, I'd say it would be... Extract Water Elemental, from the Spell Compendium. Not because it's good, far from it, but because I so love the flavor of it.

Dogmantra
2010-05-26, 01:03 PM
Favourite race has to be the Half-Orc. They're so unloved. And they're awesome. Well, the ones that don't go into the whole "ME MURDER YOU IN FACE NOW" and are more "Hi there. Um... please stop stabbing me you big ol' racist?"

Favourite class... that's easy too. Psychic Warrior. Love 'em.

As for spells, I don't really use them that much, but I love a bit of Expansion which is sort of like a spell in as much as it's a psionic power. Someone growing huge because they think they should be is just amazingly cool.

Superglucose
2010-05-26, 01:09 PM
Best? Probably Strong-heart Halfling, Wizard, and Gate.

Favorite? Probably Human, Wizard, and Ennervation.

candycorn
2010-05-26, 01:11 PM
I like Orcs, druids, and Entangle.

hangedman1984
2010-05-26, 01:12 PM
Fav race: Raptorals, all thw awesomeness of elves, but with wings!!

Fav class: probably a toss up between psion or warlock

Fav spell: black tentacles, squiddly doom!!!

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-26, 01:13 PM
Human Cleric; Prestidigitation.

Greenish
2010-05-26, 01:17 PM
My favourite race are xephs. (Or is the plural still "xeph"?)

As for class, hmm. I think I'll go with beguiler, though factotum, warblade and cleric get special mentions.

Favourite spell is easy: Glibness.

Prodan
2010-05-26, 01:17 PM
Warforged; Warlock; War Cry

Xallace
2010-05-26, 01:18 PM
I gotta love the goliath; they aren't utilized much 'round here, and I find it hard not loving giant, ever-competitive mountain men with zebra stripes of destiny.

Class is either sorcerer or dread necromancer. Although I wish they gave sorcerer less of a draconic bent and focused more and giving 'em a wilder-esque surge mechanic.

Favorite spells are Prestidigitation, Stick, and Thunderlance. The first is just great, and I wish I could use at-will like in 4E; the second is also a cantrip, one that takes an object of light weight and just sticks it to something else; and the third is an extendable Monkey King lance of force that lasts a whole encounter, deals nice damage (2d8 + Cha), and dispels certain [Force] effects on a hit.

Il_Vec
2010-05-26, 01:24 PM
1st : Orc Barbarian Righteous Might Leapattackshocktrooperfrenziedberserker

Close second:
Human Wizard Disintegrate.

My favorite concept is the Gish.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-26, 01:34 PM
Favorite Race: Shifters
Class: Toss up between rogue & swordsage
Spell: Shape change

DragoonWraith
2010-05-26, 01:34 PM
I love dual-progression classes; the Ultimate Magus is probably my favorite. Favorite spell is probably Charm Person.

Greenish
2010-05-26, 01:37 PM
Class: Toss up between rouge & swordsage
Let's have a look, maybe it'll help you to choose: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/images/Le%20Rouge.png
vs.
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/gladius/art-014.jpg

I'd go with Swordsage, personally.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-26, 01:40 PM
Let's have a look, maybe it'll help you to choose: http://www.mimifroufrou.com/scentedsalamander/images/Le%20Rouge.png
vs.
http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/gladius/art-014.jpg

Stupid typos... need to fix that

...and yeah probably swordsage

CockroachTeaParty
2010-05-26, 01:43 PM
My favorite race are thri-kreen, my favorite class is psion, and my favorite spell is Mordenkainen's Magnificent Mansion.

Amphetryon
2010-05-26, 01:44 PM
Killoren. Warlock. Acid Fog.

raitalin
2010-05-26, 02:05 PM
Human, Factotum, Ruby Ray of Reversal

I can't get enough versatility.

Kaiyanwang
2010-05-26, 02:09 PM

*Looks at the pictures with attention* Hard call, man. Hard call.

Race: Elf

Class: Druid

Spell: Shadow Landscape.

This, today. Tomorrow, I don't know.

golentan
2010-05-26, 02:10 PM
Goblin. Binder.

I love the fluff of the goblins, maybe it's just me. And Binder has an aura of Mystique to it that just is awesome, and the implication that it is accessible to anyone who's willing to put the time into learning about the vestiges is pretty cool. I played in a campaign once where I basically was the dark one: Used my awesome goblininess to raise an army and carve out a kingdom in the foothills for my people, using "forbidden magics" (binding) to secure and stabilize it.

lsfreak
2010-05-26, 02:15 PM
Human. Call me crazy, but I hate almost all the race-specific fluff of default D&D, and prefer entirely culture-based fluff. You could throw out (almost all) races and simply call them different human cultures, and you change very little (and get rid of the annoying "They're orcs! We can kill them!" mentality).

Binders. Fluff is amazing and the mechanics are strong enough to back it up as a solid class. Close seconds are warblades and psychic warriors.

Favorite PrC is a tossup between several ones from the later set of Completes. Unseen Seer, Ultimate Magus, Eldritch Theurge, Ordained Champion, Paragnostic Apostle. Swift Hunter, if it counts as a "PrC."

Favorite spell? One of Enervation, Freezing Fog, Haste, Avascular Mass.

IcarusWings
2010-05-26, 02:16 PM
Half-Giant

Incarnate or Warblade

No idea about spell, maybe Shadow Evocation?

Curmudgeon
2010-05-26, 02:16 PM
Human (for the extra feat and skill points), Rogue (because I love the ability to make a middling class better if you've got access to the necessary 21 sourcebooks :smallcool:), and Silence (because it messes up spellcasters quite wonderfully for a low-level spell).

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 04:15 PM
Non-psionic

Favorite Race: Illumians! Why yes, that IS a neon sign circling my head, thanks for asking :smallwink:

Favorite Class: Archivist. In the midst of raining magical death on the enemy, I can calmly tell the mere mortals of the party where they should be aiming their shivs and pointy sticks for best effect. :smallsmile:

Favorite Spell: Miracle. ("HELP!" Exactly what a 9th should be.)

Psionic

Favorite Race: Synad. If two heads are better than one, how about three?

Favorite Class: Ardent - the best marriage of fluff and power in the game.

Favorite Power: Can't choose! Too many good ones. Maybe Hustle for versatility.

Octopus Jack
2010-05-26, 04:21 PM
Favorite race: Gnome, because I pretty much am one. Second favorite Halfling

Favorite class: Either Hexblade, Archivist or Dragonfire Adept. Probably in that order actually.

Favorite Spell: Mass Hold Monster or Displacement

Starscream
2010-05-26, 04:45 PM
I adore halfling rogues. They're not the most powerful (though you can have good fun with Confound the Big Folk) but I love playing them. And I'm not going to go with that Faerun subrace that gets the bonus feat either. Screw optimization, I like my +1 to saves just fine, thank you.

Mastikator
2010-05-26, 04:49 PM
Humans, or maybe kobolds, or maybe orcs or hobgoblins.

Class? Either barbarian or wizard.

Spell? Charm Person. Love the spell, I always find uses for it. Good uses.

Scipio
2010-05-26, 04:50 PM
Race: Human
Class: Wizard
Spell: Slow

Piedmon_Sama
2010-05-26, 04:55 PM
My favorite class is definitely... either Fighter or Rogue. The two classes least tied down by fluff/flavor concepts, allowing them to be almost anything you want.

Race, well, almost all my PCs are humans. I feel if you're going to play a PC who's inhuman, it has to be a large, defining part of who they are or you're in Funny Forhead Aliens territory. That said, I also enjoy playing Orcs, Half-Orcs and other bruiser-type races.

EDIT: I don't really have a favorite spell, but when I was a kid playing D&D with my friends we'd get a kick out of saying "magical missile!" and "sleeep, sleeep!" out loud in the goofiest voices we could.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 05:09 PM
Favorite Class: Druid (though barbarian is a close second)
Favorite Race: Dwarf
Favorite Spell: not sure, probably one of the illusion ones.

Lateral
2010-05-26, 05:17 PM
My favorite race is Half-Orc, class is Dragonfire Adept, and spell is Time Stop. It's just so... Matrix...

Jair Barik
2010-05-26, 05:26 PM
Race: Kobold
Class: Psion
Spell: Prestidigation
and Power (cause I can): Cranial deluge. Cause nothing says psychic like exploding a guys head with your mind :smallbiggrin:

DarkEternal
2010-05-26, 05:26 PM
Favorite race in fantasy in general, dwarves. They are just awesome. There's nothing more really to say except that I admire almost all of their qualities and understand almost all of their drawbacks.

Favorite class: Usually wizards in fantasy, however like most casting classes in DnD, their absurdity in power jumps turns me off. Same with druids and clerics. Wizards deserve to be the most powerful ones, they work hard for it, but really, later on, a wizard can do every single thing making the party unecessary.

Incan Road
2010-05-26, 05:29 PM
Favorite Race: Dwarf, mainly for the cool names and fun, annoying, voices.
Favorite Class: Dwarven Defender or Cleric
Favorite Spell: Anything starting with Bigsby, and ending with anything a hand can do.

Kroy
2010-05-26, 05:29 PM
Classes: ToB and Beguiler. Charm Person I can choose 4 classes.
Race: Raptoran
Spell:Prestidigitation

PId6
2010-05-26, 05:43 PM
Favorite Race: Human, since it goes with everything
Favorite Class: Sorcerer, though I have a soft spot for Warlock and Swordsage
Favorite Spell: Arcane Fusion
Favorite Maneuver: Mighty Throw
Favorite Invocation: Fell Flight
Favorite Power: Astral Construct
Favorite Soulmeld: Strongheart Vest

Fouredged Sword
2010-05-26, 06:50 PM
Race: Lizardfolk
Class: Soul Eater
Spell: Fell Drain Magic Missile

Greenish
2010-05-26, 06:52 PM
Race: LizardfolkVanilla, Poison Dusk or Blackscale?

onthetown
2010-05-26, 08:45 PM
Favourite Races: Elves, half-elves, and Dragonlance's Irda. I also like eladrin enough that my DM let me play one in 3.5... I have a weakness for all the celestial-y stuff, too.

Favourite Classes: Bards and enchantment- or necromancy-focused wizards.

Favourite Spells: Dalamar's Lightning Lance (Dragonlance), Rainbow Blast (Spell Compendium), Charm Person, Bestow Curse, and Confusion.

Sc00by
2010-05-26, 08:55 PM
race; Half Dragon Centaur (because +16 to STR and 4 dragon Hit dice makes hitting things FUN)
Class; Druid (but not of the above race)
Spell; Magic Missile. (a fell drained one)

GenPol
2010-05-26, 09:17 PM
The most powerful combos have been repeatedly mentioned, so I'll just put down my favorites.

Race: Human. I just like the idea of starting ordinary, at the same point as everybody else, and then rising up through the worlds ranks. I also like shifters, kobolds, and trogs, but Humies would have t be my favorite.

Class: Hmm, that's a tough one. I actually like the expert NPC class because it's great for abusing the skill system fun for the same reasons as the human. Besides that, I enjoy more or less all melee classes (yes, even ToB), the Cleric because it's more easily customizable than other classes. If we bring Pathfinder into this debate however, I love all Pathfinder classes fairly equally.

Spell: Hmm, another toughie. I'd probably have to go with Prestidigitation, just because there are so many fun things you can do with it, and maybe Create Silent Image combined with Ventriloquist, or Throw Voice. Rope Trick is another fun one, as is Create Trap.

EDIT: I need to go to bed, I can't spell right now.

Thurbane
2010-05-26, 10:37 PM
Favorite race = Human. Boring, I know. 2nd fave would probably be Dwarf. Honorable mention to Yuan-ti pureblood.

Favorite class = Binder. Honorable mentions to Favored Soul and Beguiler.

Favorite spell = Alter Self. Not from the cheese/power factor, but I just love the versatility it can offer, for a 2nd level spell.

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 10:56 PM
I'd probably have a new answer every day, but let's roll the dice and see what I get now:

Favorite Race: (Non-Fail - Grey/Fire/Wood/somesuch) Elves
Favorite Template: Dragonborn
Favorite Base Class: Archivist
Favorite Prestige Class: Eternal Blade
Favorite Wizard Spell: Contingency/Instant Refuge
Favorite Cleric Spell: Divine Insight
Favorite Druid Spell: Control Winds
Favorite Other Spell: Giant Size
Favorite Psion Power: Forced Dream
Favorite Discipline Power: Schism
Favorite Psychic Warrior Power: Hustle
Favorite Wildshape Form: Ironmaw
Favorite Infusion: Metamagic Item
Favorite Vestige: Zceryll
Favorite Maneuver: Quicksilver Motion
Favorite Soulmeld: Blink Shirt
Favorite Invocation: Baleful Utterance
Favorite Mystery: Echo Spell
Favorite Utterance: LoL

Marriclay
2010-05-27, 12:28 AM
Race: Human. for the versatility, you understand, but half-ogres get my money for melee characters
Class: Dread Necromancer, hands down
Spell: Nothing beats animate dead. not when creatively used, anyway

Magic Myrmidon
2010-05-27, 12:38 AM
Race: Elf

Class: Couldn't possibly decide, but just from the PHB, Wizard.

Spell: Also too difficult to decide, but I love me some spells like Domination and suggestion.

Ozymandias9
2010-05-27, 01:27 AM
Half Elf

If the class is to play, probably rogue or factotum. I like gratuitous use of the skill system. If its the basic concept, Archivist: I really like books.

Prestige class would be CArc's Geometer: it's math-tastic, and everyone knows that math is delicious.

Spell would be magic missile.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2010-05-27, 01:28 AM
Human, Wizard, Defenestrating Sphere

Dumbledore lives
2010-05-27, 01:38 AM
There needs to be more love for the humble Kobolds, I mean how can you not like him, he's like a puppy, or a dragon, or something in between. Favorite class is a bit more difficult, but I'm going to say Dread Necromancer, or Bard, and for favorite spell, the classic fireball seems good.

mikej
2010-05-27, 10:07 AM
Favorite Class: Druid
Favorite Race: Human
Favorite Spell: Foresight

Malificus
2010-05-27, 12:28 PM
Race: Aasimar with Tiefling a close second

Class: Drunken Master

Spell: Alter self. I've had 1 character out of the last 4 who didn't get a hat of disguise the moment a chance presented itself.

Lateral
2010-05-27, 02:20 PM
There needs to be more love for the humble Kobolds.

Actually, that's 'cause DMs are afraid that if they let PCs play kobolds, then... (PUN-PUN! PUN-PUN! PUN-PUN!)

...Does the concept of 'joking' ring a bell to you, Greenish?

Greenish
2010-05-27, 02:32 PM
Actually, that's 'cause DMs are afraid that if they let PCs play kobolds, then...Kobold, I seem to recall, is not essential. Besides, despite being the height of theoretical optimization, it's ridiculously easy for a DM to see coming and avoid.

lsfreak
2010-05-27, 02:34 PM
Kobold, I seem to recall, is not essential. Besides, despite being the height of theoretical optimization, it's ridiculously easy for a DM to see coming and avoid.

Well, there's actually multiple ways of breaking kobolds, involving Pun-Pun, epic feats, Loredrake, and others. It's less kobolds, and more that dragonwrought kobolds count as dragons, that spawns most of the problems.

Greenish
2010-05-27, 02:36 PM
Well, there's actually multiple ways of breaking kobolds, involving Pun-Pun, epic feats, Loredrake, and others. It's less kobolds, and more that dragonwrought kobolds count as dragons, that spawns most of the problems.Pun-Pun being the one specifically referred to. In white text.

Evil the Cat
2010-05-27, 02:42 PM
Usually I'd go with:

Race: Gnome. I just really enjoy gnomes. I find them an amazing mix of fun and serious.

Class: Wizard. I just love the idea of telling the universe what your rules are. Most of the magic classes are beholden to a deity, or have power based purely on bloodline. There's something about saying, "Through research and practice, I now know how to turn off gravity." that just wins with me.

Spell: This is the toughest for me. There are a few spells I absolutely love. Legion of Sentinels is probably my overall favorite, but there are a number of contenders.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-27, 06:07 PM
Flavor:
Tiefling, Warlock, Eldritch Glaive Massive Claws of Doom

Overall:
Human, Swordsage, Wall of Force (in front of Forcecage because I hate material components. I really like to say "lol no" when the melee gets uppity.)

Harperfan7
2010-05-27, 07:14 PM
Favorite race in fantasy in general, dwarves elves. They are just awesome. There's nothing more really to say except that I admire almost all of their qualities and understand almost all of their drawbacks.

Favorite class/prestige class is scout/swiftblade (Transmuter). Do I really need to explain it?

Favorite spell? Tough. I like Prismatic Spray/Ray, absorption, reaving dispel, black blade of disaster, ruby ray of reversal, blackfire, and Rich's Imperceptible.

Favorite plane: Arborea. Sounds like heaven to me. If I were born in a D&D world, I would move there if possible.

Favorite monster: Again, tough. I'll say fang dragons.

Favorite outsider: Eladrin, but not any in particular (I'm all about CG stuff, obviously). As enemies, I like whichever inevitable it is that defends the gods (they spam dispel and have retardedly high resistances).

Favorite template: Half-fiend. If I want to give a bad guy/thing some extra CR, I give it half-fiend.

Favorite class for a bad guy? Assassin. It has all the cool bad guy stuff with its own unique spells, and they are actually scary in D&D.