PDA

View Full Version : 5th level spell

Whyte_Widow
2010-05-26, 03:40 PM
Sorcerer 5th level spell. can decide which to go for on my second spell selection... took greater dimension door. just need a second.

cloudkill seems to be my first choice... any other choices that should be considered?

Eldariel
2010-05-26, 03:44 PM
What array of sources are you working with? From Core, the standouts on this level are:
Lesser Planar Binding
Teleport
Wall of Stone
Contact Other Plane (remember, you're allowed to take 10 on ability checks so you only need +6 to Int-checks to automake it and +3 can come from various items)
Wall of Force
Persistent Image
Baleful Polymorph
Overland Flight
Telekinesis

The exact choice depends on your style; you have SoDs, control, mobility, gamebreakers, "I-know-everything-ever", utility...

Scipio
2010-05-26, 03:46 PM
Sorcerer 5th level spell. can decide which to go for on my second spell selection... took greater dimension door. just need a second.

cloudkill seems to be my first choice... any other choices that should be considered?

I am a big fan of Wall of Force. It is a nice way to split a battlefield.

What type of sorcerer are you?

the humanity
2010-05-26, 03:47 PM
I always enjoyed feeblemind, though Cloudkill does a little more for your buck as long as your DM isn't throwing lots of assassins at you.

if you have Complete Mage, Arcane Fusion is a really good one.

Aron Times
2010-05-26, 03:47 PM
I'd say go for Teleport. Having that spell drastically improves your mobility, being half of the infamous "Scry & Die" tactic. It also lets you run away from encounters that go south unless of course they cast Dimensional Anchor on you.

Curmudgeon
2010-05-26, 03:57 PM
I second the humanity's nomination of Arcane Fusion (Complete Mage, page 96). It's a Sorcerer-only spell, so having it gives you an edge that other classes can't match. Basically you fire off 2 spells as one: a 1st-level and another up to 4th level, in the order you want. It uses up a standard action for both, meaning you can still throw in a swift action spell.

subject42
2010-05-26, 04:01 PM
Cloudkill and arcane fusion are both hard to beat.

How high is your Charisma and where do you normally end up fighting?

If you're almost always in 10x10' rooms fighting golems take arcane fusion.

Whyte_Widow
2010-05-26, 08:54 PM
i am a sorc6/ rog3/ unseen seer2/ arcane trickster3

i have an item called the staff of the six that allows me to cast a greater teleport to anywhere with a large body of water. so teleport isnt that dire as of yet. arcane fusion is right up my alley.

next session i will obtain my circlet of rapid casting (MiC) and so far havent really tapped my potential in my character.

my charisma is a 24 currently. and we do battle in many different atmospheres.

i think humanity hit the nail on the head with arcane fusion.

Tar Palantir
2010-05-26, 08:59 PM
Arcane Fusion, or Wall of Force, take your pick. I love the wall, but AF has all kinds of nifty little applications, especially with True Strike/True Casting plus a ray spell or an SR: Yes spell, respectively.