PDA

View Full Version : Hellbred

mobdrazhar
2010-05-26, 06:10 PM
Hey there Playgrounders,

I was hoping that you could help sort out some confussion when it comes to Hellbred that my group is having. I was wondering if it is a race or a template. The reason we're confussed is because it says something about retaining languages from previous race (AFB atm). And if it is a template what is the LA on it?

thanks in advance for the help.

Flickerdart
2010-05-26, 06:11 PM
Hellbred is a race. It like the Elan, has the fluff of being a creature that underwent a transformation which annulled its previous class and racial abilities.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 06:12 PM
What book is it in?

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 06:12 PM
It is a race. While they are generally based on another race in terms of fluff (usually humans), the idea is that the archdevil's bid to seize them twists them so much that they lose just about everything they had in common with their former lives.

EDIT: They are in FC2.

Boci
2010-05-26, 06:13 PM
Hellbred are a race. The retaining language bit is mostly flavour and its up to your Dm to what exstend you can abuse it.

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 06:16 PM
Hellbred is a race. It like the Elan, has the fluff of being a creature that underwent a transformation which annulled its previous class and racial abilities.

Elan's a bard.

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 06:18 PM
Elan's a bard.

*swats pun*
*posts link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm)*

mobdrazhar
2010-05-26, 06:20 PM
Thanks loads guys!!!

Dr.Epic
2010-05-26, 06:20 PM
*swats pun*
*posts link (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/elan.htm)*

So is there a D&D creature called a "Nale" that's the linear opposite of that?

Greenish
2010-05-26, 06:21 PM
So is there a D&D creature called a "Nale" that's the linear opposite of that?Not anymore, they were too short-lived.

Thrawn183
2010-05-26, 06:22 PM
Of course, the best part is the description in the book about how to roleplay a hellbred, "sulk often." Yes, that's right, D&D supports being an emo.

Tinydwarfman
2010-05-26, 06:23 PM
Not anymore, they were too short-lived.

Indeed, the polar opposite of Elans would be a race that was always a stillborn. AAAAHHHHH! Now I'm thinking of FATAL anakim! Stupid funny campaign journal...

mobdrazhar
2010-05-26, 06:24 PM
Of course, the best part is the description in the book about how to roleplay a hellbred, "sulk often." Yes, that's right, D&D supports being an emo.

Emo makes good for monk :smallbiggrin:

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 06:29 PM
So is there a D&D creature called a "Nale" that's the linear opposite of that?

Rich didn't invent the word elan (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/elan), you know :smalltongue:
Though it does fit the character more than the race.

I love those "how to roleplay X" segments. Kalashtar basically tells you to be a Cloudcuckoolander. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Cloudcuckoolander)

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 06:29 PM
Think in terms of the dragonborn only less broken. . a humanoid race, Dwarf, Elf, Human etc. is taken to hell and tranformed ala Spawn, only not quite so ugly. . .

Description:
His physical form is that of a humanoid with
dark red, smooth skin, or sometimes green scales.
A hellbred usually has horns, though their exact
form varies. He might have a single horn in the
center of his forehead, a pair of short, stubby horns,
or large horns similar to those of a ram. His eyes
shine with a sinister, red glow. These physical
aspects are a parting gift from a hellbred’s onetime
diabolic masters, serving as a reminder of the sins of his
previous life.
While a hellbred’s outer body is a product of Hell, his inner
mind and soul are purged and cleaned by the powers of good.
He retains shadowy, vague memories of his past. The sight of
a onetime ally or enemy triggers a vague sense of unease or
pain, but details or exact memories are no more than shards
of a split second of the past. Freed from the burden of guilt
and the infl uences of those who drove him to evil, a hellbred
is free to seek his own path.

Notice that the description lacks a size modifier. . . . i and Dm's i've played with have always basically said, you loose everything that you were, but there has been dispute over if you would change size.

Greenish
2010-05-26, 06:44 PM
Think in terms of the dragonborn only less broken. .Dragonborn are broken now? :smallconfused:

And anyway, as has been said, hellbred are a race, not a template. When they kick you out of nine hells, they'll stuff your soul into a humanoid-shaped, roughly human-sized package. Since you're avoiding going to hells, not many complain about the squeezing.

Optimystik
2010-05-26, 06:44 PM
Well, the sample one is medium, so I assumed they all were, but you're right in that it doesn't truly specify.

mobdrazhar
2010-05-26, 06:48 PM
that was another reason we were confussed.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 07:02 PM
Dragonborn are broken now? :smallconfused:

Only when someone plays a dragonborn Raptoran who both flies and has a breath weapon (a breath weapon that is better than some class features and stronger than level adjusted races special abilities)

Greenish
2010-05-26, 07:11 PM
Only when someone plays a dragonborn Raptoran who both flies and has a breath weapon (a breath weapon that is better than some class features and stronger than level adjusted races special abilities)Many classes get limited flight by level 6, and everyone flies (or loses) by level 12.

As for the breath weapon, well, I can't think of any class feature one that'd be weaker (Dragon Shaman's starts a bit weaker, but catches up and goes past). Of other templates that grant a breath weapon, well, half-dragons are a joke anyway.

ShadowsGrnEyes
2010-05-26, 07:25 PM
Of other templates that grant a breath weapon, well, half-dragons are a joke anyway.

yes yes they are. but beyond breath weapon there are many level adjusted races weaker than dragon born. . . look at tiefling. . (3.5 tiefling). . . look at aasimar. . . heck look at gensai. . .

Dusk Eclipse
2010-05-26, 07:28 PM
yes yes they are. but beyond breath weapon there are many level adjusted races weaker than dragon born. . . look at tiefling. . (3.5 tiefling). . . look at aasimar. . . heck look at gensai. . .

I don't know about genasi in 3.5 but Tiefling and Aasimar are awesome for the simple fact they are outsiders, hello alter self and eventually polymorph into powerful outsiders, hello martial weapon proficiency, hello gish (tiefling) CoDzilla (Aasimar) so no I don't think those are underpowered compared to Dragonborn

Greenish
2010-05-26, 07:32 PM
there are many level adjusted races weaker than dragon born. . . look at tiefling. . (3.5 tiefling). . . look at aasimar. . .Weird examples. If you don't think being outsider is worth the LA, you can just make lesser versions of those races.

There are races that have more LA than they deserve (*cough*hobgoblin*cough*), but that's hardly an argument against dragonborn.

Thurbane
2010-05-26, 10:41 PM
Hellbred is definitely a race, despite the confusing fluff text that indicates otherwise. The "retain languages known" thing is very poorly worded and ill thought out.

"Hey Mr. DM, my new 1st level Hellbred character was a 20th level Bard before he was reborn, so he knows every language evah!" :smallannoyed:

Dragonborn is another pet peeve of mine. It's the amazing "template that isn't". 1/2 template, 1/2 race; all headache. :smallconfused:

Prime example: Hobgoblin. +2 DEX, +2 CON, darkvision. Yeah, that's about all your +1 LA gets you.

true_shinken
2010-05-27, 08:07 AM
Prime example: Hobgoblin. +2 DEX, +2 CON, darkvision. Yeah, that's about all your +1 LA gets you.
Oh, the injustice! They also get +4 Move Silently! It's balanced, can't you see? /snark

Greenish
2010-05-27, 08:13 AM
"Hey Mr. DM, my new 1st level Hellbred character was a 19th level Bard/1st level druid before he was reborn, so he knows every language evah!" :smallannoyed:Fixed. You weren't thinking munchkinely enough.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-05-27, 08:17 AM
The druidic mindset isn't suitable for most characters, so the roleplaying restrictions entailed by such a concept wouldn't be worth the extra language.

Greenish
2010-05-27, 08:20 AM
The druidic mindset isn't suitable for most characters, so the roleplaying restrictions entailed by such a concept wouldn't be worth the extra language.You're not thinking munchkinely enough, either. :smallwink:

Anyway, says hellbred description: "He retains shadowy, vague memories of his past. The sight of a onetime ally or enemy triggers a vague sense of unease or pain, but details or exact memories are no more than shards of a split second of the past. Freed from the burden of guilt and the influences of those who drove him to evil, a hellbred is free to seek his own path."

So ditch the druidic mindset, it evidently didn't work out too well since you ended up in the hells. :smallcool:

mobdrazhar
2010-05-27, 04:58 PM
sorry guys, just one more Q on the Hellbred... Is there an LA on it? not sure if i missed it or not...

Greenish
2010-05-27, 04:59 PM
sorry guys, just one more Q on the Hellbred... Is there an LA on it?No. ten letters

mobdrazhar
2010-05-27, 05:06 PM
SWEET! Thanks Greenish!

Thurbane
2010-05-27, 07:24 PM
Oh, the injustice! They also get +4 Move Silently! It's balanced, can't you see? /snark
Yeah, it's pretty lousy compared to what a lot of LA +1 races get. It's not even as strong as the Whisper Gnome.

The chief problem is that the high end of +0 get pretty strong, and the low end of +1 can be relatively weak.

Fixed. You weren't thinking munchkinely enough.
Good pickup. :smallwink:

...is Druid the only "class only" language in 3.X, or is there any more?

I'm assuming Truespeak, Words of Creation and Dark Speech don't count for hellbred, as they require specific feats or skills to acquire.

Marriclay
2010-05-27, 07:28 PM
...is Druid the only "class only" language in 3.X, or is there any more?
That's right. Of course, not many people know "Umber Hulk" or "Ethergaunt", so he probably didn't have those before either