PDA

View Full Version : Yin Yang Divine Sorcerer (pc concept, 3.5)

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 04:46 PM
The concept: A sorcerer who is able to use both good and evil aligned spells, hopefully some from divine powers. Able to summon celestial and fiendish creatures, as well as becoming an 'avatar' of both good and evil.

Mechanics: Probably a sorcerer with the feat Atune Domain (Celestia+Demonic or Diabolic) who goes into either Inbued sorcerer (cant remembr name, and if she is a Tiefling) or acolyte of the skin (if an aisamar). I will probably be using planar binding to grab some mixed outsider lackeys for her, so any suggestions on that?

Most importantly I wish to ask this: are there any suggestions for this build? and does anyone know where I can find the above mentioned prc? (imbued sorcerer, which is about letting a celestial possess u. I believe it was in a dragon magizine and i found the first two levels on crystalkeep)

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 04:51 PM
Be a Hellbred (FC2, LA +0). They can use both [Evil] and [Good] spells simultaneously, thanks to Evil Exception, and they also get a Cha bonus (Spirit Aspect.)

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 04:56 PM
perhaps. could u give me a brief description? i havent seen that race in ages

PId6
2010-05-26, 04:58 PM
Does it have to be a sorcerer? Perhaps a neutral archivist or spontaneous cleric instead? Divine spells are generally better at expressing alignments and because of domains, it's much easier to get arcane spells on divine lists than the opposite.

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 05:03 PM
it doesnt have to be but I find it harder for a divine caster. this is because I plan to use a lot of different arcane spells (such as spectral hand, planar binding, dimensional anchor, touch of idiocy, e.t.c) mostly for the binding of outsiders, but also to play a little batman occasionally. what would u suggest for a better character?

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 05:04 PM
I don't want to sound rude but it's actually spelled yin yang.

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 05:05 PM
They are basically souls that were a hair away from damnation but have a second chance at life to redeem themselves. Because they were just about to be claimed by a devil, they gain several diabolical abilities (and a sinister look to match) but are typically very fanatic about pursuing the cause of good, since they know exactly where a life of evil can lead.

The most relevant aspect of the race for your concept is that they can use spells with the [Evil] descriptor even if they themselves have a Good alignment. This is true even if they choose to be a divine casting class like Cleric or Favored Soul. A NG Hellbred Cleric can cast both Holy Word and Blasphemy without problems, or (to use your specific request) both Holy Transformation and Infernal Transformation, which would turn you both Celestial and Fiendish as you were planning to do.

WotC talks about them briefly here. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ps/20061204a)

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 05:07 PM
I am sorry about the title, silly mistake on my part :smallredface:

thank u for the description :smallbiggrin: I am really liking the idea now

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 05:10 PM
They are one of my favorite races as well - a great way to get a very dark character into an Exalted party without messing up anyone's vows (including my own.)

Spirit Hellbred also get free telepathy, which you can use to pick up Mindsight (Lords of Madness.)

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 05:13 PM
I've let one of my pcs in a campaign of mine use this race, though that was a long time ago.

In ur personal oppinion what would be the best way to tie in these two things: planar binding and becoming a celestial fiendish character (like aspect of the deity both good and evil)?

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 05:24 PM
The best way is whatever works for you. Personally I would have such a character approach Good and Evil from an academic standpoint. He binds both fiends and celestials because he is trying to understand what aspects of the two opposing philosophies have common ground, and can result in progress.

As others have said, an Archivist is hands-down the best way to represent this, because their approach to religion is 100% academic. No prayer, no piety, no code of conduct.

If you did want to actually be religious though, a cleric of a knowledge deity would work. Oghma's clerics, for instance, can be of any alignment.

Psionics can do this pretty well too. Ardents already have it built in to their class that they can explore the concepts of both Good and Evil simultaneously (and thus, adopt both the Good and Evil mantles.) They also have the ability to become celestial/fiendish (via Planar Apotheosis) and to summon aligned outsiders (via Planar Champion.) Neutral Ardents can choose any version of this power.

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 05:32 PM
Archivist was an idea in my head, the problem is that I have a hard time picturing them having an actual use in doing what i want. perhaps a cleric like u said...

what are some good domains for what I'm doing? I think I'll go by a phylosophy rather then a deity so that I have free range on domains

Human Paragon 3
2010-05-26, 05:33 PM
I strongly recomend you use the "generic spellcaster" class from the unearthed arcana. You can find it on the SRD. They are spontaneous casters who can choose any spell they want. You can also choose to be divine or arcane, so you can be an arcane sorcerer style person but be able to cast good and evil cleric spells.

You can use your bonus feats for spell focuses in good and evil.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 05:35 PM
one idea that I actaully built once as an NPC.

Re-fluff Rainbow Servant to give you good and evil domains (rather than good, air, and law)
Talk a gm into giving it full spellcasting progression? (sacrificing one of the domains may help sway the dm since you dont actually need 3)
Re-fluff the wings so that you have the demon wing/angel wing thing going.

end result: full sorcerer casting, good and evil domains, "good" and "evil" wings that can be fluffed to give you the avatar of good evil feel your looking for. and access to cleric spells.

Rosalinath
2010-05-26, 05:41 PM
I loooove the generic spellcaster idea! and I will look into the rainbow servant idea, I havent seen that in a long time :smallbiggrin: any feats that anyone would reccomend?

Greenish
2010-05-26, 05:55 PM
Talk a gm into giving it full spellcasting progression? (sacrificing one of the domains may help sway the dm since you dont actually need 3)By RAW, it already is, I've been given to understand.

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 05:58 PM
By RAW, it already is, I've been given to understand.

Yes, there are a number of PrCs in Complete Divine whose text gives 10/10 casting while the table does not. By RAW, text trumps table.

In addition to Rainbow Servant, Sacred Fist and Seeker of the Misty Isle are also edited like this.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 06:09 PM
i stand corrected, i never noticed that. . . cool though.

in that case all it takes is refluff. . . and you know. . . think of what you wanna do with that 3rd domain. . .

Greenish
2010-05-26, 06:25 PM
in that case all it takes is refluff. . . and you know. . . think of what you wanna do with that 3rd domain. . .Balance domain is in Player's Guide to Faerūn and Underdark. Not that amazing though.

nedz
2010-05-26, 06:31 PM
I thought yin and yang were usually viewed as male/female ?
Perhaps you just need one of those belts :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 06:33 PM
Other domains that could work (fluff-wise) with a Good + Evil mix:

Community, Competition, Destiny, Inquisition, Knowledge, Madness, Meditation, Pride, Retribution, Summoner, Trickery, Wrath.

I can explain the rationale behind any of these choices if you'd like.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 07:05 PM
oh i like wrath, go with wrath that sounds good. wrath of good or wrath of evil. . . both work!