PDA

View Full Version : Animal companion feats(Pathfinder/ dnd 3.5)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 02:34 PM
Okay so I'm going to be playing in a Midnight campaign. (for those unfamiliar with the setting, its like lord of the rings it the good guys lost. . . 100 years later. . . )

my character is going to be a halfling wogren rider/ archer.
(wogren are like worgs but good and they have a very close bond with halflings, due to setting circumstances I get to have a wogren as an animal companion even though its a magical beast with an int of 6)

I need to think of good Feats for my animal companion: Based on magical beast progression the wogren will have a good bab. and will get feats through 15 hit dice. I do not get to choose the first feat as that is the feat my wogren will come with. (DM altered as we will be using some pathfinder rules)

These are the levels at which the wogren will gain feats and the hit dice the wogren will actualy have when I am able to select it's feats

1. Skill focus perception (2 hit dice)
3. (5 hit dice)
6. (7 hit dice)
9. (9 hit dice)
12. (13 hit dice)
15. ( 15 hit dice)

Any help is appreciated

Scipio
2010-05-26, 02:49 PM
I need to think of good Feats for my animal companion: Based on magical beast progression the wogren will have a good bab.

From the SRD

An animal companion’s base attack bonus is the same as that of a druid of a level equal to the animal’s HD.

They do not get full BAB. Or is this a change in your mixed system?

I have been running a number of wolf-like encounters lately, and I like the Vexing and Adaptable Flanker feats from PH2. Not exactly power gamey though. Combat Reflexes is always a good option with a trip based build.

Fax Celestis
2010-05-26, 02:58 PM
Evasive Reflexes (Tome of Battle) + Combat Reflexes. If you could take an AoO, you can instead take a 5' step. It's very nice for nimbler characters.

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 03:10 PM

Her animal companion isn't typed Animal, but Magical Beast, which have good BAB (as opposed to animals' medium). That states "Animal HD grants Medium BAB", but when the AC gains HD of another type it's a moot point.

As for animal companion...yeah, if you're riding, Combat Reflexes + Evasive Reflexes (or Sidestep [Miniatures Handbook]) is excellent as Fax said. Martial Studies, particularly for White Raven going for White Raven Tactics rocks (extra turns? Yes plz!).

And it's pretty sensible since you have an Int 6 companion. Likewise, you could consider Fleet of Foot [PGtF/many sources] for extra speed; as a skirmisher on a mount, extra speed should be extra helpful. Overall, things that allow it to protect you or be more elusive seem like a good idea. Does it have Trip-attack? Trying to give it some feats improving tripping could be sensible as that's a fair way to keep someone off your back, though Expertise requires Int 13...

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 03:11 PM
From the SRD

I have been running a number of wolf-like encounters lately, and I like the Vexing and Adaptable Flanker feats from PH2. Not exactly power gamey though. Combat Reflexes is always a good option with a trip based build.

This is in fact different in this system.

The system is allowing that my character have a magical beast rather than an animal. A magical beast has a fighter bab. As this system says only that the companion would progress as normal for a creature of its type at the levels in which it would gain bonus hit dice, the Gm has ruled in favor of d10s and fighter bab as per magical beast.

One should take under consideration that this is a higher power level setting which happens to have an extreamly high mortality rate.

also i should have stated this earlier, Core, Completes, Midnight setting books, and pathfinder only. (if somthing is in both core and pathfinder the pathfinder vreison takes precident)